Deathly Life | Teen Ink

Deathly Life

By TayneyBlair, Monroe, Michigan
TayneyBlair, Monroe, Michigan

'Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.'

Author's note:

The TV shows Bones, Criminal Justice, and Castle inspired this book for me. Along with child abuse, the seven deadly sins, and mental disabilities. 

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

I sat down on my chair watching as my special co-worker, who is older than me, to spin around in her chair, like a five year old, and in public of all places. But even though she was having fun I can tell that she was in grave pain that from the wrap on her shoulder was killing her just like how it was killing me. Right before I was going to say something to Izra, my co-worker and friend, our other two friends, Felicia and Star, walked in.
“Mikey at daycare?” I asked only to see Felicia shake her head yes. But like Izra and I, she was also in pain with the deep cut on her left hand.
Felicia, like Izra and I, worked here with us. She had strawberry blonde hair that is always in a ponytail but when it’s down it’s about mid-back, fair maybe pale skin, and bright blue green eyes.  She was also around my height, 5’3”, and probably around 5’3” and a half.
Star on the other hand, had light brown, often confused as dirty blonde, that was also mid-back with purple tips at the end. She has purple tips at the end because her job isn’t too picky on how she looks and how her hair is. She also had hazel eyes with a bit of grey in them, and she was also naturally tan. Star was also the tallest out of all of us by being 5’7” and a quarter. She was also an Author, which is why she doesn’t have a dress code for her job, but no one knew she was. You are probable wondering how in the world is that possible. What she does is put nothing in the spot where Authors would usually put their name at so no one can figure it out, not even her publisher knows who she is. But of course the publisher knows a bit about her like where she lives and what she looks like, so no one know can say that they are her and claim all of her stories. Now, the reason why she does this. Star has Panic Anxiety Disorder or, as Izra calls it, an Antisocial Disorder.
But then again, Izra also calls us, sometimes, The Mentally Messed Up Group of Friends, don’t ask me why because I don’t know why. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about Izra, Felicia, and mine disorders. Felicia has a bad case of ADHD, and I mean it. Imagine the worst person you know who has it and multiply it by three. That’s how bad it is. Izra has Schizophrenia. They can’t narrow done to what type she has but to her that doesn’t matter. She does hallucinates but when she does it is for whatever case we are working on, she sees the person who dies and almost how they die until we find out who did it. While I have MPD, also known as Multiple Personality Disorder. I only have two other personalities though, Anya and Dani. Dani came to me when I was kidnapped at age three. It was my way to let me think that someone was with me. Anya came one day when I was dealing with other kids at my school who were making fun of me for my interest in crime. So she came as someone who was understanding and caring that made everyone love her. Now a days they play more as a good cop, Anya, and bad cop, Dani.
Though there are a few things you must know about Izra and me before we tell you are story. Like you must know that we both love to make things overly complicated and we met when I came to the interview and they paired us up together with Felicia because we were different and not like anyone else. That all of us are friends because no one expected us to be able to work this well together but we proved them all wrong. But, the most important thing in the whole world that you must know before we tell you the story is that we are both extremely competitive and that we love to prove that we are better than the other, mostly Izra with her dumb pride issues. Another thing is that we are homicide detectives, so we like dealing with murders though we love looking into serial killers. While our friend Felicia is Forensic Science Technicians.
Now, you must be tired with me rambling on and on about this even though it isn't that important, well some of it is, and you must want to actually hear the story.  The story of is Izra or I better at being a homicide detective. This one is mainly based off of Serial Killers and who can solve there’s first.

Ugg. I hate Mondays,” I dreadfully told my partner, and best friend.

“I know. How come people don’t like killing people on Monday’s, but they have to kill someone on Friday right before we are done with work. I mean if you kill on Monday you save of on having to do actual paperwork for something extremely useless.” Izra, my partner in crime, complained back to me. She handed me my coffee that I made her get me from the break room. I mean we have nothing else to do but paperwork that’s not due until next Monday so why work too hard when it’s almost done.

“How has no one ever told you that you two are drama queens? Wishing that someone would murder someone today, are you really that crazy and bored?” Felicia, a close friend, asked us.

“But, you and Marie are ‘twins’ which means that if Marie is a drama queen so are you.” Izra fought back using a little bit of her own logic, which can be extremely confusing. I had to hold back a laugh as Izra said that, which was quite sassily.

