Shadow | Teen Ink

Shadow

By Sherlock_1997 BRONZE, Boring, Oregon
Sherlock_1997 BRONZE, Boring, Oregon

Learn from yesterday, live for today, and hope for tomorrow.

That classic guitar lick came to her ears as she turned the radio on, in the ‘88 station wagon. “I’m on the highway to Hell, on the highway to Hell!”, the hoarse voices sang in beat to the drums and guitar. It was that kind of tune that makes you want to rock your head back and forth in a slight rhythm to the song, but she was too somber to sway to the music. Windows down, the wind beat at her dirty blonde hair that was pulled back into a ponytail. Diana had briefly looked over to the passenger seat where Echo sat. The collie’s short hair rippled in the air, his eyes closed against the wind. He seemed to be enjoying himself more than she was at the time.
It had been a long day, and long years. Although that was the past, she was escaping from those hard years, and many tears. Running from all the problems in her life. It will be better now, she had told herself, accelerating on the gas, merging into the highway. Again the chorus played, “On the highway to Hell!”. She should have listened to the words, but was too occupied, and oblivious to even think what would become of her life as she followed the directions to the beach condo she would be renting out in the new town.
“She would be disappointed. . .” A low whisper came, barely audible. Diana’s eyes had darted to the rearview mirror almost thinking someone else was in the car with her. Although the back seat was only occupied with suitcases, a small TV, and other miscellaneous objects that would soon fill the condo. It was probably the howling wind diving through the open windows. But who would be disappointed, and why? The thought was tossed in her head a bit before the guilty thought of Adaline came to mind. Oh Ady, my dear friend you wouldn’t be disappointed would you? A pang to her heart as she thought of her deceased loved one. She was her dearest friend, and the only one she had ever had.
“Don’t run away Diana. Fight your problems, like a true Wailings!” Ady had said, the memory fresh as if it had been said yesterday. She always encouraged her, gave her the needed confidence. Like a true Wailings, those words echoed in Diana’s mind; Ady had been more proud of Diana’s last name then she ever was in all her 23 years. Diana had a hard knock life, a troubled past with an abusive father, and an alcoholic mother, so she wasn't too proud of her family. Ady always seemed to be there though, at her side ever since the two children found each other on the playground in 1st grade.
“Papa’s gonna be mad. . .” That low whisper came again. The word ‘mad’ pierced her ears as it reverberated through the car. Diana looked in the back again. Echo tilted his head watching her reaction. She rolled the windows up, chills running down her spine from those wicked words. Papa doesn’t know anything, she thought, a scowl on her face.
“Sorry Echo buddy, this wind is giving me the creeps. . .” She said, as Echo laid on the passenger seat head resting on the console.
Papa’s gonna be mad. . . She recalled the first time she had met Ady.
“Whatcha doin’ hiding under there, ain’t your momma or papa gonna pick you up?” That tiny voice came to mind as she pictured Ady’s chocolate eyes peeking through the wooden slats on the playground. It was the end of the day, the humid spring air blowing at the girls’ curls. Bows adorned Ady’s auburn, silky strands her cheeks like cherry blossoms.
“Papa’s gonna be mad. . . I failed my addition test. . .” Diana’s voice was shy and quiet, carefully sounding out the word ‘add-i-tion”.
“Oh. . . I know what to do!” The child’s face was animated as it lit up, like a light bulb was above Ady’s head. She jumped down from the wooden platform, like a monkey grabbing at Diana’s hand before pulling her to her father’s red, rusty truck. Mr. Wailings was leaning against the front door, cigarette in the corner of his mouth, arms crossed over his chest.
“Diana, where have you been? Your mother and I have been waiting here. You're in for it now child.” He said. He voice was testy, eyes leaving an ice path as they looked over Diana, dismissing the cheery, young girl she had by her side. Diana peeked past him to see her mother in the passenger seat, face pale, hand splayed across her forehead. Her hair damp with perspiration. No doubt the woman had a splitting migraine from the hangover she was baring from one too many scotches on rocks, from the night before.
“Mr. ,” Ady stopped in her tracks, looking to Diana’s shirt that had her wrinkled, worn name tag on it. “Wailings, Dina was a late because the teacher was so happy she got the very best score on her addition test!” Ady said. Pronouncing her name ‘Dina’, leaving out the first ‘a’ by mistake.
