Singing Coach | Teen Ink

Singing Coach

January 25, 2017
By chloe_brim, clarkston, Michigan
More by this author
chloe_brim, Clarkston, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It all started on that one day. It started when he first laid eyes on me. The obsession started on that one day. Things turned toward the bad, it all started with my first day of singing lessons with that one man. His name is Bates Blair. The name alone sends shivers down my spine. I close my eyes and grit my teeth together, trying to shake the thoughts away.  The only way I can heal from this is to tell myself that he’s gone. I looked up and met a pair of eyes that were staring at me, watching my every move. “Do you think you can think back to the day when you first met him, and all of the other things that he did?” the detective said. I let out a shaky breath and my eyes fluttered shut and I slowly nodded my head in agreement. I held my eyes close and and thought all the way back to day one. “It all started when-” My mind thought back to the day when I walked through the front doors and to the room that was very spacious.
* Flashback* I looked around the open room which was mostly bare and had hardwoods floors throughout the room. I tilted my head back to look at the high ceilings, there was one chandelier hanging in the middle of the room. My eyes landed on a man who was standing off to the side of the room fiddling with some paper. I cleared my throat to get his attention, he whipped around and stared at me. He then said “Oh I’m so sorry I didn’t hear you come in. My name is Mr. Blair. And you must be Ms. Leilah.” A smile appeared across his young looking skin. I returned a smile back to him and nodded my head. He clapped his hands together in excitement. An hour passed by and my throat was tired from singing and that Mr. Blair was being a little weird. I was glad we were done for the day. I waited for my mom to pick me up and drive me home. As soon as I walked in the house, I went straight to my room and slept the rest of the night. As days passed with singing with Mr. Blair, he seemed to grow a little too close for my liking. Sometimes he would just stare at me and not break his gaze when I would be singing. He would also mutter weird things to himself and I would ask him what he said but he would just brush it off and mutter ‘nothing’. Days turned into weeks and he started to grow more weirder. I told my mom that he’s weird and that I don’t want to keep going back and singing with him, but she shrugged and said that I would be perfectly fine. Something deep down in my gut told me not to trust this guy. One day my boyfriend Charles and I went out to grab a coffee and some lunch, everything seemed perfectly fine until I bumped into someone. God, I always seem to bump into someone. My eyes snapped up to the person's face and the face caused me to take a big gulp. I slowly backed away and muttered a ‘sorry’, then wrapped my arm around Charle’s arm. Mr. Blair stared at me then snapping his eyes away from me and giving Charle’s a deadly glare. I spoke up so I could break the tension which I don’t know why it’s there in the first place. “Hey, Mr. Blair. Sorry I didn’t see you there.” He slowly brought his eyes away from Charle’s and stared at me, then spoke “No, I’m sorry I didn’t see where I was heading. So how’s your day going so far?” He questioned then glaring back at my boyfriend. He had this evil glint in his eye and it made me uneasy. “Oh it’s going good, thanks for asking.” He gave this creepy smile and nodded and turned away and walked out of the coffee shop. Well that couldn’t get anymore weirder. We grabbed our coffee and I took a sip and instantly spit  it out, It was so hot that you could boil an egg in it. Charle’s chuckled at my action and we continued to make our way to the restaurant. He held the door open for me and the hostess led us to a table and then the waiter took our order. It was a nice restaurant with high ceilings, paintings all around, and dim lights giving off a relaxing vibe. The waiter came back with our drinks and my eyes started wandering around the place until a pair of dark green eyes meet mine. Blood rushed to my face and I started sweating. I quickly looked away and back at Charles. He gave me a questioning look and I told him who I saw and he seemed upset. I was freaked out that he was here, Mr. Blair  was sitting a few seats down from our table and was just staring at Charles and I. A shiver ran down my spine and the hair on the back of my neck standing up. “Just don’t give him your attention, that’s what he’s looking for. It’s weird that he’s also here but we can’t do anything about it.” Charle’s said quietly. He was right, Mr. Blair wanted the attention and I was feeding it to him, but now I know to stop interacting with him. There’s just something off about him, but I can’t put my finger on it. The food came and we quickly scarfed it down because I told Charles that I was uncomfortable with Mr. Blair here, but he understood. We finally left the place and made our way back to my home. The once pink and orange sky was fading and clouds grew over as darkness quickly approached. We were watching a movie in the living room when we heard thunder outside roaring and rain pelting on the glass. The movie was about to play a really scary part but right when the horror part played, the doorbell rang causing me to scream and making Charle’s laugh hysterically. I gave him the glare that told him to shut up. I got up from the grey comfy couch and yanked the door open. But what freaked me out was that no one there. My eyes searched the front yard for someone but before I shut the door, a small red rose caught my attention laying on the door mat. Okay, that is really creepy. I went to shut the door but a sudden jerk caused the door not to fully shut. I quickly looked to see what it was and there was someone's shoe standing between the door and the wall. I screamed when the door was ripped open, tripping over my foot and crashing on the ground. Charle’s came running to see what was happening and yelled at the intruder. I looked at the intruder and see a man with a dark hoodie covering most of his face. He lunged at Charles tackling him to the soft ground. I just sat there shocked still trying to process what was happening. I finally gathered myself and looked back at the men, the intruder was punching charle’s in the face making blood splatter around the carpet. I need to get him off of Charle’s! My adrenaline was starting to kick in and I grabbed a heavy wood candle holder and swung my arm back and whacked him in the back of the head...hard. The intruder slumped to the ground, not moving an inch. I’m glad I played softball. Charle’s slowly got up while I called 911, he reached over the man and pulled his hoodie back revealing a very familiar man...Mr. Blair. The police arrived very quickly and arrested him. Mr. Blair glanced over at me and gave me an evil smirk revealing his crooked teeth. The police shoved him in their car and drove off. What was wrong with him!? I always had a bad feeling about him.
* End of Flashback *
I opened my eyes, finishing explaining from day one and to the last about Mr. Blair. A silent tear rolled down my face when the detective spoke again “Thank you  Leilha for telling me what happened. I should get going now, have a great day.” And with that he walked out the front door.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.