The Demons | Teen Ink

The Demons

November 5, 2013
By Kels323655 SILVER, Exline, Iowa
More by this author
Kels323655 SILVER, Exline, Iowa
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Someone had to tell her to stop. Someone had to stop her from what she was doing. Zayla stood over the body in the clammy cool air around her. She could hear the blood dripping down her knife. She could hear someone’s footsteps walking down the hall. She knew who it was for she was the one that knew what was going on with Zayla.
“Zayla are you down here?” A soft whisper came.

You could smell the blood that was coming off of the dead body along with Zayla’s blood stained clothes. Gina came into sight with her tall figure standing in the path way.
“Zayla are you ok?” Gina cried out as if she didn’t want Zayla to answer.
Gina could see the sharp blood stained knife in the moonlight shining right on it. She could smell aroma of deadly stench coming from Zayla’s direction. Zayla froze as if a cold breeze rushed through her. You could feel the silence in the air as Zayla turned around slowly to Gina. To Gina horror she saw the body. She couldn’t move as the one person she loved laid dead, eyes still open, looking at her.
Zayla was only 12 years old when her parents started to neglect her. Her mom started to do drug and would stay out late. Her father was the same but he started to drink more often than he should. Whenever they came home you could smell sweat, cheap perfume or clone, and beer. They wouldn’t play with her when they were sober. Zayla started talking to herself like normal kids did but, this was different though. Everywhere she would go she would say, “Tony don’t say that. Tony I can’t do that.” Her parents started to wonder when Zayla kept blaming him for breaking everything her parents owned.
Two years had passed and Zayla was now 14 years old. Things got even worse around the house. Zayla’s parents kept blaming her for her misbehavior around the home. The only real friend Zayla had was her best friend Gina. Gina knew about Tony and the others that had joined over the years. She couldn’t explain where they came from but, she knew something was changing inside of Zayla as the days went by.
When Zayla had her 15 birthday only one person showed up. Gina sat near Zayla as she was getting ready to blow out the candles. Gina could her Zayla say in soft whispers to herself, “How can I kill them. How would I clean up the mess? I don't know if I can.”
Gina was in horror as she said those things. Gina could feel her whole body shake in fear as she sat there looking at her friend. When Zayla's parents walked in before she could blow out the candles. They all sang the birthday song to her. In a big puff Zayla blew out her 15 candles. As she was done she looked slowly up at her parents with an evil glare in her eyes. It felt like the whole room froze in fear of what Zayla would do.
Zayla slowly got up as she grabbed the sharp knife off the table. Her parents couldn't move as their daughter walked over to them. You could smell the fear on everyone in the room, you could feel that clammy cool air breeze blowing through the open windows. With one quick movement Zayla jumped on her parents. You could hear someone stabbing a slice of meat or cutting the meat. Blood poured everywhere like a fountain. You could barely hear the parents’ screams as Zayla kept stabbing them.
When Zayla was all done she slowly turned to Gina. Zayla's clothes where covered in her parents blood along with her hands. She slowly lifted her finger to her mouth and made a shushing sound towards Gina to keep quiet of what had happened. Zayla got up and cleaned off the knife burned her cloths and made it look like her father and mother had been murdered by someone else. She hid the knife away for no one to find it beside her or Gina.
When morning came and Zayla and Gina got home from school they had seen police outside of Zayla's house. She turned to Gina and said in a quiet voice, “Don't tell anyone what happened last night. When you talk to the police tell them they were alive when you left last night.” Gina shook her head to show she was in agreement.
As they approached Zayla's house she looked frightened at the sight of the police there. Gina knew it was all an act and she also knew if she didn't play along she might be the next one dead. The police took Zayla to the side telling her that her parents had been murder. Zayla dropped to her knees crying her eyes out as if she never knew this ever happened to her parents. She walked into the house alone so she could say goodbye to her parents. As she entered the cold house with the smell of blood lingering in she went right over to her parents’ body and started to let out a small little giggle. She got right next to them and softly spoke as if they could still hear her, “You should have been there for me. You should have paid attention to your little girl.” When Zayla spoke it didn't sound like her voice it sound heavier and darker as if someone had taken over her body.