“Yeah, papa! All the other kids failed even worse on their tests!” Diana had said smiling up at her father, hoping he wouldn't notice the little lie.
“Mhhm, alright then get in the truck.” He flicked his cigarette on the pavement, squashing it under his boot. The ride home was quiet as mother had insisted no one talked as it “pierced her brain.”.Although when they got home her mother and father had gotten into a hellacious fight. Diana remembered she had been so nervous, and shaken up by their yelling and vulgar language she had dropped her glass of milk on the kitchen floor. The liquid as white as her mother’s face, creeping along the kitchen floor making a mess. Diana began to cry.
“L- look what you did! You ma- made her drop it!” Her mother’s speech slurred from the alcoholic concoction she had already started on. Diana remembered she had cursed at her father blaming him for the milk. “Oh dear, there’s no need to cry over spilt milk.” She tried to comfort her only child.
“ It ain't my fault, woman!” He said. The rest of the memory had blurred, Diana shook her head staring at the highway. It was so long ago she only remembered the fury in her father’s face and how she had woken up in the morning with the cigarette scar on her shoulder. . . Of course her mother had tried to help her, but she was not much help and not what you might call a ‘first class mother’. She was so inebriated she wasn't really much of a mother at all. After that fight with her mother and father, she and her mother were moved to her grandma's house, and hadn’t ever really seen her father much after that. Things settled down and life was better with her grandma Nini. Nini had passed away leaving Diana and her mother her belongings and what money she had left. Splitting it between the two.
Ady and Diana grew close throughout the years, like sisters. Although Ady had gotten very sick and never made it through the illness just earlier in that present year. Diana was left by herself, nowhere to go in life at her home town. Not after all the tragedies there. She took her money and ran, leaving her estranged mother with her new boyfriend. The beach. . . The only place Ady had ever wanted to go but never got to. . . I’ll send you the beach in a bottle Ady. . .
Bringing her mind out from the haze of reminiscences, she turned the car into the exit to the beach. Small, family owned businesses, restaurants and fast food joints, and other miscellaneous buildings had decorated the main street in the small beach town. She was nothing fancy, this soon to be new town of Diana’s. Although it had its charm. Echo sat up in his seat watching people walk past the station wagon as they slowed. He whined quietly at them in anticipation to meet everyone, wanting to sniff where they had been on their hands, or what they had eaten on their lips. Diana was nervous but hopeful. Something that she hadn’t been in a while. . .
Upon arriving Diana grasped the envelope the realtor had given her when they had met. In the envelope contained rules, information about the condo’s layout and location and of course the key to the front door. It’s almost enthralling, this key. Its a new place, a fresh start, Diana thought rubbing the worn key in between her pointer finger and thumb. With a last glance at Echo, who was studying everything happening outside the car window, she unbuckled, and crawled out of the station wagon.
“Well? Are you coming, Echo Necco?” She called after him. He jumped out of the car, stretching his tense muscles in front of her, wagging his tail in circles, hindquarters in the air shaking from side to side. She shut the car door, feet padded on the gravel parking spot in front of the condo. She came to the door, Echo following behind her sniffing the new territory surrounding the two. She shoved the key in the front door and turned it, and tried opening the door. Nothing. She groaned trying again, still nothing. She vigorously shook the door knob up and down. By her fifth try she gave up.
“Ugh, okay you win! I'll just go crawl through some window, or God knows what. . .” She said giving the door a snack with her palm, showing her frustration, thankfully Diana was a wild child when she had hit those teen years. Oh yes, the thick globs of mascara, and black eyeliner encircling her blue eyes, music blasting in her bedroom, those were the days. She was the master of breaking into houses, and out of them, as her mother had half-heartedly tried to keep her in once, promptly giving up the next day to find an empty bed, and wallet. Although those days were the past and Diana was settled down more and responsible, but that wild child had learned a few handy tricks on the way. The condo had double hung windows. All she needed was a hacksaw tool of some sort. Looking around in the back seat she found just the tool she needed. Sliding it between the upper and lower sash, she jiggled the tool until she got it in the middle of the latch on the window shaking the sash back and forth until, finally the latch gave in.
