A Spark In The Stars | Teen Ink

A Spark In The Stars

By BringMeThePiercedSiren PLATINUM, Fairfax, Virginia
BringMeThePiercedSiren PLATINUM, Fairfax, Virginia

"There's nothing like a sore stomach from laughing for all the right reasons."-Perks of Being a Wallflower

Author's note: I've read lots of dystopian novels. There was lots of research involved to create the story of Logan and Genesis, and I thank the people who helped me bring them to life. I hope that readers can find strength and bravery from this story.

Logan leaned forward and scrubbed the clay off of his hands. I watched as the chunky clumps fell to the grass.

“Happy birthday, Genesis.” He muttered to me, handing me a small clay pot. It was my 14th birthday. Technically, here in the Blue District, and the rest of the territories, we aren’t supposed to celebrate birthdays. Nobody told me why. We all assumed that it was so it wouldn’t cause a ruckus, but I couldn’t see why. In the Gray Age, people had parties all the time.

The Gray Age is what the Govs call the period of time when our country was called the United States of America. Back then, there was war all the time. Violence overtook cities, and some people even lived on the streets. After the bombing, things were changed. For the “better”, or so the Govs say so. That’s all they’ll tell us about the Gray Age. This is the reason that we can’t watch old films that were made in the 2000s; the Govs don’t want to remind us. A few black market places have some Gray artifacts. Movies, music tapes, that kind of stuff. I hardly go in there; my parents are dead, killed by the Govs for a crime I’m not allowed to know. The Govs keep watch on me, to make sure I don’t try anything stupid.

The Communistic Territories of New America don’t have jails or prisons. We’ve got Minorities and Anomalies. A Minority is a classification for small crimes that really don’t matter. If you earn a Minority, then you have to wear a mask for a year that signifies your crime. If you’re charged with an Anomaly, they give you the death penalty. The Govs never run out of creative ways to slay their citizens. The Govs say it’s to keep our country in order. Logan and I say it’s to terrorize us into silence.

Logan’s 14, too, but he’s a grade above me. He doesn’t look his age; people think he’s thirteen or twelve. He’s got wavy brown hair and bright green eyes. He isn’t at all like the other boys in the ninth grade. Most of them are obsessed with athletics and girls. Logan likes to sing. He’s funny and loud; two qualities that the Govs want to squash. One time, we were reading about what the Gray age was like and the book mentioned a form of entertainment called “theatre”. For an entire week, Logan wouldn’t shut up about it. He went on and on about how the government should re-introduce theatre to New America. Then he got his hands on a black-market play tape called “West Side Story”. He went around screaming, “I want to be in America, everything’s free in America!” For as long as I could remember.

“I’m going down to the city to get you a proper gift.” He announced. I gasped. Logan couldn’t. If the Govs caught him, we’d both be dead. Breaking the Birthday law was an Anomaly.

“Don’t. It’s too risky.” I begged. Logan grinned.

“It’s too risky.” He mimicked. “Please, Genesis. I’ve done enough things to earn me a million Anomalies. Besides, who would suspect a cute little nobody like me?” I laughed. We sat on the hill staring across at the city. He stole a glance at me. “You look like those Japanese princesses we saw in the textbook.”

“You think?”

“Yeah.” He turned bright red. We were quiet until I turned to look at him.

“Why don’t you ever talk about girls you like?” I asked him quietly. Logan wouldn’t look at me.

“I don’t talk about other girls.” He whispered. “Just you.” I swallowed, my face growing hot. I can’t pretend I’d never thought about Logan. He was so nice to me…and nobody else was. But it never crossed my mind that he would have feelings about me.

“You don’t have to go to town to get something for me. It’s against the law. Too dangerous.” I broke the silence. Logan dropped his gaze and threw a rock over the hill.

“You deserve much more than some stupid rock-stale cake and a move-up in the system.” He grumbled. I had to smile. As brash and impulsive as Logan was, he had a way of caring for people that I’d never seen in anyone else.

Meadow larks chirped in the distance. I envied them; able to roam free and unworried, while the rest of us had to struggle to make ends meet.

Technically, I didn’t have to do anything since I was only fourteen, but both my parents were dead. So who had to take over both of their roles? I did. I had to cook the food, clean the shack, buy the clothes, and hunt the deer. I was all alone, except for Logan and Pasiphae. Pasiphae’s a Gov, but she isn’t like the others. She’s young; about twenty or so, and barely gives anyone a Minority. I’d never seen her perform an Anomaly kill. Pasiphae’s the one who tipped me and Logan off about the black market video tapes of the Gray Age.

Logan’s face was as bright as an apple. I’d always thought that he was the kind of person who joked around and went off being stupid. I never knew that he would be so-so feeling.

“Has anyone ever kissed you?” He asked me. I blushed again. My heart rate went up by a thousand beats. I didn’t know how I would react if he kissed me. Logan was vulnerable right now. He never acted vulnerable.

“N-no,” I stammered, “I mean, look at me. Why would-“ He lunged forward and kissed me so suddenly that I didn’t have time to react. His face was warm, and I could feel him breathing rapidly. I didn’t pull away; partly because he was warm and the heat felt good in the cold wind, and partly because I liked Logan. Before, he had been my best friend. Now, we were two awkward fourteen-year olds sitting on a hill and trying to kiss.

Finally, we stepped back.

“I won’t head into town if you don’t want me to.” Logan said, standing up and brushing off his jeans. I sighed in relief.

“Thank you, Logan.” I hugged him.

“Happy birthday. See you soon.”

I went to the bakery that evening with my small pouch of coins. The scent of warm rolls teased and taunted me; obviously, I’d never be able to afford rolls, but I was hoping to buy a small piece of sourdough to treat myself for my birthday.

Clarke May, the baker, stood behind the counter, eyeing me warily.

“I don’t need no street scat comin’ into my store.” He growled, furrowing his bushy eyebrows. I ignored Clarke’s insult and set my pouch on the counter.

“One sourdough loaf.” I ordered, refusing to meet his eyes. Clarke’s a well-known moocher. He’ll do anything to get money, even if it means keeping customers out of his shop to save the good loaves for his “real” customers. To him, kids like me are just unneeded beggars.

“I ain’t taking your money, hood.” Clarke declared. He spun his metal handgun on the counter, as if he were threatening me. I was starting to get angry. Just because I wasn’t the same class as him didn’t mean that he got to step all over me.

“I have enough to buy a loaf. Give me what I’m paying for or I’ll call the Govs.” I raised my voice. Clarke snickered and tossed my money back to me.

“Oh, you’ll call the Govs?” Mock concern crossed his hideous face. “Let me tell you something, scum. The Govs don’t care about good-for-nothings like you. You call them in here, and-“ Suddenly, Clarke stopped talking. It seemed as if he was looking at something going on right behind me.

“What?” I demanded.

“Son of a mother!” He exclaimed, slamming his meaty fist on the glass counter, ignoring me. “What does that kid think he’s doin’?” He grabbed his gun and started to speed-walk. I whirled around and followed Clarke out of the shop, and immediately saw what he was looking at.

In the middle of the town square, chaos stirred. A group of Govs in black bullet-proof suits were tackling someone; and whoever they were on top of, he was really fighting back.

Crowds gathered to watch the scene.

“Pin him down! Pin him down!” The lead Gov screamed to his comrades. The boy popped out of the hustle and started to run. Blood poured down his face and he stumbled. It took me a while to realize who it was, but when I did, I started to scream.

It was Logan. Immediately, I was overcome with confusion, anger, and fear. What had he done this time? He was bleeding so bad…he could barely run.

“Run, Logan!” I shrieked. The Govs gained on him. Tears streamed down my face. If they caught him, they’d kill him. Or worse. I would not let that happen to my best friend. I tried to reach out and run towards him, but Clarke shot a fat arm out and blocked me.

“Stay back, hood. Unless you want to get jumped, too.” He commanded. I bit him, hard, and felt the taste of iron rush over my tongue. Clarke howled in pain, and I used that moment to dash towards Logan.

All that went through my mind was the blood on his face and how I’d never seen Logan this way. I wasn’t going to let him get hurt; not after he kissed me. A tall, buff Gov grabbed me and slammed his metal fist glove into my jaw. I heard people gasp as I crumpled to the ground. My mouth throbbed; black spots danced before my eyes. I struggled to stand up. I could feel something warm trickling down my chin.