As Zayla was inside Gina got question since the neighbors said it was Zayla's 15th birthday party last night and that she was there. Gina told the police exactly what Zayla told her to say to them. Of course the police needed to search her back pack just in case she wasn't telling the whole truth about what happen. The police also searched Zayla's backpack and found nothing either. When Zayla returned it looked like she had been crying in there the whole time about her parents horrible death. The police called Zayla's grandma for she needed a place to stay.

Zayla’s grandmother was a very sweet old lady and would spoil her as often as she could. When Zayla turned 16 she invited the girls that she hated to her sweet sixteen. Gina also arrived since she was her best friend. The girls were interested since Zayla had a big house and they heard the party was going to be amazing. As the girls laid down to sleep Zayla sat on her bed watching the 5 girls sleep with Gina by her side. In small whisper to herself she was say, “I got to kill. How do I do it without waking the others?”

Gina sat there looking at her friend as she went over to her closet to get the same knife that she killed her parents with. Zayla slowly walked to the girls. She would bend down to where her face next to theirs. She put her hand over each girl so they wouldn’t scream. She would cut their throats first and then she would stab then as they suffered. Gina watched in horror as she watched her best friend kill people again. As Zayla reached the last one she through her up and slammed her into the wall. As she slit her throat and the girl feel to the floor as she died a slow painful death. That moment is where Zayla had completely changed as she watched the girl die. Gina sat on Zayla’s bed in a dazed on what just had happened.

The next two days went by and Gina didn’t hear from Zayla or seen her at school on Monday. Everyone was talking about the news report that was on that morning. The new report stated that 5 girls bodies were found all chopped up and they can’t find out who did it or who the girls were. Gina knew at that moment what Zayla had been doing in the last couple days. When Gina came home she found a note folded up on her pillow. The note read, “Gina I’m sorry that I haven’t gotten a hold of you in the last couple of days. I have changed when I saw that girl die like that. I knew that I can’t stop killing people. Gina you’re the only one that knows about the others. Tony is telling me to leave to keep me safe. I’ll try and keep in contact with you. Don’t come looking for me. I don’t want to hurt you. Gina you’re the only one who knows what wrong with me. I must leave. Goodbye Gina.”

Gina had tear filled eyes as she read the last words that she might ever see from Zayla. She folded the paper and hid away so no would ever find it. Gina put away all of the pictures of her and Zayla. She didn’t want to see the pictures for it is hurting her now that her best friend is now gone for good. Ever since that night that Zayla found out her parents neglected her, she was changed, she would always talk to herself, and she wasn’t sweet anymore. Gina knew that something had entered Zayla and sucked the good side out and then there was now an evil Zayla and this Tony guy. As she sat down on her bed she kept thinking where would Zayla go?

Years had passed and Gina was now 21 years of age. Every year on the day of Zayla’s disappearance she would she gets out the note along with the pictures that she had packed away. It’s been 3 months since the last text that Gina had gotten from her. She reads it every day hoping to get a reply back. She thought that every now and then she could feel someone watching her in the shadows. For about a month now Gina brother had been gone and she has a feeling that Zayla might have something to deal with it.

In a state over in a basement is where Zayla lived out the last 5 years of her life. There were two sections to the basement. One part was her home and down a secret pathway as the cold, dark, and clammy part where she would take guys there. When she would bring guys home and take them down that pathway, all the hope was gone along with their souls. Zayla would torture her victims along with killing them and watching them die. Every time you would enter the path way you can feel the freezing air and the smell of blood. Every day before she would go out she would yell across the room as if there someone there. “Tony I’m not going to hurt her! Tony no!” The neighbors would complain to one another but no one would go down there to tell her to shut it.

Every night Zayla would dress up and head out to the bar or somewhere she can find a guy. As the night had gotten cold Zayla couldn’t find anyone to bring home. She found a bench to sit down. It was about midnight when a guy finally sat down next to her. Zayla slowly turned to him and saw this strong structure sitting next to her. As she turned more towards him she could see his face and his green eyes looking at her in the corner of the guys’ eyes. When the guys turned his face to hers she knew who he was. Staring at her was Gina’s twin brother Matt.