“Guys stop. We don’t need you starting a miniature World War 3 here. Including if it’s that stupid.” Star, the most mature, smartest, and reasonable out of all of us. She, successfully cut them both off from there ridiculous disagreement which mad them both pout like five year olds. I didn’t even bother holding back a laugh this time.

“Shut up Marie.” Izra sternly told me, she was still pouting which made me just laugh at her.

Still laughing, I looked over to see our torturous paperwork that was still sitting there. It was last week’s case, which was an easy one. A mom beat her twelve year old son to death in front of her 6 year old daughter. The reason for doing that, to the poor boy was because he found boys more attractive than girls. Like I know that I don’t support it but that doesn’t mean I go around and beat the poor kids to death.

“Hey Marie.” Star loudly spoke to me.

“What, I’m busy but what.” I responded back.

“Do you think that I should base my story off of the last case we did or wait for a new one? I’m not complaining about anything but my publisher is getting extremely annoying about when I will be done writing this new book.” Star asked extremely politely. I don’t know why she worries about being mean, I work with trying to solve murders and I work with Izra, who can be a complete jerk on certain days.

“The next case, I promise, will be a much better case to write about, that case you will need a lot of imagination to figure it out and even then the family thought there son was doing drugs so they had video cameras of the wife killing the son and she even admitted it.” I told her, praying to God that she took my advice and waited for the next case. The last case would be a terrible book.

“That was just terrible of what happened to that poor boy and the little girl that watched it happened. I just hope the husband can get a good therapist for the kid.” Izra inputted see what I mean, you think she’s going to say something nice but in the end it isn’t.

“I’m glad it was one of those cases that I really didn’t need to figure everything out because just thinking that this is a thirteen year old boy and he was brutally murdered by his mother.” Felicia shivered as she spoke about even thinking about it. I understand why though. Almost everybody here was so sad and depressed when this happened by the fact it was only a little boy who turned out to be gay and killed for it.

“Izra. Marie. You got a call its downtown on 4767 Harington Road.” Our boss, Miss Lisen, told us both since she doesn’t trust us with phones.

“Okay, c’mon guys lets go see the dead guy.” Izra said grabbing her coat to head out to the car.

I grabbed my coat and badge and got ready to head to the crime scene.
~+~+~+

I walked into the house. It looked beautiful on the outside. It had a whole bunch of different flowers and a beautiful white fence that you can tell was freshly painted. I can’t understand why someone would be murdered here or who, but the outside appearance of something doesn’t always mean good. Actually now that I think about it most of the time everything that’s beautiful on the outside is vicious on the inside.

The body wasn’t as beautiful as the yard. She was bleeding from her head and her stomach. Her long blonde hair was tangled all around her and looked like a zombie. Since she had been wearing a light grey dress that came up right before her knees. She was probably beautiful to many men but know she was dead.
“So, what happened?” Izra asked clearly not caring much about the victim as she is walking around.

“Shot in the-“Felicia started but then was rudely cut of be Izra.

“In the head. It was four times wasn’t it and she was facing the kitchen meaning she was probably going to check on something cooking or about to start cooking.” Izra finished for her. It never shocked me when she did that.

“If you are going to answer the question that you ask me, why ask it in the first place.” Felicia asked Izra.

“Who is she?” Star asked to Felicia.

“She is Sarah Whitman. She is 21 years old and left New York. I think she was killed around an hour ago.” Felicia told us.

“Fresh kill then.” Izra started, “The killer must be somewhat close or not too far away. The rest of it we can find out from the friend.” She finished seriously.

“So who found her?” I asked to make the police stop looking at us weird since Izra revealed what just happened.

“Her best friend came to see her and saw her dead.” Felicia said to me. I looked around the house and saw a young women crying in the corner. I walked up with Izra so that we can look at the rest of the house to see if there is any clues or anything that might be useful before questioning the friend. Our first place to look was in her bedroom

“Marie.” I heard Izra say to me as she pointed to a wall that we were facing. But I already saw it. Written on her wall, dripping the bloody color of crimson and it said in big bold words that was about half my size.
LUST
Was written on the wall and I looked right at Izra and by the way she was looking at me I could tell that she agreed with me. Lust plays a huge part in this murder.

I started to walk towards the victim after seeing what was written on the wall. Lust. How can an average chick from New York, cause lust or something like this. I started to head back to the living room to see Felicia and some of her helpers moving the body to bring it back to do a much deeper check.

“Felicia. I need you to check to see if she had sex any time soon.” I snapped at her. I hated cases like this. It did nothing but made me think I was part of cheap crime show crap. Like, how hard is it to just kill a woman because she stole money from you. But no, it has to be because she is slutting herself around or something.

