The Third Person

Author's note: I've always had an interest in both physical and mental disorders, but mostly mental and...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

I've always had an interest in both physical and mental disorders, but mostly mental and especially Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). The boy, Alec is loosely based off a friend of mine and Honour is a very complex girl and I enjoy writing about complex people

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences
 « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next »

four

When I opened my eyes, I wasn't in my bed, I was drowning. My breath had left me and my mouth was filled with water and soaking wet pink hair. My vision was blurred and I had a jabbing pain in my neck. A corner of my mind recognised a loud banging and I heard voices shouting. I struggled, trying to remove myself from whatever water I was under and it took a few seconds before my shoulders were yanked backwards and I collapsed, hitting hard ground with my back and coughing violently.
"Honour! Honour!" a voice cried out "Shit, someone get a doctor quick!"
"What the f is happening in here?"
"Get a doctor, Mimi! Now!"

"Honour, can you hear me?" a bright light pierced me as my eyes struggled to make their way open. My eyelids fluttered, trying to get use to the blinding glow. My sight slowly came to me and I saw a man with glasses peering over my face with a torch. My face was itchy and my throat tight. When I became fully conscious the tightness in my throat worsened and I coughed to get rid of the water that was swimming about inside of me. The man with the glasses lowered the light and smiled at me "Can you sit up?" he asked. It took almost all the strength in my arms as I used my elbow to force myself slowly upright. I coughed again and after a few splutters I could feel more air coming through to my lungs.
"Where am I?" I asked, not recognising the white walled room filled only with a bed opposite a table and chair. I barely noticed the person sitting on the chair.
"You're in one of the psychiatric wards." glasses man informed me. He nodded over to the person sitting at the colourless table "Miss Howard here was kind enough to lend us her room for you to recover." I looked over at Mimi, who looked bored and tired.
"I'm in..the wards?" I let my eyes wander the constant no colour of the room and wondered how anyone could stay here, it looked stale and felt like a scientists lab "I'm not crazy, am I?"
"And I am?" at first Mimi looked genuinely offended, but her following smile proved that not to be
"Why were you here?" the doctor asked. In a friendly, concerned tone "I believe you are supposed to be at school right now." He sat at the end of the bed, pushing my legs to one side and kept smiling at me.
"I-I don't know" I stammered "Last thing I remember is I went to sleep in my bed?"
"And what day was that, Miss Grant?" Mimi moved her hands to a position as if she was writing down notes. Her right hand was flat like a notepad and her left hand was positioned to hold a pen..
"Miss Howard, I'd appreciate it if you could stay quiet and let me do my job"
"But I told you!" Mimi threw her hands up in the air in exasperation "She has some weird disorder where her body is taken over by aliens that erase her memory" she had a an excited but somewhat evil look o her face. The doctor shook his head but I could tell he was trying not to smile
"Aliens? Is that so?" he asked me
"She's referring to my Dissociative Identity Disorder"
"Ah, now that makes more sense." Mimi's excitement had faded "You ruin all the fun Honour", We ignored her. "How many other personalities do you have?" the doctor asked "Not including you."
"Just one."
"Ok. Tell me some things about him or her."
"Um, ok." I said "but, in all honesty, you're better off asking someone else, someone who's actually met her." We both turned to Mimi who let out an exasperated "fine".

Mimi described Emory in such detail that I could picture a whole separate person in my mind. She explained the Emory was about her age, very optimistic but with almost no sense of humour, extremely smart with a love for books, kind and compassionate and selfless. While many would view this as a lovely person, Mimi's tone suggested she found Emory rather boring. While we looked the same; same pink hair and brown eyes, we dressed completely different. Em was a bit more girly and liked to wear dresses and jewellery. She also hated the look of my nose piercing and always took it out. The easiest way to tell which one of us it is, is whether the nose stud is in.
"Sounds like a lovely person." the doctor said when Mimi had finished.
"More like boring. I prefer Honour." she winked at me
"Thanks." I wasn't sure whether to take Mimi liking me as a good or bad thing
"I still would like to know why you or Emory came to the wards when you are supposed to be at school." he went from friendly to serious mode in a split second "Does Emory usually wag school?"
"No. Well, not that I know of."
"What's the trigger?"
"Trigger? Oh, um, I don't know, it's almost always when I'm asleep." He nodded "That's interesting. Well there's not much we can do at the moment, I'm sure Mimi would like her ward back."
"Actually no I'd really like to leave my ward." We both ignored he again "Do you still feel like you have water in your lungs?"
"No I think it's all gone."
"Excellent, so we don't have to go to the hospital."