“You leave this to us.” Said the Gov. Shaking, I stood up.

“Don’t touch Genesis!” Logan screamed. The Govs instantly turned away from me and lunged at him, but Logan jumped out of the way. I realized that he needed a distraction. I had to get their attention away from Logan.

“You leave my friend alone!” I cried, wiping the blood from my face. The muscular Gov snarled and whipped out his hand gun. I eyed the weapon with cold fear. In a second, he could pull the trigger and slaughter me in front of my entire territory.

“Logan Stoller is a delinquent thief,” He snapped, “With what he’s stolen, he’s earned an Anomaly that deserves him the death penalty. And if you don’t stay out of this, you’ll be right in his boat!” I paused. What had he done? What could Logan, a poor fourteen year old boy, possibly do to get the Govs this riled up? And Govs never publicly executed or beat their prisoners/suspects. It wasn’t good for the public image.

I lowered my eyes. I couldn’t win. I stared ahead of me; Logan was gone.

“Go.” The Gov commanded. “I’ll let you go.” I sprinted all the way home, pushing through the crowds of people who stared after me.

I sat in the front room of my shack, rubbing ice on my cheek to ease the pain. I still couldn’t believe that Logan had run away. And what crime had he committed? He stole something. Nothing was valuable enough in Blue district to be stolen.

I tried hard not to focus on Logan. Where was he now? Had the Govs caught him? A terrifying vision of Logan tied up in the town square while the world watched him being shot crossed my mind. Squeezing my eyes shut, I pushed the thought out. They wouldn’t catch him. Logan was a fast runner; and although he was brash and impulsive, nobody could mistake him. He was smart and cunning. He knew how to survive in the wild.

Would I see him again? I couldn’t decide.

There was a knock on the door. Who would be calling at this hour? It was near midnight. Curfew was in effect; we were all supposed to be in our houses.

“This is the Communist Government of The Territories of New America.” A stern voice called to me. “Open this door or you will automatically earn a Minority.” I set down my ice pack and opened the door.

A chilling woman stood before me. She was strikingly beautiful in a cruel, cold way. Her white hair floated to her shoulders, and she wore a cream-colored gown. She smiled without friendliness at me. Instantly, I recognized her from the television specials. She was Circe, the lead Gov/Dictator of New America. Circe was one of the most harsh Dictators known in New American history.

“Genesis Kemple,” Circe greeted, inviting herself inside, “I’ve heard so much about you in the past twenty-four hours.” The way she regarded me told me that the news wasn’t good. Circe scared me; but also gave me a feeling of hate and abhor. She was intruding on my home.

Circe sat on the most uncomfortable wooden chair in the room.

“It’s very late, Govern Circe.” I managed, politely, “How can I assist you at this hour?” Circe crossed her thin legs and narrowed her eyes.

“Govern Mathias tells me that you were a bit of trouble this afternoon in the square.” She leaned forward. “That you were, ah, quite upset about the arrest of minor Logan Stoller.” I swallowed nervously.

“Yeah, well, Govern Mathias kind of punched me in the face, so I was pretty upset about that.” I laughed, trying to redirect the conversation. Circe smacked her hand on the table angrily. I jumped.

“This is not a humorous matter.” She spat, “Your friend has committed a very serious crime. Now, I can’t tell you what this crime is, but I can reassure you that the consequences are unthinkable.”

“Logan isn’t afraid of death.” I said, crossing my arms. Circe laughed bitterly, throwing her blond head back.

“There are worse things, girl.” Circe sighed, “Once we re-arrest Logan, and we’re through with him, death will be a welcome friend.” A welcome friend. Her words stung my ears. I refused to look into Circe’s black eyes; they reminded me that hope was so little, and she could take it away. “The issue is that we underestimated your friend. He’s fast.”

“He beats all the other boys in his grade at races.” I told her. Circe rolled her eyes.

“We can’t seem to locate him. And I think you know where he is.” I sucked in a breath. I didn’t know where Logan ran to, but Circe would never believe me.

“I don’t.”

She ignored me. “See, the thing is, if you won’t assist us in finding Logan Stoller, things might be just as bad for you. It’s a matter of time. We’ll find him eventually, but if we find him sooner, and with your help, then you can go back and resume your daily life.” There was no way I would help the Govs find Logan. I’d seen what they do to their criminals; our teacher would show video tapes to us in grade school. People burning to death, thrown to starving lions, sliced in half, skinned alive. I can still hear the guttural screams.

I knew that Circe was threatening me. And I knew that she had every power in the galaxy to kill me. A simple flick of her thumb and I could be in the stocks.

“I’ll help you,” I said grimly, “But on the condition that Logan lives.”

“I can’t promise that. But if you assist us, you won’t regret it.” Circe softened. I knew what to do. My heart beat fast. Here I was, sitting next to the most evil woman in the universe. I eyed my kitchen counter discreetly.

“I’ll make you some tea.” I said, monotone. Circle smiled.

“That’s the way I like you.” She told me. I shuffled over to the counter. Just do it. She’s evil. I made sure she wasn’t looking. It was her fault. Everything was.

I pulled the knife from the drawer and shoved it in my bra. I was as quiet as a mouse when I came up behind Circe. She wouldn’t be expecting it. I was scared; but I knew that there was nothing else for me to do. If I helped her find Logan, then I would never be able to live with myself. I didn’t trust Circe; I was sure that even if I did help her, there would be no way in hell that she would spare me. Let’s face it; I publicly humiliated her when the Gov in the square had let me go.

I whipped the knife from my shirt and directed the edge against Circe’s throat. She went still.

“You won’t touch Logan.” I seethed, sweat pouring down my face. Although I couldn’t see her face, I knew somehow that she was smiling.

“Oh, you think you have me,” She laughed coldly, “It’s too amusing.” I paused. Circe was acting too calm. Either she was foolishly challenging or frighteningly calculating.

“Promise you won’t hurt him,” I demanded, “Swear it on your heart. Do it or I’ll slit your throat; right here, right now.” I couldn’t hear Circe breathe. She was probably just like a cold-blooded dead creature; after all, any living thing with a heart could breathe.

“I will not swear on my heart, fool. I don’t have one.” This was true. “However, if you let go of this dagger, which you will, than I will allow you thirty seconds to get your wayward ass out of this dilapidated excuse for a house and run to wherever you choose.”

“That’s a lie, Circe, and you know it.” I said, not flinching. Circe whirled around too quick for me to react, grabbed the knife out of my hand, and aimed it at me. I jumped back.

“One, two, three, four, five…” She started to count. I panicked. Should I fight her? Should I run? “You best start moving along, now, Genesis. I’m not kidding. There are worse things than death.” I made my choice. I slugged her in the eye, kicked her in the stomach, and dashed out of the door.

I could hear her defeated screaming coming from my house even after I’d left my neighborhood block.

I ran and ran, not looking behind me in the dark night. I had to put as much distance between myself and Circe as possible. Once she recovered and realized I was a problem, Circe would call for reinforcements. That’s the scary thing; Govs have the power to do anything. They have no heart. They’ll kill you faster than you could blink. Pasiphae once told me about a Gov that was ordered to execute his own uncle. He had apparently done it without even blinking an eye.

My feet were bare, and I kept tripping over tree roots. There was sharp pain in the sole of my left foot, but I ignored it. A tree branch knocked me in the face and scraped up my cheeks. The forest passed behind me as I slammed into someone.

“Ow!” I cried. I stepped back, squinting through the pitch night. A boy with a bruised face and caramel-colored hair rubbed his face gingerly. I gasped. It was Logan.

“Genesis,” He whispered, “What the knocks are you doing out here?” I laughed. I was so glad to see him that I threw my arms around him and hugged him.

“Oh my god, Logan!” I exclaimed, “I thought you were dead!” Logan grinned, and wiped the blood off of my cheek.

“Well, I’m not. Obviously.” He helped me sit down on a tree stump. Nervously, I searched around to make sure that no Govs or Citizens were watching. This was a terrible idea. If the Govs found us, then we’d be publicly executed.

In all honesty, three weeks ago, I would’ve been thrilled to do some rule-breaking with my best friend. But right here, right now, I was frightened out of my senses. At any moment the authorities could show up and end our short, miserable lives in the pull of a trigger. Logan was my best friend, and I would do anything to protect him, but there was only so much I could do.

“What did you steal anyway?” I whispered, leaning forward. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a box the size of a pudding cup.

