Dear Diary | Teen Ink

Dear Diary

March 3, 2018
By HalieHastie BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa
More by this author
HalieHastie BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

In creative writing we were tasked with a 3000-5000 word piece. I scrolled through some prompts til I came across one that said "Dear Diary, today was a good day.today I didn't have to kill anybody"

I took that prompt and this is what came of it. 

Jolly old Saint Nicholas lean your ear this way, don’t you tell a single soul what I’m bout to say…
“Daddy how much longer”?
“Just a little longer Ally pop, Grandmas is just around the corner”.
Snow fell heavily as the family of four made their way to Grandma’s house for the holidays. It was dark and the snow had already accumulated to a few inches. The girls had grown quiet as the glow of colored Christmas lights faded behind the taillights on the outskirts of town. It was Christmas eve and warm cookies and presents waited on ornate plates and the most elegantly embellished tree. It was supposed to be a wonderful time of year but that all was changing. Coming around the bend the car began to spin out of control. The youngest Ally looked confused, she didn’t know what was happening but she knew that cars were not supposed to spin. Valintine gripped the door panel anticipating the crash as her father furiously tried to regain control of the wheel. Her mother began crying knowing that the edge of the ravine lay ahead of them and was fastly approaching. The car slid through the night in the compiling snow, breaking through the rail, tumbling down and resting upside down at the bottom of the ravine. Unconscious the four lay there in the silence the snow showing no mercy. Hours later when the family hadn’t arrived and a quick 911 dial the grandmother stood over her daughter and family weeping. The girls battered up and shaken sat beside their parents' bodies, wrapped in blankets that could keep their bodies warm...but not their souls.

Dear Diary,
After several weeks of paperwork, folding chairs, and small square rooms they finally found a willing foster home to take in my sister and I. Sarah our social worker knocked softly on the heavy wooden door, but swung the door wide open before I could mutter “come in”.
Sarah was a sexy woman. She’s slender and her Spanish origin shows through her array of pantsuits and pencil skirts. For a lady who worked specifically in foster care, she wasn’t the best with children and I never saw any real emotion cross her face. Behind her kind eyes and bright white smile, I saw the menacing seductress that hid inside of her.
Ally pop was curled up in the bench seat on the far side sleeping under her coat. I wish that I was just a couple of years older than I could have become her Guardian and we wouldn’t be holed up in these stupid ass rooms 24/7.
“ Valintine,  great news a couple has agreed to take you and your sister. Your moving in tonight. I just need some signatures from you and we’ll be on our way”
  “Where are we moving to?”
“ Garden Grove Iowa. it’s a small town, hope you like country music”.
I didn’t particularly like country music but that's beside the point. A couple was willing to take two 16 and 6-year-old girls, and that was something that didn’t normally happen. Not unheard of but rare.
I was just glad to be getting out of this room. I signed on the dotted lines and gently woke Ally up. She deserved better than this. She’s only six. She should be playing with dolls and pretend to dress up, instead, she’s been cooped up in various rooms all of the same shape and size.
Real light doesn’t exist in places like this and the AC is always set at frigid temperatures.  For girls that just lost their parents, you’d think they could comfort us a little better.
Sarah beams her smile at me with a glare that says to hurry up, she’s busy and would rather jump into another case than spend her time driving us to Iowa.
With heavy coats and gloves, we carried our bags out to a van while everyone in the building seemed to be watching.  The ditsy lady at the front desk actually turned her head to follow us out with her gaze. Annoyed I said “take a picture it lasts longer” and she snarled her nose and spun in her chair to face the opposite direction.
It was dark outside, it must have been around 8 o’clock. I don’t even know what day it is. It was Thursday when we got here but judging by the amount of time we’ve been sitting in that windowless room it’s probably Sunday or Monday. The time I guess didn’t matter to the people at the organization. 

