In The Simplest Terms | Teen Ink

In The Simplest Terms

November 20, 2013
By SimplyAli BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
More by this author
SimplyAli BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I laugh because I must not cry. That is all. That is all."

"No matter how many red carpets you guys wanna walk in with you $4000 ridiculous red heels; you will never be able to lace up my Chuck Taylors."


Author's note: I wrote this for my Creative Paper. I really love how this story unfolds.

My father was a noble man; he taught me everything I needed to know in life. His cold grey eyes always seemed to brighten when he learned something new. His salt and pepper hair was shorter than most but he never cared. Around his mouth, formed a little bit of a scruff that seemed like it was rough; as his lips looked dry every single day. He always wore a plain white t-shirt and plain tan kakis. His glasses were always on him as his black shoes were always laced up. He was always the person who could light up the room with just his smile and kindness. It’s hard to explain what my father was like, cause quite frankly it’s been too long; my friend.


My mother was a woman of words; always spoke her mind. To her, she was always right, and my father knew never to disagree with it. She had long black hair; she never liked to cut her hair. She had these icy blue eyes that seemed like they were staring at your soul. She had pink plump lips that hid that beautiful of hers. There was no doubt my mother was the beautiful thing on this earth. My mother was this woman who just that personality; you know. That personality that just made everyone around her; love her. She was that lady who just made the world magical, and I miss her. Matter of fact, I miss both of them; they’re no longer here.
I didn’t have the perfect family, even though it felt like it. My mother struggled to make ends meet while my father had to be everywhere for his job. So no, I didn’t always celebrate Christmas, or had a birthday party. Those things didn’t seem to part when you had two parents who loved you; for you. When you lose your parents; who else do you have? Sure you’ll have cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents; but what happens when they don’t actually love you or everything you stand for; everything you are. It just falls apart after that and eventually you lose yourself. You don’t know who that person is who looking back at you when you look into the mirror. You’re a stranger to yourself and that my friend; is the lowest of the low.


The Victors… I don’t know how to explain them really; all they are is broken boys that should have been men. They are kings, they’re nothing but cowards. They kill innocent people; people who just are trying to get by. I don’t know how or when they were created, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say it wasn’t hell here. They have these huge egos that were built on nothing. I’m not scared of The Victors and I don’t pretend to be. They live on pain, blood, and most of all; war. They don’t deserve anything but the chance to burn. They killed the two closet people to me and they are not getting away with it.



One day and 10 hours it took for Cerise O’Leary and I to get to Alesund. Cerise O’Leary was a friend of my family, she was loyal to the max. After my parents died, she took me into her care. We had to escape from Ireland, the victors were after me and I was in danger. Cerise took matter in her own hands and drove us to Alesund, Norway. I know I’m risking my life for doing this, I know for sure The Victors won’t have it. They’ll kill you; hang you in front of thousands of people if they knew you fled without their permission. Cerise and I didn’t have a better option; the odds are never in our favor.





Flashback



I stared at my reflection in the mirror as I twirled my white dress around. My brown hair was put tightly in a braided bun as my icy blue eyes sparkled. Today was my birthday and my parents were taking me somewhere special. The walls were painted white; the only things in my room were a bed, dresser and my mirror. The wind was rustling outside as I walked over to my window. I grabbed my stool as I carefully stood on top of it. I opened the window with a grunt coming out of me. I gracefully placed my hands on the wooden surface underneath me. The wind blew the trees as the birds sung a beautiful sound. The grey clouds blocked the bright sun as horses came into my view.



Thousands of men with a ‘V’ on the upper sleeve were darting towards my house; on their horses. My heart was beating fast as I jumped off the stool. I backed away from the window as the sounds of the horse galloping grew louder. It was like everything was in fast motion as I started breathing heavily. I turned around and ran out the door. The hallways were narrow and long as I made it in the kitchen. My father and mother were sitting at the table; hands crossed and staring intensely at each other. Everything went silent as I still was breathing heavily. My mother’s face showed regret and sorrow as my father’s face was betrayal and shocked.



I took a step forward as the floor creaked. Both of them looked at me as I wiped my hands on my dress. I ran towards my father as I tugged on his shirt.

“Daddy Daddy, there were men on horses coming this way. You should have seen them; there must have been thousands of them. It was incredible dad!” I exclaimed. He smiled weakly at me as he turned his body towards mine. He grabbed both of my hands and placed kisses on them.

“I love you, Darcy. You know that right?” He asked. I nodded my head as I looked at my mother. Her eyes were filled with tears as she put both of her fists close to her mouth. I looked at back at my father as I swallowed hard.

“W-what… What’s going on?” I managed to spit out. His lip quivered as he took a shaky breath. I looked at him with eyes full of concern. My little hand touched his cheek as his hand grasped it. He closed his eyes as he formed a little smile.

“I love you Darcy, don’t you ever think I didn’t.” He breathed out.