“I have something for you.” Logan opened the lid and showed it to me. I drew in a breath. It was a silver chain necklace with something attached to the end; a tiny, glass pendant in the shape of a diamond. It was breathtakingly beautiful. “Open it.” He instructed me.

I flipped the cover on the pendant. Inside was a miniscule gem; a pearl.

“You stole this-for me?” I asked. He smiled.

“Happy birthday.”

“Why did the Govs make such a big deal out of it?” I mean, it was a valuable piece of jewelry, but I’d seen people get in trouble for stealing necklaces. I’d never seen the Govs react to shoplifting the way they’d bludgeoned on Logan.

“It was hidden in a secret place. This is Govern Circe’s pendant; it was made in the Gray Age. It isn’t supposed to be shown to anyone.” He said, as if it were obvious. Suddenly, the necklace felt cold. I was carrying the weight of something far more than a necklace. We were never allowed to have things from the Gray Age. Anything from before 3000 was considered rogue. “The reason it’s so important is because it’s a symbol of rebellion.”

“If they find out-“ Logan shoved a finger to my lips.

“They won’t. We’re running away. I know a place that’s safe for us.” He pleaded. “The Govs won’t hurt us anymore. We can be free, Genesis. We can live like they did in the Gray Age.” It was so tempting. So magical. I stole a glance behind me, back at Blue District.

“I’ll decide in the morning. Let’s go to sleep.” I said quietly. We quickly dug a ditch and shuffled into it, covering ourselves with leaves. I got the sense that Logan was crying. I could feel him trembling next to me. Run away. A free place. Free was not a word that the Govs of New America allowed their patrons to believe in. Anything that could spark an uprising or a rebellion was not permitted. But running away? That was beyond an Anomaly. How could there even possibly be a place free from the Govs? They were everywhere. That’s the thing with people. When we’re afraid of power, we squash it to the ground so it can never come back up again.

We woke up with a start, in the bright morning.

“Come on. There’s something going on.” Logan helped me out of the ditch, brushing leaves off of me.

“They’ll see us.”

“No, we’ll hide.” He reassured me. I heard shouting and jeering coming from a distance. Panic rose in my throat. Were they coming for us? Why were we running to the source of possible death?

Logan and I stood on the edge of the forest, crouching behind bushes. In the middle of the town square, someone was kneeling, tied to a post. Everyone had crowded around the tether, shouting and jeering. An execution. Govs stood around the victim, one of them toting a large axe. I hated this part. They would make our little town square a massacre pit. The Govs always took away what little pleasure we had.

That’s when I realized who the victim tethered to the post was. The torn Gov uniform and stringy red hair was unmistakably Pasiphae Hawthorne. Tears spilled down my face.

“This girl here is a traitor to New America!” The guy with the axe shouted. “She’s a sorry excuse for a Govern. Helping? That’s not what Governs do. We enforce!” The crowd roared in approval. I clamped my hand over my mouth. They were going to kill her. They really were.

“Look away, Genesis.” Logan told me, squeezing my arm. I couldn’t turn away. My eyes were glued to the crowd. “Look away. Don’t watch.” The despaired look on Pasiphae’s face stabbed me in the chest. A flashback of all the times we’d had together, the things she let me get away with, how she stood up for me whenever the other Govs would pick on me. Pasiphae was one of my only friends. And now she was going to be slaughtered in front of me.

It took a while for me to realize that she was staring right at me. Out of a crowd of hundreds of people, Pasiphae had spotted me. Her green eyes were full of pain and lost hope. I wanted to run, but nothing could break me from gaping at my doomed friend. She mouthed something to me: Go.

“Let’s slay this useless child!” The Gov exclaimed. People shouted back in excitement. He rose the axe over Pasiphae’s head. A muffled cry escaped my lips. He swung the blade down, hard, on Pasiphae’s neck. I heard ringing in my ears.

Logan clamped his hand over my mouth so they wouldn’t hear me scream. I crushed my teeth against his hand and felt his blood pour over my lips. He whimpered in pain, but held me close. I wanted to get up and run into the square and scream at everybody, but Logan held me back. Of course. He had chosen this moment to be rational and logical.

I don’t know if he was just as lost and unbelieving as I was. Maybe that’s what he did; blocked out the pain in the moment so he could think. How it was possible, I had no idea. All I knew was that the Government of New America was harsh and didn’t care who’s life they ended, whether they were innocent or guilty.

I wept into Logan’s shoulder, he dug his nails into my shirt, which barely kept me in the present. I wouldn’t look. I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t watch as the Govs retrieved their disgraced comrade’s remains. A memory flashed in my mind. It was one day when Pasiphae was helping me look for a book called To Kill a Mockingbird from the Gray Age. When I asked her why she wouldn’t imprison me, she told me,

“I’m going to change the government. Someday, New America will be free. As long as I’m a Gov, nobody will come after you.” Logan sighed and steered me away from the scene.

“Come on. We have to get out of here before they see us.”

Pasiphae was dead. The world was cruel.

I sat in our makeshift ditch, slowly chewing the pigeon leg from the bird that Logan had pelted out of the sky. I was dry of emotion. There was nothing I could feel or do.

It wasn’t until the sun started to set that I remembered what Logan had said about running away. Technically, we already had, but the place he talked about got me thinking. I needed to go home. Where was home? In the place that my parents left me, a country with no hope or love? Or somewhere else, somewhere that I was free to breathe?

I once read somewhere that during the Gray Age, people could have birthdays and fall in love and speak their mind. I used to think it was crazy that their government would allow them to engage in such useless and rebellious activities, but now, it didn’t sound so ridiculous. A birthday meant birthday cake. A cake meant a candle. A candle burned a single flame; a tiny flicker of hope, that there was something to look forward to. That you hadn’t given yourself away yet.

The Govs were afraid of love. They were scared of feelings. It made so much sense; emotions can be felt so strongly, strong enough to start something, and cause war and battle. Was all war bad? No.

“Where are we running to?” I asked Logan. He stretched his thin arms over his head and stretched back.

“It’s a place called Corolla Island.” An island? How would we even get there? “We’ll have to take a boat. It isn’t far off from the shore, but we’ll need to be careful. Do you still have the pearl?” I pulled the chain on my necklace, showing him the pendant. “Good. We have to get going now.” He took my wrist and we started to walk.

It seemed like hours and hours. We passed through endless amounts of the forest. How would we even get to a beach? Thirst and hunger built up in my throat. We had nothing to eat and nothing to drink.

It was getting darker and colder. My feet stung, and I really wished I had shoes or socks. I stopped several times to pull twigs and rocks out of my ankles and feet. I glanced at Logan every now and then. He seemed older and more serious. He hadn’t cracked a joke in a whole day. What had he been through? Well, I knew that the Govs had beaten the crap out of him. But to think that he stole the country’s most important artifact and gave it to me made me feel both special and guilty.

He could be killed because of me.

We barely talked the entire walk. It took us much longer than I thought, about six or seven hours without rest.

I was about to collapse. Logan had to grab my arms to keep me steady.

“How much longer?” I gasped.

“Not much at all.” He directed my attention to the perplexing sight before me. It was a ghost town. I’d never seen anything like it. The buildings were Gray Age-style. “These are the ruins of a town once called Kitty Hawk.” Little shops dotted a boardwalk area. Obviously, no one had been here in years. There were even some abandoned automobiles lying around. I forgot my hunger and rushed forward to soak in the sights.

One store was called Duck Donuts. I’d had a donut before, once, when Pasiphae had stolen it for me. The thought made my eyes sting.

I imagined how this town would have looked when it was in use. Were the people free? Did they smile and laugh? The corners of my mouth were stiff from lack of smiling.

“We have to leave.” He said. I tore myself away from the shop and followed him down the boardwalk. I nervously toyed with the pendant on my necklace, wondering what Corolla would be like.

We reached the beach. It was deserted and silent, besides the waves lapping against the shore. It was truly one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen; the way the sun basked it’s rays over the gleaming water, the sound of the waves rushing, the damp sand soothing our aching soles. All of my life I’d been deprived of this. It almost made me angry. How could the Govs do this to us? They shoved us away from anything beautiful and forced us into a world of technology and reform. I’d seen pictures of the beaches in textbooks, but no image or description could fit what was before me.

Logan could barely breathe. He slipped his hand into mine and gaped at the sight. I squeezed my eyes shut, and when I reopened them, I spotted a small island-like landform in the middle of the water. I couldn’t see much, but somehow, I knew it was Corolla.

