The Summoner | Teen Ink

The Summoner

Author's note:

I came up with this idea on day laying in my hammock.

Today seemed like a normal school day or so I thought, but there was a new kid. I didn’t really see him but Jes told me about him. She said that when she tried to start a conversation he would just walk away, that he sat in the back and read his book, the book had a strange s symbol on the front, the teacher didn’t get on to him thow. She said his name was Rese Bell, it was on his sports jacket in the top left corner and it was not a brand she had heard of, it has to be his name. Why can’t I let go of this enigma. Then I felt a sharp nudge in my side.

“What do you think?” said Jes. She must have been the one who nudged me.

“What?” I said snapping from my daze.

“What do you think about the power couple going after the new kid?” she said with a puff of her hair to show off her perfect nose

“Jain and Moress?” I asked. I have always disliked them but now it felt personal to me somehow.

“Yea they have been picking on Rese since he got here.” she said like she disliked it as well.

“Why?” I said with a tight voice.

“I don’t know.” she said. Why did I care about some kid that I have never seen before?

“Well it's his problem not ours” I said with distaste.

“Yea I guess.” she mumbled in distaste as well. We stood there as in silence for a few seconds.

“Do you want to go to the creek?” she said with a wide smile across her face.

“You better believe it!” I said. I always love going to the creek. The creek was a strange place that had a strange presence to it. It felt like cool winter chill. We would always try to find out why, but all we discovered were only sticks and leaves. We have many memories there. Sometimes we would just sit and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. That's when the bell rang.

“Meet up at Michael's Joes?” I said. Michael’s Joes is one of our favorite places to go to help clear our thoughts.

“Fine see you then.” she said with a little hope.

My next class was my least favorite. I was about to walk in when I seen him around the corner staring at me. He seemed familiar but I couldn’t pen it down. He had dirty blonde hair and two pod blue eyes. I felt as if some force was compelling me towards him. When he saw I was looking at him he quickly disappeared behind the corner. Me legs twitched as I locked them in place, while they tried to break free. They wanted to go after him.

“Are you going to stand their all day or are you going to learn.” said Ms. Glud with a wisp of hatred. She is the social studies teacher

“Yes mam.” I said like a little amongst the herd. I sat at my seat and got out my note book, feeling everyone's eyes upon me as I did so.

“Today we are going to learn about the Salem Witch Trials today. Does anyone have any questions?” she said in a mocking tone.

Rebecca was the only one to raise her hand. Rebecca was not new but she never had Ms. Glub before.

“Yes miss Rebecca?”she said in a tone that almost seemed pleasant but was a mask for the little demon that lived with in.

“How many test will their be this semester?” Rebecca asked with her kind loving voice.

“Five more for you!” said Ms. Glub in an explosive burst. The entire class feel silent.

“But…” Rebecca said surprised.

“Another five!” yelled Ms. Glub. She doesn't like know it alls. Rebecca should have kept her mouth shut.

The class got quiet after that. At least the intention was off me.

“Ok.”she said. Breaking the silence not taking her eyes off Rebecca.

“Today we will learn about the witch trials now that all the questions have been answered.” she said. Throwing a judging glance at Rebecca.

“The salem witch trials began in 1692. Can anyone tell me when they ended?” she said in that smooth tone as if nothing happened.

I couldn’t help but raise my hand. My mother had told me about my great great great grandmother who was accused of being a witch and was the last one accused in the salem witch trials. That was 1692.

“Yes Jewels” she said. With an ugly grin across her face.

“1692!” I said in a tone that demanded respect. The surprised expression across her face was how I knew I was right.

“Good job Jewels…...”As she sat back down in her chair as if I was the teacher. No one has ever answered one of her questions and got it right. I could feel their eyes again but this time they were eyes of pride. When the bell finally rang. The class  eager to leave no longer afraid of being harassed by Mrs.Glub. giving me their congrats. When I finally got out I went straight to my next class. Still feeling their eyes. I wish I could tell Jes but she was on the other side of the school. I really wanted to tell her about how I out smarted Mrs.Glub.

There he was again this time he wasn’t hiding. He was just staring. Locked on my eyes. That could go on forever. Until Rebecca walks into the gaze and he disappears. As if tucked behind her back. Frozen in place be the memory of his gaze. The second bell rang. Freeing me from his chains. Where did he go? Who was he? Where did  he come from? These questions lurked looking for an answer. Where there was non.

Walking into Michael’s Joes with Jes. We begin to plan are trip through the creek. We planned that we would start at the far side and move along the ridge to the cliff then head back the way we came. The usual route. We walked back outside got on our bikes and were off.