“Didn’t?” I whispered. He opened his eyes and looked at me. The door was kicked up as a bunch of guys came running in. They carried large weapons as they started to shoot. It was loud as a bullet hit my arm. I screamed from the top of my lungs as I touched my wounded arm. My father held on to me for dear life as I started to cry. Tears were streaming down my father’s face as I wrapped my left arm around his neck. He picked me up and quickly went into my room. He closed the door with his foot as he and I hid behind my bed. My father wrapped his arms around me as I held on close to him. I was sobbing softly as my father whispered to be quiet.

“Everything is going to be alright.” He whispered to me.

“My arm...” I whispered. My father looked down on my arm as more tears fell from his eyes. The gunshots stopped as I heard whispering from the outside. A gunshot occurred again as my mother let out a piercing scream.

“Mother!?!?!” I whispered. My father shooed me as more gunshots occurred.

“They’re killing her, dad.” I whispered. My father’s grip tightens on me as the door was kicked. My father kissed my forehead as he held me even tighter.

“Stand up Phillip.” A man ordered. My father closed his eyes as he let go of me. More tears escaped from my eyes as my dad stood up. He had his hands up for surrender. One of the men started to talk in Irish as my father responded back. The room went silent as all of sudden; I heard a loud gunshot and my father fell to the ground. I screamed slightly to myself as I crawled over to him. Blood was coming out of him as he was shot in the heart.

“Daddy?” I whispered. Blood was on my dress and on my hands as tears came out of my eyes. My arm was killing me as I crawled over to him. My fingers carefully touched him as I closed my eyes. Tears escaped my eyes as I held onto my right arm. Blood was everywhere as the men quietly existed my room. I grabbed my father’s hand as I held it. Tears streamed down my face as I let out a shaky breath.



End of Flashback

It rained harder than it ever did before as I held on to my backpack. Kids raced into the school as I stood there. Everyone was screaming because of the rain, but I loved the rain. It gave me this kind of rush that I never felt before in my life. I let out a sigh as I started to walk towards the school building. The ground was all muddy as I continued to walk. The rain stopped pouring on me as I entered the building. It was warm and cozy, which it never was. I looked down at the floor as I began walking up the stairs. Thousands of little conversations that probably made no sense at all surrounded me. I looked around before walking up the second flight of stairs. I sighed as I made on top of the stairs. I opened the door as I continued on my way to my homeroom.


The class was loud as I quietly made my way towards the back. I threw my backpack on the ground as I sat down behind a desk. I folded my hands together as I kept my head down. I don’t really have any friends here nor do I have any friends at all. I kept to myself and mind my own business. It’s just easier that way; I suppose. The talking quiets down as I kept my head down. Mr. Brendon stands behind his desk as he looks down at his papers.

“Welcome class,” Mr. Brendon clapped his hands together as he looked up at the class.“There are two words on the board; what are they? Darcy, what are those two words?” By this time, everyone looks at me as I slowly look up at the board.

“Family Tree.” I whisper. The class murmurs their own vicious words as I sigh a little.

“Say that again please.” Mr. Brendon asks. I look down at my hands as I sigh again.

“Family Tree.” I say more firmly. The whole class snickers silently as I look up at them.

“Yes. Family Tree. There is papers being passed around right now, it will give you details on what you need to do and when this project is do. Looking forward to see all of your family trees.” He smiled as he looked back down at his desk. The paper landed on my desk as I ran a hand through my hair. The other kids keep stealing glances towards me; laughing while they do.




----

I threw the piece of paper on the table as Cerise’s head shot up. She looked at me then looked at the paper. She dropped her pen and picked the paper in her hand. Her eyes were focused on the paper as she sighed. She dropped the paper on the table and she took her glasses off and put on the table. She licked her lips as she looked up at me. I put my hands in my pants pocket and looked at her.

“It’s talking about a family tree, in case you didn’t know that.” I whispered.

“Yeah, I kind of figured it out.” She stated. I looked down at the ground as I just wanted this to get over with.

“Sit down.” She firmly stated. I sighed as I pulled out the chair. I sat down as I put my hands on my lap. I looked down at the table as she crossed her fingers together.

“You don’t have to do this, if you want to. You know that, right?” I looked up at her as I shook my head.

“I’m tired of skipping assignments because my real father got shot and my mother never made out there alive. I’m going to finish this project one way or another.” I stated.

“You don’t know that.” She stated. I looked at her crazy as I chuckled. I leaned forward on my chair as I stared directly at her eyes.

“I saw my father get shot right in front of me. My mother…”

“You honestly think your mother died in that house. You’re a fool if you think that.” She grabbed her glasses and got up from her chair. I looked at her as she walked away from the table. She entered her room as I became curious. I stood up as I walked towards Cerise’s room. She was sitting on her bed as her back was facing me.

“Where is my mother, Cerise?” I asked her. She sighed as she grabbed her pack of cigarettes. She pulled one out and put it on the tip of her lips. She grabs her lighter as she lights the cigarette. She looks at me as she shrugged.

“What mother?” She asks. She pulls the cigarette out of mouth and lets out smoke. I lean on the door frame and cross my arms.

“Cerise, where is my mother? I don’t have time for this, my mother died in that house. I heard the gunshots and her piercing scream. Don’t tell me that my mother is alive, she died in that house. ” I stated more firmly.