Dear Diary,
It took several hours to drive to Garden Grove Iowa. I unbuckled and sat on the edge of the seat watching as Sarah clicked her heels down the salted sidewalk to the in desperate need of repair front porch and carefully stepped up to the door. She knocked and a few moments later a heavy set woman answered the door.
From my place in the car, I could see the woman look at Sarah like it was more obvious than the obvious that she didn’t belong. From the looks of it, this was going to be interesting. It was going to be really different here. With these new people in this new life that is being forced upon us. I scanned the property and found my way back to the woman, at that exact moment she looked over Sarah’s shoulder to the van. I swear if this tinted window wasn’t between our gazes she would be staring right at me, and for a moment she looked a little scared.

Dear Diary,
  Sarah basically threw us on the doorstep and left without the slightest of good-byes. No here’s my card, call me if you need anything, not even I hope you like it here and I’ll miss you. Truth was, she wouldn’t be missing us and she didn’t care if this placement was the best thing for Ally and me.
Miss May was the woman that would be taking on the role of our mother and Daniel was our new daddy. She was a housewife and he works on the pig farm up the road a couple of miles. You could tell that he’d been at the job more many years as his hands were marked with scars and calluses. His blue jeans were worn and his t-shirt sported logos for the town's only grocery store.
Miss May was a sweet gal, she helped us through the door but never spoke to us until she checked behind the curtains to the front of the house. I suppose she was checking to see if Sarah Had left yet. Maybe she was having last-minute doubts about foster the two of us. When she came away from the curtains she extended her hand to me “you must be Alaxandria”?
“I’m Valintine, Alaxandria is my sister. She Mostly goes by Ally”.
“That’s great to know...how bout I show you to your rooms”. I knew this was going to be new and from the outside, I didn’t expect that I’d have my own room.
Miss May lead us down the hall on the Main Level to the back of the house. On the far living room wall, there was a gallery of pictures. I could only make out a few of the pictures before we were in the hallway. They were children. Two girls that looked to be about the same age as Ally and I. May and Daniel didn’t look that old, no way had the girls grown up already. Maybe there was an accident. How tragic. We arrived at our rooms at the same moment and the thought crossed my mind (are we safe here?). May stood in the hallway with her back against the wall facing us. She stretched her arms wide pointing to the two rooms across from each other like she wanted us to pick, though it was obvious which room was for whom by the way that they were decorated. Ally and I shared a look of worry and went our opposite directions stepping slowly through our door frames.
“Dinner will be ready in 20 minutes, be waiting at the table then”, May closed the doors simultaneously blocking my view into Allys room leaving me to myself. I set my bag on the bed and began to take things out. I struggled to keep myself as I knew that Ally was all alone and probably scared. I went to the door and pulled open the door stepping once again into the hall.
  “Better get back in that room of yours, girl!!” Daniels harsh voice roared from the living room startling me, throwing me quickly back into my room all alone. I pulled the soft purple comforter back and slid onto the bed, and I cried. The first time I had cried since the accident. I let as much of it out as I could and dried my eyes.
My newest experience here wasn’t pleasant. there was no way I was going to be late for dinner, let alone with puffy eyes and tear trail. A minute before the twenty minutes was up I stepped into the hall cautiously surprised at the absence of a scolding and opened Allys door. By the looks of it, she had just sat there waiting the whole time not understanding what she needed to do. She took my hand and we made it to the table just as May was bringing out bowls of warm soup. As she set the bowl down in front of me I said Thank you and then Ally did the same, knowing enough to follow my lead.
Miss May sat and watched us spilling looks of affection and worry. She was definitely hiding something. The old me would have drilled her with questions till I got the answers that I wanted, but this wasn’t normal circumstances and judging by the events during the short time that we’ve been here, I was certain that a fire was burning under the pot and something foul was cooking. 

