Meet Me at My Grave | Teen Ink

Meet Me at My Grave

By MuddBman BRONZE, Ankeny, Iowa
MuddBman BRONZE, Ankeny, Iowa

"7 days without being in the saddle makes one weak"

Author's note:

This is a short stiry I wrote in English class. I was going to make it longer, but I had to keep it between 3 and 5 pages, therefore, I wasn't as describtive as I wished it to be. I didn't make any revisions to it from when I turned it in, meaning, it's the exact same paper. I hope you enjoy!

I felt icy cold hands grab my arm, while another clamped my around my mouth. It tasted like sweat and dirt. I wanted to scream, but it felt as if my throat swelled up, making it hard for anything to come out. How long has this man been waiting for me? Watching me? What’s going to happen to me? Then it all went black. I don’t remember anything after that.

It’s dark. And we’re moving. I’m in his van. It smells like something sour. As if something had gone bad. I look around in the van and try to see anything useful I can use to get out. But two things: number one, the only light there is, is coming from the street lamps. Number two, anything I can see just happens to be from the McDonald’s drivethru.
I was about to give up hope, but something caught my eye. And that’s when I see it. A red handled Philips screwdriver, wedged between a stack of books and junk, and a car door. I scoot towards the tool, and with my tied hands, I reach for it. I quickly scoot back to where I was before. I didn’t need him knowing I found something. I hold the screwdriver close. I thought to myself. How am I going to get out of here? I look up. And that’s when I saw him. The man who kidnapped me. We were staring at each other in the rearview mirror.  Eye to eye.  I look away. His eyes seem to go from black to red, and back to black again. Even in the dark, I can see the pure evil in his eyes. I am terrified. He stops the car, gets out, and come towards me… And everything goes black… Again…

I wake up in the barn. My head hurts. I try to forget about the pain I feel throbbing against my skull as I get up. I have to look around. Find a way out. But, it’s no use. The barn is completely black, besides the extremely dim moonlight shining in through the cracks in the walls. I was just about to give up searching for a way out, until I see a lump in the corner of the barn. I walk towards it. There, huddled in a ball, in the corner of the barn, lays a girl.
I try to keep from screaming. Suddenly, I couldn’t breathe. I mean, it was hard to breathe because of all the dust, but I’m thinking I can’t breathe because I just found this girl. I don’t know if she’s dead or not. I gather my cool, and squat down next to her. I hear raspy breathing coming from her, and I can barely see her chest heave up and down with every breath she takes.
I whisper out to her. No answer. So, I whisper again, and still no answer. So I shake her slightly on her shoulder. She scrambles to a sitting position, gasping for breaths.
She screams, so I do too expecting a man to come at us with a knife or something. Afraid, I slowly turn around. But, I was wrong. She screamed because I scared her. I tried to hush her, reassuring her I wasn’t going to hurt her. About a minute later, the barn doors open. The pale moonlight shines through. I see his figure, but not his face. All I can tell is that he is a very strong, and tall man. He moves closer.
Without saying a word, he drags her out of the barn by her hair. She’s screaming and crying, trying to break free of his grip. The barn doors shut, leaving me all alone with her screams and cries echoing in my head… That was the last time I ever saw her.

I woke up to sunlight in my face. The bright red that hurts your eyes, even though they are shut. I figured that that means the barn doors are open. I flutter open my eyes, forgetting where I was. Suddenly remembering, I shot straight up and sat against the barn. He’s coming near me. Dragging behind him is a different girl. I watch, intrigued, but too scared to say anything. The girl has tape over her mouth, and her hands are tied. No wonder she wasn’t screaming. Lord knows I would’ve if I could have gotten a sound to come out of my mouth.
He stands in front of me. Just watching me. I think for a minute. I could run. The doors were wide open. But, too frightened, I don’t run. Who knows what happened to that girl the night before. The good Lord only knows what would happen to me if I made a run for it, but ended up getting caught.
So, I just sit in awe, looking at the man who took me from the park, near my home in Iowa, the night before. In the light, his eyes are a deep green. It reminded me of the dark and deep green of the sea on a cool breezy morning. But, his eyes were still pure evil. His hair is a dark brown, and greasy. He is in desperate need of a shower. He’s tan, wearing worn out blue jeans with holes in the knees. His shirt is a neon orange color, and his once orange tennis shoes are falling apart. And his beard. It is a couple inches off his face, brown, with gray strands of hair mixed in. He looks exhausted.
I roam my eyes over toward the girl. She’s staring at me. Honestly, she looks livid, but yet, scared to death. I don’t blame her. I’m still scared. He shoves her against the barn wall, ending with a loud thud. I don’t move. I just continue sitting and staring.
He unties us both, and with a stern voice, told us not to move or we will regret it. With that, he walked out of the barn. I heard a lock snap shut as he locked the barn doors. Leaving us alone, once again.