“You’re couldn’t be any more wrong than you are right now. Your mother is alive in Ireland right now. And you can believe that or not; I don’t care.” Cerise shrugged as she brought the cigarette back to her mouth. I sighed as I slid down the door frame.

“I just want to know if my mother made it alive Cerise. If this is some kind of sick joke, it’s not funny. I miss my mother so much its freaking crazy Cerise. I need the truth, is she really alive?” I asked.

“What would you do to see your mother again?” She asked.

“I’d do anything to see my mother again.” I told her. I looked at her, her arms crossed together. She’s looking down at me, her fingers holding onto the cigarette. She licks her lips as she looks away from me. “Cerise, please.” I beg.

“It was part of her plan; she wanted the victors to kill Nicholas. Your father was dead the day he met your mother. It was her plan.”

“What plan? Cerise, where is she?” I asked her.

“Dublin, Ireland. Right where we left her.” Cerise stated.

“How do you know this?” I asked.

“Like it said, it was part of her plan. She’s a witch.” I looked at her as I shook my head.

“Shut your mouth, my mother was not a witch.” I growled. She looks straight across from her, refusing to look at me. She looks like she is in deep thought as I continue to look at her. She sighs as she doesn’t move.

“Fair enough. You want to see her?” I raised an eyebrow. She never looks at me as she puts the cigarette back into her mouth.

“What do you mean, like actually drive to Ireland?” I asked.

“It’s only a day and 10 hours, we can do it.” She stated. She said it like it was no big deal.

“Are you sure?” She nodded as she put the cigarette out.

“We’ll plan in the morning.”

“It takes a day and 10 hours to get to Dublin. The Victors are scattered all over that area. Your mother will probably be in the view of The Victors. We need to find a way on getting to your mother, safely. I don’t know how we can do this Darcy, but we will find a way.” Cerise stated.


“I’m not sure about this anymore Cerise. I don’t think I can do this.” I mumbled.


“Hey, you said you’d do anything to see your mother. This is a once in a lifetime thing. We have to take this. We just have too. Now come on, let’s think here. We need to blend in.” Cerise whispered the last part. She leaned back into her chair.


“We need a makeover. If The Victors see us, we’re dead. We need to change everything.” I stated. She looked at me and grinned.


“Bingo. I’ll ask Scarlett if she can hook us up.” Cerise stood up as she grabbed the house phone.


“Did you say hook us up?” I asked, chuckling a little bit.


“Isn’t that what you kids say now days?” She asked.


“No. Thank goodness too.” I laughed at the last part. She grinned as she put the phone to her ear. She exited the living room as I leaned back into my chair. I put my hands to my face as I sigh. I hear Cerise talking as I put my hands back to my lap, I wonder how this whole thing was going to go down, but I could only think good things. The bad things would completely end me and break me even more. I wondered and wondered if my mother was trying to look for me. After eight long years, do you think she’s still looking for me? I wonder if Cerise is telling the truth, is my mother a witch. What was my mother’s plan, did she kill my father intently? Heck, is she even alive?


“She expects us in 15 minutes. So go pack after we’re done with Scarlett, we’re leaving to go to Ireland. I know we don’t have a plan, we’re just going to wing it; I guess. Go, hurry up.” I turned around and looked at Cerise. I sighed as I got up. I walked to my room as I closed my door. I walked over to my closet as I grabbed my suitcases. I put them on my bed as I sat down on my bed. I didn’t need to pack, my suitcases were already full. My suitcases were always packed, just in case I needed to run away. Run away from all my demons, my sins, and my monsters.



I notice the picture right next to my bed as I grasped it. I looked down at it as a tear falls from my eye. It hits the picture as my fingertips touch the frame. It was a picture of my mother; she was so beautiful. She was smiling, smiling at me. I bring the picture to my lips as I kiss it. I put it back down on my lap as I whisper “I’m coming for you mother; stay there.”





-------

“Do you like it, Darcy?” Scarlett asked. I ran my fingers through my now blonde hair as I nodded.


“It’s nice.” I mumbled. She smiled as she put her hands on her hips.


“Remember, this won’t last for long. I give it seven days and it will be long gone. How long will you guys be in Dublin?” Scarlett asked. Cerise shrugged as she licked her lips.


“We’re going to try to get there and come back in four days. Maybe even less. But we need to leave right now. How much do I owe you?” Cerise reaches for her wallet, but Scarlett shakes her head.


“It’s on the house. Now go on now, I want Darcy to be happy.” She looks down at me as I smile back at her. Cerise smiles as I got up from the chair. Cerise and I walk towards the door as Scarlett mutters “Be careful.”


“Always are.” Cerise stated. Cerise and I walk out of the shop and started to walk towards the car.

“Did you really mean by four days?” I asked her. I put my hand on the handle as she looks at me from her side.


“Have no choice now. Don’t want the pretty hair of yours exposing us.” She mumbled. I sighed as I opened the door. We put got in the same time as Cerise put the key into the ignition. The car engine comes to life as she pulls out of the parking lot.


