Jigsaw | Teen Ink

Jigsaw

By BrennenP17, Turner, Maine
BrennenP17, Turner, Maine

“Hello Steven” a voice said over an intercom, “I’d like to play a game. I know who you are and you should know why you’re here.”

“Where am I?” Steven said, the intercom remained silent. He said it again “WHERE AM I?”

“I’m afraid I can’t tell you that.” The voice said. “But I am going to give you a chance. ahead there are a series of tests where you have to choose other people’s fates. All of these people have something to do with the death of your son.”

“My son” Steven sad in tears “YOU’RE CRAZY, YOU’RE FREAKIN’ CRAZY!”

Steven looked across the room and saw a door which said in big, bold letters “FIRST TEST” he walked over to the door. He saw a tape player that said “Play Me.” He pressed the play button. It was the same voice that was over the intercom. “The woman that you will see behind this door is Jessica Levesque, the woman that witnessed your son’s death.” He said “You had better hurry if you want to save her.” Followed by a cough. The tape ended. He opened the door and what he saw inside was horrific.

Steven saw a woman chained to a pipe. The room was freezing cold and he saw two sprays on either side of her, soaking her with freezing water. He saw a lever inside of a barred cage that was covered in frost. Also there were two keys inside. One for him, and one for the woman. “Oh what the heck.” Steven said under his breath
“Help me!” The woman screamed. Then she got sprayed again, she screamed again.
“Ok, give me a second.” Steven said as he reached into the cage, trying not to touch the bars. He couldn’t reach, so he reached further and further until his face touched the bars. He screamed in pain as well. He pulled back but his face was stuck to the bar. He pulled harder and he felt his skin ripping from his face. He pulled off to see a piece  of his face stuck to the bar.

“This is gonna suck.” Steven said as he reached in and grabbed both keys and flipped the lever. He turned around and saw the woman completely covered in a layer of ice. “Dang it!” Steven exclaimed and collapsed into tears. After a minute of crying, he started to remember something. He remembered his son calling him. He ran into his room. “What’s wrong, Jacob?” Steven said.
“Can you check my closet?” Jacob said. “I heard a noise.”
“Of course I can.”
He checked it and saw nothing but clothes. “It’s empty, make sure you get some sleep.”
“I love you daddy.”
“I love you too Jake” Steven said as he kissed him on the head.

The week after, Steven’s son died by a drunk driver hitting him as Jake was crossing the road. Steven’s son died in his arms. Steven swore that he would kill the man who killed his son. The next week, Steven sat on Jake’s bed with his face in his hands. He looked over and saw his son’s stuffed animals all in a line, untouched. Next to Steven sat a revolver. He put one bullet in and put it to his head. He spun the wheel and put the gun to his head. He pulled the trigger and it clicked empty. He began to cry. And then his daughter walked in.
“What’s wrong daddy?” She said.
“Daddy’s just going through a lot right now.”
“Why do you have a gun?” She asked.
Steven sighed and told his daughter to leave him alone. He cried some more.

After the memories flowed through his mind, he decided to move on. He walked into the next room. This one was even more diabolical than the last. There was one chamber with two people in it. There were two ropes that went into the sides of the chamber. He grabbed the ropes and a television turned on with a ventriloquist puppet staring out at the screen. “ This trap is probably one of the most clever trap I could come up with.” The voice said. “Those ropes that you are holding are keeping those two alive, so I wouldn’t let go if I were you. Below them is a pool of hydrochloric acid. You must choose one person to kill. One is an innocent person, and the other is the lawyer of the man that killed your son. Choose wisely.” The screen went dark. “Oh my god.” Steven said. And he went looked over to the chamber.

“Help me!” a man said, muffled by the bag over his head. The other one had a bag over his head as well. Steven looked at the acid and back at them. “Which one of you let my son’s killer get away?” Steven said. No responses from either one. Steven started to think about the lawyer's voice. And then he listened for it in the chamber. The man on the left screamed again. It didn’t sound like the lawyer’s voice, so he dropped the one on the right. As he fell from the platform, the bag fell off of his head, Steven chose the right man. The door on the far side of the room opened up and he walked through. He almost felt satisfied with what he did.