Zayla quickly turned away so he wouldn’t realizes that is her. When she started to get up he grabbed her arm and sat her down.
“You’re Zayla. My sisters best friend.” Matt said in a voice so calming that Zayla started to listen.
“Yyyyeeeeesssss. How on the earth did you find me?”
Matt gave that half smile to her, “Zayla you have to remember I know how you are.”

Zayla looked into his eyes and she could see the past coming back to her in a second. She saw herself the first time at Gina’s house in Gina’s room. As she was waiting for Gina to get so she can talk to her. With tear filled eyes she could hear someone walk through the door. As she looked up she saw Gina’s twin brother Mathew. As he went to her, he placed his hand on her cheek and whipped away the tears. “Now a pretty face like yours don’t need to be crying.” Mathew said in a calm voice.

Zayla smiled as he said that. When she looked up she saw her best friend walk into the room. Mathew was getting ready to stand up when he whispered into Zayla’s ear and handed her a sheet of paper. When he left Zayla looked at the sheet of paper with his cell phone number. Underneath the numbers in black ink was a small note that read, “Text or call me when you need to please.”

Zayla went back to the present where she was still staring at Matt’s eyes.
“That was the day that I told your sister that my parents were doing drug and alcohol.” Zayla said as her hand started to shake and Tony start to speak to her.
“Kill him girl. Take him back to your place now!”
“Why don’t we go back to my place Mathew? It’s getting cold out and late.”
Mathew agreed to go back to her place. When Zayla wasn’t looking Mathew go out his phone and sent Gina a text. Mathew didn’t know about Tony in her head all he knew was the pain she was going through along with where she would have gone in the last 5 years.
As they approached the building Zayla had a smile on her face as she led him to her apartment in the basement. As she unlocked her door she could hear Tony right beside her, “Good girl. Now get him drunk or unaware of what is going on.”
Zayla turned the door knob to her apartment. As she stood there she could see Tony standing at the end of the room. She saw his dark, deep, lifeless eyes looking at her. Tony had this wicked smile on his face as if he knew what she was going to do next to Mathew. “Mathew why don’t you go into the bathroom and wash up.”
As Mathew went to find the restroom Zayla went over to where Tony was standing. When she reached out to see if he was real her hand hit his hard chest. Tony started to laugh as if this whole thing was a joke to him. Zayla stood there and smiled to herself. “Well it’s good to finally see that you are able to make a solid form.”
“Yes, but you are the only one to see me right now. Now back to business I want you to kill him Zayla. Bring his sister here and kill her to.”

Zayla stood there and thought of what he just said. “I can’t kill me best friend Tony. You know that I can’t”

Tony lifted his hand and smacked her on her face. “You will trust me you will.”

At that moment Mathew walked into the room. “Who were you just talking to?”
“I wasn’t talking to anyone. How about I get you a drink.” Before he could answer Zayla went to the kitchen and got two glasses and filled them up with some pop. Tony stood right next to Zayla as she poured the drink and put the pill in to make Mathew pass out. She turned to Tony to see if he was satisfied. He had a glow in his eye that he was happy about what happened. She went back into where Mathew was and handed him the drink. As he drank she could see the pill going down his throat. Within 5 minutes and he was out.

Gina’s phone rang as she was entering her apartment. She quickly grabbed it and saw that it was just a text from her brother. Her hand started to shake as she read the text, “Hey sis I just wanted to let you know I have been gone in the last month to go find Zayla. I found her! I hope to bring her home soon to you. Bye sis love you see you soon.”

Within that moment Gina knew that if she didn’t leave right now her brother might be dead. She tried to give him a call as the last ring hit there was an answer. “Hello.”
“Mathew, its’ me please tell me where you are. You are not safe with her. Get out of there right now!” Gina waited for an answer and all she heard was Zayla’s voice laughing and then there was a click. Gina stared at her phone wishing she didn’t hear that laugh. She rushed up stairs to get packed as fast as she could. She rushed down to the police station to trace where the phone was located at. Once she got the location she got a plan ticket and was off to where Zayla was at.

