Realization | Teen Ink

Realization

By katlinfrieze1998, Galena, Missouri
katlinfrieze1998, Galena, Missouri

There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Author's note:

I love Horror moves and books, the only thing I can really seem to write about are the tings I am interested in. 

Branches and the thorny arms of brush scratched against her pale, bloody face as she ran through the woods. Afraid to look behind her, but also too afraid not to look. All she could see was a green blur that was the forest go by her as she ran. Looking back she noticed she was being followed by a man... Not just any man… A rotting man. His face was tore in half, his stomach was cut open and his guts swinging at his feet.
Reaching a clearing, she saw buildings peeking through the treetops just a little bit away. She ran as fast as she could to the first building she could get to. She took another look over her shoulder just long enough to see the rotting man crashing through the woodline. He stood still for a moment, found her, and started running towards her again. Coming up to the buildings, she opened the doors and slammed them behind her, struggling to catch her breath. She looked around but couldn’t see anything.
Looking into the darkness, she dug into her pocket and pulled out the box of matches she had for this moment. She struck one, and as the tiny flame danced around the room she saw a pile of old, dusty books, trash everywhere, and a huge padlock hanging loosely to the front door behind her. The room faded into darkness as the match went out. Striking another, she then went looking to find another light source to use. Stepping over the dark objects hoping to God that she wouldn’t run into another one of those monsters. Walking forward some more her foot kicked something glass. It clinked and clanked as it rolled away.  Pulling out the matches she lit one.

“Whoosh!” The sound of the new match echoed in the room. It again dimly lit the room, but she was still able to see the lamp that she had just kicked. BAM! The doors shook as the man slammed against them over and over. The match flew out of her hands and onto the floor.
“STOP!” She screamed at the shaking doors, covering her head with her hands. Tears streaming down her face as she slowly lowered herself to the ground. Looking behind her she noticed that the match had fell onto what was a pile of papers. Now it looked as if she had started a bonfire. She quickly got up and removed any stray papers that were near the fire that had started. Thank God it started on the concrete She stood by and watched the papers burn away into grey embers.
Looking around she noticed that the house was trashed. Papers  everywhere, furniture broken,  the pieces scattered around the room. She noticed a chair in the doorway to another room. It was broken and mangled, seeming to give the room a more eerie look. Walking over to the door she noticed that the chair had blood on it. She strained her neck to look in the room but was careful not to touch the bloody chair. The grey colored room was cluttered with ripped up books and random papers, blood smeared along the walls. She noticed an old trunk across the room. Blood seeping out of the sides and as she looked closer she could hear the trunk shaking a bit. Backing up she gripped the chair top and pulled it backwards, trying to dislodge it from the doorway. The chair falling beside her as she leaned against the door frame to try to catch her breath. 
“Ugghhhhhhhhh” The noise came from the trunk!
“Reeehhhhhhhh” Another came with a pound from the inside the box.
She jumped back giving tiny shriek and hid behind the door way. She walked slowly over to the ancient looking trunk  it was a dark brown trunk bound in  leather. On the front of the trunk was a rusted lock that looked as though it may have been silver at one time  “Screeecccchhhhh” And again the noise came from the box. Maybe I should check what's in the box. Snapping out of her gaze at the bloody mess on the floor she looked to the trunk, its rusty hinges giving her an uneasy feeling. She pushed through the old bloody papers to get behind the trunk. Deciding to give it a go, she pushed with all she had. The trunk only going a couple inches before she had to take a break, already sweating.
“Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkkkk” The trunk was shaking so bad that she was afraid it was going to break open. Leaping over the box and bolting towards the door, she tripped on the broken legs of a chair. Landing on her stomach she heard her ribs pop. Pain erupted through her body. Pushing through it she looked up and she spotted a gun. Grabbing it she looked in the clip for bullets. There were only 2 bullets. DANG IT! She thought. If there is gun here there has to be some bullets. Reaching under the broken desk beside her head relief spread through her as she saw the dozens of bullet cases hidden there.
Looking out the doorway, and down the hall full of closed door she suddenly felt terrified. what if the thing in the trunk was like the thing that was chasing me?And what if there are more? She shook her head to get all the bad thoughts out and continued down the hall. The hall looked like the room she had just been in, torn papers and blood everywhere.
Opening the closest door near her, she peered inside the room. However, it took everything she had just to look around, but she knew she had to. To her surprise, the room was neat and clean. The bed was covered with a red and gold comforter, and the frame of the bed came up to the ceiling. A transparent lace was draped over the bed making it look more elegant than it was. Only a bed and a very old, golden colored dresser were in the room. Some of the paint had chipped off, but that just made it look more unique. 

