The Man Behind The Suit | Teen Ink

The Man Behind The Suit

October 11, 2017
By Anonymous

Author's note:

His dog dies

It is a Tuesday morning, I wake up up 6:20am, to get ready for school. I have to go warm up my car at 6:55, and there is snow everywhere.  I go back inside, hoping that they are going to call off school, but I know that they aren't going to.  At 7:00 I leave my house to go to school, but today feels different.  I back out of the driveway, put my car in 1st and take off for school.

I get to school and it is all the same, first hour is boring, just like every other hour of the day.  I am counting down when I get to go home, even though it isn't any better there.  Everyday when I get home, my dad is still at work, and my mom still hasn't come home.  It has been 3 months since I have seen my mom, and now I know that she is never coming back home.  My dad knows where she is at because for a month he told me that she was on a business trip, she was supposed to be back on the 8th of November. 

My dad usually gets home around 10:30pm everyday, he is wearing a black suit, with a black tie, and a white undershirt everyday.  Some days he is sweaty and gross, and others he just doesn't want to talk to anyone.  I ask him all the time how his day went, and he always looks at me and says ¨Son I work for the Government, my day is never going to be a good day.¨  He told me that a couple of times, and I know there is nothing I can do to cheer him up.

I go upstairs, and there sits Abraham, my big cozy dog.  He sits right beside my bed every night after my dad gets home.  My dog doesn't really understand the way of life, so I tell him why I am always sad, because he is the only one who will actually listen.  I tell him how much I hate school, and how much I hate coming home, and no one being here.  Everyday when I leave for school, I am the only one, and when I get back home from school,  it is the same, no one is here. 

It is Wednesday morning now, and I really don't want to go to school.  I have skipped before, but last time I got caught.  I got into a lot of trouble, I was grounded for 4 months, and couldn't play my Playstation 4 the entire time.  So I slowly but surely get up and get ready for school.  Just like yesterday there is snow, but not as much.  I go to school, and I go upstairs but my friends are not here today.  Now I know that today is going to be a bad day.  It is 4th hour, and my friends are still not here, and I have P.E. next hour.  I hate P.E., my friends are in that class with me, and that is the only reason I dress out.

There is one kid in there that I really don't like.  He thinks he is better than everyone in that class.  The only reason why people like him, is because he is one of those people that you would rather like than hate.  I am the only person in there that will actually tell him he is being annoying.  Last time I did that I went home with a black eye.  Now that my friends are not here to help me this time, he is going to be able to go all out on me.   Well, it is time for P.E. so here I go, I am going to tell him right away that I am not going to let him just push me around, because my friends are not here.  As soon as I went in there and told him that, he popped me right in the nose. 
I got a bloody nose and had to go to the nurse.  I couldn't go back to P.E. that day, but I really didn't care.  The day is almost over anyway.  I am in my last hour of the day, and I get a phone call telling me I need to leave school, I guess I have a doctor's appointment.  I love going to the doctor that is really the only place that I actually like being.  I am not to sure why I love to be there so much.  Maybe because the doctor actually listens to what I have to say.  When I arrive, the person upfront tells me I don't have an appointment today, I must have misheard something.  But all I know is that was a waste of gas, I live 30 miles from my doctor's office.  I start heading home and while I am listening to music, probably louder than what I should be.  I finally get home, and when I walk in the door, Abraham is not running up to the door like he usually is.  I yell out ¨Abraham!!!¨  No response.  Did my dad leave him outside this morning.  I go outside to check, and Abe isn't out here either.  I run upstairs and see Abraham laying on the floor right beside my bed.  He is looking a little bit different from all of the other days.  His back legs are a little crooked from how they looked before.  I sit beside him, and try to wake him up, but he is not moving.  I try to wake him up by asking if he wants a treat, but still no move.  His chest is not moving,  I feel tears slowly start flowing down my cheek.  I lay down next to him until my dad gets home. 

I wake up the next day with the sun blazing in my eyes, I guess my dad let me sleep in today.  I get up and get ready for school.  I get to school around 9:00 today, and my third hour teach was nun to pleased that I was got there so late.  “Where have you been Josh”  she said with a stern voice. 
“I slept in.”  I replied not telling her why because it made me sad just to think about it. Then she went on with a long speech about how if she were to sleep in then she would get into some trouble with the principle.  The rest of the day went by extremely slow.  In my last hour we did absolutely nothing except take notes, I am used to that because it is all we do.

I am on my way home, and I realize that I am going 13 over, then I look in my rear view mirror and see flashing lights, I yell at myself, “Why do you have to be so stupid.”  This cop takes his nice sweet time just assuming that I have nowhere to be.  He gets out of his car and slowly starts walking up to my car, he seems a little frightened by what I was doing.  When he gets to my car he asks “Do you know why I pulled you over today sir.” 
“No” I reply even though I actually know why.
“Well it seems to be that you were going 13 mph over the speed limit.”  He says sounding a little frustrated already.
“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, I didn’t even realize it. It won’t happen again.  I am in a hurry, I am supposed to have a lot done before my dad gets home.”  I say sounding a little frantic.
“I believe you, but I am required to get your license and registration before I can let you go.”  He says cooing off now.
“Ok” I hand him my license and registration, then 15 minutes later he comes back with a speeding ticket written out, and he hands it to me.
“Sorry it took so long, but you have a nice day young sir.”  He said with a smile on his face.
“Oh that ok, you have a good day too.”  I lied, it is not ok, I needed to get home fast today, my dad is getting off early and he wants dinner ready before he gets home.

I get home, and the entire house is trashed, it almost looks like some body came in here and flipped our house upside down.  The couch was on the other side of the house, and on it’s side.  My dad's room was ruined, all of his papers were on the floor, his bed was flipped, somebody is definitely trying to do something to our lives.  I am going to find out who this person is. 
I wake up with the sun blazing in my eyes, I leave my house to go to school, but when I get halfway there I park my car on the side of the road and walk back home.  When I get back home the front door is wide open.  I walk in and there are two people with guns.  They turn around and BANG!!!

Too Be Continued!!!
 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.