“Izra just because lust is written on the wall does not mean anything.” Marie started to try to convince me otherwise.

“Yeah right. How many other cases do you know have people writing lust on the walls like mad men?” I snapped back at her.

“Izra, Marie?” A police man started.

“What!” We both yelled at him. Like what kind of idiot is he getting between Marie’s and mine argument. Isn’t it obvious that this girl probably was doing something that caused this messed up guy to write lust on the wall?

“T-t-there is another m-murder.” He stumbled over his words. Not that I blame him Marie and I must look quite frightening.

“Felicia. Go with Marie to the next murder at” I started looking at the police officer for the answer.

“4618 Maurn Drive it is in the country three miles from here.” He told us with confidence, surprisingly.

“Okay, Felicia you heard him go with Marie and Star you can go too. Also take some of these annoying police officers with you.” I ordered around. Marie, who is always unscarred from my “temper tantrums”, as she calls them, just rolled her eyes.

“Fine but remember that you shouldn’t assume that the women is a slut. And don’t make anyone here hate you cuz’ you’re a complete jerk.” Marie said while Star and Felicia was laughing. I just rolled my eyes and walked away. As the rest of my group walk out, I walked in the kitchen where the victims friend was sitting. She was crying which was normal for someone who just lost someone.

“I’m detective Izra and I’m going to be working on Sarah’s case. I can’t promise you that I’m going to solve the murder but I can promise that I will work my ass off to find out who did this and why.” I started with the normal, boring beginning that I say before every case.

“Okay.” The girl sniffled after saying okay.

“I need you to come with me for questioning so we can find out as much as we can about her before we start digging. You don’t have to come but we will prefer it so that we can solve this murder much faster.” I stated boredly. I really hate this part of the case.
~+~+~+

“What is your name Mrs.” I asked with as much politeness as I can. This is usually Marie’s part of the job not mine. Though we do prefer if Anya decides to make a showing about now since she is usually much nicer than both of us.

“Lindsey.” The young women, and best friend to the victim, replied back to me.
“Does Sarah have any boyfriends that we should know about?” I asked starting off with the most basic but easiest question to ask.

“No, that’s why she left New York was to get away from crazy ex’s.” Lindsey responded back, a little bit quickly though.

“Okay, now do you know any of her past boyfriends that would want to kill her?” I asked with curiosity. If she was just killed by a crazy ex then that explains a little and makes this case an easy one to pit behind me.

“No. They never figured it out and they can’t since I never call or visit, or anyone from her family, they can’t figure it out, I think.” She said sounding unsure.

“That doesn’t mean anything and what is her job?” I asked. Please say it’s going to be something easy a basic, not weird and crazy like this case is starting to sound. I do not want a TV show like case.

“She’s a bartender,” damn it, “and I think the bar she works at is Samol Club.” She told me. Man, not only is she a bartender but she also works at a club. Does this case hates my guts or what?

“Now, there is only a few questions left. Do you know why someone would write lust on her bedroom wall?” I asked. Now to the part I’m so much more interested in. The evidence questions.

“What?” she asked. Probably didn’t understand how this could be important.

“On her wall in her bedroom lust was written on it. We can’t tell if its blood or paint but it was dripping, so it was wet. But that’s not the problem, was she doing a speech somewhere or anything about the word lust sound familiar.” I asked her, again.

“I only know that she was against cheating and porn but that is about it.” She answered truthfully, or I guess.

“Well Besides the fact that it is one of the Seven Deadly Sins and it was written on her wall stats that it was extremely important to this case. And- wait was she against having sex before marriage or people being a prostitute? At all and be honest.” I asked and demanded. If this women wasn’t against any of that I think I figured out why lust was written on her wall.

“No, but that’s because when wee where younger she had a pin pal that was a prostitute. He was one because his parents kicked him out since he was gay and didn’t want a gay kid destroying there ‘perfect’ family” She said quite mad. I can tell I was annoying her. Probably by, indirectly, accusing one of her friends might be a prostitute and that is why she was murdered. But, come on, isn’t it at least somewhat obvious that this woman was up to no good and that is why she was murdered today.

“Okay. Sorry for whatever I did to bug you but you can now leave.” I said, now I don’t care how much of a jerk I am, I really want this women gone and to never come back. Unless she is the murderer then she can come right on back.

“Fine and just to tell you. You are never going to solve a murder with that type of attitude.” She huffed as she left. I watched as she walked out of the room and as she neared the elevator I thanked God.