We waded into the ocean water. It was cold, but the temperature helped keep me alert.

“We’re going to have to find something to float there on.” Logan dropped his eyes, searching for something. “Help me.” I immediately let go of his hand and started to look for something, anything that could float and take us to the island.

I dropped onto my hands and knees, sifting through the sand. My hand stopped when I came across something hard.

“I think I found something.” I announced. Logan shuffled over and helped me dig up the object.

I dusted it off. It was a long, plastic-like board in the shape of a stretched-out oval. The paint was peeling and it smelled horrid, but it would have to do.The color was bright blue, like the sky.

“Let’s see if it floats.” I set it on the water tenderly. It bobbed along the surface. We grinned. “Perfect.” We climbed onto the board. It teetered, so Logan had to lie down on his stomach while I sat on the back.

Logan paddled off of the shore. Excitement filled my heart. I looked back as we swam farther and farther away from the beach. Everything I’d ever known was behind me.

Finally, we came to the island. Palm trees decorated the line of the shore. Logan helped me off of the board. A strange noise, music, played in the distance. I could hear joyful shouting coming from somewhere behind the trees.

Logan and I stared around us. A girl in a short skirt darted out of the trees, laughing.

“Haha, you won’t catch me, Chloe!” She kept running, and another girl followed her with a gun. I gasped. If that was how these people had fun, I wanted to turn around and paddle home. The girl, Chloe, pulled a trigger, and I expected a bullet to come and kill the other girl, but instead, a fine stream of water shot out and splashed her. Guns with water, girls with skirts?

Both girls stopped when they saw us.

“Who are you?” Chloe demanded. She had long, black hair and a hard face. She couldn’t have been older than sixteen or seventeen. What would I say?

“We’re from New America.” Said Logan. Chloe crossed her arms.

“Oh. Well, that’s lame.” She said, exchanging glances with her blond friend. I pursed my lips. What were they doing, running around with guns?

“We’ll have to tell Nike.” The blond girl pointed out. Who’s Nike? Logan tapped his foot impatiently on the sand. “Follow us.” I looked back at Logan, who made a gesture like, Go on. Cautiously, we followed after the two girls into the palm trees.

The music got louder. I’ve heard music before, from tapes and CDs, but this was the real deal.

“They call me the princess, and I’ve got influences…” The lyrics blared through speakers. When I saw what Corolla looked like, I almost wanted to shout,

“You’ll get an Anomaly for that, you fool!” But somehow I didn’t. It was captivating. People of all ages, in brightly-colored clothes danced around a city-like neighborhood. Food stands dotted sidewalks. There were even little cafes, were pairs of friends sat and chatted. Almost exactly like the Gray Age.

“Welcome to Corolla Island.” Chloe grinned. Logan’s eyes widened. Her friend smiled at us, but it faded when her eyes fell on my necklace.

“What’s that on your neck?” She asked. I shoved it to the side.

“Nothing.”

“Buzz off, Atlanta.” Chloe told her friend. Atlanta blinked at me. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright,” I reassured her, “Are you even allowed to have music? Out in the open, like this?” Atlanta stared at me like I was from another planet.

“Are you crazy? What, don’t they let you listen to music in New America?” She laughed. I swallowed, feeling stupid. Chloe pinched her.

“God, Atlanta. You don’t know anything. They aren’t allowed to listen to anything from the Gray Age. Or even have artifacts.” She hissed at Atlanta. I’ll be honest, I felt pretty dumb. Like I’d come out of some alienated society, which, of course, I had. I was still in shock. Everything around me was surreal; if this ever happened back on shore at New America, the Govs would pull genocide on every single person.

I wondered why the Govs had never found Corolla. After all, it only took a swim and a hike to get here. Was it a separate country? Hidden somehow, maybe?

Atlanta and Chloe led us up to a large house. It was beautiful; unlike any of the homes in Blue District. The windows reflected the golden sunlight, a doormat lay on the front step. Whoever lived in the house must have been very rich and important.

Atlanta knocked on the front door. I stood on the porch, sweating anxiously. We waited in silence until the door swung open.

Before us stood a boy, about seventeen or eighteen, wearing a green bath robe. His blond hair was mussed up and he wore a pair of pants that had plenty of holes in them.

“Hey, Nike.” Chloe waved. Atlanta just turned red. Nike finally noticed that Logan and I were on his regal porch.

“Who’s this?” He mumbled. Chloe stayed quiet, gesturing towards Atlanta, who was as red as a tomato.

“Oh, um, this is Logan and Genesis. They’re from New America’s Blue.” She squeaked nervously. Nike raised an eyebrow.

“Fresh meat.” He nodded at us. I wasn’t sure if he was trustworthy or not; he was one of the few people I couldn’t read from a first glance.

Perhaps he put up a front; maybe he wasn’t so high and mighty. Who knew? Did he have as much power on Corolla as it appeared?

“So, what are two kids from the Coms doing here on the island?” Nike asked us, swatting a fly that had landed on his cheek. Logan tensed, and I could sense that he wasn’t sure, either, about this boy.

“I committed a crime. We had to run away or receive an Anomaly and get slain.” He explained. Nike laughed. He was really making me uneasy.

“I run things here, and from every new rogue who’s come to Corolla, I’d never heard such a lame excuse as that.”

“Ok, I’m leaving.” I growled, turning on my heel. Chloe grabbed my arm, and a desperate look shot across her face. I couldn’t help but think how much she reminded me of Pasiphae. They were a lot alike. Both of them were figures of authority, yet they were kind to lower class. Both had a sense of humor. The only thing that set them apart was the fact that Pasiphae was dead and Chloe was not. The thought made my heart ache with yearning.

“No, wait, we’re sorry. Please stay. We need just as much help as you do.” She pleaded. I tried to look away from her eyes, but they were so sad and desperate that I couldn’t. I planted my feet firmly on the porch steps and crossed my arms defiantly.

“Fine.” I retorted. Nike rolled his green eyes and started to turn away and close the door on us when his eyes spotted something on me. Immediately, he awoke out of his sleepy daze and pushed his door wide open.

“What’s that?” He demanded, grabbing me by the chain necklace. I stumbled forward. Logan protested angrily, swatting Nike’s skinny hands away from my neck. Nike’s expression had turned stark serious, and although I didn’t gather much from him, I could tell he was thinking very deeply.

“I asked that, too.” Atlanta chimed.

“Leave her alone.” Chloe snapped, pinching Nike in the stomach. He mumbled a curse under his breath and kept staring at the necklace. I gulped. I knew that the necklace was important, but the way Nike had reacted to seeing it made me uneasy, as if he’d seen it before.

“It’s Circe’s, isn’t it?” He said, more to himself than a question. Logan’s eyes darkened and he nodded. “This is it. The key to democracy. It’s right here.” Nike looked up, regarding Chloe and Atlanta with a grim shadow in his eyes. “Make sure that the girl doesn’t lose the pendant. Find them a place in one of the spare houses. Don’t tell anyone else about the necklace, unless you want to face me. Clear?”

The two girls nodded abruptly. It was obvious that Nike was not someone they wanted to answer to.

Chloe burst into the bedroom.

“There’s a mosh pit on the beach,” She chattered excitedly, “Get a swimsuit on and come down to the fifth stretch by the Snow Cone shop.” Before I could object or even say anything, Chloe threw something cloth-like at me, and she slammed the door behind her and ran down the stairs.

I scratched my head. Having no idea what a mosh pit was, I was unsure of whether or not I should go, but Chloe would be expecting me. I wondered if she had told Logan as well. He’d gone down into the town to explore.

I examined the swimsuit. It was two pieces; a dark red color. Surely, it was pretty, but I knew better than to wear something that would earn me a Minority back home.

So I compromised. I wore it with a large scarf over the top to cover myself.

It was nighttime already. Loud music blared through speakers somewhere, and people danced around, holding cups full of water and juice. I was still getting used to the behavior that could get people killed at home.

“Hey, Corolla Island! Good evening!” I turned to a makeshift stage to see a tall, lean teenaged boy standing with a microphone. He had on a pair of jeans and a ripped-up T-shirt; I couldn’t help but notice the enormous amount of tattoos he had covering his arms. A few girls in the front row screamed in delight. “Are you ready for another spectacular night on the beach?” People cheered in response.

