The Man in the Window | Teen Ink

The Man in the Window

June 14, 2017
By Allisa12, new york, New York
More by this author
Allisa12, New York, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Out for a run



“Mom, i told you a million times, i’ll be fine running by myself… i’ve done it before.” My mom looked down at me, she didn’t trust me on my own. She’s always like this, i never get to do anything, and nothing ever happens in this neighborhood anyways so i don’t see what her problem is.
“It's not safe going by yourself, and it’s getting late...can’t I come with you or something?” she said, I shook my head. She then put her hands on her hips and gave me a look with those wide brown eyes. we shared the big eyes, but mine are blue instead of brown. I always try to get her to let me do stuff, but I can’t tell her that because then she starts a whole argument where the line starts off as, “when I was your age…” and then we all know where parents take that conversation. Her look said, i'm gonna kill you but, fine you can go. And that's exactly what she said.
“Mom don't worry, i’ll be back in an hour” i said as i walked out the door and tying my long brown hair at the same time.
“Make sure you-” I closed the door before i got to hear the rest of that sentence. I stopped and wondered if i should go back...i kept walking. It was wet outside, it had just stopped raining and even tho it was only 4:30, it was getting dark. I put in my headphones as i jogged on the road. There were barely any cars around and there were only a couple houses, there were trees everywhere. I blasted the music and kept jogging, i looked around. It's really quiet today… i thought, i kept jogging. I jogged down this hill where there were barely any house’s, the woods surrounded the road. I remember when i was little i used to be scared of walking down this road, it was always so quiet and i always heard these weird noises coming from the woods, and that was my signal to run. I stopped at a crossroad, and didn't know which way to go. I looked to my right, i've been down that road a million times, i thought. I looked ahead and that was how you get to town square. No thank you, i thought. Then i looked to my left. It looked quiet down that road, there weren't that many houses, although i did see a really big one in the distance. I looked up at the sign, “Miller road?...huh” i said to myself, i've never been down that road before. I turned on my phone and looked at the time, “what the...how the heck is it already five o’clock?” i said to myself in disbelief. “Well i have 30 minutes...might as well make the best of it” i pushed my brown hair, that was put into a high ponytail, out of the way of my eyes and started to jog down Miller road. As i jogged, i looked around me. There weren't that many houses, but when there were they were all abandoned. I came to a stop at this huge house, i think it was a mansion. I looked around the house, it was brown and there were many broken windows. It was starting to creep me out so i turned around and headed back. As i jogged i changed the song, then from the corner of my eye i saw some type of figure. I was scared to turn around, but i did it anyways. I slowly turned my head to see a man in the window. It wasn't a man that you would see everyday, he was old and he was wearing an all white gown. His hand was gripped onto the sheet that covered the window, and he waved.His gown was dirty, it had these black markings on them. I couldn’t tell if it was just dirt or if they were hand prints. As i stepped back into reality i realized that he was still waving at me. I waved back, and once i did he stopped. He turned to his side and walked away from the window, as he walked he stared back at me with a smile. And it wasn't a friendly smile, it was a smile that scared you. That smile made him look guilty of doing something, or like he was about to do something. He walked into the darkness of the house. I stood there for a moment, that was weird, i thought. I turned around and started to walk away but then i stared into the window one last time and saw a shadow of something that was about to go through it.I stopped to get a closer look and then the glass shattered and a rock came flying through the other end. I gasped as the rock landed right in front of me, i looked down in shock. My heart was about to burst through my chest. But then i started to realize who actually threw it and my eyes widened. I slowly looked up to see the man standing by the window. He had that same smile on his face and this time he was laughing, and with each breath it got louder and louder and louder. I was too afraid to move, i was stuck. Then finally i found myself, and started to run. I ran as fast as i could, i didn’t look back. I didn't look back to see whether he was chasing me, i didn’t look back to see if i forgot anything. I kept my head straight and and my feet still running. My feet were falling hard on the ground, all my weight was starting to depend on my legs. My feet were aching from running so fast, and as i ran i jumped out farther and farther so get more distance but every time my feet hit the ground i was closer and closer to collapsing. I looked up as i reached the cross road and i didn't stop to get closer look at the names, i just ran straight ahead without looking back. My headphones kept flying up and hitting my chin which was a distraction. I ripped off my headphones and shoved them in my pocket and kept running, i ran and i ran and i ran, until finally i fell.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.