The Mysterious Girl in the Maze | Teen Ink

The Mysterious Girl in the Maze

By Graci, Bonner Springs, Kansas
Graci, Bonner Springs, Kansas

"Funerals are for the dead not the living"

Author's note:

I think that when people read this story they will know the impotance of family. They will learn how precious they are and the sacrifices people make for family. 

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

I'm walking in a dark maze with my lungs burning. Running away from the footsteps that are lurking behind me. All I hear is them coming closer and closer. It feels as if I'm walking in  the same place I started. I turn corner after corner still not sure of where I'm going. The walls of the maze feel cold and hard like concrete, so do the floors. I keep going, then right in front of me there's a door. But in front of the red door there's a girl. She stands there in a white gown with red stains of blood all over her. I go up to her with single minded determination.

“Are you alright,” I asked the girl.
  She does not say a word, she just has a frightened glance as if something so dangerous was behind me. I turn to around to see nothing. What is wrong with this girl and why does she have all these blood stains on her?
“Hey are you okay and what's wrong with you,” I said.
“He will come for you and when he does you will end up like me. Lost and afraid forever,” she said.
“What do you mean,” I said.
“You will be in the maze forever and when you do you can never escape,” she says. 
She opens the red door and walks in. But before she enters the mysterious world she turns and says use your power to defeat him. The door closes behind her with a big slam. I scream for her but she is already gone. I reach out to open the door, but as I put my hand on the door knob my hand gets stuck. I try to get it off, but the door won't let me. Then I hear a noise behind like the sound of a fire. Once I turn there's a big fire starting right behind me. As it touches my leg everything goes black.

ONE WEEK EARLIER 
  I wake up to the smell of  toast. At least it was not burnt waffles like last time. My brother tries to cook and well lets say he is not the best in that area of expertise. I change into a t-shirt and jeans and head downstairs. Once I get into the kitchen, I freeze.
“What did you do David!” I said.
“Tried to make toast,” he said.
The counters and floors. are covered with milk, sugar, and flour.  You know I still dont understand why my 18 year old brother tries to cook when he can't and ends up making a big mess like this. I also don't understand why he lives with me and mom when hes like 18 and he can get his own house. Also he can do whatever he wants if he gets a house. But he doesn't want to because he is saving his money for a brand new  mustang. Which I don't understand since buying a house is way better then buying a car. But like I can get reality in his tiny little brain. I get towels and clorox and start helping him clean.
“ So hows school,” he asked.
“ Fine,” I responded.
“How’s Jason?” he asked.
“Fine,” I say again.
“Why do you keep saying fine? I mean do you not want to talk to me?” he asks.
“Well you did mess up the kitchen, again, so what am I supposed to say. You can’t get it in your head that you can't cook,” I say.
He stood there silent, not saying anything. Like I hurt his feelings. I mean its true he can’t cook.
“You know the reason why I cook April?” he said.
“Why David?” I ask with exaggeration.
“To help you because you are constantly cleaning since mom works all the time,” he said.  
I stood there silent as a mouse. Not a word coming out of my mouth.
“Well this is still a lot of work for me. I have to clean up after you,” I say with a raised voice.
“Ya I know I make plenty of mistakes but I will get up and try again, for you,” he said.
He was right, I mean I make mistakes to and he is only trying to help since I do a lot of things around the house.
“I’m sorry I shouldn't have yelled at you are only trying to help,” I say.
“Its okay I was only trying to tell you why I am constantly trying to learn how to cook. Also this time I did not burn anything so thats a start,” he says with a laugh.
“I laugh okay since I’m done helping you clean I’m getting ready for school,” I said.
“Okay,” he said.
We both gave each other a big sorry hug and I headed upstairs.

I wear a black tanktop and my New York Giants sweatshirt over. Also I wear my black boots since its winter and my new skinny jeans. Once I’m finished I head out to the bus stop. You know I have a pretty good life. I live in New York City and have a stupid but awesome brother. I have the best friend anyone could ever ask for. I get everything I want. But why do I feel this way. Its like my whole world is upside down even though I have everything I ever wanted. The only thing that bothers me is that my mom is constantly working. Its like she has no time for me just for her job. So ya I  think thats the reason why I think my life sucks.

