Polaroid

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next »

Chapter 4

“Do we know how she died?” I turn to one of the investigators, whose name is Sasha.

“Seems it was strangulation- maybe some suffocation, too,” she points to the picture of Wendy with bruises around her neck.

“And we’re sure that it was him?”

“Pretty positive. See the message? It’s just like the others: blood written on the walls. We don’t know what it means, though.”

Staring at the picture, I try to decipher the message: Amor est Damno. Straining my brain, I struggle remember my college Latin. “Love is loss.”

“What does that mean?”

“I don’t know,” I reply, frowning. “I just-”

A voice blasts over the intercom: “Jennings, report to the office.”

A grim face awaits me there. Mr. Calloway has another folder. “Another one was found outside a local home. The homeowners are in the questioning room.”

He hands over the folder, and I walk out the room reading it. Another girl, died just after the first. Two in one night? Maybe he does need someone else to work on this case. Their lives depend on it. I keep thinking to myself as I run a hand through my hair.

When I walk into the questioning room, a frightened-looking couple is sitting in the chairs. I sit down and go to work. “Can you go over exactly what happened?”

The husband speaks first, “W-well, neither of us had to go into work today, so we didn’t leave the house until around ten.” he scratches his brown beard anxiously as he talks. “When we walked outside, the first thing we noticed was an awful smell. Then, we saw it-her.”

The wife is on the verge of crying. “She-she was bloody and mangled. We-we...”

The husband finishes for her, “... called the police as soon as we found her.”

“Do you have any idea how she got there?” They both shake their heads. “You didn’t hear anything last night?”   They say no, again. “Where were you last night?”

The wife pulls herself together, but her makeup stains below her eyes reveal how close she is to tears. “I went to the grocery store and then came straight home.”

“The supermarket near the RiteAid?”

“Yes, I always go there.” She is twirling her long blonde hair, seemingly well recovered.

“When did you arrive?”

“Quarter after eight.”

“And when did you leave?”

“After about thirty minutes, like eight forty-five”

“Hmm. And where were you, Mr.-,“ I flip over a piece of paper, searching for the name.

“Dowell. I was watching football at the neighbor’s house until about ten o’clock; then I crossed the road again to our house.” He takes his wife’s hand before he continues. “It was dark, but I didn’t smell or see anything or anyone,” he quickly adds.

“And neither of you have any relation to the young woman?” They shake their heads. “Thank you for your time and cooperation, Mr. and Mrs. Dowell.”

I shake their hands and leave the room. When I get back to my desk, Ben, my partner and best friend, is sitting in my chair. “I just got out with the homeowners where the girl was found, and I don’t know exactly what to think.”

“Explain,” he says as I take his chair and sit in it, facing him.

“Well, they seemed like good people, but the woman was at the same place that Wendy showed up at. And she seemed pretty nervous.”

Ben thinks for a moment. “Well, why don’t we just go down to the supermarket?”

“This is why I need you.” I smile and pat him on the shoulder. “Let’s go.”

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Writingwizard said...
Jul. 15, 2016 at 10:21 am
Great plot twist! Suspenseful throughout!

Jelizabeth replied...
thanks! @Writingwizard