It Is Midnight Somewhere | Teen Ink

It Is Midnight Somewhere

By Air_conditioner/Ac3.0, Owingsville, Kentucky
Air_conditioner/Ac3.0, Owingsville, Kentucky

When I was little I used to have a big imagination that sometimes got the best of me. One day my Mom and Dad were going out of town to see my Cousin and her newborn son named Hunter. My parents were going to allow me to stay home alone, I was sixteen so I could take care of myself and they knew I would be ok alone. I helped my Mom and Dad load tons of bags into the back of Mom’s van. After they drove off I decide to fix me some grub.  I fixed me up a good hot bowl of ramen noodles and sad down to watch some tv. I was watching the local news to see what the weather was going to be so I would know if I needed to wear warm clothes for soccer practice. It felt like hours before we got through all the local news!!  Then finally the weatherman, Samuel Price appeared. He has his head down, it almost looked like he was about to cry. He finally raised his head and with sadness in his voice he talked about how they had lost a great reporter today after she was killed while investigating a murder at Crossover Creek. She went off camera to go to the news van and ten minutes later she was found dead from what appeared to be a drowning. After he told the weather there was a picture of her and it said, “Simone Little 1994-2016, An amazing news reporter lost at such a young age”. I turn the tv onto Spongebob so that I would get my mind off of the news reports death and actually get some sleep. I brushed my teeth and headed to bed.  It was about two-thirty in the morning and I was awakened by a noise outside. I looked out my window to see if I could see what might be causing the noise, which was not a good idea.  I did not see anything but the woods that surround my house, the branches on the trees look like evil hands trying to pull me me toward something.  I don’t know maybe they were trying to pull me to the place where that reporter had died.  Maybe they were trying to tell me something like it was no accident, and someone had drug her into the water and murdered her. I walk down stairs to get some warm milk and hopefully settle my mind which was now running wild with crazy thoughts. I turn the corner at the bottom of the stairs and I see the front door is wide open. I rush to the door to shut it and lock it. Only I could not because the door handle was missing.  It looked like someone had broken it off to get inside. I ran and grabbed my phone off the couch, I push the buttons 911 frantically until I hear a voice. Before I even start to speak a man grabs me by my shirt collar. He screams, “I am going to do to you what I did to that reporter”. He was so strong, I could barely breathe his grip was so tight around me. He kicks the back door open and drags me out onto the porch. I couldn’t see anything and the only thing I heard was the man breathing heavy. I am fighting hard trying to get away from his death grip, but he is just way too strong from me.  I can not see a thing, then I hear it, the creek water splashing against the rocks. AS he puts me in front of him I can feel rocks. I grab the biggest one and throw it towards his voice. I hear a loud scream, then the man turns on a flashlight and I can see his face covered in blood with a big cut right above his left eye. He lets his death grip go on me to grab his face and I run for it. He is able to grab my collar but it finally rips and my shirt is now in threads. I can hear the police sirens getting closer that was my only hope of finding my way through the everlasting darkness and back to safety. I finally hear the sirens at full blast. I go and grab one of the police officers and begin to tell him what had just happened to me.  I was in such shock it took the officer a while to understand what I was trying to tell him.  The officer got a search crew together and they headed into the woods.  After many hours of searching he came back to tell me they found blood so they knew I was telling the truth, but they had not been able to find the man that had attacked me.  He said they had to end the search for the night and would look again tomorrow, but I would have to stay at the neighbor’s house which would be a safe place until my parents arrived back home.  They told me not to worry they would continue to patrol the area and I would be safe.  The next night my Mom and Dad got back home and I was finally able to go back to my home.  I took hours, but I was finally able to convince myself that everything was going to be ok and I was safe now.  I finally drifted off to sleep, only to be awaken at the same time as the night before by noises outside my window.  I was trembling in fear when I walked to my window to look out, did I really want to look out, no but I had to just see if there was anything out there.  I see a black outline of a tall figure standing there, I must be crazy this man could not be that stupid he show up there with the police still patrolling the area looking for him.  I blink my eyes really hard, when I open them, he was gone like a shadow in the night.  I convinced myself it was my imagination playing tricks on me.  The next morning I go out to the back door and there on the porch was a bloody smiley face on a piece of paper that said, “Don’t go into my woods”.