I meet my friend Jason by the bus stop. We have been friends since we couldn't walk. Also and that our parents are best friends. Well really the way we met was at the park. I got mad at him for playing with my toys so I hit him in the head. His mom got mad at me for hitting him so she told my mom and then they started talking. From then on our parents started talking and we became best friends and so did our parents. But lately mom has not been hanging out with Jason's mom that much because of work. By the time she comes home, she barely has time to eat. 
“Hey Jason,” I said.
“Hey are you still going to help me with that calculus test thats on friday after school,” he said.
“Yeah I will dont worry,” I said.
“Good you better I helped you on your Chemistry test last week,” he said.
“Okay Okay lets get on the bus so we are not late for school,” I said.
As we got on the bus I see a man in the distance skinny as bone. I wonder what he is doing there all alone I mean he could get ran over.
“Hey do you see that man,” I ask  Jason.
“What man,” he said.
“The man over there...” but he is not there anymore, not a glimpse and not a sign at all of an existing man.
“Never mind,” I said.
When we get to school I head to my class and he heads to his. All I can see is the teenagers running around with the excitement of drama. They were all buzzing around like honey bees.
Just as I am about to head to class there's the man again. Standing right in front of me. I observe him, he was pale almost to pale and he wearing a brown wrinkled shirt. Also black wrinkled pants with leather black shoes. I turn to call someone for help but then he disappears. I try to get the old man out of my head. When I get into Calculus class I sit in my regular seat. The teacher started passing out a test in which I studied the night before.It took me like 5 hours to actually study for the test.  I started to begin the problems when I felt a touch on my shoulder. The man, he was standing right in front of me and everyone did not see him almost as if he was invisible.  I get up and start screaming. Everyone stares at me like I’m crazy. Turning around to realize he was gone, yet another time my eyes deceiving me for what was really in front of me. I grab my books  and leave the classroom leaving behind the teacher ordering for me to come back. Not far off into the distance I see the bathroom and head inside.

I drop my stuff and look into the mirror. I stand there and stare wondering if I have gone mad. What is happening to me?  Then the glass breaks and coming after, another. I put my hand out and all the glass stops breaking but they all start to float in the air. How come I can float stuff in the air? Do I like have some weird power? Lifting my hand up I direct a piece of glass toward my face. In front of me I can see my reflection in the glass. I look terrible the way I look. My eyes are puffy and my makeup is smeared all over my face. What's with my face, I mean this morning I looked perfectly fine and know I look like a zombie. When I squint my eyes to see my reflection more closely, there is a figure behind me. I then observe more closely to realize the man is their right behind. In that second all the glass starts to fall making its way towards me. As I fall to the ground I see the man looking at me. He grabs my arms and starts dragging me somewhere. Then every single thing I see goes black.
I open my eyes and look around. I’m in a room with brown caramel walls and bright yellow floors. The only thing I remember is me going to the bathroom and some how got in here. When I turn I see the man who I saw earlier. I then remember how I got here. The images start to run through my head like a tape recorder. He is looking at me, then grabs me and takes me here. He looks at me curiously.
“I have been observing you April,” he said.
“What do you want you creep,” I said.
“I want what's inside of you,” he said calmly.
“Whats inside of me?” I asked.
“Power and you know what I’m talking about. You have seen it with your own eyes,” he said.
I did know what he was talking about. I mean I did lift up glass in the air with my very own hand.
“Why do you want it and how come I can see you but no one else can?” I said with a panicked voice.
He laughs as if I had said a joke “You have a very special gift and I want it. Even if it mean killing you with my own two hands,” he said
“Well you're not going to get it,” I say with a smirk.
Then I get up and run as fast as my legs can run. I hear him coming after me but I still keep going. I run through the double doors of the school and head out finding myself in the night sky. There are footsteps and I keep running till I reach home.  When I get their Mom and the police are standing in the doorway.
“Where have you been I have been worried sick,” mom said.
I can't tell her about the man can I? I mean she will probably think her child has gone crazy. Adding to that her child having some type of power that a random man wants.
“I was going for a walk,” I said.
“You were going for a walk till two o'clock in the morning,” she said.
Wait I can not believe I was gone for that long.
“Sorry I went for a walk then I layed in the grass and fell asleep,” I said.
“So you went for a walk during the night and supposedly fell asleep in the grass. Where really were you April?” she asked.
“I told you I went for a walk. Then I went to lay on the grass and fell asleep,” I said.
  “You know what go to your room young lady we will talk in the morning,” she said.
“Why are you being so mean I told you what happened,” I said.
“I told you to go to your room and do not make a scene,” she said with a mad voice.
“You are the worst mom ever all you do is go and work all the time and you expect me and David to handle that,” I yelled.
“I work because I love you guys and I try to provide and give you as much as I can,” she screamed back.
  I stand there in shock and did not say anything. My shoes trudged on the floors as I went up to my room. When my head hits the pillow I blacked out.