Walking through the halls of the Psychiatric Centre aka "The wards" always made me feel nervous. There were very few dangerous patients, and the ones that imposed a threat were under strict supervision and confinement, but it was always a little queasy coming here. Unlike Happy Horizons next door, there was little colour and far less life. Some patients were simply on detention like Mimi but others were either short term or long term residents. The walls were white When the Doctor and I reached reception, I noticed the nurse attending straight away, and the queasiness multiplied. She was a small lady with a short sleeved tee shirt that did nothing to hide the massive scar running down her arm. She smiled when she saw me and I forced a smile back, trying not to look at the damage on her arm, a damage I know for a fact was caused by a patient. She continued to watch me, her blue eyes darting from the computer screen to my face. Stop looking at me! I wanted to scream, but I stayed silent as the doctor signed me out.

Mum was angrily huffing and puffing on the phone when I walked into the DCU, accompanied by the ward doctor. She was straining herself from tears and her cheeks were going red.
"I don't know!" she shouted "That's why I'm calling! If I knew where she goddamn was, would I be calling you asking to help find her? No I wouldn't!" I recognised Anastasia, who was enjoying the drama as she sat in her wheelchair, reading a book and pretending not to listen to mum. Sitting cross legged next to her chair, was a blonde haired boy around my age who was scribbling something in a textbook. The boy looked somewhat familiar but i couldn't see his face and therefore I couldn't put a name to him. The doctor slowly walked over to my fuming mother and tapped her shoulder, she turned, ready to strike her interrupter but then her eyes widened when she saw me
"It's ok, she's here.". My mother hung up her phone and launched into an impressive speech, that at first confused me.
"Look , I may no be your mother but as long as you look like my daughter, you will live my daughters life and go to school on Monday through to Friday. Is that clear?" It took me a minute to realise she thought i was Emory.
"Mum, it's me. I am your daughter."
"Oh, well that speech was pointless then, what happened? where have you been? How long have you been you?" I didn't have to explain what happened in the wards bathroom as the doctor did it for me. He explained that one of the security patients had been released from her ward and attempted to drown me because she thought I was her abusive sister.
"She asked to go to the bathroom and was supposed to be accompanied by a nurse, but when Mimi got there, there was no nurse."
"Mimi?" she genuinely looked confused "Why is she-oh right I put her in detention, so many things so many mind." she checked her watch "Oh right Alec, it's time for speech therapy, Honour would you mind taking him?"
"Um ok, but uh, who's Alec?" I looked around and noticed Anastasia now had her hand on the head of the teenage boy, he looked up at her as she explained that it was time for his speech therapy. She then turned to me and smiled. "And this is Honour, she's Dr. Grants daughter." Alec didn't look at me, but he got to his feet and shuffled towards the door.
"Honour" mum said to me as i started to follow him "Be nice, Talk to him." That proved to be difficult. I walked slowly next to Alec who swayed nervously side to side, his sketch book against his legs. Just as we got to the therapy rooms, I realised why he looked familiar. He was the boy from the stairs whom I ran into the other day.
"Hey, I'm sorry for knocking you, you know, on the stairs, at school, on Monday." he didn't reply in anyway, no words, no nodding, not even looking at me. It was like he hadn't heard me.
"So you're Anastasia's nephew, right?" we entered speech therapy and I was welcomed by about six teenagers who all sat shy in plastic chairs along with Mr Whitney, who was sitting in the middle of the circle.
"Mr Whitney?"
"Oh hi Honour, thank you for accompanying Alec. I saved a seat for you my man." Alec took an empty seat next to a small girl, who looked about eight. I proceeded to exit but my psychology teacher stopped me
"Why don't you stay?" he asked "Observe. Learn. This could be of real interest for someone whose interested in psychology." I stood for a second. I didn't really have anything to do, i was only at the centre to let mum know I was safe. I decided to take a chair from the side of the room and place between Mr Whitney and Alec.
"Ok group. Now that everyone is here, let's begin."