Chloe and Atlanta stood a few yards from me, dancing and waving their arms. I couldn’t help but think how amazing it would be to live here your entire life. No worries or cares. Just fun and freedom.

“I see we’ve got some newbies here tonight,” He laughed, and I realized he was looking at me. I turned pink with embarrassment. “Let’s show them what we do on Friday nights!” The crowd screamed in excitement.

He started to strum his guitar. Everyone fell silent; captivated by the beauty of the notes. It made me catch my breath, too, the way the boy could make such a beautiful sound out of a wooden box with strings. It also made me wonder how I could have gone through my entire life without hearing music.

I felt a hand on my arm. My eyes sprang open, afraid that it was a Gov. The spell was broken momentarily, until I realized that it was Logan.

He looked amazing. His brown hair had lost its formed shape, and hung messily over his eyes. The old jacket he had been wearing was traded for a dark green T shirt and a pair of jeans. The glow of the paper lanterns hanging above us lit up his skin so he looked Glow-In-The-Dark, almost like a star.

Logan smiled, but this time, it was a smile full of relaxation and something else- something I couldn’t place.

“Boy, your face can get red.” He teased, stepping closer to me. I realized the heat that was warming my cheeks. His smile faded and he pushed a strand of black hair away from my face. It went without saying that we both knew how we were feeling tonight. He put his forehead against mine, and we started to sway to the music.

“And when I fall in love, I swear to God, I hope it’s true. When the lights go out, I wanna be the one, oh, the one who’s standing next to you….” The boy on the stage sang and strummed the instrument, as everyone on the beach took the moment to hold their partners close. For the others, it might have just been a dance. For me, it was the only moment I’d had in the past week to be with Logan and have some reassurance that I was still alive.

“I don’t regret stealing the pendant for you.” He whispered, squeezing my hand. I flushed. There were always stories about the boy who would go and do something super heroic and dangerous for a maiden. I would always roll my eyes when my mom would tell them to me. But this was real. I hadn’t realized how this was reality; nobody gives a dang about a stupid heroic fairytale until it actually happens. Only this story had a twist.

“Why did you steal it?” I asked. It was the question that had been tormenting me the entire trip.

“I won’t let them have you. Or us. That necklace is more than just jewelry, Gen. It’s a symbol. It means that there’s hope. New America shouldn’t be like this.” His voice shook. I opened my mouth to respond, but the song suddenly changed to a raunchy pop tune, and everybody broke apart to dance rowdily. Logan sighed. “Let’s just forget about this for tonight. My brain’s pretty fried, anyway.”

“Agreed.” I giggled. We twirled around to the beat of the music. It felt so right to let go and forget about the pendant and how Circe would probably kill me. We were having a blast until someone clamped their hand down on my shoulder. Frightened, I whipped around.

Atlanta laughed, throwing her blond head back. I let out an exasperated sigh, and crossed my arms.

“Oh, Jesus, Genesis. You should’ve seen your face. I could’ve been a freaking Gov.” She guffawed, wiping a tear from her eye. Logan rolled his.

“I’m going to go get us some soda.” He muttered, walking away. I turned to face Atlanta.

“What now?” I demanded, my hands on my hips. Atlanta’s humored expression left her eyes and she took on a look of hardness. I got a feeling she hadn’t come just to scare the crap out of me.

“I need to talk to you.”

“Ok, start talking.” I drawled. She stomped angrily on the sand like a little kid.

“In private, you idiot.” She exclaimed, throwing her thin arms in the air.

“Why?” Don’t get me wrong. I don’t have anything against Atlanta, it’s just that she’s not someone I’d hang out with back home. Also, she had that sort of sarcastic air about her that I didn’t click with. She had a temper that could match a newborn’s.

“I’m not kidding.” She dropped her rude tone, and I could tell that she really wasn’t kidding around. “Follow me.” She led me away from the party. We walked to the big house that Nike lived in and stopped at the front door. I stared up at the windows. Were we really going to Nike’s house again? I was so done with that jerk. I wasn’t just about to enter the domain of the loser who had almost choked me with my own necklace.

“No way. I’m not going in there.” I declared.

“He isn’t even home. Nike’s out at one of his parties.” Atlanta said, as if it were obvious and I should’ve known. She stuck a key through the lock and budged the door open. I gagged as the smell of week-old beer and raw meat wafted through. Atlanta barely blinked as we went upstairs.

She sat me down in a bedroom, and I could tell it was hers. The walls were light blue and her bed has sheets the color of grass, just like her outfits. A small picture of Atlanta with another older girl sat on the dresser. When she saw me looking at it, she slammed it face down on the wood.

“Can I see your necklace?” Atlanta asked me softly. I was shocked by the softness in her voice. I never would let anyone touch the pendant, but something told me that Atlanta genuinely wanted to see it. I tentatively handed it to her.

She rubbed her thumb over the glass, and I saw yearning and deep thought in her eyes, as if she’d seen the necklace before. A tear rolled down her cheek.

“I remember this pendant. Mom gave it to us before- before she-“ Atlanta choked on the last words. I let go of my disliking for her and reached over and touched her hand. I could see her trying not to cry. I hate it when people cry.

“Mom…who was your mom?” I whispered, wheels turning in my mind. It suddenly hit me what Logan has said back in the forest about the necklace belonging to Circe. It came to me what Atlanta was getting at. “Circe’s your sister.” I blurted.

Atlanta looked up from her hands.

“I ran away from Red when I was eleven. Circe was twenty, and she had started to run for Lead Govern. She promised to make me a high power in the system, but it wasn’t what I wanted.”

“And that made her mad.”

“Yeah. She wouldn’t speak to me. Circe stopped asking me how I was and then…” Atlanta took a deep breath, “I overheard her talking to another Govern. She had arranged for my assassination, so I ran while I could.” I sat there, squeezing Atlanta’s arm. I was suddenly overcome with an even more intense bitter hatred for Circe. I didn’t have any siblings, but it must have been unspeakably hard for Atlanta. Siblings fought often, I’ve heard, but to overhear that your older sister, someone you look up to, is planning to have you killed, I couldn’t even imagine how hard that must have been. How could Circe be that cruel, even to her own sister?

“I’m so sorry, Atlanta.” It was all I could manage. Watching her stare bleakly at the necklace was all I needed to know; nothing could ever repair her feelings about Circe.

“The reason I needed to know if that was her necklace was because of a promise.”

“What promise?”

“I need you to swear.” Atlanta grabbed my arm, digging her scraggly nails into my skin. Her intense eyes made me shiver. “I need you to swear that you’ll kill her.” I was surprised by her sudden anger. I looked at her and wondered; how much would it take to break a fourteen year old girl? Was Atlanta broken?

“I don’t know if I can kill her. I don’t think I can.” I admitted. I was furious at Circe, but would I sink as low as her? When the time came, would I put the gun to her head and take satisfaction in her screams? Would I be the one to laugh as she died?

Atlanta let go of my wrist and turned away.

“Just promise you won’t let her get away with everything she’s done, ok?” Her voice cracked. I reached out and tried to touch her shoulder reassuringly, but she pulled away. “Nike told me that he wants to meet with you tomorrow night. Don’t bring Logan. Meet him at Duck Donuts.”

“Alright.” I sighed, “Goodbye.” I closed the bedroom door behind me.

I stepped into the dim light of the donut shop. It was crowded with teenagers, some my age, some a little older or younger. As soon as they saw me, the room went quiet. Nike stood on the counter, wearing a red jersey and swim trunks. How the island of Corolla saw this scrawny seventeen year old as their leader, I don’t know.

“Well, if it isn’t Genesis Kemple, our little rogue.” Nike clapped slowly. My ears felt hot. If there was one thing I hated about Corolla, it was their moronic leader. The group just blinked back at me.

“Why am I here?” I asked, eyeing the door. Nike hopped off of the bar.

“We’ve got a war council.” He announced. I rolled my eyes. Really, a war council?

“For what? I don’t see a war anywhere around here.” Someone hollered from the back. People shouted in agreement. I stole a glance at Nike, who was getting thoroughly frustrated.

“Shut up, people!” He exclaimed. Everyone stopped talking. “Now, it may not look it, but this twerp-“ he pointed at me, “Brought a little artifact along, and now we’re screwed.” I was starting to like Nike less and less. “She’s got Circe’s diamond pendant. Now she’s brought forth a war that we weren’t prepared for until next week!”