The next day was a blur. Mom wasn't home again of course. But me and David went to go see a movie. When we got home I researched on powers. Nothing important that was going to help me figure out about the man and me having some kind of magical powers. So when I got tired I went to sleep. When I woke up I decided to go to Walmart and buy a ouija board just to see if I could communicate with the dead. As I was looking in the aisles he was there again. I ignored him and took the ouija board. Then I went to go buy the ouija board and when I payed and finished everything I went home.
I quickly went up to my room and I opened the package. Next I put two fingers on the board and said if you are here answer me. The ouija board had one word and it said YES.
“ What do you want,” I said.
The ouija said you need to watch out for him and for the first time I knew what it was talking about.
I close my eyes for a second to take a deep breath and when I open my eyes I’m in a maze.

I turn to look around. I see nothing, but concrete as walls and dark paths leading to unknown places. The sky is black as night and the floors are as light as day. As I start walking to the left and see what I think is probably an escape route. But as I go to towards the light. I end up in a room, but all the walls are mirrors. When I turn, the maze behind me is gone. But as I see my reflection in the mirror I’m not wearing the clothes I was wearing earlier. I’m in a black jacket and black jeans with high leather boots. Also my hair was in a high ponytail. I have never put my hair in a ponytail before. When I turn around theres a door. This door is unusual I have never seen one like it.
It is a door you can go right through.  I step closer examining it, looking how it works. Not using my mind at the moment I put my hand through and I see it come through a mirror which is right next to me. This room I can not get out of. I then move to the black door again and step inside. I end up in another room that is all red and the curtains are on fire. I step toward the fire and touch it. The fire does not burn my hand and in this case this is not real, I'm probably in a dream. I walk around the room then in front of me a tornado out of fire is heading towards me. I run again as fast again running to the wall. My heart is pumping so fast I can barely breath because of all the fire and smoke that surrounds me.
Then I hear a crack. I then go through the wall not worrying about it even though I should because that crack was going to determine whether I live or die.
I fall to the ground with a big boom. I try to get up but I can't, my leg hurts. When I turn to see my leg its burned from top to bottom. Filled with weird looking scars and hints of blood in some places. Wait I thought the fire was not real? I put my hand over my leg and everything disappears. All the scars and blood. Like it was never burned in the first place. As I get up to start walking everything goes dark but I did not pass out the lights did.  At the end theres another door but this ones red.
  I go towards it curios what this one does. In front of this weird red door their a girl dressed in blood. Then the man he goes toward her and starts to choke her. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I run towards him and put my hand out. He falls back and I hear a crunch. I take the little girl.
“Are you alright,” I said.
“You need to run he will kill you,” she said.
“I cant leave you here you will die,” I said with a panicked voice.
“I’m already dead,”she said.
I stand there frozen she is already dead. But it does make sense I mean she has blood stains all over herself.
“What if I dont run and stay and help you,” I said.
“Then you are already dead,” she said.
I go up to him with determination knowing that I have to defeat him.
“You evil man,” I said.
He puts his hand out and then I’m stuck to the floor. He used powers on me. I will never let anyone use powers on me and I don't care who it is. I take my hand and in seconds a wand comes in my hand and in his hand to. My hand lifts the wand toward him. I imagine him falling towards the ground and he does. He knocks me to the floor and kicks me in the stomach.
“I will take your power and everything that is important to you,” he said.
“No you won't,” I said with a scream.
I kick him in the leg and run towards the outside of the heart of the maze.
I see the little girl I lift her up and I run away from him. Then I go through the wall, but before I do I turn to see if he is their and hes not so I go through.

