Playing with Fire | Teen Ink

Playing with Fire

By Graci, Bonner Springs, Kansas
Graci, Bonner Springs, Kansas

"Funerals are for the dead not the living"

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

The day I disappeared from this earth I was never the same. I didn't even expect that this would happen to me. Nor did I think It would come so soon……... 

I woke up on my birthday. I could hear the sound of bacon being made in the kitchen. Also the sound of people whispering my name. Another birthday breakfast from the Case family. Who wouldn't want to miss one of those. I get up and get dressed into jeans and a sweatshirt. I comb my hair and put a tad a bit of makeup on. So I don't look like a monster. When my family tries to greet me. I walk to the kitchen and see bacon on the table and balloons all around the dining room. But no family member of mine is to be seen whatsoever. With all my might I try to find them, but I can't at all. Then I jump when I hear the word surprise. I turn to see my family wearing birthday hats and holding a banner which says Happy Birthday Star.
“Awwww you guys did this all for me?” I asked.
“Yes we did sweetie because we love you,” said Shelly.
“Thanks all of you,” I say.
“Your welcome muffin,” they all said.
I don't know why they call me muffin. But I think its because I almost burned the house down cooking muffins. So I think that name is going to stick for a while.
“We made your favorite Star. Bacon and eggs,” Shelly said.
I grab my plate of bacon and eggs and head to sit down with my family.
“So, we were thinking today when you come from school we could to Don and Joan's your favorite pizza place and have dinner their,” dad said.
“Ya that sounds great,” I said.
“We were also thinking that after that we could take you shopping. To go and buy that new piano you have been wanting. Since the one you have is rusty and old,” Shelly says.
“REALLY!” I scream.
“Yes,” she says with enthusiasm.
Go up to them and start hugging them.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I screech.
“You're very welcome and go get dressed, you don't want to be late,” she says with a smile.
I run to my room and get dressed quickly. I run past my family with no word coming out of my mouth. There is no bus stop near my house, since I only live 3 blocks away from school. So everyday I walk to school. When I start walking I decided to check the mail. In case there were birthday cards from my cousins or my grandparents. I walk over and take the mail out. One from grandpa Tim and grandma Terry. One from cousin Jack and Uncle Bill. Then my eyes come across one that is fairly familiar, but at the same time I can not recognize. I turn to see who the envelope is from. The envelope says To:Star Case From: Belle Case.

The Letter
      I stare at the card not sure if this was from a family member that I have not met yet. On the other hand I’m scared to open it up. Wondering if something bad is contained in the envelope. I decided to open it up. When I open it up there's a long letter inside. The letter says…..
Dearest Star,
I have known you from afar thinking if I should contact you. I have decided that I should and that you have a right to know who your real mother is. I am your real mother and I have come to my senses that I want you to come and meet me as soon as possible. I know this may be shocking to you and all. But I really miss you, from the day your father took you away from me. I have talked the court and they said it is fine for you to stay with me because I am now perfectly stable. But only if you want to. You can come and live with me over the summer. I hope you come Star because I miss you dearly. I will leave the rest of the decision making up to you. But what can a girl do without her mother by her side. So to conclude this long letter I really hope you talk to your dad and considering about staying with me.
P.S- Have a wonderful birthday my darling Star.
                     From: Your dearest mother Belle
       I stood there in shock of what I have just read. Why would my mother want to do anything with me. Like she cares I mean she was a crazy women for heavens sake. I shove the card and envelope in my backpack. I decide that I will show dad when I get home. He will know what do. Walking to school I can feel the cold February breeze. The street lights are in a perfect straight line. I can hear dogs barking in the distance at the mailman. The sky is gray with cloud and I can feel the raindrops against my skin.
   When I arrive at school I can see all the kids running to their first class. In the distance I see my friend America and her boyfriend Cale. I go up to see them to say hi.
“Hey April and Cale……,” I say.
“Hey girlfriend you look soops adorable and Happy Birthday Zzzz,” she screams.
Did I mention that my friend loves attention and makes up stupid word.
“Thanks,” I say
“So we should totally do something after school together for your birthday,” she said.
“Cant, my parents and my sister are taking me to my favorite pizza place for my birthday,” I said.
“Oh well we will do something this weekend girl and we can go shopping so we can buy you some new decent clothes,” she said.
“Okay thats fine, but I better get to class so I don't end up late,” I say.
“Okay well love you darling. Make sure to text me about our plans,” she screams as she heads down to her first class with Cale.
  When I head to first hour Science I take my science book out, just to find the envelope I found this morning  falling on the floor. I pick it up and look inside it again. But their was something I didn't see when I opened the first time.