I am a teacher at Middle Brook High School. My room is in the basement and I usually get stuck working on the printer down stairs because I teach in the room next to it.  I was in the basement working on the old printer, my class was on a field trip, but I did not have to go with them since we had enough teachers going already. It was about time for the tenth grade teachers to go eat lunch so I started up the stairs just as I got out in the hallway the announcement was made that the school was going into our lockdown 3 positions. I rush into a ninth grade classroom to get out of the hallway. I look to see no teacher was in the classroom all the kids were in one corner fighting to get in the back. A couple kids were screaming and praying they get home safe, some were just crying. I tried to calm all the students down. The principal came over the intercom. “Students please stay come, do not panic, there is someone in the school he has a gun but he has gone into hiding in a classroom”. Then it cuts out, since he said that the shooter is hiding in a classroom I decided to count the students. I looked at the sheet of students, “28” I said to myself. So I started counting, “1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28”. Then I look and in the corner I see a kid I had missed, he was  sitting there counting down from one-hundred. I whisper to the other kids to sneak outside one by one. After a couple of minutes that creepy kid and I were the only two left in the room. I told him to stand up in a firm voice. He stood up and pulled a pistol out of his jacket and fired one bullet. The next thing I know, I was on the floor blood dripping from my side. I make myself get up and try to fight back, knowing that he had the upper hand because he had the gun. His hoodie flipped off his head and I could see clearly that the kid with the handgun was an exchange student. I was finally able to make him release the gun, I grabbed the gun and hit him on the head with the butt of the gun. He collapsed, his forehead was split wide open. He finally passed out from blood loss and an ambulance came and picked me up and took me to the hospital. That was the last time I would ever teach at that school again.