“Amanda, bring her in.” Jigsaw said. Amanda wheeled in a girl on a wheelchair. She was unconscious. “Put on the device.” Jigsaw ordered. Amanda strapped on a neck strap with four bomb on all sides of her neck. Amanda pressed a button and the chair started sending an electrical current through itself. The girl woke up with a jolt.
“Hello Stephanie.” Jigsaw said. “I need your help.”
“Where am I?!” She looked down and saw three bombs on her neck.
“Yes, those are bombs on your neck.” Jigsaw said. He chuckled and the chuckle turned to laugh and then the laugh turned to a cough. He looked at his hand and it had blood on it.
“You sound awful.” Stephanie said. “Why do you need my help?”
“I have a tumor in my brain.” Jigsaw said. “I don’t have very long to live and I still have one more thing that I need to do. I need a little more time.”
“O-Ok I think I can do that. First, I’ll need to take a look.”

Steven opened the door to the next chamber. There was a man who looked about twenty strapped into a stretcher. On a table next to him was a tape player. He played it.
“This is the man that killed your son.” The voice on the player said. “There are 4 keys in this room. You have ten minutes to find them all. Or else the stretcher that he is laying on will send a lethal electrical pulse through his body. Good luck.”
Steven scrambled around the room in search for the four keys. He found one lodged in a steam pipe. He pulled and felt a sharp pain. He looked at his hands and they were blistered from burns. The key was hot from the steam pipe. He looked around and saw no other way to take the key out. So he grabbed the key and pulled. His hands were burning. He finally pulled the key out. It was still hot. But he rushed to the stretcher and unlocked one strap. He searched some more.
He found another one in a glass container filled with a yellow liquid. There was a piece of paper on the glass that said “HYDROCHLORIC ACID.” He took a minute to find the courage to reach in there. He did it. He pulled out the key and dropped it on the floor. His hand was in excruciating pain. He wiped his hand on his shirt to try to get rid of the acid. He picked up the key and ran back to the stretcher. He unlocked the second strap and he found the third key sitting deep inside of a crematory. He couldn’t reach it, so he put his body inside to grab it. The crematory was tight so he had to wriggle through. The temperature was rising.
He looked down and saw a fire starting beneath him. He had to hurry. He grabbed it and turned around. The door was closed! He panicked and crawled to the door. It wouldn’t budge. The door was locked. He continued to panic and then he calmed down. He remembered all the people he killed to get to where he was now. How he tried to take his own life. He laid down and accepted the fact that he deserved this. The fire started to blaze. It went up and touched his back. He winced in pain. And the fire rose to the top of the crematory completely engulfing him in flames. This was the end for Steven. The last words he heard over the intercom were “Game over.”

“Oh my god,” Stephanie said “this is the worst brain tumor I have ever seen!”
“Is there anything that I can do to help?” Amanda asked.
“Yeah, can you pass me that razor?”
Amanda handed Stephanie the razor. She turned it on and shaved Jigsaw’s head. When she was done, she grabbed a scalpel. “I’m gonna need you to stay as still as you can, okay?”
“Okay.” Jigsaw said in a raspy, weak voice.
Stephanie started to cut into the scalp. She cut until there was a square showing the skull.
“Can you pass me the bone saw?” Stephanie asked. Amanda gave her the bonesaw. “I’m going to cut out a piece of his skull to release pressure on the tumor.”
“Just make it quick.” Jigsaw said.
When Stephanie finished the surgery, she stitched the skin back on on injected Jigsaw with painkillers.
“Now we are going to leave him to rest for a few hours.” Stephanie said.
“No, I’m not leaving him alone.” Amanda replied
“Okay, sure. Stay here and watch him”
After about 2 hours of waiting, Stephanie walked back it to see Amanda crying at Jigsaw’s side, Stephanie looked at the monitor. Flat line.
“He’s gone” she said.
“You failed. You killed him.” Amanda picked up the detonator for her collar. “Now, you’re going to join him!”
“FBI, down on the ground!” Someone screamed and up came a group of armed men.
come any closer or she’s dead!” Amanda threatened, holding the detonator high. “Ma’am, drop the detonator. The agent replied and he took a step forward. BOOM! The collar went off. Everyone in the room died.

At the morgue, they were doing the autopsy on Jigsaw.
“White male, six foot one, 72 years old.” The doctor said. “Cause of death, brain tumor. It appears that someone attempted to do surgery on the brain.”
They searched the rest of his body and found a tape in his stomach. When they played it, it said: “If you are hearing this, then I am dead. Yes, I am the Jigsaw killer. I may be dead but my work is not done, I have people that are willing to finish what I have started. “You have lost. Game. Over.”