“Get ready for the time of our lives.” Cerise exclaims. I smile weakly as I lean back into the seat. I lay my head on the window as I take in the view of the outside. The clouds are still grey as the day feels cold and long. I’m nervous for what these next days hold for us, but I have to think positive. I have to think of my mother’s face when she sees me. That beautiful face that will light up, when she sees me. The tears that come from out her eyes as she holds me for dear life. Her tears of joy and her beautiful smile is what is keeping me from changing my mind. My eyes start to feel tired as before I knew it; I feel asleep.

I shift uncomfortably as a couple of Victors came into our view. We had to stop to pay at a toll, the victors pace back and forth watching everyone.


“Stay calm, don’t move Darcy.” Her Irish accent running thick. I obey her directions as she stops the car; waiting in line.

“We only need to pass this and we’re in Ireland, Darcy. We can’t stop here. They’re going to look at us closely, and all we do is look straight ahead. Don’t do anything else. Say yes sir and no sir. The rest is up to me.” Cerise ordered. I nodded as she pulled up; rolling her window down. One of the Victors look into the car, looking at us.


“Good day ladies, six Euros please.” The man ordered.


“Yes sir.” Cerise whispers. She grabs the Euros as she hands it to the man. He looks at us as he puts the money in the cashier.


“What are your names?” The man questioned.


“Heather and Olivia Oakley.” Cerise lied right through her teeth. The man looked at us before nodding. He gave us an thumb up, signaling we can go.


“Welcome to Ireland ladies.” The man said. Cerise nods as she starts driving.


“That was a close one Cerise.” I stated.


“I know, I know. I’ll think more clearly. Just be happy we made it in Ireland. Now we just got to find your mother. Until then, we’re going to stay at my old house. No one knows where it is, but us.” Cerise said. I look at her as she takes a deep breath.


“Cerise, do you think my mother would remember me?” I asked her.


“What kind of question is that? Of course, who would forget their own kid? That’s foolish talk Darcy, and you know it.”


“It might be foolish, but it could be true. It’s been eight years since I saw my mother. I don’t even know if she is still here…”


“She is.” Cerise stated.


“How do you know?” I asked her.

“I just do, okay? Enough with the questions, Darcy. Just be quiet for a couple of minutes. We’ll talk more when we arrive at the house.” I sighed as she bit her lip. Bunch of people were scattered all over the place. I wondered if one of their family members died by The Victors. I wondered behind all of their smiles if they ever felt pain. Were they having the time of their life or slowly fading away? I wonder what it would be like to walk in their shoes. How it was like to be normal for once?




----



Cerise dropped her keys on the table as I tighten my grip on the handles of the suitcases. She looked around before sitting down right by the kitchen table. She had a little smile on her face as she clapped her hands together.


“I miss being here. Home sweet home.” She laughed in happiness as I smiled at her. I sat down next to her as she looked right at me.


“What’s with the face Darcy? We’re in Ireland!” Cerise exclaimed. I smiled weakly as I sighed.


“I’m going for a walk.” I stated. I got up from the chair as I walked over to the door.


“Be careful.” Cerise’s face was full of disappointment as I mumbled an ‘okay.’ I grasped the doorknob as I turned it to the left. The door opened as I let out a sigh. I stepped out of the house as I closed the door behind me. I put my hood over my head as I put my hands in my sweater’s pocket. I started to walk down the stairs; I knew where I was headed. It was cold here, it was cold everywhere. II had my head down as I kept on walking. I looked both ways before crossing the street. I turned to my left as I made it on the other sidewalk. I was running to the place I so desired on going to. My hands were out of my pockets as now I was running. I was bumping into people; they had strange looks on their faces.


It had been two hours until I had finally reached the house I dreamt for a long time. I stood before it; my chest was rising up and down. I was out of breath as I walked up the stairs of her house. My mother lived in two houses, one with my father and I and one by herself. It’s strange, I know. I stood before the door as I raised my fist and knocked on the door.


“Hold on a minute.” I heard a voice from the inside say. I step away from the door a little bit as I look around. The door opens as I look at the person staring right in front of me.


“Yes may I help you?” The woman asks me. It’s not my mother as I let out a sigh.


“Is there a woman that lives here under the name April, by chance?” I asked. The lady shakes her head as I sigh again.


“Thanks, sorry for interrupting you.” I said. I quickly turned around and headed down the stairs. I ignored her pleads of “Wait, don’t go!” or “Stop please.” I ran as fast as I could, it felt like my whole world has been crashing down. All I wanted to do was sleep.

I closed the door behind me as I took off my hood. Cerise stares at me from the living room as I leaned on the door.


“Sorry for taking so long, I got lost.” I lied.


“Sure you did” She mumbles.


“I did. I found out my mother doesn’t live in her old house anymore.” I stated.


“Why would she? She knew that you would come running to her. Asking her questions; demanding answers. It was better for her to move. We can’t just walk up to her house; she’ll just call The Victors. We have to see her at public place; where there are people around. I know this is a lousy plan Darcy, but we have no chance. The Victors are hunting us we speak for escaping here eight years ago! We can’t risk anything Darcy, just stay down.” Cerise warned. I look at her before simply letting out a huff.


“Easy for you to say; you don’t know the feeling of losing someone close to you. So before you start demanding me to stand down, you need to recognize. Cerise I’m not at my best mood right now, so I suggest you shut your mouth and know your role.” I growled at her.