Dear Diary,
Miss May knocked softly and let herself in at the ass crack of dawn to get me up before Daniel. In her sincere way, she led me to a room upstairs. When we first entered it looked like an ordinary room. It was completely different from the deadbeat real estate downstairs, painted in light Pastels and a white four post fit for a Southern Belle.
“Valentine dear, I want you to spend some time up here. Read the books on the shelves and explore the clothes in the closet, see what fits. I’m going to try to convince Dan to move you up here, it’s nicer and I think you’ll find it more comfortable for your studies”.
I was nervous and excited, this room was so big and not so run down. The lighting here was even brighter. I was seriously in love with it, But then the distance between Ally and I hit me and I wasn’t so sure that this was a great idea. I mean what if this was all just an act and it all turned into one big s*** show, and I wasn’t close enough to save Ally from whatever horrors these two small-town hicks could come up with.
  “Thank you, Miss May. You have been so kind to us, I really appreciate it”.
And with that, she left me to myself.
I explored the expansive room running my fingers across the paneled walls, laying under the warm sunlight in the window seat, memorizing the bathroom, and spinning in the walk-in closet. Man, it was better than my old room.
Later Miss May brought Ally up, I was thankful that I could see her. I hadn’t left the room as I was unsure of the rules. Last night when I had tried to leave my room I was scolded, did the same rules apply up here? May looked into my eyes seeing the questions and let Ally loose to explore the room, but not too closely she added.
May leaned in and whispered “Daniel said it was fine, he’s not too happy but he’ll get over it. You won’t have to worry about him up here, his feet ain’t shuffled cross this carpet in years”.
“Thank you again, but since this is our home now and we’ve only just gotten here, what are the rules”? May seemed distraught by the question but looked at me squarely and said
“Honey don’t you worry about the rules, they with become clear soon enough”.
Miss May, in the small amount of time that we had been in her care, had done a great job of showing her southern hospitality and leaving me to myself with more questions that I could ask or that I should ask for that matter.
May called for Ally and told me that she would bring my lunch up later. As much as I didn’t want to leave my baby sister alone, I obeyed and continued to get acquainted with my new surroundings.
As much as my situation was despairing and made me uncomfortable, in some ways it seemed like this was one of the best things that have happened to me. Here, in this room, I finally felt as if I had the potential to be the type of person that I was always made to be. Writing always came naturally to me and I could see myself pen and paper scrolling page after page creating whimsical poetry and adventurous love affairs.
The first task I decided was going to be going through the closet. As a girl, of course, I was excited about wardrobe. Immediately I noticed that they all had the same southern appeal. Flannels and matching undershirts. I suppose it wasn’t that different from what I was wearing now. I mostly wore jeans and semi-nice shirts.
On the bedside table was a digital alarm clock, when it read 11:30 Miss May entered the room to bring me a grilled cheese sandwich.  Lost in the rows of clothes I had almost forgotten that time exists and that food was essential for the body to survive.
“Valentine, sweetie, come out of there and eat this. It’s important that Y'all get your three meals a day in”.
“Yes, Miss May”.
“How are you liking the clothes”?
“Just fine, they aren’t too different from what I wear. I think that I’ll get along in them”.
“Great, you let me know when you have any questions ok”.
“ yes, ma’am”.
And with that Miss May was gone again.
The day was only nearly half over and I was only about halfway through the closet. At about 1 o’clock I finally reached the back. Reaching for a colorful blouse on the top bar I caught my hip on something on the wall and I cringed doubling over in burning pain. Curious as to what the cause of my pain was I studied the area. To my surprise against the back wall was another door. At first, you wouldn’t be able to notice it, but when you got close enough you could see the Handle plain as day.
The Handle had been painted the same color as the wall and the door was one of the ones that had no definition just seemed like it was part of the wall. When I tried the knob it was locked. I wondered if there was a key? If there was even a place to put a key that is? With a few frustrated minutes of searching, I found the keyhole. It was practically nonexistent but present all the same. I think this would be a good time to get May up here.
Daniel had surely been at work by now so I crept down the stairs and peeked around the corner.
May was in the kitchen coloring with Ally.
 
“Hey Ally pop, watcha up to”?
“Colorin with Miss May”.
“Can I see”? She stops scribbling on the paper and slides it in my direction. To my horror, she has drawn our accident the one that killed our parents. May and I share a sad look of dismay and she offers me the plate of cookies she baked this morning. I take the plate and with intense eye contact turn and leave, silently signaling that she is needed upstairs. I wait and I wait and its midnight before May finally returns to my new room. The only news she brings this time is that I should pick an outfit out and get some rest, we’re starting school tomorrow.