There was one thing I noticed very quickly whilst leaning back against the plastic chair, Alec and I were easily the oldest ones there. Except for Mr Whitney-or John as the kids called him. And when I say kids, I mean kids. The girl next to Alec wouldn't have been any older than eight. They all seemed to be between the ages of seven and ten.
"Oh right!" Mr Whitney cheered "Who wants to play frog hop?" he pulled out a number of plastic pockets from his bag, each had a name on it and what looked like large flash cards inside. The girl next to Alec stood up and walked toward Mr Whitney with a smile on her face
"Ah, I had a feeling you'd be the first Sherri" he gestured towards the bags "go on, find yours". Sherri, who was adorable in a blue dress and curly blonde hair kneeled down near the bags and ruffled trough them before picking one up that had her name and a butterfly sticker on it. She turned and gave it to Mr Whitney who opened the pocket and laid six cards in a straight line. The closest ne to me said "bunny" and another one looked to say "dad". Mr Whitney took Sherri's hand and led the little girl to stand just in front of me. She turned and smiled at me. I smiled back. When Mr Whitney let go of Sherri's hand, she quickly lowered herself into a crouch. I at first thought she must have fallen but she stayed in that position, facing the line of cards.
"When I say three, Sherri, you jump." Sherri turned and nodded her little head
"Ok. One. Two. Three." Sherri leaped onto the first card and then lowered her head to read it, in only a few seconds she turned to Mr Whitney and in a squeaky little voice she said excitedly "Bunny!"
"That's right! Good girl!" She quickly leaped to the next one and said "dad!" She did this three more times with three different words. Her speech to me seemed like it didn't have any problem whatsoever, until she reached the last card. She faltered there. I couldn't see what the word was but she did manage to get out a "k" sound. After about three minutes or so she gave up on her crouching position and fell to the floor on her bottom.
"It's ok Sherri." Mr Whitney walked over to help him up "You'll get it one day." Her cheery smile had disappeared and she looked glum as she sat back in her chair. The next few children who had their turns at frog hop weren't quite as eager as Sherri and were far less fluent. During the go of the fourth child i noticed Alec reaching under his seat for his scrapbook, Mr Whitney's pupils flew from the boy hopping to the boy next to me
"Honour, can you please take Alec's scrapbook for me?" confused pulled the book out of his grasp with some resistance. Alec looked suddenly angry but it faded quickly and began to watch his hands
"If he wants it back, he'll have to ask for it in some way, even if he gestures that's ok." I knew Alec wanted his scrapbook but to my surprise he never did ask for it, i watched him eyeing it every now and then but he never asked for it in any way. After the last frog hop round, Mr Whitney bought out one of the most basic picture books I'd ever seen. Each child had a turn at reading out loud and most did so quite well. There were struggles of course but the only one who didn't speak at all was Alec. When Mr Whitney gave permission, all the children stood up and left except for Alec, who stood but stayed put. Mr Whitney smiled at him "Would you like you scrap book?" I was holding the book in my arms and started to give it to him but Mr Whitney held out his hand in a stop motion
"Can you ask for it?" he said. We stood there for a few minutes as Alec would look around the room but mostly at the book in my arms "Come on mate, you can do it. Just point." Another minute of a silence form Alec and encouraging smile from Mr Whitney passed before Alec looked at me and then his shoes, he raised his right hand with his pointer finger aimed at the sketchbook
"Good job, kiddo. You can give him the book now." I smiled at Alec and placed the book in his hand. He barely looked at me for a second before escaping out the door.

This book has 8 comments. Post your own now!

turntechGodhead said...
this is actually very good, tbh i expected that it would be some bad story about some weird thing or whatever. its well written and had a lot of very descriptive words, which painted an image in my mind

amandamorris said...
I really love your choice of vocabulary!! pls check out my first story and comment on it, nobody has read it yet :{ !! I also love how brave you are to write that type of story!

JeepHer said...
I LOVE THIS STORY! I am only in chapter 5 , but I'm hooked, keep up the AMAZING work! :)

GabbyHernandez2 said...
Nov. 4, 2015 at 10:11 am
“Honour has DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) as a result of witnessing her friends murder. She developed two new personalities however one became over protective and aggressive so Honour wished her away, and strangely the third personality disappeared.” I enjoyed reading this and liked the way you used a lot of descriptive words to make the story more fascinating.

amandamorris replied...
yes I definitely agree with you. she uses words to make it more realistic, and alive!

Jassie said...
Oct. 6, 2014 at 3:22 am
Very impressed. Just finished chapter four and looking foward to reading the rest and seeing where this story is going. Good use of descriptive terminology.

real_saxman said...
No major problems I can see. You have great description, dialogue and plot. The only thing I would reccomend is adding commas to the end of your dialogue. It's a very minor fix.

maddeeilea said...
Jul. 22, 2014 at 6:31 am
Finally commenting!! aha. I seriously love this! Psychology and mental disorders have always been something i found facinating and i love the way you portray it in this!  the fourth chapter was a bit confusing at first, but i soon got the hang of it and figured it out :D  let me know when the next chapter is up!! xx