Turning to go out of the room and she noticed that the door had multiple locks on it. Some that went  across the width of the door like long steel bars and some that locked the door to the door frame. She decided quickly that she was going to stay in this room tonight.
She stepped out of the room and went back into the hallway, narrowly avoiding a huge puddle of blood. Stepping around it she opened the next door, it was exactly like the first. Leaving the room she went on to the next one and found it was just like the first. The windows were all covered. She gripped the board that was covering part of the window and peeled it back. Peering through the ridiculously small amount of space she had, she saw a part of the town…It was completely wrecked. There were cars covered in rust as time took its toll, all still smoking from the horrible disaster that had occurred here. The sun quickly being swallowed by the night, making the town seem creepy.
Going back down through the hallway and back into the room she locked all the locks on the door. The lamp was lighting the room and warming it. Taking off her shoes she climbed under the covers, she felt safe. What was chasing me? Who am I? Where am I? All of these questions flying around her head were making her a little dizzy. Maybe I should just wait until morning to think about this. Pushing the thoughts from her mind as she placed her head on the pillow. She knew she needed sleep to survive. She hated sleep... Every time she did she always had nightmares, although occasionally she had good dreams.….As her eyes closed and the black mass that seemed to loom over her all the engulfed her. I hope I wake up in the morning… But if I don’t that’s okay too.
A bright light shined through the darkness, blinding her for a moment. She then found herself walking into the small crowded kitchen to the smell of bacon. Bacon was her favorite food, her sister knew that. She peered over to the stove to see. She was cooking bacon, eggs, sausage, gravy and she could she the empty packages of biscuits. Getting up from the creaky table she pushed her chair back making a screeching noise.
“How are you making this?” she said to her.
“My hands?” She said.
“But you're dead...”
“Well, I am right here..sooo...”
“How? Why? I know that you died.”
“Honey ,all that is important is that I am here right now.”
Suddenly the room started spinning with all of the questions that were flying around her head.
She saw her dead body. She caused her sister to die. How can she be here? Am I having a dream? Oh my God. 
She opened her eyes to see her sister standing over her, yelling her name. She struggled to stand up and sat in the kitchen chair. The food was already on the table. The steam still coming off of it as she scooted her chair forward. Her sister was standing beside her to make sure she didn't fall again.
“Tell me how you are here” She said to her sister.
“It doesn’t matter how I am here. All that matters is that I am. Now stop acting like this and eat your food.” She explained.
“I can’t believe this is actually happening.” She said staring at her sister, tears streaming down her face.
“I know, I can’t either.” Her eyes starting to water as well.
She took small bites of her bacon, tears still coming down her face. The sweet, salty, greasy meat in her mouth making her even more emotional. Memories flashed in her head of her family. They were so amazing. They took care of me.
A hand slammed down on the table beside her plate. Looking over to her sister she noticed that she had a different look in her eyes. She looked pale, the little hairs that stuck out of her ponytail clinging to her head.
“You did this to me. You killed your own sister.” She said in a demonic voice, leaning in towards her face. She leaned so close that all she could see was her face, her vision slowly turning black as she sobbed uncontrollably. I promise I didn’t mean to! She thought to herself.
She bolted up in bed, gripping the sheets. Looking around she realized that she was still in the same room she had been in the day before. Shocker, she thought to herself. Pulling back the stiff blanket, she got up and and walked to the door. She put her ear to the door only to hear a white silence. Leaning back she unlocked the door, and stepped out into the eerie hallway. Peering to the left she noticed that there was more blood smeared across the wall, sure there was some before but definitely not that much. Backing up into the room she gently closed the door, locking it.
What if it got out of the box? She thought. What if it is like the man in the woods...Oh my God I am going to die. This is it. I am trapped and I am gonna die in this tiny room.
As the panic set in, she backed against the wall and slowly slid down it. What the f*** am I going to do? Lowering her head to peer under the door, she could see the shuffle of its feet as it came closer to the door. Jumping up, she stalked over to the window, peering through one of the holes. Her only view was the abandoned town. She didn’t see anybody, not even one of those things that had chased her.
“What are those called?” she asked herself outloud.
Zombies. The word popped in her head as soon as she asked the question. BAM! The door shook as it was pounded by the zombie outside of it. She flung herself across the room and against the door. It kept pounding, mercilessly. Then the silence took over the noise. She leaned her body away from the door but still had her hands on it. 