“Oh, wow, a whole week.” I mocked sarcastically, but inside my head, wheels turned. A war? For what? Independence from the Govs? It was an idea that Logan and I liked to toss around to make ourselves feel better, but we knew that if it really went into action, then there’d be no survival.

“Now we’ll have to fight the Govs and Circe’s forces prematurely. And we don’t even have enough ammo.” He complained. Nike didn’t have an “off” button. The entire donut shop moaned in complaint. I thought about the big guns and machines that I’d seen the Govs use to tear down rebellious cities. How nobody ever survived. How could these crazy teenagers possibly think that they could defeat a government that had been running New America for 1000 years.

“Oh, cry about it.” I mumbled, hoping Nike wouldn’t hear me.

It was crazy; fighting against Circe and her Govs. Still, I wasn’t completely against it.

“They’re smarter than they look,” Chloe said, “They’ve got the big guns and we don’t.” I turned to see her tucked in the corner stool, her brown hair matted over her face. She had a serious expression, one I’d never seen come from her. Since when had she appeared? It just proved that I was too on edge to notice anything anymore.

I shuddered when the grisly memory crossed my mind. I was darting through the town square. I had to get home before sun down or I’d get a Curfew Violation. I already was late from lingering in the Black market with Logan and Pasiphae, and then I had to pick up eggs for dinner. I hadn’t realized how much time I’d wasted.

I swung the door open, expecting to see mom and dad preparing the meal. What I met instead was far worse.

A Gov had his arms wrapped around mom, restraining her. Dad was trying to fight against the other Gov, a tall, bulky blond man.

“Genesis!” Mom screamed, “Genesis, run, get out of here!” I struggled to breathe as I watched the blond Gov beat my father into submission. A choked shriek escaped me as I lunged forward, trying to save my parents.

“Let go of my parents!” I cried, trying to pull the Govs’ arms free from my mom. I had no idea why they were trying to arrest them. My parents were almost perfect; they’d never commit a crime. I sobbed and cried the more my mom and dad tried to fight against their captors. I couldn’t do anything.

Dad was getting weaker. His brown eyes started to close in heavy sleep, and he slackened, groaning in pain. Mom just gave up and started to cry. I screamed again, and came at one of the Govs. I tried to bite him but he grabbed me hard by my wrist and held me upright.

“If you know what’s best for you, young one, you will forget this happened and move on.” He spat. The next thing I remember was a cold, sharp sensation in my forearm, and I fell to the ground, asleep.

When I woke up, I was lying on the cold, hard wood floor in my living room. It took me a minute to remember where I was and what happened, but once I did, I cried in defeat. I ran outside, desperately searching for the Govs who had taken my parents, but they were long gone. I wanted answers, but I couldn’t get them. Would I ever? The next day, it was confirmed by the District Govern that Mae and Finnick Kemple had been executed for an Anomaly class crime. A crime I never knew, until this very evening in the donut shop.

Chloe locked her eyes on me.

“We won’t ever defeat the Governs,” She sighed, “This one, for example. When did rebellion ever work out in our favor?” Chloe turned to Nike, “You ask Genesis and tell me.” Me? What did I know about rebellion? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. But for some reason, it seemed as if everyone in the shop knew what Chloe was talking about, everyone except for me.

“I- I don’t get it-“ I started.

“No, you idiot. You really don’t know, do you?” Nike snarled, narrowing his eyes at me. This time, I lowered my eyes in pure shame. “You have no idea where you came from, who your parents really were.” Before I could give my shocked response, he opened a briefcase and pulled out a piece of tattered newspaper. I snatched it out of his skinny hands and began to read.

Diamond Rebellion News

Printed by Mae Andromeda Kemple and Bellamy Castor Kemple

Article written by Mae Kemple

This will be glorious news to all of our brave spies and rebels hiding amongst the Govs and citizens: we have enough ammunition to start the first battle! If you are participating or plan to be a part of the war effort, it is essential that you burn this newspaper as soon as you have recorded the necessary information. We are close to a rebellion; soon enough, we will arrive to the start of the New Revolution, like the Gray Age. We can and we shall. The Communistic Government of New America will exist no longer.

I read the paper several times in order to believe it. My parents were not apothecary staff at the herb store, they were rebel leaders helping the effort to bring down the Govs and start over. I squeezed my eyes shut as tight as I could. They were so close. We could have started over; we all could have been free from the oppression. But something had slipped; a piece of the puzzle had gone wrong. And it ended in the death of my parents.

“Mae and Finnick were the two best leaders I knew,” Nike said quietly, in a tone that made me less angry with him, “It was Bellamy who showed us to Corolla.” I tried to imagine my parents bringing the next generation of kids over to the quaint island. “The Governs gave Corolla freedom in exchange for a price that will never be paid back.”

Chloe swallowed and a chill of sadness fell over the room.

“And what would that price be?” I asked, cautiously. Nike slowly raised his eyes and blinked sentimentally at me. Suddenly I recognized the emotion splashed across his face. Not just sadness, but guilt. Heavy guilt. For once, I could read Nike Andries.

“Circe promised that we would only have to sacrifice two people in exchange for Corolla’s freedom. We didn’t know that it would be- Genesis, we’re really sorry. I’m sorry. I really am-“Cold fire burned in me as I realized what he was saying. Hate. I was filled with hate. I screamed in rage, lunging at Nike and raking my fingernails down his face. A few people grabbed me and pulled me away, but I fought, kicking and shouting.

“You’re just as bad as all of them!” I howled, spitting every curse I had at Nike, “You gave up my parents, you gave them away, for the stupid freedom of this god-cursed island!” Chloe had started to cry, and tugged on my arm, begging me to calm down. I expected to see Nike furious, but instead, he had his head hung down in shame. I sobbed and sobbed, swearing at anyone who came near me. So my parents hadn’t died the way I had thought to at all. Nike and his cronies gave them up as the scape goats for Corolla’s freedom from The Governs.

“Genesis, please, stop! He had to, he didn’t know that Circe meant them, he didn’t know-“ Chloe pleaded. I ignored her and glared straight at Nike, breathing heavily.

“You moron! You selfish idiot, those were my parents, they could have led you to freedom!” He stepped forward warily.

“We didn’t have a choice.” His voice was quieter than a whisper.

“Yes, you did! If you’re so high and mighty, then why couldn’t you fight the Govs right then and there? Why would you have to get my mom and dad killed? They could have saved your worthless life, but now they’re dead, and it’s your fault!” By this time, I was rambling endlessly about things even I couldn’t understand. I felt like a sputtering fish, too upset and high-strung to function properly.

“We weren’t ready. You have to understand that. Even if we did fight, they would have killed all of us, including Mae and Bellamy, anyway. That’s why there’s a war now, Genesis. We’re fighting back so we can have our country again. We need your help.” Chloe begged me, trembling. I had to look away from her so I wouldn’t break down again. My entire body was shaking with anger and sadness. I took one last glare at the group and ran out the door.

“They’re coming today.” I heard a voice come from next to me. Logan was wrapped in the sheets, blinking at me. I was still worn out from my run in with Nike. Sighing loudly, I pulled the sheets up further so he wouldn’t see how I was still trembling.

“Who?”

“Circe and her Governs. They know we’re here.” Logan said grimly. I turned over. I had known it, and would try to accept it, but the thought of all those marching boots and bullet-proof uniforms made me icy with fear.

“We’re not prepared. They’ll kill us all.” In just a few hours, there would be an enormous amount of bodies lying, cold, around Corolla Island. And I had a bad feeling that the odds were against us.

“Actually, we’re ready to go. You haven’t seen what Nike’s got stored down at the house by the beach.” He said, matter-of-factly. “Entire artillery of weapons. Guns, knives, tanks, bombs, you name it.” I imagined all of the rebels throwing knives that bounced harmlessly off of the Govern vests. I tried not to think of our hopeless defeat.

“Wow,” I mumbled, trying to sound impressed. The truth is, I was scared out of my wits and I didn’t know if I would survive. Or if anyone would.

A woman in a white battle suit covered in metal came through the fog. I glanced at Atlanta, whose face was as pale as the moon as she saw her sister. This was it. We were either about to die a bloody death or triumph in the greatest glory since the Grays.

Logan squeezed my hand. I couldn’t tell if it was for reassurance or from his fear. Either way, it was nice to feel familiarity close by.

Every single teenager on Corolla Island stood behind me, Nike, Logan, Chloe, and Atlanta. I was shocked and touched by their bravery; they were all so young (well, so were we) and had plenty of years ahead of them. Instead, they chose to fight for another country’s independence.