Dear Diary,
May got me up first, I was beginning to see a pattern. As I ate breakfast she got Ally up and dressed and brought her to the table for a quick bowl of cereal. She rushed us out into the icy air and shoved us into the backseat of her station wagon. There wasn’t much too tiny Garden Grove, and honestly, even if it hadn’t been dark when we arrived we wouldn’t have been missing out on much. We pulled up in front of the elementary school and May left me in the car while she dragged Ally in. I could see that May had motherly instincts but that she was lacking a quality, a real connection. Like she was rushing and she never rested.
The short ride down the street to the junior high, high school was silent. May pulled up to the curb and glared at me through the rearview mirror. I could see that I was on my own here. I climbed out and as quickly as I could to avoid the cold walked into the building.
I was thankful when I saw that it was a fairly easy set up on the inside, and the main office was right there waiting for me. Some of the kids stared at me as they passed taking note that they had never seen me before so I must be a new student. Once in the office, I stood against a tall dark oak desk in front of who I presumed to be the secretary.  
“New student”?
“Yes, ma’am”
“The counselors' office is around the corner first door on the right”
“Thank you”.
Not worried that I would find it I swung around the desk around the corner and was met by a big burly man. An unfamiliar face I was he stuck his beefy hand out towards me
“You must be our new student, my name is Mr. Wilson. I am the principal”.
  “Yes, I’m the new student. My name is Valintine White”.
“Nice to meet you Valintine White. Class is about to begin so let’s get you in to see Mr. X and get your schedule situated”.
In my head, I was thinking oh great another two-faced counselor and a tiny office space. Because I hadn’t seen this picture enough in the last 8 weeks of my life. As we walked in though I saw that this was far from a tiny office and that this Mr. X was more eccentric than he was two-faced.
  “Damn”
“What was that”?
  “Oh nothing”
Mr. Wilson let me in and shut the door behind me. Left standing awkwardly by the door I watched as Mr. X sat watching me. This was weird, I just got to this town only to find out that they are all a bunch of freaks.
“Valintine White”
  “Yes”?
“Here is your class schedule, Julia is the student aide in the office this period. Enlist her help to get to your first class. Goodbye”.
A little nervous and weirded out I crept forward and took the paper he was holding out to me and quickly turned and walked out. Before I could get out the door a small freckle-faced girl was there asking me all kinds of questions
“What’s your name”?
“Where did you move from”?
“What grade are you in”?
“Do we have any classes together”?
  “Julia”?
“Yes”
She stopped with the babble and was silent, waiting for whatever I said next.
  “Can you help me to my class or am I gonna have to find someone who can”?
“Lord I can do it, let me see”
So I showed her my classes and she smiled when she saw that we have gym together.
When we arrived at my first class, which was stupid ass science Julia handed me back my schedule and told me that my teacher would assign someone to show me, my next class. Hesitantly I cracked the door open just enough to get through and slid in.
Maybe I was expecting some big class interruption where the teacher announces my name and asks me where I’m from, but that didn’t happen. Instead, the teacher pointed to a seat in the back and I took it. When the final bell rang the teacher called Anthony out and a boy came over and she whispered something to him. He nodded his head and looked my direction. He was clearly going to be my next guide. I walked up and he smiled holding out his hand
“Hi, I’m Anthony”
I took his hand, my stomach fluttered as I replied back with my name “Valintine White”
“Beautiful, as you are. Can I call you Val”?
I blushed barely managing to get “yes” out of my lips.
“Great, right this way Val” and he led me away to the next class.
“After you” At first I thought he was just going to be sure that my teacher knew that I was new here but then he took a seat and I knew that we had this class together too. He had seen my schedule so he knew what classes we would have together and when he shot me a wink I knew that I would be seeing a lot more of him than I probably ever had anticipated.
The day dragged and the best parts were passing periods when he walked me to our next class and pointed at every little detail that came with full stories of football state championship games and corny valentines day dances. I was starting to think that maybe school here wasn’t going to be so bad. I could at least count on two people who would be considered friends. Anthony and Julia.
At lunch Anthony told me all about his life, come to find out that his dad is the same pig farmer that Daniel works for. How Ironic that we would meat right? I spent the rest of the day mesmerized by Anthonys ability to recall events in exact detail. In the fifth period when Mrs.Locke Announce that we would be having a class discussion on To Kill  A Mockingbird on Monday, Anthony quickly invited me to his House and offered to catch me up.  I told him that I would love to but would have to check with Miss May first.
It was odd, every time I mentioned Daniel or Miss May his eyes glossed over like he had another story to tell me but it was one he’d been forbidden to tell. The same way his eyes glossed when we passed a memorial on one of the lockers. He had seemed upset about it so I didn’t bother to ask. I figured if he wanted me to know that he would make damn sure I did.
His only response was “ok”.

