TEN LAND | Teen Ink

TEN LAND

By tenland, pomona, California
tenland, Pomona, California

Author's note:

When I am Bored i often make up stories in my head. This one was on of my most interesting one yet.

TEN LAND
Have you ever thought of ways your society could get better? Ten Land is a place in Canada where there are very little flaws. If you live there, then you know the beauties it has inside. Well, most of the citizens agree that it is a beautiful society. But for people who have never been there, let me give you a little overview: It is run by a democratic government that has representatives elected every 2 years. Up to this year of 2053, Ten Land is an enclosed city. If you weren't born in the city then you probably won't ever get to see it. Tourists aren’t allowed to come in, because they will not agree with the laws and will start problems with civilians. There is only love and peace in Ten Land, which is something the outside world doesn’t seem to understand. The current day president suggests that it must stay under control, or else it will be corrupted with negative ideas and will turn Ten Land into something just like the outside world. The outside world is disruptive and uncontrolled, there is no peace towards each other. Civilians who disobey the laws are kicked out and never welcomed back. President Amaya has made a new law recently, to ensure that everyone is supportive of  each other and is treated with the same care, love, and supplies.
But not everyone agrees with the laws and think that they should be changed. Nikki is one of those people. Ever since she was 8, she would always have more unique ideas than everyone else. She just wanted to express herself, and wanted to invent things with her creative ideas. Still to this day she  isn't allowed  to bring her ideas to the community. She has always had a passion for helping people that are in need. No one in Ten Land needs help, but she knows that in the outside world people could use her assistance. Her parents created an underground room for her where she could conceal her thoughts until she was actually able to express them. She spends most of her time there wishing she could get out of Ten Land but still be able to come back in. You see, once you leave Ten Land, you can't return. Nikki's parents didn't judge her, but they didn't want her to get in trouble by the police. So they advised her not to tell anyone about her underground room.
All of that changed one day. It was a day like any other. She was heading to the art store for some new paint brushes, when she bumped into someone she had never seen before. This guy, that looked around her age, had short light brown hair and blue eyes.
“Hey, I've never seen you before,” Nikki said joyfully.
The boy stood there staring at her kind of in shock then answered in a low mumbling voice, “I don't go out much, my name is Jonathan.”
Reaching her hand out she shook Jonathan's hand.
“What highschool do you go to?” asked Nikki.
“I actually just finished with highschool, but I was homeschooled.”
“Oh, well, what are you going to buy?”
“A sketchbook,” answered Jonathan, looking down at his hands.
And just like that they started to talk and became really close. Eventually Nikki showed Jonathan the cluster, which is the underground room. They had deep trust in each other and eventually Jonathan told her a secret. He was not from Ten Land, and he had snuck in to get supplies and just to observe the society.
Nikki asked in a whispering voice, “So you came into Ten Land illegally. How did you even manage to get in?”
“I can't tell you, I've been sneaking in this city for years now. I have never told anyone.”
Jonathan left every month for a week to go visit his family back in Montana. The distance away from Jonathan made Nikki realize that she had fallen in love with him. Nikki decided to tag along with him, on one of his trips to see his family. In order for them to get out of Ten Land, they had to go through an underground tunnel that only Jonathan knew about. The first time Nikki went, she was astonished of how the world looked on the other sides of the gates.
“The colors, the wind, everything seems so free out here Jonathan!” It was a feeling that Nikki had never experienced before.
Back home, Nikki's parents were looking for her. Her cluster was untouched for days and they had barely noticed she was gone. They made a report to the police that their daughter was missing. But the cops discovered something else that her parents tried to keep hidden. All they had done is lead the cops into her cluster. Everything was destroyed. All her belongings were burned and buried when she came back home. She knew that the only way she was going to have a relationship with Jonathan, is if she started to protest for her rights. For the right to be open minded to ideas and be able to make something out of it.
Time passed. Nikki had been in many protests and community meetings. She never stopped fighting for her rights, to be open minded and creating a business for her society.  When President Steven was elected in 2056 he changed the law. A law that had been haunting Nikki since she was young. Citizens were able to create businesses outside of Ten Land. Eventually, citizens had the opportunity to go in and out of Ten Land. Outside companies were also able to sell and buy products from the society no one had known about.
Nikki reunited with Jonathan when she took a trip to Montana and they decided to create a business called D’occasion. A small store that sold donated clothes, in the hope of one day opening up an orphanage with the funds. She had been waiting for this moment ever since she was younger and now Ten Land was changing. She was finally capable of creating a business where she could help people afford more things, and soon help homeless kids find a home, just like she’d always wanted.