“I don’t know the feeling of losing someone close to me! Are you off your nut!?!?! I’ve lost more people than you could ever imagine, Darcy! I’m tired of your disrespect; you will treat me with respect!” She was off the couch by now, yelling right in my face. I sigh as I looked down.


“I know, I’m sorry. This whole thing just has me off guard, I haven’t been myself lately.” I mumbled.


“I’m sorry too. I know I have been hard on you lately; I just want you to see your mother at the right time, right place. Everything is going to be alright.” Cerise cooed.


“Is it really? How do you know if this trip doesn’t get us killed by The Victors? How do you know that?” I asked her. She sighed as she down right on her table. She first was looking straight forward until she meet my eyes.


“I don’t.”



I pulled down the sleeves on my sweater as thousands of people scatter around Downtown. Thousands of little chatters enter my ears as I look over to Cerise. She’s far away from me, but I still found her. Her head turned to look at me as she nodded. I nodded as well as I started to walk straight forward. Cerise came charging into my room this morning; lady came up with a plan at the last minute. Basically this plan was to go downtown, and see if my mother is there. Stupid, yes. Was it thought clearly, no. Could it work, maybe. It was worth a shot, I guess.



I tried to blend in with the crowd as I looked at different meaningless faces. None of them were my mother, and none of them looked like they were happy. There was a crowd of people huddled over at this one magician. The magician was playing fire, stuff I already saw before. I watched the magician doing meaningless stuff as all of a sudden; I heard a laugh. The laugh I had urged to hear for eight years; the laugh that completed me. It felt like my breath was caught in my throat as I slowly turned around. My heart was beating fast as I saw the face I wanted to see. There was my mother as I smiled in relief. She was talking to this old guy who looked like he was in his fifties. I reacted fast as I started to run towards her. I was pushing past people as all a sudden I was pulled back by my arm. I let out a grunt as I tried to let my arm free. My arm was being tugged as I let out a scream. Everybody turned to look at me as the crowd around me formed a circle; the person and me in the middle. I turned around slowly as my eyes instantly meet the V shape on his right shoulder.


“You’re coming with me.” The man ordered.

“Darcy Brennan. Escaped from Ireland eight years ago and she’s back.” The man sat down right in front of me. The Victors took me somewhere and now I’m what seemed like a steel room. “May I ask, why did you come back when you know you’re wanted?”


“That’s not of importance, Charles.” I said. Charles chuckled as he crossed his hands together.


“Then what is, Darcy?” Charles asked.



“I don’t know.” I asked. He sighed as he leaned back into his chair.


“How does it feel?” Charles asked.


“How does what feel?” I questioned.


“To be a coward.” He concluded. I chuckled at his comment, my hands feel like they are about to fall off. The chains wrapped around my wrists were cold and hard.


“Funny, I was about to say the same thing to you.”


“Why do you have this resentment towards The Victors, are you jealous of us?” Charles asked.


“Why would I be jealous of men who have built an empire of nothing?” I questioned.


“Darcy, Darcy. That hurts from the bottom of my heart. Don’t you love seeing people who don’t deserve to live; die for the righteous of the rest of us?” He asked. I leaned forward towards him as I smirked.


“I rather watch you burn.” My smirk turns into a laugh as I felt a stinging sensation on my cheek. My head was turned to the side as I saw Charles walking.


“Your execution date is a day from tomorrow.”



They locked me into a cell, it’s quiet in here. My hands are tied up with rope as it seems like I’m a prisoner. There’s no bed here, actually there isn’t anything in here; expect for my body. The night I believe is old as I lean my head back onto the stone cold wall. To tell you the truth, I never liked the quiet. The quiet scares me because it screams the truth. I bit my lip as there is a sudden pounding on the door.


“Oh Darcy, my darling.” Charles exclaims from behind the door. I roll my eyes as the door opens. He appears with a smile on his face with his arms open. He steps into the room as the door closes carefully behind me. He sits down next to me as he puts his arms on his knees. “How are you doing, my love?” His face is hard to describe as I scoffed.


“Charles, I’m clearly having the time of my life. You’re interrupting me.” I joked. He smiles as he scoots over next to me. He looks into my eyes as I pull my head back.


“I miss you Darcy. It’s been lonely without you.” He claimed. I roll my eyes as I snickered.


”Charles, we were five. I have grown up enough to realize what kind of monster you really are.”


“Why do you assume that we’re the bad guys, Darcy? This is a million of people out there in the world, who kill just as much as us.” Charles stated.


“Oh but Charles, there is two types of monsters. One is people who have made mistakes in the past, and there is The Victors. Men who should be called boys. Charles, you could never live up the term; a man.”


“Darcy, you’re really breaking me here; darling. My heart is about to explode.” He dramatically holds his heart as I shake my head in disgust. “In the simplest terms; what does your mother mean to you?”


“Don’t bring my mother into this, Charles.” I warned.


“I just want to know, in the simplest most define terms; what does your mother mean to you?” Charles asked again.


“More than you could ever possibly imagine.” I whispered.