Dear Diary,

School was awesome. Well the parts with Anthony in them anyway. When we got home Miss May sent us to our rooms to sit at our desks and do our school work. I knew she wouldn’t speak to me again for a little while especially because she was going to help Ally with her grammar words, which for a country small town they seemed to take a lot of pride in using properly.
I finished what school work I understood and then scanned through the bookshelves. All the classics and an array of authors all in the mystery genre. I picked an Agatha Christie Novel off the shelf and spread out on the bed to read. Lost in the chaos of a murder scene I was startled when Miss May called to me from the bottom of the stairs for dinner.
Dinner was bland tonight, Mashed potatoes and dry Salisbury steak.  Daniel didn’t seem to mind though and he scarfed it down. We didn’t say much and the silence was killing me so I finally just asked what I had been waiting to ask all day
  “Miss May, Daniel, would it be ok if I went to the pig farm this weekend so that Anthony can catch me up on To Kill A Mockingbird for our class discussion on Monday”?
The couple shared a glance. My nerves flip-flopped my stomach and they hesitantly answered
“Why don’t you go tonight? Daniel has to go and do night chores anyway, it’ll take him a little while, plenty of time for you to get what you need”. I
I wasn’t sure about just showing up, but if they thought it would be ok I suppose it probably was.
   “I suppose that would make sense, thank you”.
“Anytime sweetheart. Dan usually leaves about half an hour after supper. Be ready when he is, he’s your ride”.
  “Ok, thanks”.
And the rest of the dinner was quiet.
I was ready to go with my notebook and pencil by the back door when Daniel swooped in and motioned for me to follow him. He climbed into his beat up old chevy and unlocked the passenger side door. I jumped almost literally into the seat and was hit with sudden and momentary fear when there wasn’t a seatbelt for me to buckle up with.
Before I knew it we were pulling into the driveway at the pig farm, which you could tell was a pig farm because it smelled rank and disgusting. Daniel Pointed to the house and left me to go do his nightly chores.
I knocked on the front door and was greeted by a woman. She smiled and opened the screen door for me
“Come in, Come in, you must be Val. Anthony mentioned you when he asked if you could come over”.
  “Yeah, we had planned on this weekend sometime but May and Daniel said tonight would be fine”.
“Of course, your welcome here anytime”.
“ANTHONY”!!!
   “YEA MOM”!?
“Val Is here, she’s ready for your study date”.
   “Mooooom, it’s not a date, I’m helping her get caught up”.
She smiled knowingly and left us.
   “Sorry about her, she’s kinda crazy sometimes”.
  “I don’t mind. As long as we both know that this is soooo not a date”
I was blushing and I hope he couldn’t tell, but his cold sweat was obvious and given that Valentines day was next week I was sure that we both felt attracted to each other.
I followed him to the living room and we sat on the vintage puffy sofa that had probably been in the family for ages. The fact that he’s a storyteller just made his description of what I had missed all the more fascinating. I wanted to stay and listen but it was getting late. At around seven thirty, Anthony looked around nervously like something was missing and he was trying to find it.
  “What’s wrong”?
   “It’s nothing”.
  “It’s something”.
   “It’s just… just...every night at this time mom comes in to watch desperate housewives, and she’s not here. She’s never late. Ever”.
  “Well, I’m sure she’s fine. She’s probably doing laundry or something”.
I had barely noticed it but I had definitely noticed, that In the middle of this short worried conversation the screen door had creaked open then slammed shut. It probably would have been a useful thing to notice before the scream that rang out loud and clear. Before Daniel was dragging the Mrs into the living room by her hair with a steak knife pressed against her throat.
“VALINTINE, THIS IS YOUR LIFE NOW”
And he slit her throat holding her head back so that the blood wasted no time draining on the floor in front of us.
Anthony stood in horror as his mother bled out too scared to scream and too devastated to cry. I wanted to say something but couldn’t find the words. I was scared and confused and wanted to know why this was my life and not Daniels.
“YOUR TURN”
He looked me in the eyes and tilted his head motioning towards Anthony.  I looked at Anthony and his eyes filled with tears
“No, please No, Please”
“YOU HAVE NO CHOICE, NOW DO IT”.
He handed me the steak knife and I gagged at the way the handle was covered in hot sticky blood.  Knowing that I had no choice in this, and if I didn’t then I would probably be next I stepped up close to Anthony and wrapped my arms around him.
Through streaming tears I cried into him and whispered “I’m sorry, I love you”, and ran the blade across his neck.
His blood splattered everywhere drenching me and I pulled away letting him fall to the floor next to his mother to rest in a puddle of their own blood. P
Terrified and unable to move, or to do anything Daniel threw me over his shoulder and dropped me in the passenger seat and sped home. The deed had been done.
May was waiting for us when we got back. Her eyes were glossy but her facial expressions were hard, she had known all along the plan for tonight.
She took my hand and led me to my room. It had its own Master bathroom. She undressed me and bathed me with little help from me. When I washed off the blood she tucked me into bed and prayed. She prayed to god, that I do not go to hell for the sins I had committed. She cried, but she kept her voice down. She asked for forgiveness saying it wasn’t my fault. That not I, not her, not even Daniel was behind this. She prayed that the devil she should be brought to justice.
I laid there and listened taking in her words learning truths as she prayed to God, praying for the safety of her girls, and for the safety of the girls that are now in her care. She prayed that she would meet the kill quota they were given so that she might see her daughters again.
I laid there and I understood. Ally and I hadn’t come here to be foster kids. We came here to be kid killers in order to meet a kill quota. There was only one thing I wanted to know.
May had finished her prayers and was about to leave, I grabbed her arm before she could get away and said: “who did this”?
A tear fell to the bed sheets and she whispered in utter disgust “Sarah”.