Dearest Star,
                     From: Your dearest mother Belle
“Hey April and Cale……,” I say.
“Thanks,” I say

Their next to the letter was a picture of me, my dad, and a lady to the side. All of us have wide smiles on our faces. I stare at the picture for quite some time. Then in that second I hear the teacher call my name.
“Star Case can you please tell me why energy is important and what is the equation to find kinetic energy,” she says with a smirk on her face.
“Mmmmmmmmmmm I don't know really know Mrs.Kathy,” I say with a worried look.
“Thats such a shame Star. Well since you do not know what we are discussing in class. You can write me a 5 page essay on why you did not know what we were discussing today in class,” she says. 
I sat there, while everyone stared at me with complete shock. I’m really popular since i’m friends with America so I wasn't that embarrassed. But at the same time it sucked to be the center of attention at that moment. For the rest of the class I was dreading for 2nd hour. But when the bell finally rang I sprinted out of my sit before the teacher could give me a big lecture on how to behave and pay attention in class. When I got out of Science, everyone was giving me high fives and fist pumps, since I got in trouble with the teacher. Which I don't think that is something to be proud of.
The rest of the day was like a dream. All I can remember is being hugged by people and being told Happy Birthday by fair amounts of people. Also not being able to forget about that picture all day. All I can see in my head is the way my mother looked. With that big wide smile on her face. As I was walking home I searched on my phone for my mothers name. Nothing came up, but only a picture of her in a newspaper. She was standing in court with this man by her side. I’m guessing thats her iturney. The Newspaper said……
Woman Accused of Beating and Torturing her Child
Court of Maryland is accusing a mother of hurting her child. As she awaits her future in the courtroom.
By: Lucy Welch 
Mrs. Case was accused by her husband Mr. Case of beating their year old child. Mr. Case took his wife to trial demanding the court to do something about this. The judge agreed to take this case and made a court date for February 7, 2000. But as Mrs. Case awaited for the court date, she did not want to answer any questions from detectives. When the day came the judge accused Mrs. Case of abusing her young child. Through 5 hours of  an extremely terrifying time in the courtroom Mrs. Case was proven Guilty of abusing and torturing her child. She remained in jail for 2 years and in mental therapy for 6. From recent reports we have heard Mr.Case took his child away from Mrs. Case and he is now living a calm life with his daughter Star.
  I stood there and read the passage again and again. Standing their in shock of what I had just read and saw. My mother could not have done this could she? I should go visit her and ask her if she really did all these things. But at the same time if the court said she is unstable then I must not go. I put my phone in my pocket and started to run home. When I got their dad was sitting on the living room couch reading a newspaper.

