The Third Person

Author's note: I've always had an interest in both physical and mental disorders, but mostly mental and...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

I've always had an interest in both physical and mental disorders, but mostly mental and especially Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). The boy, Alec is loosely based off a friend of mine and Honour is a very complex girl and I enjoy writing about complex people

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences
 « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

Two

“Stop shoving!”
“Oi! Move your bloody bag!”
“Piss off you creep!” the town bus was alive with noise as the few adults sat tense, controlling their anger and impatience with the rowdy students of Crystal Creek High. The limited space was full of blue and white checkers as over thirty school girls gossiped, laughed and shouted. By the time I’d paid the bus fare and clasped one of the overhead handles I’d heard at least five different insults. The words “slut” and “douche bag” were the most common ever heard on the town bus. Colt Taylor, a brown haired daredevil in my year was treating the bus as an exercise gym as he used the railing to do chin-ups.
“100, 101, 102.”
“Shutup Colt you’ve done like five.” Colt’s sister Kace was one of the lucky ones who had managed to get a seat. Kace Taylor was one of the few people I liked. She was quirky and sweet and was famous for her dislike towards footwear. Even now, on a public bus she let her bare feet skim the ground, her school sandals swinging in her hands. Colt paid no attention to his sister and persisted to exaggerate his strength. The green lawns of Crystal Park rolled past as the bus made its way to Main Street. There were a few stops on the way and after the third stop I managed to find an empty seat. I quickly sat down before anyone else could, including Colt, who glared at me.
“What does a guy have to do to get a seat around here?” he shook his head then looked at the person next to me
“Oi stoner! Give me ya seat!” I turned to see that the person sitting next to me was Nelly, whose cracked lips were turned down into a frown as she stared at her feet.
“Hey smoker girl! I’m talking to you!” Nelly was about to stand up but I put my arm out to stop her
“Don’t, Nel. If you give him the seat he’ll just think you’re weak and it will give him more of a reason to be an ass.” Her eyes widened a little and I suspected she hadn’t noticed me when I sat down, probably too busy thinking about when she could have her next cigarette since it was illegal to have them on the bus. She sat back against the seat and Colts eyes narrowed.
“Fine. Whatever.” Colt looked over at Kace
“Oi Kace! Wanna give me your seat?”
“Not on your life, dickhead!” Nelly smiled at me “Thanks” she said softly. Her teeth, like her skin had a yellow tinge to them and I tried not to watch at her mouth as she spoke. Some heavy tobacco users did manage to either delay or prevent the cosmetic effects of smoking, but not Nelly. Her hair was pretty though, brown thick locks that fell over her shoulders in curls.
“How are you?” I asked, trying to erase the awkwardness between us. I used to be good friends with her, we’d skip class and go down to the oval where we’d share her sparkly lighter to light our smokes and she’d tell me how in love with Chris she was and I’d tell her funny stories about the patients at Happy Horizons. I’d call her Nel, and she, being more creative than I, would nickname me to whatever colour hair I had at the time. Red had been “fire girl”, green was “grasshopper”, purple was “princess” and blonde had been “Baby Doll”. When mum found out I had started smoking and forced me into support groups, I’d been banned from spending time with Nelly, Chris and the rest of the smoker gang, still I disobeyed. However, Chris started flirting with and a spark of envy had ignited in Nelly. I didn’t and still don’t see what she sees in him and I always brushed off his pick up lines and “romantic” gestures like they meat nothing, which to me, they did. But to Nelly it obviously did because our friendship had become fragile. One day at school she confronted me and asked if i ked him. I told her the truth but she didn’t believe me. Like a typical Nelly would, she broke down in tears and called me a liar, telling me I was a fake friend. She started accusing me of only wanting him to torture her because I knew how she felt about him.
“Why would I want to torture you?” I shouted “You’re my friend!” She never answered that question, just sort of stormed off and we barely spoke again.
“I-I’m good.” she shrugged, not looking me in the eye “Where are you going?”
“The Centre. You?”
“Home”
“Don’t you live close to school?” I asked, remembering the days walking to her house in a cloud of happiness.
“New foster parents.” She spoke quietly “my old ones couldn’t handle me anymore”.
“Oh. I see.” Nelly’s old foster parents had been nice. They had taken to her tobacco use better than my parents had but they did lack the ability to be strict. She had had two younger foster brothers around nine or ten who were real pains in the ass and coping with naughty preteen boys and a moody, tobacco abusing teenage girl had to be difficult when you didn’t see screaming at kids as a reasonable punishment. When my little sister Gracie was naughty, shed lose her music player or E-reader for up to a week and if she sulked or argued, there would be added time. For me, my parents had tried grounding me when I was young but as I got older they decided I had some sort of psychological illness and I would be forced o go through support group sessions at the centre. When I was younger I would have memory blanks and lose whole days, my parents also noticed me acting strangely and started to become sort of dethatched. I also started to call myself Emory. At the age of eight, six months after Ivy’s death, I was diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder. Turns out Emory was a whole other personality my mind had created to help me escape what I saw on the night of Ivy’s death. A night I can barely remember. Emory didn’t turn out to be much of a problem, however, someone else did.