The creek was as beautiful as it always is. Beauty is a disguise. That is used to often. But we were prepared with my dads army knife and Jes’s brothers pellet gun. Still it is dangerous. But the beauty is worth it.

The walk seemed longer than before as if the wilderness was waiting. To strike.

That is when we heard the snapping of the branches and a roar of war as a bear came charging into view. With black boulder fur and sea blue eyes it begin to charge. Jes quickly  climbed a tree. It didn’t want her though,  it wanted me.

I started to run. Fool, you can’t outrun a bear. It was gaining ground as it crashed through bushes and small trees. I weaved in and out hoping that it crashed into something that would lead to its death.

I begin to lose my bearings. As it gained ground. My legs burned as it gained even more ground. Now I was lost every tree seemed hostile and on the edge of attack.

Then I heard a roar of extraordinary pain. I turned to see the monster on the ground. Standing over it was a strange figure enveloped in the shadows. I could barely make it out. I could only make out it’s blue eyes shining like headlights on a dark night. The sounds of nature played their symphony. I turned and ran off, within the shadows.

What was that thing? Where did it come from? Where did it go? All these new questions. Jes came running from a random bush amongst the brush. Her face all red and puffy.

“Jewels are you ok?” Asked Jes. Her voice was scratchy and hoarse. How far did I run?

“Are you?” I asked. Avoiding the question.

“Let's go home.” she said in a scratchy voice.

“Ok.” I said. I really wanted to go home. I wanted this to be over.

Home finally with mom again in her loving arms sitting on the couch. Wishing I could forget all the troubles of the day. She handed me a cup of tea. It just set in my hand. Only if my mom knew she might be able to give me answers or would their be more questions.

“What's wrong honey?” she said. A question that I wasn’t hoping to hear.

“Nothing.”  I said. She knew I lied.

“Tell me what's wrong.” she said with a stern tone in her voice.

“If I told you, you wouldn't believe me.” I said.

“Try me.” she said with a hint of concern

“No!” I said. Leave me alone.

“Tell me.” she said like she was in a mine field.

“No!!” I said. Why won't she leave me alone?

“Calm down jewels!” she said. Her voice was as smooth as silk.

“You wouldn’t understand!” I screamed with my face lined with tears. I ran to my room as my mother called for me back but I was gone in another world. One of dreams and terrors. Monsters and heroes, and magic.

Lying there in a puddle of tears and blankets I seen it. It was their in a tree. I could barely make it out. It must have followed me home from the forest. I threw my head under the covers. Why doesn’t it leave me alone? It has already caused enough trouble. This has to end. I through the covers of me and darted down the stairs. Not looking to see if it was still their. Through the living room not seeing my mother. She must have gone to bed. I didn’t hear the door slam though. I can’t let this distract me from my goal. My goal to end this.

I was outside. I had to keep a low profile as I walked to the house where the tree was. I climbed the fence. And their it was the tree. It was no longer perched in the tree.
“Hello” said a voice behind me. My body jerked around to see. It was the figure in the woods and the one I saw in the tree. It had beautifuly deep blues eyes. It was wearing a black hoodie and black pants and gloves and a strange belt. It was avoiding looking me in the eyes. Afraid to show me it’s true appearance.

“What are you?”I said. It felt rude to ask it but i needed to know.

“A shadowen.” He said. In a quiet voice that one could mistaken for the wind. He turned and saw it’s face for the first time.

I could not see his skin that lay underneath its fur. His nose was flat. His ears were pointed and at the top of its head. The belt was his tail. His eyes glowed like two small moons. He took of his gloves to show his paws. Why would he trust me with his true appearance?

“I know that you have many more questions, but we must go.”He said in a voice that sound as smooth as silk. He grabbed my hand and moved toward the gate.

“What.”The words just slipped out of my mouth. He turned to me.

“Yes.” He said his voice still flowing.

What should I say?

“At least tell me your name.” I said. It was the only thing I could think of.

“Ckhe Yshb.”He said as if that was a normal name.

“Aren’t you afraid to be seen?”I said. How he was going to hide his appearance?

“Be seen by who?”He said in a playful tone.

“The people on the street.”I said. What is he talking about this is a city block? Their would be people everywhere.

“Look.”He said as he pulled me past the gate and to the streets. They were empty. Not a single person in sight.

“Were alone” He said. Still holding onto my hand.

“Where did they go?”I asked still trying to peace things together.
“You mean where did we go.” He said. He was looking down at me and I was looking up at him. What does he mean we are somewhere else we haven’t left this block or have we?