We knew that the Govern forces would be great in number and powerful beyond compare, but nothing could have possibly prepared us for the army that stood with Circe.

My knees nearly buckled. Hundreds, maybe even thousands, of white-suited soldiers marched in unison behind their cruel leader. Ever one of them was armed with a long blaster gun and several packs of ammunition. And even after the Gov army came a long line of tanks, battle machines, and powerful hybrid monsters. The most frightening creature was dark crimson in color, almost like blood. It had long, pointed fangs and stood taller than a house. One look from its piercing green eyes and I knew it had been made to kill. I shuddered as the army came closer.

Atlanta stiffened beside me. I could almost feel the hopeless stares coming from the people behind me, and I knew we were all thinking the same thing: The Govs are going to rip us apart. We’re going to die before we even get a chance to fight.

Circe smirked when she finally settled her eyes on us. She seemed even more menacing behind all of her armor. I glanced down at my own “protection”: faded bulletproof material, half-ripped, smelling like dead fish. The only thing good coming from my armor was the bulletproof stuff.

“Genesis,” She greeted without politeness, as her eyes fell to my necklace, “You have something of mine that I’d like for you to return.” Atlanta gripped my arm and whispered,

“Don’t give it to her.”

“I know that.” I snapped back at her. Circe gave her attention to Atlanta, and a mixture of hate, rage, and bitterness crossed her face.

“My little traitor,” She spat, as Atlanta flinched, “It seems as if you’ve crossed over to certain death. Shame, shame. We could have had so much together, Attley.”

“Don’t call me that ever again.” Atlanta growled. Circe laughed.

“What, are you not so fond over your old nickname?” Without giving time for her sister to answer, Circe turned back to me. “Now, about that pendant. Hand it over, and we’ll kill you all quickly.” I hardened, my face masking the raw anger I had directed at her. I gulped, bracing myself.

“No.”

“Pardon?”

“I said, no. We’re never going to give up hope.” I stated, tightening the grip on my knife. Circe sighed, like she had been expecting my answer. I looked to my comrades behind me, nodding subtly to let them know that things were about to get bloody and ugly. I saw the fear in their eyes, but I also knew how brave they were. I wouldn’t let them die without us winning. Circe turned to her army.

“On my count. One, two-“ She never finished her sentence, because at that minute, Nike charged forward and threw a bomb that erupted poisonous gas, taking out at least ten Governs. It had begun.

All of the rebels scrambled to fight, and Governs began to shoot. I ran through the crowd, my knife at the ready. I felt someone come up behind me, so I whipped around and got him right in the chest. I gasped in horror. Even if it had been a Gov, I’d never hurt anyone before. I ran before I could do something stupid.

I panicked when I tripped over bodies. There was so much carnage around me that I couldn’t focus. Everywhere, Govs and Rebels fought against each other. It went on like this for hours, casualty after horrid casualty.

“Genesis, get to the house!” Logan shouted to me, over the cries of the wounded. I tucked my knife in my belt and ran behind him, dodging the fighting soldiers. I had to knock a Gov out of my way with my fist.

We burst into the doors of Nike Andries’ home. Inside, the wounded and near-death were being treated. It smelled like burning hair and raw meat. People were stretched out on cots everywhere. Chloe had been right: teenagers like us were in no shape to fight a grown-up war.

I winced when I saw the boy from the mosh pit lying on a table, his face badly burned. It was hard for me to think that this broken child, two nights ago, was standing on a stage singing. He saw me and tried to smile. I stopped at his cot.

“Genesis Kemple,” He murmured, trying to shake my hand. I gulped so I wouldn’t cry in front of him. I was supposed to be a leader; these people were depending on me. How could I let them down after they all died?

“Hi, Danny,” I croaked.

“You’re effing brave, alright?” The boy said, the burned skin on his cheek crinkling when he spoke. “We’re all dying, but don’t cry about it. We’re going to win. You’re going to win.” I hadn’t realized the tears rolling down my cheeks until he touched my face.

“I’m trying.” I laughed, quietly. He smiled briefly, and then winced in pain.

“We’ll all be free. We’ll all be out of here, birthdays and love and…we’ll all…” His eyes glazed over, and his pained expression relaxed. I shook his arm lightly.

“Daniel?” I whispered, panic rising, “Danny, are you ok?” He didn’t answer, just stared endlessly up at the ceiling. I backed away, mortified. Danny had died right in front of me. Was this all because of me? Had I brought all of this suffering on a peaceful island? The thought of it made me sick. I keeled over and vomited.

“We need to get the Sphere.” Logan said, squeezing my shoulder. I couldn’t look away from Danny. I watched as two young boys lifted his cot and carried him away. I choked back a scream. Logan pulled me into a hug and held me. “There’s nothing we can do.”

He led me upstairs to the main bedroom.

“What’s in here?” I asked. Logan took a moment, then went under the bed and pulled out a large, golden sphere. It glowed like a radiant chunk of the sun.

“The Sphere is our only chance. It’s a weapon.”

“It’s a golden ball.” I stated skeptically. Logan scowled.

“I don’t know what it does, but Nike told me that you’re the only one who can activate it’s powers. He knew this because when you were a little kid, Mae and Bellamy transferred its obedience to you.” I turned the sphere over in my hands. It was heavy, but portable. I was unsure about putting all of our weight on a metal sphere to save our lives, but if my parents had entrusted its internal command system to me, then it must have meant something. I looked up at Logan.

“Where is Nike?” I asked. He averted his eyes, as pain filled them. I opened my mouth, about to ask again, when it sank in. This was a war. People die, people drop like flies. “Not another. Not him.” Dread tumbled through me like a million boulders of ice.

“I’m sorry, Genesis. He went quickly. It was a-“

“I don’t want to know.” I cut him off, digging my nails into my palm to make myself focus. I never liked Nike. We were never friends, and the last thing I wanted to do was become another one of his pawns. But over our short time together I had learned things about the leader of Corolla; how he wasn’t as strong as he made out to be. Nike hid behind a mask of bravery and stupidity, but deep inside, he was a scared teenager trying to scrape an entire nation together. That’s when I finally understood him. Being in charge of leading a society when you’re only eighteen would be enough to break anybody, especially someone as fragile as him. Nike wasn’t a concrete wall of strength; he was delicate as a glass mirror.

I knew he had tried his hardest for us, regardless of whether he had sacrificed my parents or not. This made it even harder to accept him as dead.

“He wanted to apologize.” Logan touched my hand. I didn’t respond, I was too afraid that I’d start screaming and go crazy. I kept my lips pressed together in sacred silence. “He was sorry for giving up Mae and Bellamy.” I wanted to beg Logan to stop talking, plead to keep his mouth shut. If I heard any more about Nike being sorry or Nike dying then I wouldn’t be able to handle it. Hearing his apology didn’t make me feel any better, it just reminded me of my last words to him: Now they’re dead, and it’s your fault. It wasn’t his fault at all. All he could have done to save the island was to give up two people. Who knew those people would be Mae and Bellamy Kemple?

I was shaken out of my horrified daze by the sound of an ear-piercing gun shot outside of the house. Chaos ensued downstairs. Logan and I rushed to the living room to find the source. Everywhere, people screamed and ran from the horde of Govs standing with a nuclear cannon. It had blasted a hole in the wall, taking out two rebel medics and badly injuring many more. The wounded soldiers that had been tapered down on their cots could do nothing but groan in agonized despair as they watched more of their friends collapse.

“Hide the sphere.” Logan whispered. I shoved it in my pocket. The few healthy rebels that could stand took out sets of bows and arrows, aiming at the Govs. A red-headed girl I recognized, Rachel, I think, aimed right at a chink in a Gov’s armor. The arrow found a place in his armpit, and seconds later, exploded in a shower of sparks. The Gov fell to the ground, convulsing terribly.

In panicked horror, I tried to pull the wounded rebels away from the scene to safety, but there were so many. Logan grabbed me by my arm, shouting above the noise,

“There’s nothing we can do, Genesis, we can’t help them!” I kept shrieking back at him, begging him to help me save all of them, but he just kept shaking me, repeating, “There as good as dead, I know it’s hard, but we have to leave!” I wailed and cried as he pulled me from the house, back to the raging war outside.

