The Brutal Murders of the Legendary Five | Teen Ink

The Brutal Murders of the Legendary Five

By Marcus815, Tully, New York
Marcus815, Tully, New York

Author's note:

This piece was inspired by my current friends in high school and what a possible future for us may have been.  I hope people will get the value of sticking with your friends from this story.

Benny was my best friend since preschool, but none of that mattered as I sat next to his hospital bed watching him cling to life.  It’s almost hard to comprehend what has happened to us.  It’s hard to remember the good old days when we thought the legendary five was invincible.  Now, as I contemplated what might have been if we had stuck together, I realized that only three of us were left.  Jonathan had died a few years ago at the age of 20, and Benny was on the brink of death now at age 23.  Not to mention that I almost had a life sentence placed on me.
It was a terrible feeling, knowing that the most successful member of our little group was about to die; however, I had comfort in the fact that I was going to personally kill the person who put a bullet in his head.
I sat there for hours watching that machine that showed his heart rate.  I never did know what it was called, and I guess I never cared to know.  It started beeping faster and faster, and I knew it couldn’t have been good.  I watched the world go dark around me as I fell to the floor in shock that my pal was about to lose his life.
The next few days went by in a flash.  Next thing I knew I was on the funeral home stage, giving a speech.  I had struggled to write it in the past few days.  “Say what’s in your heart,” Tommy and Danny told me over those tough days.
It was time for me to start speaking.  The room quieted down as 57 pairs of mournful eyes laid rest upon me.  The walls of the room were a dark shade of brown with obvious wear and tear.  The seats had ripped patches of leather, the floors were creaky, and the stage beneath my feet did not give me any satisfactory comfort of stability.  Sadness must have a brutal effect on a room, no matter how durable it is.  My time for procrastination was over.
“I know that not everyone here knew the legendary five, but the one thing everyone should know about us is that we were truly amazing in our hay day,”  I started out strong and confident, “First, there was me, just trying to survive the treachery that was preschool when I met Benny,” Tears started to fill my eyes, “we were the best of friends.  Then Daniel came along.  It was then that we realized we were something special.  Daniel, or the Elfman, as we knew him, brought Tommy into the group.  They were best friends since the dawn of time.  Our group, however, would not be complete without Jonathan.” I started to cry, “Oh, Jonathan,”  I said through the tears, “we wouldn’t have been… we wouldn’t have been the same without Jonathan.”  Then, as I started hysterically crying, I fell off the funeral home stage. 
No one cared that the local failure who got away with murder had fallen off the stage.  Someone even came up and started kicking me.  However, they did care when gunshots rang out.  We all ran outside the funeral home.  Within our sights was a homeless man in the parking lot loading his handgun, shooting aimlessly.  Daniel was prone to anger.  I didn’t want another member of the legendary five gone, so I held him back.  In the middle of the aimless shooting, the homeless man looked straight into the crowd and shot Daniel in the leg.
The homeless man was arrested as soon as Daniel was rushed to the hospital.  I made sure to ask him plenty of questions before he departed.  It was clear that someone had put him up to it.  The only question now was who.  I already knew the answer to that.
It was clear by now that whoever was conducting these murders was targeting the legendary five, and I was not going to be persuaded that we were safe.  Not even by the detective who replaced me when I had to turn in my badge, my brother.  I received a phone call from his office saying that I had a mandatory meeting.  I would never want to obey his command, but I did want to make sure we were on the same page.
“This case is so obvious; I cannot believe that you don’t see the simple solution,” I said with fake disbelief. “If Mr. Taysac didn’t commit this murder, then who did?”  Mack was casually strolling around his desk in a manner which I was sickened by.  He opened his mouth and I waited what seemed like an eternity for him to form the words he wanted to say.  He was a big thinker, but he needed to be a good talker to gain my respect.  He finally let the words reach the end of his tongue, “I’m all about looking for motive, and Mr. Taysac just doesn’t have any.”