Dear Diary,
I was numb from what I’ve done. When I woke up in the morning I was still expected to go to school. I don’t know how but then again I guess if I fell into a pit of depression and sketchy behavior, no one here would notice because they would have no other behavior to compare it too.
It didn’t take me long to learn where everything was, and when I made it to class on my own I was sad that I had walked from my last class alone. People were starting to notice that Anthony was missing, he was one of those kids that never missed. Every time his name was said I bit my tongue till the metallic taste of my own blood swirled around my mouth and I cringed. 
I wasn’t into the work and I mostly kept to myself. I even Pushed Julia away when she approached me in gym class.
When I got home that day I went right to my room, did my school work and got into bed. Knowing the truth was bad enough, but having to live with the fact that your hands had taken a life on purpose. That you didn’t even hesitate, that you just did it. There might have been something I could have done. I could have saved him, he’s dead because of me.
My eyes burned, exhaustion washed over me and I curled into a ball where I fell to sleep. I woke up screaming gasping for air, and a few seconds later Miss May was at my bedside trying to console me. When I stopped shaking and air filled my lungs fluidly she left and brought back a plate of food.
I ate and gained as much composure as I could. I wanted to see my sister. I stood inches from the door with my hand hovering over the handle. I took a deep breath and pulled myself through the doos. Like a creepy stalker dude, Daniel was leaning against the wall in the hallway. He didn’t say anything just gave me a look of dismay. My feet touched every step lightly and then I was at Allys door. I knocked politely and went in.
“Ally Pop, whatcha up to”?
  “Watching cartoons”.
“Can I watch with you”?
  “Mmhmm”.
And I crawled into her bed and cradled her in my arms. We lay there for hours watching cartoon after cartoon until I remembered yesterday night and the way it felt to run the blade across flesh and feel the spots of heat where drops of crimson liquid landed where my bare skin was exposed. Terrified I stepped out of bed and ran back to my room where I bawled until I was all dried up and my body ached, and I found myself drifting off to sleep again.

