Polaroid

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »

Chapter 6

I show my badge and we are given access to the security footage. “This is when she said she came.” I say watching the tape. The footage shows her, entering the front, then thirty-two minutes later, leaving through the same door.

The interesting part is that the parking lot footage shows a man with a white kabuki mask on in a truck. He just sits there, unmoving for over an hour. Then, he speeds off behind the building. The camera switches to the back of the building, showing the same man driving, then the video buffers, and he is gone.

“Did you see that?” Ben asks, looking at me as I nod. “How did he patch the video?”

“I have no idea. Let’s go out back. Call the technicals to come and look at this.” I order. The dumpster outside smells, but that doesn’t compare to the overwhelming feeling I have when I get there. My stomach twists, and the nausea rises into my throat.

Ben senses my uneasiness, “You okay, man?” I nod, breathing through my mouth as I shake the feeling off. The technicals, as I call them, arrive a few minutes later. Unfortunately, our investigative skills were not as sharp as we thought. Nothing had jumped out at us.

The technicals find a chip on the camera that had a code imprinted on it, but it will take a day for them to crack it. I could do it myself, but I have other things to figure out and worry about. For example, I try for the fifth time to group his messages together to find a connection or something that would give some type of clue away.

I group the boys with the boys and the girls with the girls, the young with the young, anything I can think of, but to no avail. The day drags on slowly, inching minute by minute to when I can finally  sleep. I get home an hour earlier than I usually do, and I head to bed almost straight away.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Writingwizard said...
Jul. 15, 2016 at 10:21 am
Great plot twist! Suspenseful throughout!

Jelizabeth replied...
thanks! @Writingwizard