“Hurry up guys we were suppose to leave an hour ago”. I grab my bags as Sammy keeps screaming to get everyone to hurry up. I throw all of my stuff into the back of my buddy Chase’s jeep. This was the last vacation we would take before we were off to different colleges. Chase is going to KSU, Sammy is going to EKU, Hunter is going to U of L, Caleb is going to UK because of a big basketball scholarship, and I am going to MSU on a six year scholarship with game designing. We cram the last of our stuff in a small compartment in the back of the mud covered jeep. I decide to lay in the back as we drive off headed to Florida. As I lay in the back the cool air hits my face and I was out. As I wake up I realize I have been asleep for a very long time and we are already driving along the connecting bridge to the place we are staying. As we are driving over the bridge a drunk driver crosses into our lane and Chase swerves to avoid a head on collision.  We hit the concrete siding of the bridge and half of the jeep is barely hanging on the bridge but the front was heading towards the water. Chase freaks out and tries to move to the back. He pushes me so hard that it pops the back tailgate open. I hit the hot concrete. I pull Chase out but Hunter and Caleb didn’t make it. Somebody cuts into our lane to miss the drunk driver and hits Chase. I am trying to get to Chase, I know he is hurt bad, blood is pouring from him.  I trip on the broken down concrete wall. I fall into the water below. As I am coming back to the surface of the water, I open my eyes, they burn like they are on fire.  I am fighting hard to get back up for air, I open my eyes wide now I can see a great white shark coming towards me. I try to swim harder to get out of the water but as I reach the surface I am pulled down by the shark. I am so startled I jump and wake myself up and realize this was all a dream.  Then I look out the window to realize that we are nearing the same bridge that I had just dreamed about. I reach towards the driver’s seat and grab Chase’s torn shirt. “We can’t go on that bridge”, I screamed.  Chase says, “It's not like it's going to kill you”. I look at him scared half to death. He told me to calm down and did a U turn and headed back in the other direction. Chase took us a different way to the hotel called, “The Sand Castle”. We are all staying in the deluxe suite and we will all chip in about a hundred dollars each. Sammy tells us to come upstairs to room 212. Chase and I walk in the room to see Hunter screaming. I turn on the tv to see the car crash that I prevented unfolding before our eyes. I fall back into a chair, it was quiet around the room for what it felt like hours. Everyone looked at me with a confused expression. Then Chase broke the silence with a cough. More cars keep piling up as the drunk driver appeared and fell over in the road and was hit by an oncoming car.  Hunter grabs me and yells, “you can see the future”. I run to the bathroom and puke, trying to wrap my head around it all. We all decide to stay in that night, but as impulsive teens we ended up going out. The next morning I woke up and found Chase on the balcony asleep. I put a blanket over him and tried to find Hunter. I remember he had said he was going to walk down to the beach to let the waves crash on his feet when I was heading to bed.  So I went to the beach and found him sound asleep on the sand,  it was pretty funny, some kids were there covering him in sand. After both of them wake up we go and looked for Caleb. We finally found him just beyond the hotel. He was bouncing in a bouncy house yelling for us to come in. We all started to bounce and have a good time. Eventually Caleb wasn’t feeling well so he went behind the bouncy house. “Don’t come back here if you don’t want to step on a spike” he yelled. I told everyone to move out of the way as I did a 360 and land really hard. We heard Caleb scream, right after I landed. We all ran outside to find that Caleb was gone. We looked around another corner to find Caleb lying there dead with a spike through his stomach. Frantically we called 911 and told them what had happened. He was pronounced dead at the scene. They told us that a metal spike had jarred loose when I bounced. It hit Caleb in the stomach, hitting multiple vital organs. I couldn’t believe it Caleb was gone and it was my fault. After a couple of hours we packed up to leave since Caleb was gone, we needed to return home to be with his family. I turn on the tv to see that all travel would be cancelled because of storms. So we sat there wondering will we all get home alive. Sammy thought to himself then told us he wanted to have laser eye surgery to get his glasses off before college and if this is his last day on earth then he wants the surgery. Then he yelled, “YOLO” and left. We followed him just in case of something happening to Sammy.  He was going to a sketchy eye doctor, that advertised low rate eye surgery in big neon lights. He paid the doctor good and so the doctor went and straped him in. Hunter was so nervous for Sammy that he went to get a drink of water and fresh air. He laid his half full cup on top of the water jug, we sat in the waiting room as Sammy was getting his surgery done. Hunter ran back to the water jug and tried to find his cup. He finally found it near some live wires. The water hit the electrical wires and sparks flew. Hunter didn’t pay attention to and left it alone. All of a sudden we could hear Sammy screaming. Hunter and I rushed to the room and saw Sammy pulling trying to get his headset off. After a couple of seconds a bright laser shot into Sammy’s eye. The doctor tried to stop the malfunctioning machine. After the machine was turned off we could see Sammy he was covered in blood and half of his eye had been burned completely off.  I grab the machine and hit it trying to take my anger out. Caleb was gone and so was Sammy. I grabbed Chase and said, “this is just like final destination, we have to kill someone to live”. Chase looked at me like I was crazy but I knew I was right. “Or maybe I am just going insane, losing everything”. I look back at Chase and then walk away. I didn’t know where to go. Maybe we needed to die on that bridge or Maybe I have to kill Chase. After Chase was asleep I wrapped him up in a blanket. I drove to the bridge that was still closed after the crash. There had been 49 people to die and soon to be 50 after chase is gone. I climb to the top of the concrete wall ready to throw chase. I had a moment I knew I couldn’t do it. I climbed back down to go back to the hotel but somebody attack me and knocked me out. “So your buddy talk to my girl at that party a couple nights ago”. “Who are you” I asked. “They call me Rapunzel” the black figure says. I look at Chase to see a man with a nailed up board. I told them that I didn’t know, “His name is Hunter. “Wait where is Hunter” I thought to myself. I don’t think he made it. Chase screams out a loud scream and swings at Rapunzel. The man with the board cracks Chase’s knee open. Another man grabbed me by the neck. He threw me to the floor and hit me on the head with the butt of a rifle. I awake in a murky swamp tied to a tree. I saw Chase or what was left of him after the alligators got ahold of him. I knew Chase was dead so I just did nothing, I just didn’t move, I just cried. I was finally able to tug lose eventually and I escaped the hellish swamp. I had to find Hunter, god knows what has happened to him. I could either find him at his favorite restaurant or his favorite arcade. I stop when I realized my friend just died and I didn’t really react, maybe I was insane. I finally arrived. “Tony’s Bar and Grill” Hunter’s favorite place. I walk in as cigar smoke escape into the night. I see Hunter with his, “Go Cubs” Shirt on. Hunter and I both had some money running on this game 7. It was the bottom of the 9th and a tough game. I walk over and sit down just in time to see one of batters running for home.   Hunter always sits by the grill to get the best spot. After getting the homerun Hunter grabs some of my food and pops it right into his mouth, it was too late to tell him I got shrimp. He starts to choke up and grabs his throat as he stands in his seat. He falls back as I try to bring him down. His face hits the grill right behind us. He was able to get back on his feet. Then the grill blew up and Hunter could not escape the flames. I jumped into the flames to save him. I was able to shove him out of the way. I looked at his body passed out on the floor. The flames took me in and I was trapped. “Is this the end or just the beginning”.