“Dad how come you did not tell me more about my real mother?” I asked.
“Well she is not a extravagant subject to talk about,” he said.
“She send me a letter and a picture of all of us,” I said.
He stood up as fast a lighting.
“She is not allowed to contact you in any way. Is this the first time she tried to contact you?” he asked.
“Yes this is the first time. But why can she not contact me? She is my mother and I want to meet her. I read on a article on my phone that you accused of her of abusing and torturing me,” I said.
“She is a crazy women Star. She is not to be pitied or trusted in any way. Do you hear me young lady?” he yelled.
“Why are you doing this? I just want to go over their for the summer and if I don't like it I can come back. Dad I just want to meet her,” I say.
“No this discussion is over,” he says.
“Officially this is the worst day ever,” I say.
I go up to my room and sit there on my bed wondering what is the truth and what is not. I dont know if I'm ready to meet my mom yet. Nor do I know if the accusations are real. But on the other hand she is my mom. I have a right to meet her. All I want to do is go over their this summer and see her.
After an hour I hear Shelly call my name. I go downstairs with no energy to put up a fight with dad. If only he would listen to me then everything would be a whole lot easier. When I arrive to the living room I see Shelly and dad sitting on the couch. Like they're prepared to give me this long speech on why I can't go to my own mothers house.
“Here sit down honey, me and your father need to have a discussion with you,” Shelly said.
“What is it know,” I say with a sarcastic voice.
“I have been thinking on what you said earlier,” dad said.
“I know what you are going to say dad. You're just going to say she's too unstable to just visit for the summer,” I say.
“Actually no thats not what I was going to say. I was going to say that you can go to your moms house. But only for a month. I’m sorry it can't be the whole summer,” he says.
“Really?”I ask.
“Yes but you will be leaving in June. I have already made arrangements with your mom,” he says.
“Thank you so much dad,” I said
“No problem,” he says.
I hug him and leave the room. I can't believe that I’m going to meet my real mother and that day was only 5 months away. Later that night we head to Don and Joan's for dinner. When we arrived in the pizza place their was not a single soul to be seen inside but sep the employees. I guess tonight its not that busy. We pick a seat next to the window so we can see the tiny snowflakes dance around the sky. After we sit we order. I get a chesse pizza, which is my absolute favorite.
“So hows your birthday going along so far,” says Lucy with a smile .
“Extremely good,” I tell her.
When we get our orders dad hushes everyone down.
“I would like to propose a toast. For my wonderful daughter who has just turned 17. To the way she has grown into a mature woman. Also that she may live a long and healthy life,” dads says while lifting his glass in the air.
“Cheers,” we all say at once.
This has turned out to be one of the best birthdays in history. If only the day that I was going to meet my mom would come any sooner.

5 months later…………..
I take my sleeveless shirt and pack it in my suitcase. As well as my phone and my tennis shoes. I close the suitcase and take it outside to the train. Dad helps me put it in the car. I run upstairs to grab the rest of my things.
“We love you sweetheart and stay safe do you hear me,” Shelly said.
“I love you to Shelly and Lucy. You both take care to. I will be safe dont worry,” I say.
I hug them both then head into the train . I await the long journey that is ahead of me. We are heading from New Jersey all the way to Texas. When I'm in the car I can see the white clouds outside making the shape of a bunny rabbit. I can see how many trees there are. There are farms everywhere and every street you go on , you can see a herd of cows. It tooks me about a day and a half to arrive in Texas. It was weird being outside of the city. I can't even  imagine myself living on the countryside. When I get off the bus, I look around to see if I can spot my mother. Then in the distance I see a woman who looks familiar to the picture I saw  not to long ago. She smiles and waves her hand directing me over. I start walk towards her and she gives me a big hug. Like she has know me her whole life and we haven't see each other in a long time.
“Star is it,” she says.
“Yes and its really nice to meet you mom,” I say.
She smiles and you can see the dimples on her cheeks. He hair is a light brown and she is very skinny almost as if she doesn't eat. Her skin is flawless and she has bright red lipstick on her big fat lips. I would never see myself having this kind of mom. Its like she is the most perfect person in the world. I just can never see a person like her harming me whatsoever.
“So lets get going. We dont want to stand here in the heat do we?” she say with a wide smile.
“No we don't,” I said.
The way to her house was quite. We did not say a word to each other. But she seemed happy that I have finally arrived. The only thing I saw for miles was fields and fields.
“Were are we going?” I ask.
“Well to my house of course,” she says.
“Your house is all the way out their. Do you even have any neighbors?” I ask.
“No I dont but its excellent. No disruptions and no noise at all. Its like no one can here you up there,” she says with a grin.
That send a shiver up my spin. What did she mean by no one can hear you their. I hope I did not make any mistakes coming here. We drive for a couple of miles. Then I see a blue ranch house on top of the big thats in front of us. She starts driving towards it.
“This is my house,” she says.
“Wow its beautiful,” I said.
When we arrive on top of the hill, I can see the house is huge. There are probably a million flowers in front of the house. Off to the corner there is a wishing well and in the other corner their a giant fountain. I was in shock how beautiful her house was. I mean she has no bad qualities. Why would dad say shes crazy? She is the most awesome person I have ever met.
“What do you think Star?” she asks with a smile.
“Its amazing and so are you,” I say with a happy response.
We walk to the house on the stony pathway. When we get to the door she lifts the door mat and grabs something from underneath it.
“What did you grab?”
She holds up a key for me to see. “ A key so I can open the door. I never like bringing my house key with me. You just never know if you can lose it. But if you go somewhere, then you can just use this key.”
“Thats cool,” I say.
When we go inside the house has high ceilings and wood floors. There is a gold chandelier hanging from the hallway ceiling. There are vases, pictures, and other decorations all around the house. But a picture catches my eye. Its the exact same picture she sent me not to long ago.
“So would you like something to eat,” she says.
“Yeah sure,”
“Let me show you your room so you can get settled in. While I make us a nice dinner,” she said.
Both of us head upstairs. All I could see while we were heading upstairs were rooms after rooms. When we finally reach  the room I was staying in,  I could see it was so beautiful inside. All the walls in the room were purple. In the corner there was a beanbag chair. A brown desk was on the other part of the room. It had all kinds of new pens and books. Then one whole wall was filled with a big giant bookshelves. Inside it was probably a hundred books.
“You decorated this all for me?” I ask.
“Yes and if you really like it here you can live here with me,” she says.
“You are the best,” I say and go up to hug her.
But when I hug her shes stiff.
“Well I’m going to make us dinner. Make yourself at home,” she says
She then leaves the room. That was really weird.