“You do know that you don’t always have to be a jerk, right.” A slightly deep voice behind me told me. I laughed out loud at that. As I turned around I saw Tommy. Tommy was really nothing but a figment of my imagination and also a hallucination. Since I have Schizophrenia and, I still have hallucinations, I usually saw him whenever I felt like I needed him. If he was alive a lot of girls would think that he is handsome. He had dirty blonde hair that was shaggy but always styled in some way that people in England do it. With a deep tan and electric blue eyes that seemed to glow in the dark. He was wearing a pair of old grey converse shoes, some faded blue jeans that was slightly baggy but not sagging, and a nice grey t-shirt with one white and one black wolf on it.

“Yes because if I’m not then they would do nothing but walk over me by lying thinking that can get away with it. I really hate questioning people like this since it is all of the boring questions so why make it that I have to question them later about why they lied and what are they hiding. While if I just scare them into telling me the truth I save a whole lot of time.” I told him with a lopsided grin. Tommy chuckled not believing that I just said any of that probable.

“You truly are a mystery sometimes, Izra. But then again, you are being honest. Who would want to have to get the person back and ask them questions again unless they have a feeling that they are the murderer.” Tommy said with a dazzling grin. He would more likely be a ladies man if he was real.

“I think the victim was murdered because she was a prostitute. And-“ I started but was rudely cut off.

“You don’t think that this man is trying to be a copycat of Jack the Ripper, do you?” Tommy asked full of fear. I mean who wouldn’t. Jack the Ripper was an amazing serial killer but we don’t need one of those now since we have much better technology then when he was around and killing.

“I don’t know. This one might be copying him but another one I was thinking about was that we can be talking about someone who wants to close down the bar or we can be talking about someone ten times worst, or at least in my opinion. I said, now I wasn’t smiling anymore but hoping my present idea was wrong.

“What can be worse than any of that Izra?” Tommy cried out. Now I can tell he didn’t want me to actually tell him.

“If they are killing because of the Seven Deadly Sins then it could be someone who knows the Bible extremely well.” I started and I heard Tommy gasp.

“No,” he breathed out. He didn’t want to hear the truth.

“That means it more likely would be someone who works at a church or an elder at a church, which means that it would be hard to pin much on them.” I finished looking at Tommy.

“Izra. You better pray to God that, that it isn’t true.” Tommy looked at me with sad eyes as he began to fade away. I waved goodbye and so did he but I knew that if my gut feeling was right. Then I was doomed for this case.

I showed up at the house with my new victim. It felt weird to know that I wasn’t going to be working with Izra on this case. The house wasn’t as nice as the last one. This one had dead grass, an ugly one story grey house that looked like mold was growing all over it. Not only that but a fence that was once a nice metal fence, or at least I guess, was now all rusty and ugly. There was also dead plants all over the yard with plenty of flower beds that was now just mud and dirt. This place was one hundred percent the worst place I have ever seen.
As Star, Felicia, and I walked in, the first thing I saw was three little kids. Two boys and one girl. Then, I saw our victim. He had been stabbed multiple times, my guess is at least six, had a cut make on his forehead and neck, and to finish everything off he had parts of a cloths hanger cut apart and stuck all over him. I then realized the exact location of all of the cloths hanger bits was placed by are arteries and sensitive organ that if they don’t work, we die. There was blood everywhere and this place was a huge mess. But on the positive side it was obvious the guy died from the stab wounds, so his death wasn’t too painful.

“So who is are victim and who are the kids and why are they her?” I asked as seriously as I can.

“The victim is John Mitchie and those are his kids. The oldest is Lisa, the girl, the Luke, who is Lisa’s twin and the tallest out of the two boys, and Mikey is the youngest at age five. The twins are eight and mom died at childbirth five years ago.” A police officer said. Felicia got down on her knees by the body to start looking at it, as I looked around the house.

So this was the man who was running for Senator last year. I can see why he didn’t win. With a house like this, he must have gotten no votes. Not saying that his speeches where even that good last year. They were all terrible. His idea was that we got rid of some of the police force and detectives since apparently we don’t do any crap for this city. Like what is wrong with you dude. But now it is funny that the very guy that wanted me, basically, to have no job and now he was dead.

“Hello, I’m part of the Social Service that takes orphaned children and find them new homes. I’m here for the three children.” A lady walked in. I usually am fairly nice, including to people I don’t know, but this women looked terrible. She had make-up caked on her face that almost reminded me of the rich people from the Capitol in Hunger Games, and had long, obviously died, bleached blonde hair. She was wearing a top way too low that made me think of her as more of a hooker then a social service person. I wonder if they know what she is wearing.

