Charming | Teen Ink

Charming

By nayelid, New Britain, Connecticut
nayelid, New Britain, Connecticut

Author's note:

short stories are my thing so please enjoy 

She writes down a few notes on her oakwood piece of paper. I know this because of the way  the curves on the edges of the paper almost reach up,out to you grabbing your attention then just to let go and drop and die off.

“ Logan, last session we had a discussion about how you had skinned a stray kitten… how are you doing now?” I hid the smirk that formed on my face by cracking my neck.

“ Yes ma’am I have done the relaxation exercises you have taught me”  she nodded and smiled in content as though she thinks that she is doing right.

“You said you've been on the medication for how long ?”

“ 1, 825 days ma’am or 43,800 hours to be exact ma’am” .She looked straight in my pupils as if she was trying to tell how I may have calculated those answers in a matter of seconds. I responded with a soft lift of my lip muscles. She shifted her weight to her right leg ,leaving her left thigh lifted slightly off her chair, this made it easier for me .

“ Ma’m I understand the the medication has side effects, correct ?”

“ Yes ,Logan, it does ..” I interrupted her with a grin.

“ Would you care to list them for me … it would be a delight to hear them once more!”

She began to read them off her oakwood paper ; around the time she had gotten past insomnia her pace slowed by the slightest millisecond. I closed my eyes and again lifted my lips in the slightest form.

“ Oh, please continue ma’m I would like to hear the rest” she nodded and continued to read. I lifted up from my chair and nodded /at each of the effects that are currently being taken place in my body . Now she is the fool here I am merely making her read off all the reasons why I would love to lynch her. I inched closer to her.It is her fault she is not keeping a watchful eye on me . I take an extra curtain cord that was peacefully hanging against a burgundy lace curtain that had floral patterns that scattered across the cloth as though they were afraid of each other.  I take the chord and wrapped it around her rather large neck , and held it tightly .

“ Ma’m what was that last effect you mentioned?” ,her hands flail wildly in the air, as I felt her esophagus and trachea collapse . I knew it wasn't enough for her heart to fail so I pressed tighter .

“ It was mental instability ma’m how could you forget?”

I let her now limp body drop down to the floor and brushed my hands off . “ A job well done , if I do say so myself …”.I slowly crouched down next to her body and took my phone out of my pocket . I flipped open the top and pressed the camera operation button. The phone clicked and my face and hers appeared on the screen. “ Say cheese Dr.Dunham …” I pulled my cotton based, hooded, sweater over my face so I wasn't visible to the phone and took the photo . When the photo was taken I blurred my face out of the picture.

Her phone rang violently in her pocket so I picked it up and flipped it open so it came to life. I looked to see who was trying to contact Dr.Dunham , and saw that it one of her colleague’s .I opened the phone and answered.

“How yah doin Kathy its Dr. Smith, logan's test results came back I think ya’ll should come over and take a gander at them before the annual charity ball …”

She went on about a very intriguing diagnosis of my mental state that I could not help but laugh at . I flipped the phone off and stood up . “ Well Kathy , looks like i am going to pay your friend a visit at the charity ball” I grinned in delight now excited about my new target . I turned around and see that on her small old fashioned television box was displaying a breaking news alert.

“ One of the world most renowned mental health professionals has been murdered after police found her body only moments ago…” I tilted my head and listened more closely to the news report.

“ Doctor Smith was murdered in cold blood , the murderer then proceeded to send our police department photos of the scene taunting the local NYPD, we assure you whoever you are you will serve justice..” . I stopped for a moment going through my plans and agendas . I knew i couldn't allot for this copy cat to continue so I grinned slightly at the tv. I stared straight into its eyes and spoke,” You think that i am just going to ignore this?.. Well then you are certainly wrong …”.

...

Later that night at the charity ball I saw her, almost an exact replica of my innermost thoughts my deepest desires seemed to be coming to life, crawling out from their mental cages, creating my ultimate rival. Quickly I fixed my name tag in my cotton based suit so it clearly read Dr.Dunham. While strolling through the crowd of rather rambunctious adults, I could hear the clincing of champagne glasses throughout the cavernous halls. I strided over to her quickly , but not impatiently, and glanced at her figure . She didn't seem like the murderous type.

“ Ma’m?” she turned around her mid length brunette hair swung with her head.

“ Good evening sir, y’all having a good time here tonight i hope ?”

“ Yes ma'am , I did have a few questions about the proceeds as to which charity  the money would be going to”. She looked at me I could tell she was nervous because her pupils had decreased in size . I could start to see the precipitation on her upper forehead begin to form and moisten her skin making it slightly shiny. Quickly I reached for her hand pulling her to a distant hall . once there I tore her tag off her dress and scoffed. It read Dr.Smith , it was one of  Dr.Dunham's colleagues on the tag so i pushed her up against the cold granite and pierced into her gaze .

“ Now Dr.Smith , or whoever you are , where is she”

“ Dr.Dunham! How dare you harass me like this! This is not how colleagues work together , were supposed to be two birds of feather, two peas in a pod”

She was playing with my mind. I knew it. She was planning on something and I acted as though I knew.  I let go of her lace like dress . She brushed herself off lighty and acted as though I had caused her real damage, but I could see that she was lying. She had that stupid grin that most amatuer killers have on there first hunt . They act as though they know the whole plan, but she didn't know I wasn't just here to steal my kill back . No. I was here for much more. I know I wont be able to stay in the shadows for much longer so if I want to be remembered and feared I have to go out. With a bang.

“ I am surely not up for your amatuer like games, I am here for a purpose, you on the other hand are here for the rights and claims you get to make afterward” she widened her eyes slightly . As though she was surprised to think I was like her . I smirked softy and took her pin from my hand opening the needle like end .

“ I am here to fulfill something , I never fail..”

I began to increase my tone ,“I never get caught … and I sure do not have any copycats that I leave ...alive” jamming the pin into her neck straight into her windpipe I twisted the needle fifty five degrees to the right causes it to collapse and instant death . I closed my eyes taking in a deep breath then tilting my head cracking my neck in release of pent up anger ,I opened my eyes with a new fire burning brightly, I strided back into the crowd making sure everything was in place  . I stood in the middle of the room and held Dr.Dunham's pin in my hand and pressed a button on it.

“ Now to end this madness once and fo...”