Happy horizons overdid happy to an extreme. It was like an artist had got a white building and thrown a whole bunch of rainbows on it. There was colour everywhere. Someone could get dizzy not knowing where to look. It was the largest building in Crystal Creek as it had many functions. It was a day-care centre, a counselling office, a disability care unit, a mental issue care unit, a recreation centre, youth service centre and a local house. It also had strong connections with the local primary school, high school and TAFE. There were many volunteers and paid workers around and the place was always populated. It was hard to believe my mother owned it. It was four storeys of colour splatter and smiles. Out the back was an oval, a tennis court, a playground and a basketball court. Mum not only owned this place, but she also worked in a lot of the areas, mostly the disability care unit. The DCU (Disability Care Unit) consisted of therapies, educational programs and general care for anyone with a moderate or severe disability. It was also a chance for them to socialise with people who understood that their life’s enjoyment was limited. Most of the patients didn’t live in the housing floor of the centre but a couple did. I made my way to the Disability Care Unit where my mum was speaking to an older woman in a wheelchair.
The DCU was on the bottom floor as it was difficult for some of the patients to get upstairs; a woman in a wheelchair was a perfect example. We had an elevator but mum was persistent that it was easier to just to keep them downstairs with the day-care. On the second floor was counselling and mental patient care. Third floor was youth centre and recreation area and the fourth floor was the housing. This was mostly for homeless teens that had run away from the city or other suburbs but there were locals living there to. Crystal creek was a home for runaways as we were a very welcoming and caring community. A budget went in every year for the outsiders who came in, and surprisingly, the city council and government were rather generous in helping with funds. Sometimes the teens were legally adopted as it was easier than the process of getting out and into the city to have a baby at the hospital. It wasn’t just the drive. Getting in Crystal Creek wasn’t very hard, but getting out was difficult. You also had to go through a test to ensure you were parent material and if you weren’t, no baby. That didn’t make it impossible to adopt though.
Mum looked up when I came in and she smiled “Honour! Come meet Anastasia! She’s a new patient.” Anastasia looked somewhere around forty to forty five with long blonde hair twisted into a bun, she looked a little bit overweight but she was still quite pretty. She wore jeans with a long flowing white blouse that had a thin see through material, underneath looked to be a white long sleeve shirt and she had a silver chain that dangled a heart at the end.
“Hello Anastasia” I smiled at her and extended my hand. She seemed to study me for a minute before extending her hand slowly and at the same speed, her mouth widened into a smile.
“Hello honey, what’s your name?” she spoke slowly as well, making it easy to emphasise each syllable
“I’m Honour, Rosas’ daughter”. With a confused look on her face, Anastasia turned to face my mum
“I thought you said your daughter’s name was Gracie.”
“That’s my younger daughter” mum replied cheerfully “I have two girls.”
“Do you have any children, Anastasia?”
“No I don’t actually. Well not any of my own, but my nephew lives with me, he’d be about your age. Goes to the local high school”
“Oh, what’s his name?”
“Alec”. I didn’t know anyone named Alec which mean he was either an extreme wallflower or new. New kids were quite rare, in face extremely rare. I could honestly say I’ve known at least 98% of the students at my school since kindergarten.
“Are you and your nephew new to town?” I asked
“Yes. You see Alec was held in custody in the city and I-“ but before she could finish the doors to the unit were burst open and a man in tears ran in screaming “There’s a killer! Doctor Grant help theres a killer upstairs!”

This book has 8 comments. Post your own now!

turntechGodhead said...
this is actually very good, tbh i expected that it would be some bad story about some weird thing or whatever. its well written and had a lot of very descriptive words, which painted an image in my mind

amandamorris said...
I really love your choice of vocabulary!! pls check out my first story and comment on it, nobody has read it yet :{ !! I also love how brave you are to write that type of story!

JeepHer said...
I LOVE THIS STORY! I am only in chapter 5 , but I'm hooked, keep up the AMAZING work! :)

GabbyHernandez2 said...
Nov. 4, 2015 at 10:11 am
“Honour has DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) as a result of witnessing her friends murder. She developed two new personalities however one became over protective and aggressive so Honour wished her away, and strangely the third personality disappeared.” I enjoyed reading this and liked the way you used a lot of descriptive words to make the story more fascinating.

amandamorris replied...
yes I definitely agree with you. she uses words to make it more realistic, and alive!

Jassie said...
Oct. 6, 2014 at 3:22 am
Very impressed. Just finished chapter four and looking foward to reading the rest and seeing where this story is going. Good use of descriptive terminology.

real_saxman said...
No major problems I can see. You have great description, dialogue and plot. The only thing I would reccomend is adding commas to the end of your dialogue. It's a very minor fix.

maddeeilea said...
Jul. 22, 2014 at 6:31 am
Finally commenting!! aha. I seriously love this! Psychology and mental disorders have always been something i found facinating and i love the way you portray it in this!  the fourth chapter was a bit confusing at first, but i soon got the hang of it and figured it out :D  let me know when the next chapter is up!! xx