When I go through I end up in a little girls room. The walls from top to bottom are filled with toys and stuffed bears. I’m holding the girls hand, but there is another her right in front of me.
“Now you will see my story and how I ended up here, in this horrible place,” she said.
“Are you going to show me flashbacks of your life?” I asked
She nods her head slowly.
I turn to see her standing there playing with her dolls and having a tea party.
“Elizabeth darling come down this instant,” a voice said. 
“Coming mom,” Elizabeth said.
“Elizabeth I want you to meet Doctor Montgomery, he will be working with your father for a while,” she said with an excited tone. Almost as if she was too excited.
“Well its very nice to meet you sir, I bet my father is very lucky to work with you,” she said.
“I bet he is and aren't you a very well behaved child,” he said with a smile.
There was something strange about the man and I just realized that was the man. Who tried to kill me and Elizabeth. Also the clothing was different to. I looked around this took place in the 17oo hundreds. But I can not believe that Elizabeth has been stuck in this maze for that long. Also thats probably why he wanted my power. Since he could not find someone with that much power for a long time.
“Yes she is a well behaved child Doctor Montgomery. Shes are little Elizabeth and I don't know what we would do without her,” she said.
“I’m sure you don't Mrs.Waters,” he said.
Wait did he say Mrs.Waters because thats my last name. What if Elizabeth was related to me and that why she helped me so I wouldn't get trapped like she did.
“Well can I go back to my room mom my teddy bear April is waiting for me,” she asked.
Thats when I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. She named her teddy bear after me even though I was not alive back then. I dont understand why she would name her teddy bear after me and my mom naming me April. Well it could have been my dad. I mean I never did meet him.
“Yes sure sweetie you don't want to keep her waiting” she said.
When Elizabeth went upstairs I could see her having a tea party with April the teddy bear. Then all of a sudden the window opened up by itself. She got up and looked at the window. Elizabeth got up and went to the window and shut it as if nothing happened. Then it opened again right when she stepped one foot onto the ground.
“What is it with this window,” she scoffed to herself.
It was almost night so Elizabeth went to bed. Then in the middle of the night she heard a noise. She went downstairs to see what was all the commotion. It was Doctor Montgomery throwing stuff all over the house. Elizabeth knew her parents were out tonight and they asked Doctor Montgomery to take care of her. But they were supposed to be back by now. Elizabeth  went into the study room to see why he was throwing stuff.
“Hey are you okay I mean you are throwing stuff all over the house and where are my parents?” she asked with a questioning look. 
When he turned his eyes were bloodshot read with a hint of vain. Also his hands were full of blood and in his left hand there was a knife.
“Why do you have a knife in your hand?” she said with a panicked voice.
“I killed your parents and now I’m going to kill you,” he said.
I told her to stop the flashbacks. One moment for me to think was all I needed.
“Elizabeth just tell me now before I see. Did you die?” I asked. She nodded her head slowly and I could see a tear dropping from her eye. So I wiped it away with my finger. 
“It's going to be okay. I’m going to see the rest of the flashbacks and then I will get you out of here”, I said.
When I turned to look I saw her running up the stairs with full speed and him going after her ten times faster. He grabbed her leg and she tried to kick him but his grip was too strong on her. She fell down the stairs and he grabbed her hair and started pulling her into the kitchen.
“Help me!” she screamed.
But Elizabeth knew it was no use because the next house was like 100 miles. He pushed her onto the counter and took out a knife. Well you get the picture. The flashbacks stopped and
I sat next to Elizabeth. “Why did he kill your parents and you? “ I asked.
“He knew my parents knew about his powers so they took it away before they died and thats how he ended up powerless. Thats why hes after you because my parents gave you his powers. They read into the magical book of spells that the 26th generation of the waters bloodline, the kid of Mary Waters in this case your mother. Her child will receive the power of Doctor Montgomery. You have a supernatural power inside of you that you are not supposed to have. It like eating you from the inside out. We have to get it out of you April because if we don't you could turn into a monster,” she said. 
“Wait how come David my brother did not get this power and how do we get it,” I asked
“I really don't know, for some reason the power latched onto you and not on to him .Also the only way to get the power out of you is to kill Doctor Montgomery since you two are latched together,” she said.
“Why would we be latched together? We are not related,” I said.
“Well you're wrong about that” she says.
“Why am I wrong?” I asked.
“Well you and Doctor Montgomery are related. He is your father,” she says with a sad facial expression.