Feeling a tickle on her foot she fell backwards and shoving her feet away from the door she saw the fingers of the monster viciously creeping under the door. She stumbled to get up, kicking the hands as hard as she could. The hands finally receded back after a few good kicks, blood smeared on the floor where the hands had been. Turning back towards the boarded up window she began to grip the wood. She had planned to rip the wood off with her hands but she couldn’t. That isn’t happening. She turned around to scan the room. Her eyes landed on a small metal bar beside the bed. Grabbing it and wedging it between the wood she began to push against it. A crack echoed in the room as the wood feel to the ground. She broke what was left of the window with the metal bar. Swinging her legs over the window seal she jumped to the ground below. Landing on the hard concrete she look around her to see the town. Crack! She heard the door of the room break. ‘RUN’ She thought to herself. Taking off she ran into the building beside her. The old rotting building creaking as she closed the splintered  door. She turned to see concrete stairs going downward. There were windows along the stairs lighting the way for her to slowly step down. There was a door at the end, Hopefully it is unlocked. She placed her hands on the wooden door, pushing slightly. The door swung open to reveal more stairs, she turned and shut the door back. The rickety stairs creaked as she put down her feet, one by one. She instantly recognized the stairs. Our old house. How did I not recognize it?  Dust flying off of the steps each time her foot comes in contact with it. She could tell that they haven’t been walked on in a while.
Get ahold of yourself Ana.
There is no way that these stairs haven't been touched. Looking around the room she noticed that everything  was just like the stairs, dusty and untouched. Cobwebs crowding around all of the corners possible in the room.“Ahhhhhhhh” a scream erupted from behind her. Swinging around she laid her eyes on what had produced the dreadful scream, only to be flung down the stairs. Her body twisting and turning as she tumbled down. She felt her knee pop as it hit the edge of the steps, a blinding pain that she had never felt before gloomed over her. Landing on the last step her shoulder twisted behind her, surely broken. She opened her eyes to see a dull grey skinned, monster speeding towards her. It had the face of her sister but not the body. The body was deformed, the bones looked broken and in all the wrong spots. Her backbone was to the right side of her body and the left side drooping down. As the monster reached the bottom of the stairs she leaped off the bottom step and onto Ana’s aching body. Looking to the monster on top of her she noticed that it was changing...It was growing black hair, her body seemed to be making its own clothing. Her body pushing out the same blue shirt I had on. Her skin was turning a more skin like color. Ana pushed it off and limped for safety.
The only thing she could think of was to go in the closet. For some reason, her mind thought it was safe. She opened the door of the closet, stepped in and slammed it shut. Looking at the door she noticed that it was very old but it did have a lock on it. Flipping the lock downward she crouched down lower, the smell of chemicals hitting her nose as she bends further trying to be unseen. Looking down she realizes she is in a pool of blood. Freaking out she tried to stand up and jump out of it only to fall. Looking at herself she realized the blood was coming from herself.
She heard the footsteps coming near the door before she realized that the door was being ripped off. Slowly opening her eyes to see what or who ripped off the door, only to reveal that nobody was there. Looking up to the ceiling her vision started going dark, a black cloud consuming her.
A light shining through the darkness, much like a movie projector. She could see herself at her in this house. She could tell that she was younger but she didn't know why she was seeing it. She watched her young self as she made herself breakfast in the kitchen. Her sister walking in the room and following her around like a lost puppy, it was very normal. A pang of sadness rang through her like electricity. She missed her so much, she could have saved her. Her sister annoying her with everything she had. Looking around noticing what all had happened so far she realized that she remembered this day...This was the horrible day that Mary died.
She watched as Mary asked her to come with her to the lake. Like before, she refused. Just as she remembered. Mary didn’t care that her sister wasn’t going, she only cared about going herself. She thought she didn't need anyone to watch her, but obviously she did. She was only 10 and didn't know how to swim very well. She watched her little sister walk out the kitchen doors for the last time.
The light fading back into darkness as the memory ended. Sadness and regret still filling her heart even as the memory faded. Suddenly light filled the darkness again, this time showing her mother and father. The color or her mother's copper hair bringing a smile to her face, as she scanned her mother's face the smile slowly faded. Her father was holding her mother as they both sobbed. They were on their couch in the living room, talking with her.They had said that they needed both of us to be there and that it was information about Mary for her doctor. This was after Mary went swimming. Around noon her mother had asked her where Mary was, she went looking and she was nowhere to be seen.
Looking by the pool and in the woods they always play in and nothing. It seemed as though Mary just disappeared. Going back to the pool she noticed Mary’s pink little towel by the stairs. Panic rushing through her as she ran up to the pools edge, only to find Mary’s lifeless body at the  bottom of the 10 foot pool. She screamed and cried for help, jumping in. Her only thoughts were that she could save her if she hadn’t been under that long. Ana grabbed Mary’s arm and towed her corpse to the surface of the pool. Sputtering up water as she cried still screaming for help. She looked at her sister shocked and dumbfounded. A pair of hands grabbing Mary out of her arms and over the pools edge. She looked up as her mother and father were frantically trying to giver Mary CPR. Climbing out of the pool she grabbed Mary’s towel and dried herself off a bit then putting it on Mary’s legs hoping it would help in some way. The ambulance got there and took her away. They tried and tried to get her back but it seemed as though the more they tried the more dead she looked. Her lips were blue, her skin was lifeless, her eyes open. Looking into her eyes it seemed as though she was still alive, the shock in them was devastating.
With that it all went black again. She felt the guilt wash through her as she thought about her sister more. She had killed her sister. Her own flesh and blood. Another human being. She was a murderer. She tore her family apart. She deserved to die, she deserved to go to hell. An hour or two after they had taken Mary her parents returned to give her the news that they couldn’t save her and the news from Marys' doctor. She had been diagnosed with stage 4 terminal skin cancer. She didn’t remember when she stopped crying.
The black cloud shifted off her bloody and mangled body only to reveal the. A white flash blinding her…