In our high school days, we all had the same favorite teacher, and he continued to be our favorite teacher after we graduated.  That was until Jonathan died.  Mr. Taysac was his name and conspiracy was his game.  Mr. Taysac had motive, and I think he had more motive than anyone in the world at the moment.   Jonathan had finally gotten what he wanted as a kid.  He got to go on an archeology trip to Africa; I still remember saying goodbye as he took of on a rickety plane.  He said he would be back in two months time, but that was not true.  I never saw Jonathan again.  The news reporters told us that he died along with the village he was in because of some deadly disease that they warned us was going to spread, but I didn’t care at the time.  One of my closest friends was dead.  Mr. Taysac had a different theory.  He shamed Jonathan’s name by writing an article with fake quotes and fake facts.  I can still recite part of the article by heart. “Jonathan Ocksteel was a good student turned murderer as he killed the African village that he supposedly died in.  We talked to one of the locals.  They said, ‘Mr. Ocksteel came into town with a gun and a test tube with a disease inside it.  Soon after he got there, the crazy maniac held our leader hostage and made him drink the disease.  He then made the king spit in everyone’s food until we all had it.  He then said, ‘Have a good death,’ and he took off in his airplane.’ There you have it folks, Jonathan Ocksteel is a murder that’s still on the prowl.” The four members of the legendary five that were left launched a war against Mr. Taysac.  We also had help from our extended legendary five that were left.  The extended legendary five were our siblings that were close enough to our age that we were all friends.  Jonathan’s sister, Julia, was forced to go into hiding due to the backlash.  I hear she’s in the Caribbean fighting the natives for food.  The legendary four and our four siblings went to work trying to land Mr. Taysac in jail.  We were not successful. 
Mack continued, “If I were you I would listen to Mr. Taysac. He has a point.”  I threw a vase at him, screaming whatever came to mind.  That’s when his security came to throw me out.  As I was being dragged across the room, I noticed by brother’s secretary, Daniel’s sister.  Jill was always a team player when we went against Mr. Taysac, even if she was a little distracted at times.  Even though the eight of us were together and strong a few years ago, that all changed when I had my murder trial.  Mack and Benny were the ones who brought in new evidence, convincing the judge that it wasn’t me, but the sad part is that the judge was wrong.
It was a November evening.  I was 21, and our group had just failed trying to get Mr. Taysac fired from his job.  Just a year ago I had become the star detective in the town, but going against Mr. Taysac lost some respect for me among town locals.  The night was chilly, but it wasn’t too cold.  I saw a man in the street with a gun up to an innocent man’s head.  I used my instincts at that moment, so I shot the man.  The problem was that my aim was off.  I shot the innocent man and killed him.  The man with the gun ran away without a scratch.  I went to court.
The jury said that there was so much evidence against me that there was no way I could get out of jail anytime soon.  That’s when Benny and Mack came in and saved the day.  I never thought my best friend and my brother would be trying to team up to save my life.  They showed a bunch of evidence that I couldn’t quite comprehend.  The jury said I was innocent.
“How did you two manage to free me?!”  I said in disbelief.  Benny looked at me, “I took  a fingerprint sample that wasn’t yours and put them on the gun.” He looked at the ground, “they happen to be Istie’s fingerprints.” He glanced at Mack, who was facing the other direction.  “What!?!”  I screamed. Istie was Tommy’s sister.  We had all gotten very close during the legendary five vs. Mr. Taysac case.  She was just the tender age of 17, and she was the same age as Jill.  The image that still haunts my dreams is seeing Jill and Istie cheering me on in the stands during the court case, and the security guards hauling Istie away to her life sentence.
Tommy never forgave Mack for that.  We made them explain themselves further after the incident.  Benny thought the fingerprint was from a dead relative of our’s, and the reason he thought that was because Mack lied about it.  He knew it was last minute, so he took the first fingerprint he could find, Isties.
No one in the town believed that the young high schooler was guilty, so they all shunned me.  I was in my office with Tommy, Daniel, and Benny when the fire alarms went off.  I had turned the local library into my detective office after I bought it.  We barely made it out with our lives.  Luckily, I had an escape window in the back.  It burned to the ground.  Mack built his detective office on the same ground with the donations of everyone in the town. 
The legendary five was in shambles.  Jonathan and Benny were dead, Julia was in hiding, Istie was in jail, Mack had a detective office set against us, and Jill worked for him.  Benny’s brother Kyle had not been in town.  His family had moved out of town when Benny graduated.  He did come back to visit and help us out during the Legendary Five vs. Mr. Taysac, but he had a very small role.  I knew he must have graduated by now, so I decided to call him up.  The result was shocking.  Benny’s family had not come down for the funeral because Kyle had gone missing, but they just found his dead body.  It was a murder case, and everyone was a suspect.