“Hi. I’m Anton, I’m here to help get the kids since this is what I want to be and I hope I can be soon.” A young boy said that walked around the older woman. He had dark brown hair, almost black, with beautiful grey eyes. He was very much on the pale and extremely skinny side which made him look smaller in his cloths. He was wearing a black shirt and a pair of black jeans that look like skinny jeans.

“They are in the other room. I’ll go get them for you.” I told them both walking towards the living room where the children where. As I was walking towards them, I felt terrible for them. They were in the house when their own father was murdered. When I got to them, I saw something I didn’t expect to see. While the older two was wearing nice clothes and hair was nicely done, Mikey, the five year old, had long hair almost to his butt and his clothing where way too big and torn a little bit. Then all three of them had bruises and scars all over them.

“Hey guys, my name is Anya and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me so I can ask you some questions and so that we can find you an amazing new mommy and daddy.” I, well Anya, said. I should have known Anya would come out know that children was involved.

“You won’t hurt Mikey,” the little girl, Lisa, asked.

“No! You’ll hurt Mikey like daddy did!” Luke, the older of the two boys, screamed and jumping in front of him at the same time. I looked at him with shock all over my face.

“What do you mean?” I asked him sweetly.

“Won’t you hit and cut Mikey like what our daddy did? That is how all daddies and mommies act, right?” Luke asked me with concern written all on his little face. I looked over at Mikey and now that I was closer I saw what he meant and gasped.

All over him was dark purple and blue bruising. His light brown hair was tangled and in little knots. It would probably be longer if his hair was brushed out and maybe past his butt and on by the back of his knees. His big grey eyes where almost not noticed be the dark purple bruising all around his eyes. He could have been easily mistaken for a little girl by anyone who saw him. A fragile little princess, would be what everyone would be thinking, not a fragile little prince.

“No, they don’t,” I told them, holding back some tears. I wouldn’t cry in front of these children.

“Marie, Felicia got some information you might want.” Star told me. When she saw how I looked she walked over to me and the children. I heard her gasp the moment she was behind me.

“I’ll take care of them and find information about them.” Star whispered to me. I looked over at her in shock. Star is always so terrified to talk to anyone and now she wants to talk to them.

“I’m positive, just go to Felicia and I’ll deal with the kids.” Star said. I watched as she bent down and talked to them. As I was walking away I heard her stutter and I could hear the nerves in her voice come up. Usually I would go back and talk to her and save her from having a panic attack, but maybe it is time that Star gets better at her antisocial disorder and fights past it.

“So, what’s up Felicia?” I asked her when I got over to her.

“So the victim was killed be the hanger bits in his body and probably was bleeding out before. The slit on his throat wasn’t any part of the death and was more likely done afterwards. More likely as a sign for something but I could be wrong since that is your job to figure out but I don’t know. And are you tired or hungry ‘cuz I am and-“ Felicia was stating before I cut her off.

“Did you remember to take your medicine today?” I asked her. I could tell she didn’t by how she was moving her hands like a mad man and talking insanely fast. So I grabbed her bag and dug out her meds while she was talking and pouring out the correct dosage she needs.

“No. But is it really that obvious because there is no way you can tell that easily.” She told me. It still shocks me that she couldn’t tell that it was one hundred percent obvious when she decided to skip her medicine like today. So I handed them to her and a water bottle to drink. She took the medicine but I knew it would take a bit until they kicked in.

“Why don’t you pack up the body and I’ll start looking for any evidence that could help us. And you should be going since you have two bodies to look at this time. Oh, and take Star with you.” I told her as I was walking away.

I heard her run to go find Star and told the men to pack up the body and put it in the truck to go. My goal was to find the murder weapon or the knife at least since the murder weapon was in our victim’s body. That’s when I heard it. I ran to the kitchen hoping that my worst nightmare wouldn’t come true. When I got in there I saw the police men working at putting everything in place but the noise grew louder and I knew my worst fear was true.
“Was the dishwasher running when you got here?” I asked the men in the kitchen.

“Yeah, we didn’t see why we had to stop it. Why?” One of them told me.

“You idiots.” I yelled as I ran to the dishwasher only to see every detective’s worst nightmares. There was only one knife in the dishwasher. And the darn thing was shiny clean with nothing else on it but a little bit of bubbles.

Well this case just got interesting.