“You know, it would be a shame Darcy if your mother doesn’t remember you. Wouldn’t that?” Charles asked.


“What do you want from me, Charles?” I asked him.


“You. I want you to be by my side every day and I will make sure your mother would remember you. All you have to say is I love you.” Charles offered.


“Never.” I said quickly. Charles licked his lips as he stood up.


“Fine by me.” The sound of the door slamming behind Charles is loud and it replays in my mind over and over again. I have to get out of here soon or I’m dead meat.






-------



The guards had just informed that in 10 minutes, I would be brought out onto the stage in front of a thousand people and die. To say I’m nervous is an understatement. I’m simply petrified, to say the least. I have to escape, I have to do something. Maybe when the guards come and get me; I could run out the door. No, they’ll catch me before I knew it. Come on think Darcy, think. I know! When the guards come and get you, you do what the Brennans’ do best. We fight for everything we love, and we never give up. I licked my lips as I let out a sigh. Buzzing sounds from outside of my cell happens as the door of my cell opens. The guards walk over to me, and roughly bring me up to my feet. My feet are unchained as I kicked them both in the gut. They let out a deep grunt as I elbow the guard to my left in the nose. I finish him off with a kick to the head; the guard is knocked out cold. The other guard starts to hit me as I bite his ear. He lets out a scream as I kicked him in the throat. I take this chance and ran out the door. I ran down the hallway as I hear the guards screaming and chasing after me. I pick up with my pace as what has felt like years; I’m finally free.

“They had me in this cell Cerise and Charles offered me a deal he thought I couldn’t refuse.” I said to Cerise. She grabs the scissors and tries to take the rope off my wrists.


“What deal was that Darcy?” She asked. She cut the rope as it fell to the ground. I let out a sigh in relief as I hold my wrists.


“Be with him for the rest of my life and have my mother remember me or death immediately and my mother wouldn’t even know I was here. I chose the second one, Cerise.” I stated.


“Why, Darcy?” She asked.


“I don’t want to be with Charles, I despise boys like him. Notice I said boys not men.” I stated.


“What ever happened between you two?” She questioned. I chuckled to myself as I put my hands on my knees. I look across from me as I shook my head.


“What didn’t happen? We were five and he had this huge crush on me. His father at the time was the leader of The Victors. His father died when we were nine years old. You’re not the only person who knows stuff. The Victors decided that their new leader would be a nine year old you guessed it; Charles. As you know we escaped this place a year earlier, but by that time; Charles father filled Charles’s head with lies. And the rest is history.” I concluded. She sighs as she runs her hand through her hair.


“Are you in a mood to go to an orchestra event?”




--------




I sat down as my hands grasped tightly on the arm rests. There must have been at least two thousand people down there and about 100 up here. My eyes wandered around the crowd of people as I looked at the people murmuring stuff to their neighbors. I licked my lips as I leaned forward in my chair. The both of us are dressed up in these fancy dresses; quite horrible dresses to be honest. Cerise told me that my mother would be here in this building tonight, and here we are. Our seats are on the top balcony as I licked my lips.


“You see her?” I asked Cerise.


“No.” She whispered. I searched and searched until I let out a sigh and leaned back into my chair. Cerise put her hand on my shoulder as I looked at her.


“We will find her Darcy, trust me.” Cerise reassured. I looked back at the crowd as I sighed again.


“I sure hope so.” I mumbled to myself. Cerise’s hand left my shoulder as suddenly the whole place went silent. The red curtain slowly went up as the musicians sat there; ready to play. It was silent for a few minutes as suddenly the spotlight shined in the middle. The sound of heels came into my ears as a woman stood in the middle of the stage. She put her hands together as the violin players picked up their bows and gracefully started to play. The trumpet players followed right after them as did everything else. The conductor stood in the middle as the woman in the spotlight moved around to the side. The spotlight followed her as music played throughout the arena. I closed my eyes as I let the music go into my ears. I smiled as the beautiful sound harmony brought peace to me. I forgot about everything that happened to me and just let myself go to the music.



I opened my eyes as the big screens zoomed in closely to the violin players. The music slowed down as the woman in the spotlight started to sing. I watched her closely as the music started to speed up a bit. I got lost in the music and by the looks of the people all around me; they did too. I looked back at the lady; it was breathtaking on how beautiful she looked. She had this long black dress that fit her body perfectly. She had dark red lipstick on as her hair was curled. She had a little tattoo on her hand as little jewels were close to left eye. She had sliver glitter hoops on as her voice was angelic. The musicians were dressed up in black as the conductor’s back was facing the audience. Lights were place on the stage and went as the background. The lights went up and down; following the conductor’s hand movements. The lights were the icy on the cake as I myself was whole.



I looked over at Cerise as she wasn’t calm. Her face expression went blank as the music sped up more. The music went faster and faster as the lady was singing a long note. Everything around me seemed to be spinning in fast motion. Everything was crazy as all of a sudden; a gunshot occurred. The music stopped as so did the lady. Gasps exited people’s mouth as everybody started to freak out. Charles had the gun pointed to the celling as he looked around. Everybody quiet down as he put the gun back in his pocket. My heart beat went faster as I looked over to Cerise.