“Ahhh, and that, my dear Echo Necco is the sound of heaven,” she noted as the window creeked open a bit. “Now, you just stay here and I’ll open the front door from inside.” Echo eyed her curiously as she lifted her lower half on the windowsill crawling into the condo. I must look like a fool, Diana said to herself lightly laughing at the thought.
“Or that is the sound of burglary, and a offense on your record.” A masculine voice came from behind her. She froze her eyes could have been the size of baseballs. Do I go farther into the condo, or back out? Well she had no choice really, losing her footing she fell into the condo, face making contact with the hardwood floor. Her shoulders crammed up near her ears, she felt a hand wrap around her ankle trying to catch her, but it was too late. Now I look like a fool that got caught. . . Breaking into my own condo! Diana spun around, the hand on her ankle releasing.
“I tried to catch you but-” the man was cut off before he could finish his sentence. Thud! The window crashed onto the man’s back. There came a low, painful groan from the man’s chest. Echo barked outside the condo, jumping on the side of it’s walls. Diana stumbled back to her feet shocked as she stared at the trapped man. Oh Lord, no this can’t be. . . The Sheriff? Diana noted his Sheriff hat had fallen off in the bustle, she could see the gold star ‘Sheriff’ badge peeking from beneath his dark brown leather jacket. It gleamed in the dull sunlight, almost antagonizing her of the mistake she may have just done. Not the best introduction to the Sheriff of the town now is it?
“I uh, I think I am stuck. . . A little help would be much appreciated, miss.” He said. His voice seemed a bit embarrassed, or was it amused? She couldn't tell, she was too jumbled in the moment.
“I um, I’-I’ll. . . Is it jammed?” She asked. He nodded his head. Diana walked to his side slipped her hands under the window and shook it vigorously. Click, click, clatter!
“Well jeez, don't break the thing!” He said.
“No, trust me. . . I got this!” She said. The window rammed up on it’s hinges, and the Sheriff backed up from the window, and slowly raised himself to a standing position, wincing a bit in the process.
“See, spick and span! Just like brand ne-” She was cut off when she took her hand out from under the window, only to watch it on it crash onto the sill. “Brand new. . .” She repeated. Shugging her shoulders she looked through the smudged window at him, finally able to see what he looks like. He couldn't have been 4 years older than her. His face rugged but handsome, he had a short beard and styled brushed back hair in a just woke up look, but more neat. He raised an eyebrow at her, thumb pointing towards the front door, gesturing her to open it.
“Right,” She said picking up his hat. She exited what she guessed was the guest room, into the closet. Tap tap, at the window. The Sheriff was peering through the glass pane pointing to the other door. Flustered, Diana walked to the other door opened it and peeked into the hallway tentatively walking into it, looking around at the adjacent kitchen and living room to the right, and the front door to the left. There was cigarettes laying around, wrappers and a few beer bottles. Freaking hooligans, Diana thought. She walked to the front door there was something jammed in between the frame and door making it impossible to open from the outside. Their was writing on the door in red letters. ‘Demons lay here! Death marks this abode!’ Diana was unsure if she had said that in her head or heard someone else whisper it in her ear. . . Her stomach flipped in uncertainty, but ignored her feelings thinking it was just a bunch of teenagers fooling around, right?
“Stupid kids, vandalising this place.” She said. The Sheriff replied by banging on the door for her to open it. She pulled the plastic object jammed in the door and tossed it aside, opening the door to see the the Sheriff standing there. Echo ran in passing the man and Diana.
“Police, open up.” He murmured half jokingly, strange sense of humor, Diana thought. “I sure hope you have paperwork, or something that tells me you own this place and that you aren’t just another kid breaking in.” He said gesturing with his head to the mess behind her that Echo was sniffing at. Diana searched her car and found the envelope with all the information and gave it to him.
“I’m not a kid.” She clarified as he looked through the condo information. He seemed to smile lightly at her being offended by his comment ‘just another kid breaking in’.
“Certainly not-” He looked at her name on the paper, “Ms. Wailings.” He said smiling at her. That smile, it’s charming, she thought. . . Oh stop it you schoolgirl, she almost yelled at herself as she handed him his hat.
He offered help unpacking, but she politely declined not wanting to bother him anymore than she already has, but really she just didn't want to further embarrass herself. Time flew as she cleaned up the condo, and unpacked the car. Various items still in their boxes here and there. She glanced at her watch, it read at 4:52 p.m.
“Oh no!” She said out loud, in the empty, bare kitchen. She grabbed her purse and keys and hurried to the front door. Echo quietly peeked through the guest bedroom door frame. She stopped in her tracks looking at him. “Can I trust you here by yourself?” She asked the dog despite the fact he wouldn't understand a word. She shrugged and told him to stay as she went out the front door. If I miss an opportunity like this I’ll be dead meat. . . She hopped in the car and drove to the small diner where she had saw an advertisement for help needed as a waiter.
She pulled up in the parking lot, it was dinner hour as people were coming in and out of the diner doors chatting amongst each other. She opened her car door and could hear the muffled music and peoples voices inside the dinner. Glancing again at her watch she was about 10 minutes late to the time they requested for applications to be in. The door flung open and an elderly couple walked out holding leftovers, exchanging smiles with her. She slipped in through the door and saw a line of people waiting to be seated. Jeez, maybe this wasn't the best time to come in and ask for a job, she thought. Diana walked forward beside the line trying to get a workers attention.
“We have a bit of a line honey, we will be with you as soon as possible!” A plump bellied waitress, middle age had passed by her pointing at the line for her to wait in.
“No, I am not here to dine. I need to talk the manager about a job offer?” Diana told her although the woman didn't stop to help her, as she was busy with customers, she only nodded and signaled her to wait in line. A few minutes later the woman was in the doorway to the back of the restaurant talking with a man a little older than the waitress, she pointed to Diana. The man came up to her, they shook hands and he gave her a smile.
“Call me Hank, what is it I can help you with miss?” He said. His voice warm like a grandfathers.
“I am here about the job offer you had. I am Diana Wailings, I believed we talked on the phone earlier, Hank.” She said trying to raise her voice over the speakers playing old tunes and voices chatting.
“You’re hired! Can you start tonight?” He said. The elderly man looked serious but she thought he must of been joking. She lightly chuckled.
“I have my resume, do you want to look over it? I imagine you have some questions for me.” She said, though he laughed.
“When is the soonest you can start? We could really use a helping hand ASAP!” He said as he looked over her resume and application form.
“Sorry what, I uh. . . I can start tomorrow morning?” She said almost asking, looking at him in disbelief.
“Sounds good! Doris Dear, can you get this young lady a uniform and whatever she'll need for tomorrow morning.” He said stopping the first waitress that had talked to her. Doris smiled and nodded. “Diana, this is Doris she will be be you guide for tomorrow.” He finished introducing the two. That was quick. . . They must be in desperate need of help, Diana thought as she follow the woman to the back were it was quiet. They were back in a storage closet where various items were still in packing boxes.
“Alright you’re what size hun? Small to a medium?” Doris said looking Diana up and down. Doris had plump red cheeks, brown with a few grey hairs pulled into a tight bun atop her head. Her face was warm and young, yet wise with years. “Here ya go darlin’,” Diana had just realized the small southern drawl in her voice as she handed her a blue uniform dress with white trim, along with a orange waist apron. “Hair in a bun or ponytail, and wear comfortable shoes! See you tomorrow 5:30 a.m sharp.” She said with a smile as she exited the storage closet. Must have been the highway to heaven, this is all too good to be true!

This chapter is to be continue...

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. . . The distant, obnoxious noise rang in Diana’s ears as she awoke from her sleep. She banged on every button the alarm clock had possessed, before finally silencing it. She groggily pushed the blankets away from her body, sitting up, eyes too tired to open. She peered up from her lids looking at Echo who had came in resting his head on her leg. The room glowed blue from the alarm clock letters, reading at 5:00 a.m. Running hands through her bed-head hair she reluctantly got up. She combed her hair up into a pony tail, curling the end into a spiral, dabbing on a little pink lipstick and mascara. She slipped into her waitress uniform, Echo religiously following behind her every move. She felt strange doing her familiar routine in such a unfamiliar place. Although they had made do.

Her bedroom only consisting of a suit class for of her clothes, air-mattress, and a few boxes. The Living room had foam pads down and pillows lining them as a makeshift couch a rubbermaid box as a coffee table already adorned with newspapers and an old coffee mug from the night before, her TV resting on boxes containing her movies and electronics. There was a few dirty dishes in the sink of the kitchen and two fold-out chairs against the breakfast-bar counters. It wasn’t exactly home, but it was home now.

She had instant oatmeal in the microwave, as Echo nibble at his breakfast. She let him go to the grassy land outside the old condo, there were trees and bushes blocking the view of the ocean and sandy beach, although she could hear it in the far distance. Once she finished her breakfast, she called for Echo to come in, promising a walk on the beach when she got back from work later that day.

She was honestly enthusiastic for laying a job so quickly, however early mornings weren’t her thing. Pulling into the parking lot of the dinner the deja vu music was playing once again in the overhead speakers. Rushing up to the door, tying on her orange apron, and knocking at the locked door. She could see a waitress behind the counter, filing her nails. She was skinny, with long brown hair pulled into a ponytail that met her upper back. She glanced at Diana before yelling something in the back. Doris came out from the kitchen hands full with napkin holders. Doris gave the other young lady a annoyed looked before greeting Diana at the front door, unlocking it and letting her in.

“Howdy hun,” Doris said.

“Good morning,” Diana replied with a smile.

“Sorry ‘bout that, someone doesn’t know how to pick up their weight around here. . .” Doris said, obviously complaining about the young lady behind the counter not helping.

“That’s quite alright, I am not late am I?” Doris shook her head and lead Diana back to the kitchen and storage closet, handed her a large multipack bag of napkins and signaled to the napkin dispensers.

“You’ve got ‘bout 30 minutes till it’s six, and the breakfast hour starts, I need napkin dispensers on each table and few on the breakfast-bar. Look over the menu best you can before people start to come in, it will help a lot, trust me. You do have waitress experience right?” Doris paused as if realizing Diana may be a total rookie in such a situation.

“Well my first job was cleaning tables and taking orders at the counter in a fast food restaurant. Can’t be much different from that can it?” Diana said.

“It’s pretty much the same, but you have to deal with the people more. Just put a smile on that face, you should do just fine!” Doris said, and with that she turned around and exited the storage closet. Diana did as she was told, stuffing napkins into the dispensers, and setting one on each table.
Once finishing, Doris gave her an assigned section to take care of in the diner. The customers seemed to come in rushes, then quiet back down. The day seemed like any other first day on the job, a little nerve racking to be dealing with new people, although there was only the three waitress’ Diana herself, Doris, and the other young lady whom hadn't taken her eyes off her nails and pocket mirror to even say hello to Diana, the cooks, and Hank in his back office doing who knows what. What did Doris call that young lady again? Brooke, Bailey, Brenda? No no it was Brenna, that’s right. Not the friendliest of the bunch are you Brenna? Diana wanted to say this to the cold co-worker but refrained.
Diana was on the phone with a customer, taking a call-in order when Doris came up to her reaching for the phone, “I put a Sheriff in your section, my single seaters are all taken. I’ll take the phone call hun, just go get the man a root beer, thats his regular drink.” Diana looked puzzled, but upon hearing the title “Sheriff” the embarrassing memory came back to haunt her. The image of her hanging half way through the window talking to her dog came to mind. . . No not him again. . . Diana’s cheeks turned a bright shade of red as she widened her eyes and shook her head. Doris took the phone and shooed her away slightly chuckling.
Diana turned around to look over the counter, and sure enough. . . Speak of the Devil, Diana thought as she stared at him. He caught her gaze and smiled at her, as she struggled to evade the awkward situation. Slipping into the back she filled a glass of root beer and grabbed a straw.
“What are ya waiting for darlin’? He isn’t that scary!” Doris said, “Plus I heard he is single!” She winked at Diana teasing her, and laughed at her awkward smile. Diana sighed and walked out of the kitchen holding his root beer in one hand and a menu between her arm and hip. She reluctantly smiled at him placing the drink down and handing him the menu.
“Hi ya, Mr. Sheriff,” Oh God Mr. Sheriff? Diana why? “I’m Diana, I’ll be your server for the afternoon, do you need anything before you look over the menu?” She managed to choke out the words in the most awkward voice she could have possibly mustered.
“Ms. Walings? Nice to see you not hanging halfway through windows.” He replied and laughed lightly at the thought. Diana blushed and gave an him an unimpressed smile. It was kinda funny. . . “I’ll just have the bacon cheese burger with fries, thank you.” He finished with a charming smile. Do I hate him, or like him? So charming, but almost onery. . . She glanced at his eyes and teeth peering from his thin lips guarded by a trimmed beard. Like, definitely like.
“I’ll have that ready in a jiffy Sheriff,” Diana said taking the menu that he handed back to her.
“Please call me Gabe, Diana.” He said. She smiled and nodded her agreement, “Will do, Gabe.”.
Diana turned to see a woman seated at her side of the breakfast bar. She slipped the menu in front of the young women, who wore a cap on her head, and newspaper pulled in front of her face.
“Can I get you something to drink Miss?” Diana asked the women
“Just some hot coffee will do. . .” Her voice sounded like a whisper reverberating through Diana’s ears. She lowered the newspaper to reveal a strange smile. She looks familiar. Those teeth and those lips. . . They-they look like mine. Impossible, Diana thought as she quickly turned to get a pot of coffee shaking off the chills of the woman's voice. She filled the cup with coffee before dashing away to place the Sheriff’s, Gabe’s, order in the kitchen. Doris stopped her in her tracks.
“What are you doing?” Doris looked confused.
“I am just placing the Sheriff’s order. . .” Diana said her answer a bit skeptical of Doris’s question.
“No hun, I mean why are you filling a cup with coffee and placing a menu in an empty seat?” Diana raised a brow at Doris. She looked behind her shoulder to where the women was just a second ago sitting with the newspaper. It was empty, only the menu and coffee cup sat on the counter.
“She was just there. . .” Diana said, almost in a whisper.
“Go pick it up, I’ll place the Sheriff’s order for ya,” Doris said taking the order note out of Diana’s loose grip. She walked up to the coffee cup placing the menu under her arm. She glanced at the cup, it was a little more than half full, as if someone has taken a slip out of it. That’s odd. . . Must of been the women. Why hadn’t Doris seen her? Where did she go? There was a few drops of coffee beside the cup that were made into a frowning face. . . Diana furrowed her brows and wiped the droplets away, pouring the rest of the contents down the sink. Her skin flushed and felt hot, and she didn’t feel well, her thoughts jumbled and didn’t make sense. I need to go in the bathroom and splash some water on my face, I am not feeling too well. . .
Standing in front of mirror, faucet running, Diana dabbed cold water on to her dizzy head. Her vision was spinning and she felt confused. Maybe I just haven’t eaten enough today. . . She thought. She looked at herself in the mirror, the image seemed to flash between herself, and the women at the breakfast-bar. It barely changed though, the women looked some much like her, if not, it was herself that was at the breakfast bar. But I am right here. . . Nothing seemed to make sense, but there came a rapping at the bathroom door and Doris’s voice checking in on her. She clicked back to reality, as if she had left it for a minute or so, staring into the reflection.
“Yeah, I-I am okay. I was just feeling a little dizzy, I don’t think I ate enough that’s all.” Diana said, has she recollected herself, patting her skin dry as it finally cooled, shudders running down her spine.
“Oh okay, well the Sheriff is ready for his receipt.” Doris said. Diana heard footsteps getting fainter as Doris walked away, she gripped at the door handle and glanced in the mirror. It was normal once more. It’s fine, everything is fine. . . Diana rang up Gabe’s receipt, but when she went to clear his table there was a note beside her tip. “The oceanfront fair is in town, I'd love to take you in The Old Cadillac. Saturday night 6:00 p.m. I’ll be at your door step. -Gabriel Blaike”, The note was written on the back of a unused traffic ticket. On the front side it said “Don’t make you take you in the police cruiser, that would be a first!” Diana smiled down at the note, humorous, she thought. He would take me in the back of a police cruiser before taking no for an answer. Games on Mr. Blaike, win me over!

***

“Run away! Run away, little Diana!” It yelled at her. Someone yelled at her. The walls spun and blackness creeped up them, where am I? Ady stood in the corner of the blank room, blackness consuming her. Her face was sad, and young, she was a teenager. Her jean jacket and black pants gave her a rough and tough look, although Diana knew just how vulnerable she was, they both knew. Those years were so fragile.

“You left me Dina. . .” Ady said using the childhood nickname she had given Diana. Diana’s heart ached as she looked at the younger version of Ady, she was just on the verge of being a women. She had barely gotten to be a women before death had it’s cruel clutches around her.

“I never left your side, Ady. . . What do you mean I left you?” Diana was confused and almost hurt that Ady would think she would ever leave her.

“You have already moved on. You left me there, in my grave and ran away. Why do you always run away?” Ady seemed to be on the verge of tears.

“How could I stay Ady? No, I couldn’t, not without you there, physically beside me. I thought you would be happy for me, I am doing better than ever. . . I’ll send you the beach in a bottle. . .” Diana said desperately wanting to coddle her young friend, but couldn't move her feet. The blackness swallowed Ady, Diana didn’t know what to do, she wanted to scream for help but wanted to cry, wallowing in her self pity and lose as Ady disappeared. Not again, don’t die on me again. . .
Diana stood facing the women at the breakfast bar. Or was it herself? “You're the weak link in the Wailings.” The women’s lips where moving as if she were saying it, but had Ady’s voice. She took her cap off her head and pulled her hair out of it’s ponytail. Diana’s hair seemed to move in the same way falling at the backs of her shoulders and face. Is that me? It looks like me, but there is something different. . . The hair? No. The eyes. Those dark eyes.
Diana awoke in a shock, her body jolting in bed as if electricity was running through her veins. The room was still, no blackness, no Ady, no dark eyes. . . Just her empty bedroom in the Condo. Echo was laying on the air mattress with her, light seeping in through the window blinds. Diana finally breathed in air, lungs greedy for more not realizing she had been holding her breath in fear. She rubbed her forehead, trying to berid the bad dream. The week had passed and she was losing sleep from these night terrors, and delusions. It was Friday though, and she had a date with the Sheriff.