I had never been the greatest detective, but now I had to turn those skills on; however, it would not be easy.  My number one suspect was Mr. Taysac, so I went into the school to see what he was up to.  When I finally got clearance to enter the school, Daniel darted out from behind a bush and ran into the school with a rock in one hand and a knife in the other.  I chased after him as fast as I could, but it was not enough.  Daniel darted up the stone steps to the second floor, turned the corner, and entered the classroom.  I ran in right after him.
I saw Daniel on top of Mr. Taysac beating him to a pulp.  He bashed his head with the rock over and over again until he was obviously unconscious.  I jumped on top of Daniel, and I tried my best to get him off of Mr. Taysac.  His leg was obviously nowhere near recovered, and I could only assume that he snuck out of the hospital to get revenge.  It was just as I got him on his feet again that I heard police sirens outside. 
Daniel was hauled off to jail while I went to the hospital to hear the results of Mr. Taysac.  He was in a coma, and the doctor said that he probably wouldn’t wake up from it.  I was heartbroken because I knew that Daniel would be given a life sentence. 
Next thing I had to do was head over to Tommy’s house to talk the whole situation over with him.  Tommy was one year younger than the rest of us.  He was 23.  He was going to college to become a doctor.  He planned on moving to Boston and opening a medical practice. 
“What is going on?” Tommy asked me as I delivered the news that Daniel had been imprisoned, “Is someone really targeting us?”
I responded carefully, “If all three of us are still alive by the end of the week, then I would say no.”
“I think Mack is the one behind it.”
“Not possible,” I said, dismissing the idea immediately.
He angrily looked at me and replied quietly but harshly, “You need to look into that possibility.  It’s a huge chance.”
“It is not! Mack has eyes on him all the time, so there’s no way he could’ve done this! In addition to that, where would Mack get the weapons to kill us?”
“I’m sure he has ways,” Tommy looked down, “How did Benny get killed?”
That’s right. I forgot that I never informed my friends of what happened that day. “We were both at the community fair, you know, the one that happens once a year?”
“Yes, I’m familiar.”
I continued on, “Well, we were walking along and Benny said to me ‘David, I think I have come across a scientific breakthrough.’ Just then, gunshots rang out and the ambulance took him away.”
“Gunshots?”
“What?” I was flabbergasted by his confusion at this simple word.
“Were there multiple gunshots?” Tommy inquired.
“Yes, I believe there were multiple gunshots.”
“And they never caught the shooter?”
“No, even though there were policemen all around, they can’t catch the one shot shooters,” I explained.
“No, he shot multiple times! That means that they would have been able to catch the shooter because he wouldn’t have been able to shoot multiple times and run that quickly, and he also wouldn’t have missed his second target!”
“What are you getting at?” I was shocked by his sudden burst of creative energy.
“Someone was shooting from above! The shooter that shot Benny was behind you two, and he only shot once,” Tommy said
“Are you saying there was a second shooter? On the grassy knoll perhaps?” I mocked his ridiculous theory as much as I could.
“Where specifically in town were you?” he asked.
“We were standing in front of my old house.”
“And who owns that now?”
“My brother owns that now.”
“That means Mack was in the window shooting a second gun into the air! Success! I can finally put him in jail!”
“Not so fast, you’re not putting anyone in jail except the guilty party.” I added
“Your brother is a filthy murderer!” He screamed this theory at me.
“Watch your mouth while you’re around me, Thomas.”
“Get out of my house!” I could tell Tommy meant it.
That did not go well.  Those were my thoughts as I walked back to the front of my house to view the crime scene.  I was a reasonable man, and I thought I better consider Tommy’s viewpoint.
His theory was that the person that killed Benny was right behind us.  That is correct based on the headshot that I examined.  There were other shots fired though.  Tommy thinks someone was at the window of the house I grew up in, aimlessly shooting to throw off the police.  I guess that’s possible, and that would make police search for a man that is still, not one that is on the run.  I decided to have a looksy for myself.
Even though every part of my former house was locked up, I knew one way in that my brother did not.  I had created a tunnel in the backyard that led to the basement.  I went into the tunnel, and rats and other rodents decided to join me for the ride.  When I entered the basement, I heard footsteps on the first floor.  I was going to have to move fast.  I ran up the creaky steps to the first floor, I ran up the wooden steps to the second floor, and I ran up the old and broken steps to the third floor.  I dashed into the room that would have the suspected trajectory to aimlessly shoot.  Inside this room I found rifles, shotguns, and more.  I was shocked; I had to take a breath.  Everything I knew about my brother was evaporating from my mind.  That’s when a baseball bat knocked me out from behind.
I woke up, and I found myself still in the same room.  The only difference was that I was trapped in a corner while Mack held a gun to my head.
“I like to tell my victims the solution to the mystery before I blow their head off.” Mack frightened me for the first time in my life.
“You won’t get away with this,” I uttered this out of my shocked mouth.  I couldn’t believe I had the guts to say something like that to a man with a gun.
“I’ll get right to the point.” He twirled the gun in his hands, “You’ve been looking in the wrong places the whole time, and you let your greediness get away with you.  Do you even remember Julia, the sister of Jonathan?  Did you ever bother to check  what happened to her after she had to hide in the Caribbean?  Did you ever bother to check in on Jill after Daniel was sent to the mental hospital a few years back?  She took that pretty hard.  I was there to comfort her, a friend from the old days.  Did you ever visit Istie in jail?  Did you ever go and visit Benny’s family when they needed it most?  I did all of those things.  We all discussed how evil the legendary five really was, so we got together.  Jill, Istie, Julia, Kyle, and I joined forces to kill all of you.”
Tommy jumped in the window at that very moment.  “I’m here to save you!”
At that moment, Jonathan appeared with a handgun.
“Jonathan?”  I said.
“Yes, it is I” He said this just as he shot Tommy in the chest.
Mack continued, “and I’m sure you’ll be hearing about Daniel’s prison death very soon, but now it’s your turn.”
He pulled the trigger.  I experienced a momentary feeling of pain.  My life flashed before my eyes as life itself slipped away from me.
Tommy, David, and Daniel were all pronounced dead at the hospital.  They were marked off as unresolved cases.  There are some unanswered questions to this story that David still had to find out.  Why was Kyle killed if he was working with them? This question and any others he may have wondered about will never be answered.  He was too late.  Mack was too quick for him.