Pass It On

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Millie

“Brandon, come here please,” I call out to my son.
He comes out and stares at me questioningly. “What?”
“Where you in your sister’s room again?” I ask.
There’s a flash of guilt on his face before he says: “No.”
“Promise?” I ask.
Brandon bites his lip and stares at the ground. “Yes?”
He runs off before I can ask him anything else.
In my daughter’s room, I see a disc on her desk. I pick it up. It’s labeled “Do Not Watch.”
Why is this in here? What was my daughter watching?
I take the DVD to my room and shut the door. I play it on my TV.

When it’s over, I am confused. Why is it labeled “Do not Watch?”
It’s just a bunch of corny execution scenes! There’s a knock on the door. “Mom? Can I come in?” It’s Brandon.
“Yes,” I reply.
The door opens. “I was in Lilith’s room. Something’s missing. It’s a DVD, labeled “Do not Watch.” It’s like it disappeared.”
“Why did you want the DVD, Brandon?” I ask.
“I wanted to watch it. To see what all the fuss was about,” he replies.
“You’re not watching the disc. And stay out of her room!” I yell.
Brandon’s eyes fill with tears. He nods and runs out of my room.
I hear his door slam a few seconds later.

“If you don't pass it on, you’ll end up like your daughter,” the girl tells me. Somehow I know her name. Rachel.
“You killed my daughter?” I ask.
Rachel smiles cruelly. “Of course I did. She couldn’t even follow simple instructions. She had to be taken care of.”
I feel a hot flash of anger. Only, not at Rachel. The anger is directed towards Lilith. If she couldn’t pass on a stupid DVD, then she did deserve to die.
“How long do I have?” I ask.
“One week,” Rachel says, smirking.

I wake up to someone shaking me. It’s Brandon.
“Mom, you were talking in your sleep,” he tells me.
“What was I saying?” I ask him.
Brandon frowns. “Pass it on. Why were you saying that?”
“No reason. Go back to bed,” I mutter, rolling over.
There’s a soft click as the door closes.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Kestrel135This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 21 at 12:33 am
Hello! I saw your forum and figured I ought to take a look. You have a great story built into this; there's tension, suspense, and enough eerie action to make it a good thriller. That said, I don't think I every felt scared or even mildly disturbed while reading this, and the reason for that was likely a lack of detail. Like SpeakerofWolves had said, I think you can bring this story to life by adding more details. First off, the scene in the attic. Why are they there? Are they cleaning? They sa... (more »)

SpeakerofWolvesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 18 at 9:48 pm
@bo_olsen Hello bo_olsen! I had read your forum and I am more than happy to help you with your story. First of all, I like the idea that you are trying to make. Second, the plot line is ok which I highly recommend that you add some more events or places. Third, when the movie started, I would like to suggest to be descriptive as you can, or to simply say that at the beginning of the movie he immediately passed out by fear, whatever you choose. Fourth, when the ghost comes into the scenes, I woul... (more »)