“Stay calm, he wouldn’t suspect anything if you give him a reason to. Let’s see what he has to say.” I nodded as I looked back at Charles.


“Sorry to interrupt ladies and gentleman, but an issue has been brought to me. Darcy Brennan has escaped Alesund with her mother Cerise Brennan and are in this building right this moment.” He sat on one of the ledges of a chair and crossed his hands together. I looked over to Cerise as she shook her head.


“He only said that because he wants these people to believe; I’m your mother. You know the real truth Darcy, you figured it all out.” Cerise whispered with her Irish accent running thick. I nodded as I turned back to Charles. He sighed as he looked around.


“They are a danger to you and everybody in Ireland right now. She needs to be brought to me or Ireland that you grew to love will burn.” Charles stated. A man who looks like he is fifties stands up with his gun aiming towards Charles. Charles takes notice and shoots the man in his heart. The man falls to ground; poor man was killed instantly.


“What are you going to do to her if we so happen to bring her to you?” A person from the audience asked. I tensed as my heart was beating fast. Charles looks to man as he puts his gun back in his pocket.


“Relax; I won’t let him lay a finger on you.” Cerise whispered.


“That will be up to me.” Charles stated. He looked all round until his eyes met mine. My heart was beating fast as he smirked. He stood up as he looked back to the woman.


“Sorry for this interruption, you may continue.” Charles nodded to the woman as he looked back at the audience.


“Darcy where ever you are, I will find you and you will be mine.” Charles stated as he existed the building. I let out a sigh of relief as I closed my eyes. I didn’t move at all as I felt Cerise’s cold fingertips touch my shoulder.


“We can stay if you want.” Cerise whispered. I shook my head as I stood up. I looked down at her as she stared back at me.


“I just want to go to sleep.” I whispered. I turned my head as I started to walk. I hurried down the stairs as suddenly I was grabbed by the wrist. My head shot back up as a man in his late 30’s stood up. He leaned down closer to me as my heart started to beat faster.


“You better look those Victors in their eyes and smile at them. Darcy, give them hell.” The man whispered to me. He gave me a pat on the shoulder and smiled. I smiled weakly as I nodded my head. He let go of my wrist and sat back down. I hurried down the stairs as Cerise hurried along with me. I ran through the halls with Cerise following behind me. I felt everybody’s eyes on me, but I didn’t care; I just kept running. It felt as if I wasn’t getting enough oxygen, because I couldn’t breathe for anything. My heart was about to rip out of my chest as I pushed the glass door open. It was cold as I dropped to my knees. I put my hands on my neck as I leaned down to the ground. Charles’s eyes replayed in my mind, he’s cold eyes met mine. I was breathing heavily as I felt a hand on my back. I gasped loudly as I look up; to meet Cerise. I wrap my arms her neck as I hold onto her. I cry into her shoulder as she holds me. I was crying uncontrollably as she rubs my back.


“I won’t let him hurt you, I promise.” Cerise reassured me. I cried harder as I hold on to her. Cerise lets out a shaky sigh as I felt drops of water on my hair. I look up at Cerise as I see the tears coming down her face. She drops her hands as she puts it on her side.


“I’m sorry, I just… Just forget about it. Let’s go home.” She helped me up as I looked at her; nervous for her. She gave me a light nod as she began walking. I pause there for a moment as she just continues walking. I watch her walk away as I let my head go down. I start walking behind her as I put my hands to my side.

The morning light shines into the house as I lean in the doorway of Cerise’s room. Her back is facing me as her body in buried in the covers.


“Cerise...” I whisper. She stirs a little bit as she sighs.


“Yes, Darcy?” She replies. I step into her room as I sit on her bed. I put the picture of a young girl next to her.


“Who is she? I found that picture in the room I’m staying.” She looks up from where is lying and sits up. She grabs the picture frame as tears fall from her eyes. She lets out a shaky breath as she puts her hands on the picture.


“That was my daughter. She was only four when Charles shot her right in the heart. My baby girl never had the chance to grow up.” She cries. She puts the frame down as she puts her hands to her face.


“I’m so sor...”


“Don’t Darcy. I’ll be fine, let’s just focus on getting to your mother. I got a call from a close friend, saying that your mother would be at the mall this afternoon. And you’re going to meet her, for real this time. You just have to walk in there, and her face will light up like the sun on a hot day.” Cerise said. She wipes her tears as I wrap my arms around her stomach.


“Thank you so much, Cerise.”



We both stand in front of the mall as my heart is beating fast. Cerise patted me on the back as I smiled weakly at her.

“Go on.” Cerise said. I walk towards the entrance of the mall. I grasped the door knob as I took a deep breath. Thousands of voices entered my ear as I closed the door behind me. My heart was beating fast as I put my hands on my jacket’s pocket. Objects were displayed on tables as my eyes wondered around. There she so happened to be as tears entered my eyes. I looked down as I started to walk. She looked different, like I never met her before. Her long brown hair was cut short right by her shoulders. My eyes wondered down her mouth as she smiled and this time it was real.