Everywhere, a mixture of Govs and rebels lay on the ground. Some were moaning in their last minutes of life while others stayed silent in death. People still battled with each other, though we could tell who was winning, and still, the odds were against us.

I thought back to the day I saw Pasiphae in the square, staring back at me in anguish. The memory filled me with rage, and I charged forward.

I fought like I never had before. I used my knife viciously, hacking away at any Govs that stood in my way. I was spattered with blood, but I ignored the smell and kept destroying. My mind was a machine, blocking out everything else. I spotted something else; a skinny rebel girl fighting against a tall woman in white armor. Atlanta and Circe. Circe was winning; she was clean from blood, while her sister was trembling with weakness, gore pouring down her face. It was then that I noticed her missing eye. I was too far away to help, and too far away to save Atlanta. She struck Circe in the face with her knife, and although this startled her, it wasn’t enough. Circe pinned Atlanta on the ground, but I was too late.

A scream left my lips as she swung her blade down. I felt the pure definition of loathing and abhorring that I’d never felt before. Nike. Danny. And now, Atlanta. As Circe walked away, I saw Atlanta lying on the dirt, breathing in short gasps. I ran over to her.

“Gen…es..is…” She choked out, trying to smile. Tears fell from my eyes onto hers. I held her hand, trying to comfort her into her last moments. The Govs tried to grab me, but with a yell, I shouted,
“Stand back!” They were too shocked too move.
“Brave…” She mumbled. I sniffled.

“I know, Atlanta. I’m sorry, I should have-“

“Not…your…fault. Forgive her…” Seeing her like this made me sick. My throat filled with bile as I watched her struggle to breathe.

“We can save you, we can…” I cried, wiping my nose on my sleeve. Atlanta grimaced and slowly shook her head. I was numb; there was no way I would accept her leaving.

“My time…has come. Forgive Circe. Do not give…satis…faction.” I wiped the blood from her face, and cried softly with her. “Don’t…go. Stay…with me.” I gripped her hand even harder, trying to anchor her to stay here in the living. I knew she was dying. And I knew all of this, everything, was Circe Myseros’ fault.

“I’m not going anywhere.” I stroked her hand gently, trying as hard as I could, to hold it together. I couldn’t even be angry with Circe, not when I was so overwhelmed with harsh sadness. This too, shall pass. Soon, I would be furious all over again. After a while, Atlanta’s breaths became gasps of pain. I fastened the pearl/diamond pendant necklace around her neck. The symbol of freedom would be freed with her.

“Holding grudges…your fatal…flaw.” She gasped, squeezing her good eye shut. Fatal flaw? Was the pain making her delusional? Atlanta wasn’t making any sense. I squeezed her hand harder. “Don’t…hold grudges.”

“Atlanta, I don’t get it!” I cried, but she became still.

I sobbed over her body, trembling with rage and hurt. I thought I knew what I was dealing with, but it was far more horrible. I didn’t know what she meant, and now I never would.

I found a war tarp and blanketed it over Atlanta, and closed her eyelids, so it covered her eyeless socket. Now she looked like she was sleeping. Just like a princess. You’ll never understand the agony this put me through. Everything, and I mean everything and everyone, was dying around me, as we fought for a lost cause.

This is what the Governs did. They sucked all of the hope and courage out of every corner, every crevice, and saw to it that in the end we would surrender our dreams and fall back into submission. And deep inside, every rebel and New American knew that the Govs were afraid of us. After all, they wouldn’t have forced all of the pain and oppression on us if we hadn’t been a threat.

I was a threat. The necklace was a threat: it was a reminder of who we were and that some part of us weren’t just Govern slaves. That’s why Circe hid it and kept it from the people. Logan, Chloe, Atlanta, Nike, Danny, and every other person who was fighting this endless battle knew it would end eventually, either dying in bravery for their freedom, or standing in the ruins of an old country, screaming their victory. And I knew that either way, I wouldn’t stand in the cesspool of the Gov’s hate and fear. I wouldn’t take their punishment.

I knew what I had to do. In pure numbness and sadness, I pulled the sphere out of my pocket, and with an anguished cry, I threw it towards the sky.

I don’t even know what you would call it. It could have been an explosion, but then it could have been a tidal wave, or acid rain. All I knew was that I was rocketed off of my seat and back into nothing. It obliterated everything, destroyed whatever was in a four hundred mile radius. Only the meant survivors would live. And who were those?

My head felt like it was splitting in half. My eyes were blinded by golden dust and a noxious gas of some sort. Somewhere, I could hear shouting and crying. Ringing. Everywhere.

I was on fire. I was doused over and over in something solid and liquid at the same time. Nothing made sense.

Then came the dreams. Pasiphae stood behind the fog, stringy hair combed back. She smiled at me, but when she opened her mouth to talk, she spoke in Atlanta’s voice.

“Don’t hold a grudge. Holding grudges is your fatal flaw, Genesis.” She dissipated into the wind, and Logan appeared by my side. I reached out to touch him but he faded away.

The next thing I knew, I was sitting upright, shrieking, in a cold hospital bed. Surrounding me were Chloe and Logan. Their faces were settled with grief and mourning.

“We won.” He choked out, not sounding happy at all. I opened my mouth, but he touched my throat. “Don’t try to speak anymore. You’ve been through a lot.” I soaked in where I was; a run-down Gray Age hospital. It took me a moment to remember everything, but once I recollected what had happened to Atlanta and Nike, I started to cry again.

“The sphere caused a nuclear explosion that rocked everything in its path. The only reason we didn’t die is because everyone not wearing Gov-suit material was immune to it.” Chloe explained, and for the first time, I noticed her missing hand. A bloody, white bandage was tapered over it, and every time she shifted her position, she grimaced in pain. I stared out the window at the mass destruction everywhere.

“Circe’s alive. We kept her for you.” said Logan. I nodded. Suddenly, I remembered Atlanta’s words for me: Don’t hold grudges. I flinched. “Get some rest. We’ll come get you when it’s time.” I tried to protest, but a cold sensation coursed through my veins and I fell asleep.

“It’s time.” We stood in the middle of all the carnage outside, the sun blazing like a hot iron. Everywhere, the dwindling numbers of rebel soldiers stood in a circle around me and the fallen Lead Govern of the Old New America. Circe was tethered to a post, the white battle armor torn and burned with scorch marks. When she saw me, she grinned. I felt sick.

“You’ve surprised me.” She laughed insanely, throwing her head back. I said nothing. Chloe handed me a hand-rifle, nodding. Circe smiled again. “You’re going to kill me, are you? And what satisfaction would you get?”

“The satisfaction of watching you’re worthlessness fade. That’s what.” I spat. My heart pulsed with anger. This sick, twisted woman would die laughing.

“What did my younger sister say to you, don’t hold grudges? Well, you’re certainly making her proud.” At the mention of Atlanta, I smacked Circe in the face so hard that her head hit the pole. I felt like a monster, but I couldn’t stop. I had to get control of myself. I wouldn’t sink as low as her. Not after everything we’d sacrificed.

“I’m not holding a grudge.” I growled, shakily. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. “I’m taking mercy on you.”

“You’re disgusting.” She snorted.

“I’m forgiving you.” Then I shot her.

Our land is free now. It took time, patience, and tears, but things are different. We have birthday parties, and we fall in love, we run through the forest without getting killed. It’s something we made possible.

The dead are acknowledged. We held a memorial service; a shroud of green for Nike, a statue of Atlanta, and some cities have been named after the fallen, including my parents. I live in Kemple County, now. That evening, New America became the United Districts. Nobody is afraid.

As for Logan and I, we’ve settled together. It’s been five years since the war. We’re planning to become married in another year or so, but for now, we’re focused on rebuilding our nation.

Sometimes we visit Corolla, but for the most part we dwell around the districts.

I think to myself how beautiful this land has become.

And fear will always exist in our hearts, sometimes it anchors us to safety, but it is contained. We’ve found better ways to harbor our fear and hurt so it won’t damage others.

I wonder if we can keep things the way they are now.

And even if this won’t last, I know that it’s the blinking stars and the burning sparks that keep us alive.

on Feb. 13 2014 at 7:09 pm
loveyoubby2018 BRONZE, Kennisaw, Georgia

They will only care when you are gone. ~Marilyn Monroe

The book is absolutley wonderful! (; Love it!  

on Dec. 9 2013 at 1:47 pm

woo go me! you smell like roses and suave shanpoo. you rock my knee high boots off! go sami