Unwanted

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

A Way To Escape

When I was young, my brothers and I would go looking for danger. In the woods, near the roaring springs, near the witch graveyard.
But then Shadow turned thirteen and had to go serve his country. We all stopped looking for danger. All of us. Burn, Twister, Illusion, and me, Rain.
Then one December day, Mother got a red letter. It was about Shadow. He had died in battle. I watched as Burn’s face changed. He had told Shadow not to go.
“I told him not to go!” he roared. He stormed upstairs, knocking over the table. I remember it clattered to the ground as Mother cried.
Burn was twelve at the time. Now he’s about to turn thirteen, the time we are all forced to go to war, or if we are girls we are forced to marry and have children when we graduate Prep at the age of seventeen so they can do the same thing as their sorry parents. I watched as Burn packed his suitcase. Twister was ten, Illusion was seven, and I was five. I watched as he hugged Mother and Father, Twister, Illusion, and he ruffled my hair. Then he left.
We never expected that he had a devious plan forming in his mind.

Five years later
I was almost all alone. Illusion was leaving the next morning. He crouched with me as I cleaned up a game. He sighed.
“In three years you’ll go to Prep and find some handsome jerk who will help you have, like, ten kids,” he said.
I laughed. “Sleep in my room tonight. Please.”
He nodded. “I will.”
And so that night as I lay down on the floor next to him, someone tapped on my window. I jerked upright. Illusion sat up, too.
“Shh,” he said. He crossed the room and cautiously opened the window. Someone jumped inside. I almost screamed.
“Who are you?” I whispered.
“Oh, Rain. Don’t you recognize me?” the person said. I lit a small candle and held it up. Even in the eerie light of the candle, I could tell who it was. Even five years later I could tell.
“Burn!”

We sat in a circle, all around the candle.
“How are you here?” Illusion demanded.
“It’s easy. I never showed up for duty,” Burn said. “I bribed a man into telling the guard at the gate that I had died on the road.”
“Can I come with you?” begged Illusion.
“That’s why I’m here. Duh,” Burn smirked.
Illusion stood up and grabbed his suitcase.
“Me too!” I whisper-yelled.
“No, I’m sorry,” Burn said. “Girls ain’t allowed.”
“What happened to your perfect grammar?” I demanded. “The Burn I knew always had good grammar!”
Burn smiled. “I’m not the Burn you knew. I’m changed.”
Tears fell down my face. “I’m your sister. Take me with you!”
“No.”
Burn helped Illusion through the window and they both left, leaving me there, alone.

“Where is your brother?” demanded Father the next day.
I groaned as I remembered the night’s events. Burn.
“I don’t know,” I lied.
Father’s breathing turned heavy. “He escaped?”
I shrugged. “I guess.”
Father frowned. “We must find him. Shadow and Burn are already dead! We don’t need another one!”
I faked surprise, “Burn is dead?”
“I’m sorry, honey. We didn’t want you to freak,” Father said.
“I’m freaking now!” I yelled. I ran out of the house, crying. I wasn’t crying ‘cause I believed Father, duh, I was sad about Burn not wanting me.
Mother and Father came out, arguing.
“We can’t do that to her! Three extra years?” yelled Mother. “No!”
“It’s how Serpent said we could repay the loss of Illusion!” Father argued.
“Illusion isn’t an object you lose!” screamed Mother. “He’s a real, living, breathing, person!”
“Rain, pack your bags! You’re going to Prep!” Father yelled.
“I’m ten!” I yelled. “I can’t go!”
“Go!” Father yelled.
I stomped up the stairs, making sure to slam my door. I stuffed almost everything into my suitcase.
If only there was a way to escape!

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

bo_olsenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 3 at 9:12 pm
Thanks for your guys's advice! I did write this when I was 10, and wanted to publish it so people could see some of my earlier stuff.

SpeakerofWolvesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 3 at 4:10 pm
@bo_olsen Great job! I love the idea and the characters, but like @WriteFreak said, description and background information will help the reader to know what is going on with the story. Other than that, very enjoyable book.

WriteFreakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 9 at 3:27 am
This is a really good book. The only thing I would do is give a little more overall description in the beginning (where they are, why they are going to war, etc.) If I'm completely honest, in the beginning, it's kind of hard to remember who's who without some description. Otherwise, great story.