I put my hand over my head in shock of what I just heard. This could not be happening to me.
“Are you sure,” I asked her.
“Yes,” she says.
Then we both turned around seeing the door open. There in the doorway was my father.
“I found you,” he said with pride.
“How come you did not tell me you were my father,” I asked.
He stood there in silence for about five minutes then finally came words out of his mouth.
“Well I wanted you to have a good life and I was planning on taking David to kill him and to take his power. But I was wrong because you are the one who inherited the power and not David. So I decided to leave David and go after you. But your too strong. The power likes you and you like the power. I know you are my daughter but I will go to any circumstances to get you power even if it means killing you,” he said.
I could not believe what he had just told me. That is not what a father does. Fathers are supposed to love their child and do anything for them. Not to try to kill them just for power. He is not my father and I will go to any circumstances to kill him. I jumped up and pointed my wand at him and froze him. Elizabeth grabbed my arm and we ran.
She told me in my ear “go to the red door that is how we can get rid of him forever and bring me back to life,”.
I ran to the red door and I could hear footsteps behind me pattering on the concrete. When we got there he stood behind us with a smirk like he was not finished with his job yet.
“We can work this out and we can get rid of the power,” I said.
“Like I would want to get rid of the power, its mine April. I will take it and there's nothing you can do about it,” he yelled.
“Yes their is,” I said.
I took the collar of his shirt and pushed him in the direction of the red door. Elizabeth opened the door but the he pushed me down. I tried to get up but I couldn't.
“You think you can get rid of me that easy. Well know I know that you're not that smart,” he said.  
“At least I try and I fight for whats right,” I said.
I got myself up and looked straight into my fathers eyes.
“You maybe can hurt me but you can never break me,” I said.
I then pushed him into the unknow place behind the red door. Seeing him fade away into a million pieces. Realizing I have won and I never have to see him again. When I turned to see Elizabeth she had no more blood stains on her and she looked more peaceful. I then felt a tingle in my body. Thats when black powder or whatever it was ,began to pour out of me. It was the supernatural power that was inside of me. It finally came out of me, but then it started toward the maze.
“Where is it going?” I asked Elizabeth.
“To find another soul” she says.
I stood their being happy its finally out of me. 
“You saved me and I’m alive again,” she said.
She ran to me and gave me a hug. I knew that no matter what I was going to take care of Elizabeth through thick and thin.
“I’m going to take you to my house and you can live with me okay,” I said.
“Okay,” she said.
I took her hand and I walked with her to the end of the maze knowing everything is going to be alright. Also that I don't have to worry about the evil people just to await for the future. For the future is the unknown place in our lives and you never know what might it hold.      

I think this story definitely has good concepts in it with the maze, power, and explanation of what is going on. Two things that could be improved upon is the pacing of the plot--though since this is a shorter story pacing is almost bound to be an issue--and the fact that some things don't get explained, such as why April is in the maze and whether the maze is truly a dream or partly reality. Overall, though, I think it was a well-done story that shows the author has promise.

Jane said...
on Oct. 3 2014 at 9:45 am
This is a great story! I couldn't stop reading it. I like the author's writing style with first person and all action present tense verbs.