Dear Diary,
Today is Saturday and Daniel woke me up to take me into town. I thought maybe it would be a good thing but I was wrong. We approached Suzana's’ diner, and I couldn’t help notice the closed sign in the window. We snuck around back and slipped through the back door. We made little noise and Suzana was at the sink with her back to us. I suddenly Understood why we were here and I wasn't going to like this.
Following Daniels lead, I took a rolling pin off the counter, different from the pan he snatched and was slowly creeping. I tripped and knocked over a stack of cups. I had blown our element of surprise. And Daniel swung almost missing her but making a full blow to the head, he pulled me forward and guided my arms in short powerful blows striking her face every time. I closed my eyes and waited for it to be over. When I opened them again I was back in the truck and we were headed home. I understood and yet I didn’t. Why was this happening to us, to them and what the hell was Sarah's motive for doing this?

Dear Diary,
It’s been a few days but nothing much has changed. We went to church on Sunday, I barely said two words in the discussion on Monday, and I caught the police coming out of the office after school. Not only was I involved in the murders at the farm, I was in on the murder at the dinner, that was crawling with cops and strung in yellow do not cross tape when we passed it on the way to school. I was scared but I couldn’t let it show. So I walked as fast as I could holding my head high and yelled at May to get the hell outta here as fast as she could. 
I went to my room like I always do and did my work. When I came down for dinner I was surprised to see the one the only Sarah sitting at the dinner table all smiles and lies. She knew what I had done and she flashed me a smirk that was both evil and amused.
“Have a seat darling, we have news to discuss, shall we over a delicious meal”?
  “But of course”.
I wanted to call her out on her bull s*** and call her a b**** but I knew that I was potentially in the same room and Hitler and thought it best to keep to myself.
We sat and we ate and despite the gruesome way my kills had made me feel I pictured her death over and over again at my hand.
Later when Ally had gone to bed, we were all still at the table. May and Daniel had made their quota, just barely. Sarah and May went back and forth for awhile, but I didn't catch a single word they said, I was too busy plotting.
Sarah stood and leaned down behind me putting the crook of her elbow against my neck and placing her hands perfectly. She was using me as bait. May looked at me a slight smile on her face. She knew where to find her girls.
Then Daniel was there fast as lightning to protect me, he thrust his butter knife into her side and she backed away doubling over in pain.
Not letting it get to her too much she broke her glass and lashed out striking Daniel in the temple. He fell to the floor, unmoving. I knew from experience that he wasn’t breathing. 
Without thinking I took the short window of time while Sarah's back was to me and rammed my knife into her back and shoved her forward. She found the edge of the table and hit the floor hard. Cautiously I approached her as May ran to help Daniel. I placed my fingers on her neck, no pulse.
May started to sob and I knew that this was also the end of the road for Daniel. We put the bodies in the basement and cleaned the house. And went to bed. May told me that we’d alert authorities on the way to get the girls in the morning.

Dear Diary,
Today I didn’t have to kill anyone, today was a good day. Today I was a hero. Today I was a hero with a dark past that no one knew about. Today I was reborn as a blank canvas. Today was the day that I began to live with my new dark impulses. Today I became a Murder Mystery all my own. For if my name is not Valintine White, a girl, an orphan, a Killer.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.