I hang out in the room and unpack my things. By the time I’m done I can hear her calling my name to go and eat dinner. I arrive downstairs in the dining room to find chicken and potatoes on the table. She is sitting right there with her hands folded.     
“I called downstairs five minutes ago. How come you are five minutes late to dinner??????” she asks with a angry looking face.
“I just needed to change into comfortable clothes,” I say.
“Well you could have done that earlier. NOW THE FOOD IS COLD!” she screams.
I can not believe that when I just got here shes yelling at me like a crazy person. Pulling the chair I sit down in it and start eating my food. We don't talk to each other the whole dinner. When I finished eating my food I go upstairs and don't speak a word to her. I hate it here already. During the night I hear humming and mumbling. Like theirs more than one person here. I go downstairs to see what's going on, but all I see is that she is praying to herself.
I go up to my room and try to fall asleep to the mumbling through the night .
The next day is a blur. I dont even see my mom because she had to go into town to buy some stuff. All I do is read half the books on the bookshelf that is in my room. I hope the rest of the summer goes by fast.
The next few days mom is okay. She does not yell and scream. We go shopping to the stores in the city part of the town. All I bought was more books to put on my bookshelf. After that we had ice cream and she told me how sorry she was for being such a jerk. I forgave her knowing we can work this out. When we arrive home mom makes zucchini for dinner. Which by the way was really good. After dinner mom says she has to run errands and that I can go to bed. The house is quiet and the moon is glowing like it came from heaven by the time I layed in my bed. I lay there and think of what my family in New Jersey must be doing. That just reminded me of the day when we were so bored that we didn't know what to do. So we decided to have a food fight inside our house. That day was so much fun just thinking about it. I can not wait to go home and see my family. Only 2 more weeks left and back to the Case family.