I moved along as I stopped at a table with jewelry. My fingertips gazed over the jewelry as I turned my head to look at her. My lips curved into a smile as my mother laughed. I remember hearing her laugh as I was little. I smiled to myself a little bit as I looked back to the jewelry. I dropped the piece of jewelry as I continued my way. I put my hand back into my pocket as I walked slowly. My eyes wandered to the little kid next to my mother as I raised an eyebrow. My smile kind of weakened as I looked at the kid. Everything about her matched my mother, brown hair, grey eyes, pink lips, and soft pink cheeks. My heart stopped when I saw the little tiny bracelet on the little kid’s arm. My right hand rolled up my jacket’s sleeve as I looked down at my arm as a tear rolled down from my right eye.


“Darcy look what I got you.” My mother patted the spot next to me, holding a box in her hand. I had a curious look on my face as I walked around to her gracefully. I took a deep breath as I hauled myself on the couch. I put my hands in my lap as I bit my lip. My grey eyes went big in curiosity as I looked up at her. Her lips formed into a grin as she put the box on my lap. I looked down at, then back at her. She nodded, her grin growing by the minute. I opened the box slowly as a gold bracelet shinned. My little tiny fingers picked up the bracelet as my lips formed into a smile. I looked up at my mother as she grabbed the bracelet from my hand. She grabbed my left hand as she put the bracelet on me.


“What is this for?” I asked quietly.

“Because you’re my daughter, and this bracelet means that you are my daughter. You are special to me. Only you will have this, Darcy. I love you.”


My lips quivered as I pushed down my sleeve. My heart was beating slower as if I wasn’t even alive at all. There was a lump in my throat as more tears fell from my eyes. I wiped them fast as I took a deep breath. I glanced over to their direction as I stared at them blankly. My mother’s eyes seemed to glow while looking down at her daughter. The sound of my heart breaking in a million pieces was loud as can be as more tears fell from my eyes. I walked slowly to the next side as they got up from the seat and started to walk towards my direction. I debated if I meant anything to her, if she even remembered me. I looked at her, her smile, her happiness in general. She was happy, and it was all because of that little girl. She was the reason behind my mother’s happiness, probably the reason why my mother had her head held up high. I could never built my mother up, always built her down.



They were getting closer to me as my vision blurred a little bit. Tears were falling down from my eyes as I looked down at the ground. The crowd of people’s talking soon faded away and it felt like my mother, her daughter, and I were the only people in the room. Everyone was just slowly faded away as the sound of my heart beating was like a hollow drum. It was loud as more tears were slowly escaping from my eyes. I sniffled as my feet moved slowly. I traveled thousands of miles and miles, just to see my mother’s reaction when she saw me. I scarified everything for her, and she didn’t even notice me. I was invisible to her as they got closer. My mother’s eyes meet mine as my heart was beating to the max. Our shoulders brushed together as I closed my eyes. Tears came down my face and it was hard to breathe. I realized what I let go in that moment and it was a hard thing to do. In that moment, I had let my mother go. Left her with her happy self as the tears were overflowing and I felt numb.



I turned around and started to walk towards the exit. I open the door and it closes behind me.


“DARCY!” Cerise screams my name as my head towards to her direction. Charles has guards holding Cerise, her arms behind her back.


“Darcy baby, nice to see you again.” Charles smiled.


“You let her go.” I charged at Charles as I pounded on his chest. His arms wrap around my waist as he holds me tightly.


“You’re dead. Both of you are dead.” He whispers in my ear.

Thousands of eyes stare at Cerise and I as we were brought on the stage. We forced down on our knees as The Victors load the stage. Charles stands in the middle of us as I turned to look at Cerise. Cerise looks at me as a tear rolls down from my eye.


“I’m so sorry, Cerise. I never meant to put you through all of this.” I whisper.


“I don’t regret anything Darcy, I honestly don’t.” She whispers back. I turned to look at the crowd, their eyes are full of sadness.


“Welcome ladies and gentleman, today is the killing of Cerise and Darcy. Who should we start with first?” Charles asks. The crowd stays silent as Charles shrugs.


“Let’s start with Cerise.” Charles loads up the gun as he walks behind Cerise. He points the gun behind her head and waits.


“Any last words?” Charles asked.


“Yeah, screw you.” Cerise stated. Charles is fuming with anger as he pulls the trigger. I turned my head as Cerise’s body goes lump.


“Now Darcy.” Charles said. I look down at the ground as I felt the gun from the back of my head.


“Let’s hear your famous last words, love.” I look at the crowd as a poem I read on the internet comes into my mind.


“Farewell my friends! It was beautiful as long as it lasted; the journey of my life. I have no regrets whatsoever said; the pain I’ll leave behind. Those dear hearts who love and care...
And the strings pulling at the heart and soul... The strong arms that held me up when my own strength; let me down. At the turning of my life I came across. Good friends, friends who stood by me even when time raced me by. Farewell, farewell my friends... I smile and bid you goodbye. No, shed no tears for I need them not; all I need is your smile. If you feel sad, do think of me. For that’s what I’ll like when you live in the hearts of those you love. Remember me.” The crowd claps my speech as those for the last words I ever said. I soon hear the trigger being pull as the whiteness takes over me. ~



The End.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.