The Bet

By , Keller, TX
Author's note:

It was a school assignment. 

Author's note:

It was a school assignment. 

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

Prologue

All was peaceful and well in Mount Olympus, as most would expect. In modern days, the gods found their roles to be less important. Humanity in the bright and shiny age of 2016 had moved on from their ancient fantasies and fallacies; since then the twelve Olympian gods and goddesses had been mostly inactive and lethargic. The people no longer believed in them.
Though, by the time the 21st century had rolled around, Zeus, being the fickle and impulsive person he was, grew bored of the lack of activity. To solve this, he visited Hades deep in the Underworld.
“What do you want?” The god of the underworld grumbled.
“Seeing that little has happened lately,” Zeus said, “I suggest we do something to lift our spirits up.”
“My spirits won’t be going anywhere but down here.”
“Very funny.” The lightning god paused to collect his thoughts. “I’ve heard whispers amongst the mortals of this strange and curious land known as ‘Australiya’, but I have yet to see it for myself.”
“I think you mean Australia,” Hades corrected.
“I had a wonderful idea just a few hours ago,” he continued in complete disregard to the interjection. “Just you and me. I’m certain I could beat you at a game of survival in the wildernesses of this Australiya.”
This made the death god roar with laughter. “You?” he bellowed. “I could beat all of you slugs at such a game.”
Zeus’ eyebrow rose. “All of us?”
“Eleven versus one.”
“Deal. We leave at dawn.” Zeus cracked a smile. “And the last god standing can return home.”
Hades smiled to himself after his departure, pondering deeply over the many different ways such a competition could end…

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »