The Third Person

Author's note: I've always had an interest in both physical and mental disorders, but mostly mental and...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

I've always had an interest in both physical and mental disorders, but mostly mental and especially Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). The boy, Alec is loosely based off a friend of mine and Honour is a very complex girl and I enjoy writing about complex people

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences
 « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next »

Six

Of course, bubbly and excited Gracie wanted to be the one to tell Anastasia that her mute nephew had spoken. I couldn't help but feel a little uplifted myself, I wanted to laugh when Gracie ran into the kitchen, hand in hand with Alec, who was much, much taller than her, just as mum and Anastasia came in an hour and a half after our miracle moment.
"Ana! Ana!"
"No shouting inside, Gracie" mum said sternly, looking a little disheartened that her daughter wasn't excited to see her
"How was brunch darling?" dad greeted mum more gratefully, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and kissing her on the cheek.
"Extravagant. Now what's all the excitement about? Honour's smiling and Gracie is shouting."
"I believe Gracie called dibs on this one"
"Oh! I am too excited!" Anastasia clapped her hands "Ok little darling what is it you want to tell me?"
"Alec talked! Alec talked!"
"Really?" both mum and Ana looked at each other, then Gracie, then Alec, then me.
"Like a sentence?" mum asked me
"No, just one word. "you." but, that's still an improvement, right? Hasn't he never spoken before?"
"He has" Anastasia admitted, but before the excitement died down too much she added "but not to anyone outside of family!" she smiled specifically at me "He must like you."

Sundays were always boring in my household, unless it was a festive day shared by all of Crystal Creek or someone's birthday. Otherwise it involved homework, chit chat, household chores and backyard work if needed. Gracie and I would usually lounge about watching a movie we've seen a bazillion times. I'd grown tired of kids films as I was sick of their predictable nature but my preferred entertainment was not-according to my mother- reasonably suited for kids. To my fortune, Gracie had pleaded for permission to go and have a "play" with her friend Aria. This wish was granted and I had free television rights. Mum and dad were going grocery shopping and so they offered to take her but I had to walk down at four o'clock to pick her up.
"I have to go supervise Mimi's release from detention, too." mum did her usual kiss on the forehead and was off, pulling dad by the hand behind her. I found it a little odd, my parents. So many families had gone through divorces or were in a whirlwind of constant bickering but my parents seemed to still be utterly in love. They'd been high school sweethearts and bonded through a group project in their social studies class. You know, the realistic fantasy every adolescent girl dreams of making real. In all honestly, it's a little easier for all of us living in Crystal Creek to stay with one person. We are such a small and tight community that we know almost everyone, which means we're unlikely to meet someone new who will up the qualities of the person you're already with. I curled up on the couch and had the air conditioner on low because high was too noisy. The movie I watched was a high school comedy about an attractive basketball player who, to everyone's surprise comes out of the closet. The first time I had watched this movie I had felt guilty for being surprised as I hated stereotypical judgements. But he was extremely opposite from the typical gay character. Instead of a high pitched voice, love for fashion and obsession with untalented boy bands, he was a muscled up star athlete who listened to AC/DC and played basketball. He even had a girlfriend. The typical blonde with the "I'm so freaking perfect" attitude. After the movie finished I only had half an hour until four so I got changed into something that was "publically appropriate". ( so in other words, not my PJs). Walking out into the Summer afternoon sun left me feeling dizzy in an instant, I hadn't realised that the AC was on inside. I was wearing a loose tee shirt and denim shorts which made much of my skin vulnerable to the UV exposure that was likely to result in a lovely and fresh sunburn. Still, my sun smart concern had walked me halfway down my street and I was too lazy to walk back to the house and apply sunscreen. Gracie's friends house wasn't far, it was near the high school, close to the cemetery and Crystal Creek Gardens-a stretch of freshly mowed lawns with various gardens, barbecue sites, a playground and the nicest area of the creek for swimming. As I came near the cemetery and the gardens I was surprised to hear a loud beeping. I ignored the beeping and pushed open the gate to the cemetery-just one quick visit. Ivy's headstone was where it always had been, once again decorated with various flora. I wondered how often the Summers came down here; Karolyn Summers with her motherly smile and endless collection of teddy bears and Jake, Ivy's brother who I'd had an enormous crush on as a child. I don't really see the anymore as they-unsurprisingly yet amazingly- left Crystal Creek. Distraught had driven them away and at the time I was too young to find their sudden movement unusual, but growing up and learning the systems-I did find it odd. My dad found it easy to go in and out of the neighbourhood because it was his job as the Crystal Creek representative on the District Council but other than that it was supposedly "a real nightmare" as some people joke. I don't know exactly what this "real nightmare" involved and I'm sure it was an exaggeration. As I rested by the gravestone with my legs crossed and the sun burning at my skin, I didn't even notice my phone vibrating against my skin. I did however hear the crinkle of leaves nearby, I quickly looked up to see where the sound came from but there was no one in sight. I assumed it must have belonged to a bird until I heard more leaf crunching noises. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a pair of black and white runners head towards me. In a panic, I jumped up quickly and as the approaching stranger was coming from where I had entered the cemetery, I had to sprint the other way. My heart bet rapidly in my chest and my eyes were tearing up, Please don't hurt me! I wanted to scream. My feet bet hard against the ground and my legs ached from running so fast. When I reached the east side gate I pushed it open with shaking hands and stumbled out onto the road where I turned and flew towards the comfort of the gardens that were often packed with picnickers and laughing children. This time it wasn't. I stopped dead in my tracks as I remembered the beeping and laid my eyes on a massive yellow truck destroying the beloved gardens. I suddenly felt someone come up behind me, instinct led me to turn around and knee them in the sensitive area, pushing them down to the ground. The stranger struggled underneath for a few seconds then started crying
"No!" he pushed me up "No!" I suddenly looked down in to familiar hazel eyes...
"Alec!" I sat up abruptly and realised I was sitting on something far softer than the path I was on a second ago. My legs were spread in front over the scratchy blanket that rested over our lounge room couch, my feet had kicked the blanket so that it drooped down the floor and I faintly became aware of my phone buzzing on the arm of the couch, right next to where my head had been. I looked up at Alec who was standing over me in a red hooded tee shirt and black shorts. His blonde hair was pulled back with a bandana.
"Alec...what...what are you doing here?" I reached out for my buzzing phone and realised it was 4:32. Shit. I also had 4 missed calls from mum. Completely forgetting about the silent teenage boy in my lounge room I rushed to my drawer and changed into shorts and a tee, not even caring if I looked at all stylish. I was grateful when I saw Alec by the front door as I had forgotten to shut my bedroom door and well, most teenage boys I knew would have taken advantage of that to get a sneak peek.
"You can explain to me...well somehow why you're here but I'm late picking my sister up." He followed me down the driveway and out onto the street. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I saw mums name on the screen.
"Mum, I'm sorry" I apologised quickly "I fell asleep..."
"It's ok" mum said sternly "Right now we have other things we need to worry about."
"Like?"
"Like the fact that Alec is missing and Ana is frantic."
"Well that I can resolve as he is here with me" I flipped my head around just to make sure he was following me and he was, his hood covering his blonde hair and his long legs walking quickly to catch up with my pace.
"With you? What? Ok, explain later. The other thing is about the Hendersons." I winced at the name of Ivy's murderers "What...about...them?" I stopped dead in my tracks and Alec walked out in front of me and turned, raising his eyebrows at me. Mum didn't answer straight away but I did hear her take a deep breath.
"Mum..."
"They're, they're being released Honour."
My legs gave way and I barely noticed the arms wrapping around my waist.

This book has 8 comments. Post your own now!

turntechGodhead said...
this is actually very good, tbh i expected that it would be some bad story about some weird thing or whatever. its well written and had a lot of very descriptive words, which painted an image in my mind

amandamorris said...
I really love your choice of vocabulary!! pls check out my first story and comment on it, nobody has read it yet :{ !! I also love how brave you are to write that type of story!

JeepHer said...
I LOVE THIS STORY! I am only in chapter 5 , but I'm hooked, keep up the AMAZING work! :)

GabbyHernandez2 said...
Nov. 4, 2015 at 10:11 am
“Honour has DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) as a result of witnessing her friends murder. She developed two new personalities however one became over protective and aggressive so Honour wished her away, and strangely the third personality disappeared.” I enjoyed reading this and liked the way you used a lot of descriptive words to make the story more fascinating.

amandamorris replied...
yes I definitely agree with you. she uses words to make it more realistic, and alive!

Jassie said...
Oct. 6, 2014 at 3:22 am
Very impressed. Just finished chapter four and looking foward to reading the rest and seeing where this story is going. Good use of descriptive terminology.

real_saxman said...
No major problems I can see. You have great description, dialogue and plot. The only thing I would reccomend is adding commas to the end of your dialogue. It's a very minor fix.

maddeeilea said...
Jul. 22, 2014 at 6:31 am
Finally commenting!! aha. I seriously love this! Psychology and mental disorders have always been something i found facinating and i love the way you portray it in this!  the fourth chapter was a bit confusing at first, but i soon got the hang of it and figured it out :D  let me know when the next chapter is up!! xx