He came back into the barn later that afternoon. He brought food. I looked to see what it was exactly that he brought in. There were two BLT sandwiches, two small bags of potato chips, and two plastic water bottles. I looked up at him.
He held out the plates, offering it to us. I slowly reached out my hand, and took both of the plates. I handed one to the girl. He stared at me. As if he was waiting for me to say thank you. I looked away from his stare. Just like that, the man left.
We both sat in silence. Neither of us ate our food. I guess we were both still uncomfortable eating. I finally turned to her. I told her my name was Fayshia. She muttered her name, and barely being able to catch it, telling me it was Sarah.  I turned away. I guess neither of us knew what to say.

For the rest of the day, both of us girls sat in the same spot. We eventually talked to each other. We asked simple questions like where did you live, how old are you? The usual, but nothing too important. He came back in around what must be supper time. My guess, 6:30. He gave us more food. Then left again.
Finally, I spoke up. “We need to get out of here. I don’t know about you, but I will not spend the rest of my days here in this crazy man’s barn.” I showed her the screwdriver I’ve been hiding since yesterday. I asked if she was with me. She nodded her head in agreement. She’s on board. So far, so good.

Morning came as soon as it has gone, which means the man had come. When he left, Sarah and I started talking about how we’re going to get out.
“I’m thinking we stab him with that screwdriver you still have” Sarah explained. I honestly forgot I had it. I mean, I hid it under the straw I used for my pillow. I fumbled for it, my hands becoming itchy from the straw, and then I felt the cool metal against  my skin. I pulled it out of the now messed up pile of straw. I handed it to Sarah.
“Well, clearly we’re gonna have to. Not enough to kill him or anything, but enough pain caused to get his attention off us, so we have enough time to escape” I replied. Sarah nodded. “When are we doing this?” I added.
“Tonight”. And at that exact moment, the barn doors slid open, and the man brought in lunch.

It was night. Meaning tonight. Tonight is the night we escape. I don’t know how well this is gonna work out. We haven’t discussed anything more about our plan. Every time I tried to bring it up, Sarah would tell me “not now”. So finally, I asked “then when? We don’t really have a backup plan if anything goes south”. She didn’t say anything. She just looked at me with nervous eyes. I decided to drop it.
A few minutes later, the doors opened again, and he walked in. He gave us our food, and turned around to leave. I looked over at Sarah. She nodded, got up and ran towards him. I figured that was my cue to go at him as well.

Sarah was already on him. The screwdriver was covered in blood, so was Sarah and the man. I could run, but Sarah would never have a chance of making it out alive. I ran towards Sarah to help her. Before I knew what was going on, Sarah pushed me to the ground, ran out the doors locking them behind her. Leaving me alone, in the barn, with this kidnapper. Sarah took the screwdriver with her, meaning I had nothing to fight this guy with. I ran to the doors, yelling and bagning on them as hard as I could, but I got no answer. I look towards the man, who was already on his feet, and walking towards me. I froze in fear.

Carl Fink was his name. My kidnapper. It feels great to see what his punishment is for kidnapping and murder. He’s in jail for life. I watch over Sarah because I want to keep her safe, and see what she does with her life. Almost like living through her. Oh! And Audrey Kathleen was her name. The girl I never saw again. Her and I are both sharing our story up in Heaven. … So come, if you wanna hear my story, meet me at my grave. But always remember, people aren’t who they say they are.