I saw myself. I saw the monster as my sister. It was beating me, as I lay in the closet it slashes at me relentlessly. Although I see it slashing me I feel no pain. Walking over, cautiously, hoping it can’t see me I see the monster clearly now. Her black hair finally swinging out of the way so I could see her face clearly. Her blue eyes were perfectly symmetric on her round face. Her lips looked like they had came out of a magazine they were so perfect. She was beautiful, she looked like a goddess. So many emotions ran through her as she recognized this face. This goddess was her sister. It was not my 10 year old sister though, it was as though she had aged all these years. She looked like a regular 20 year old, aside from the whole killing me part.
I don’t understand, how can she have aged? She died 10 years ago, there is no way. I walk closer to myself now seeing all of the damage she is inflicting on my body. The only thing I could think was that I deserve this. I killed her and now she is killing me. It’s only fair that she does this, she was only ten when her life had to end. All because of me. Mary was swinging her arms, slashing and slashing with the knife that is in place of her right hand. The skin that is her forearm glistening with my own blood. She watched as Mary slashed her stomach, slightly wondering why this monster was posing as her sister that died so long go. Suddenly a searing pain erupted in her stomach.
  Then suddenly she was in her own body again. She felt every slice, every bruise and every wound that Mary had afflicting on her. Although she kept beating her she only felt one injury at a time, the pain going on even after mary stopped. She looked up to her sister feeling dizzy but not wanting to take her eyes off of the person that could have been in her life this whole time, if she would have answered yes to one stupid question. Mary looked down to her and made eye contact as she raised her foot and brought it down on her head as hard as she could, knocking Ana out of consciousness.