The smell of smoke and the sweat accumulating on my body has increased by the minute. I get up and feel the steamy door. Running to the window I look outside, I can see firefighters surrounding the house. What is going on here? Has there been a fire when I was sleeping? I run to open the door. When I do the fire starts to pour in. I grab sheets and blankets and tie them together. So I can use it as a rope to get down safe and sound. Tieing the sheets to the railing in my bedroom, I put one leg out. Then the other with so much fear I think I was about to wet my pants. I hold on to the sheets and lower myself down. With all my might I try not to look down. But when I do I fall. When I hit the ground I transport to where the firefighters are. Looking around I don't see my mother.
“Hello have any of you seen my mother?” I ask.
No one answers, almost as if I wasnt their. I look around and then in the corner of my eye I see her my mother.  
I run up to her and give her a big hug. But when I do my hands go right through her. She keeps talking to the police officer. I can see tears starting to form in the corners of her eyes. Why did I go through her? Am I dead?
“So you came home and just happened to see a fire starting in your house. Specifically in your daughters room?’ asked the police officer.
“Yes its devastating, isn't it,’ she says while she is crying her eyes out.
“Well I will ask you more questions at the police station later and I am so sorry for your loss,” he says.
What loss is he talking about? Was that loss me?
“Thank you and I will come to the station later,” she says.
She goes into the house and I follow her every move. Trying to put the pieces back together, one by one. She goes up into my room and looks at it.
“Oh Star how clueless of you. You thinking that coming here would give us a special bond. You should have listened to your father. Then none of this would have happened. Now you are dead and you corps are probably rotting somewhere in this ruble,” she says to herself.
The pain hit me right in the chest. She was the one who had killed me. I am dead now because of her hatred. Oh why I didnt listen to dad? Wait wheres dad and does he know the news? But right before I can think further I get transported to our home in New Jersey. I look around curious of who is in the house. Running to the Living room I see dad on the phone talking to someone in a serious matter. Before the person on the other line can finish their sentence he starts crying. He has found out of the news of my death. Balling his eyes out , he goes to Shelly.
“Whats the matter dear?” she asks him curiously.
“She is dead, she is dead,” he says crying.
“Who is honey,” she asks with curiosity and a sad expression in her eyes.
“Star is dead from a fire accident,” he says while crying so much.
Shelly starts to cry and holds him in her arms. With all her might and strength.
“I’M RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU GUYS. I’M RIGHT HERE PLEASE SEE ME. DAD PLEASE SEE MY FACE. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. DONT LOSE ME, DON'T LOSE ME!” I scream falling to the floor with a thud.
I sit there and cry. Since in my eyes I have no other option. I cry till I cant even breath. Till the all the pain is ripping out of me. Till my eyes go so blurry its impossible for me to see.  Why did this have to happen to me? Why did she kill me and take me away from my family?
I calm down and open my eyes. I’m not in my house anymore. I sit there in a white
room. With a lady looking at me. She stares at me curiously.
“What is your name?” she asks with a stern look.
“Where am I? Am I dead?” I ask.
“Name,” she says.
“Are you listening to me! Where am I?” I ask.
She looks at me wondering how to respond to my raised voice. There is silence for a couple of minutes.
“Name?” she asks again this time with more sympathy in her face.
I decided to answer since I know she won't stop asking me the same question. 
“Star Case,” I said.
She writes stuff down and then takes me by the arm.
“Goodbye Star, you are still not ready to enter heaven,” she says.
“What do you mean I can't go to heaven? I have been good all my life ,” I scream.
“You are still upset about your mom murdering you. So your soul doesn't want to rest till it has vengeance,” she said with a smirk.
“ Wait NO, NO, NO,” Im know to the point where I am screaming so hard that my throat is bleeding.
then feel a pinch in my neck. Turning to see a man sticking a needle in my skin. My vision starts to go blurry. All I can see is the images of figures slowly slipping away.

I open my eyes to see I am back at moms house. Or should I even call her mom? I turn and see ruble and some firefighters squirting water at the house. Since there is still a little fire that won't go out. Going to the firefighters I try to touch them, but my hands go right through.
“I think we should clean up for the night Bob,” says one of the firefighters.
“Yeah I think so to. I still feel bad for that girl who died in this fire,” the other firefighter says.
“Yeah me to, but lets pack all this stuff up and head home,” the other firefighter said.
I stare at them and now realized for the first time I am dead. From my supposedly my real mother. I walk around the house and head inside again. There's pictures, vases, and other stuff burned to dust. I go up to my room and look around to find any sign of evidence for the police to find. There on the ground in front of me is a match and drops of gasoline. How come they didn't see this. I go outside again and I see emergency workers carrying a black bag on a gurney. Quickly as I can I look inside the black bag. There inside lays my body, dead and lifeless.
“She has little pulse guys, but I don't think we can save her. Even if we did she would have burn wounds all over her,” says one of the emergency workers.            
    The put my body in the car and drive off. Standing their I sit down. I mean what am I supposed to do. Then I lay down and fall into a sleep which I hope I wake up from.
The next day I see police cars pull up.
“We need to investigate this case and see if she was murdered,” one of the detectives say.  The go upstairs to my room and they start to look around. Then one of the deedestives stops and sees the match. He grabs it and puts it in as bag.
“Ya guys this was murder. This was not just any regular fire,” the detective said.
“We need to get to the police station now,” the police officer says.
They go to the car and I follow them inside. I sit next to the detective. We drive for what seems like hours and then we arrive at the police station. I follow them every step of the way. “We need Mrs. Case in the interrogation room NOW!” the detective barks to one of the police officer.
I arrive at the interrogation room and see her sitting right there with her arms crossed. She looked so terrible. Her lip was busted open. She had bruises running up and down her arms. Her hair was almost cut all the way off. Almost as if she was bald. Then the thing that caught my eye was her tatoe. It says “death is the best sacrifice.” What in the world did that mean.
She sits there with her arms crossed and her feet put up onto the table.
“What do you have to explain about this,” The deductive says while  lifting up the bag with the match in it.
She smirks but doesn't say anything.
“TELL ME because if you murdered a little girl you sure are going to jail for the rest of your pathetic life and I will make sure you stay there forever,” he yells at her.
“So what if I murdered her. I mean its not like she is important,” she said with a smirk.
“Did you are did you not!” he screams louder.
“Okay I did murder her, but I’m so glad I got to see her rotten body burn to ashes,” she says and laughs.
“Take her to her jail cell. We are taking you to court Mrs.Case,” he said.
2 months later……. 
Life for the past two months have sucked. For two months I had to wait in a police station awaiting for the trial. Sitting there with my hands wrapped around my legs. As I rock back and forth. With no where to go since I have to get my vengeance. But when the day finally came I was sick to my stomach. They grabbed her by each arm and they literally had to pull her out of her jail cell. She smirked at everyone she passed. Like she was pleased to stay in jail forever. Her hair grew out to her neck. As they take her to the car she stares at me. Right in the eyes. Almost as if she can see me. She then smirks with absolute pleasure. She can see me, but she is savoring every moment. I walk to the car with them and sit next to her. She is mad and hateful the way her face looks. We drive for a while till we reach the courthouse. Here we go I tell myself. We walk into the courtroom and I have single minded determination that the detectives will win and give me justice. Even though I am dead. I step into the courtroom and they chain her from head to toe. Maybe she wasn't a good girl in jail.
Everyone sits so we can start the case.
“Belle Case here was accused of murdering her child,” the judge says.
“Yes your honor, I think that Mrs.Case here killed her child while she was asleep and we have evidence to prove it. We found a match and drops of gasoline in the girls room. It has been made clear we even have a video showing Mrs.Case confessing to murdering of her young child,” the detective says giving mother the most evil look I have ever seen in my life.
“Is that true Mrs.Case?” the jury asks Mrs.Case with suspicion.
“Yes it is and I am so happy I killed that little brat in the first place. I wish I have done it earlier. The greatest joy in my life is seeing her burn till I could see her corps!” she screams.
The whole courthouse starts to go mad. Everyone starts screaming at her and giving her dirty looks.
“Order, Order,” says the judge as he tries to calm everyone down.
The courthouse finally calms down, but they still don't stop the muttering under their breaths as they stare at my mother.
“I hear by call the death of Star Case was caused by a fire started by Belle Case and I hear by call Belle Case GUILTY of first degree murder. Court dismissed,” he screams and then hits the gavel down.
Everyone starts jumping in the air. Since this evil person has gone to jail.

I open my eyes and realize I am back in the room at moms house. I am holding the picture of all of us in my hand. I turn to see outside and it is morning.
“Star come down for dinner,” mom says.
It was all just a dream. But I need to get out of this house, NOW.

Sunny said...
I couldn't stop reading this story. It is very disturbing, but it has a great ending.

Anna said...
Very good. Just finished reading it. Love the ending. Keep up the good work .