When Zayla heard Mathews phone ring she looked at the caller i.d and seen that Gina was calling. Before it went to voicemail Zayla answered, “Hello.” She could hear Gina talking as if Zayla was Mathew. Zayla started to laugh at what Gina was saying and then hung up the phone. Zayla looked at Mathew’s body on the floor passed out. She smiled and grabbed one of his legs as Tony grabbed the other one. They dragged Mathew’s body to the cold room where Zayla kills her victims. Why Mathew was passed out Zayla tied him up to a post. As he stood there she started to heat a needle. When she was done she slowly walked out to Mathew and slowly poked the needle into his skin. As she put the needle in his skin Mathew woke up and started to scream. “Cover his mouth right now Zayla!” Tony screamed to her.

Zayla did as she was told and put a cloth over his mouth. Mathew still screamed as the needle kept going deeper into his skin. He took a whiff and he could smell his flesh burning along with the blood. He looked around what his eyes saw made him regret finding Zayla. Every thought went through his head about the past. Zayla’s parents murder, the 5 girls that were found chopped up, and Zayla disappearing. Mathew now knew that Zayla was a murder. Zayla smiled knowing that he saw all the dead body and that he could now smell them to. “Now you know don’t you pretty boy.”
“You want to know something Mathew? I did like you back then and I still do. I don’t think Tony will allow me to date people. I have to keep safe Mathew. Isn’t that what you wanted all along?” Zayla was walking around him now as she spoke to him making sure he wasn’t trying to leave.
Zayla went over to the table were all the tools where at. She grabbed the same knife she had used when she killed everyone else. She went over to Mathew and cut a gash in his leg. “With me liking you I’m going to keep you and torture you.”
Zayla left after she fixed the gash and went to the living room. She sat there in the living staring at the wall and she fell asleep. Mathew tried to get free from the ropes around his wrist. He could feel the blood dripping off of his wrist from the rope. Every time he moved the needle inside of him would start to fill him with pain. Tears filled his eyes and he knew that his life would be gone by the end of the week.
When Zayla woke up the nest day she called the airport making sure Gina would get here by the end of the week to save her brother. As the flight person agreed since Zayla has her ways with words she hung up the phone and went to check on Mathew. She saw that his gash was infected and she gave this evil smile at a job well done. She also looked at his wrist and could tell he was trying the escape. “Well then you want to escape then? How about I untie you and put cuffs on.”
Within one quick movement Zayla untied Mathew and then slapped the cuffs on tight that he couldn’t escape and if he did then his wrist would be bloody. Zayla went over to the table again and started to warm up the hot iron. Once the iron was hot and steamy she went over to Mathew and laid it right on his gash. Mathew screamed in pain when he felt the hot iron on his gash. Zayla took off the cloth. “Why are you doing this Zayla.”
“Why? Why am I doing this Mathew? The reason that I am doing is this is because I’m messed up in the head. I have a demon controlling me the old me is gone. She died a long time ago Mathew and she is never coming back.” Zayla slammed down the hot iron.
“You don’t have to listen to him Zayla. I want the one that I liked a while back ago. The one that was my friend.” Mathew looked at her with his green eyes hopping she would snap out of it.

Zayla walked over to him and slapped him across the face. She stood there with tears flowing down her face. Tony saw what was going on and snapped into acting. “Zayla leave him go away go relax.”
“Zayla you’re fighting I know you are. Come out of hit right now!” Mathew screamed and tried to get free. The metal started to go into his wrist causing him to bleed even worse now.

Zayla looked up at him and then at Tony. She slowly got up and got the knife. She put it to her arm and cut her arm open. She watched as her blood flowed out. Tony rushed over to her and tried to stop the bleeding. Mathew watched in daze as he saw Zayla’s arm lift in the air by its self. “He’s here isn’t he? He’s helping you right now. Zayla answer me.”

Zayla slowly looked at him with her eyes still with tears. She put her finger up to her mouth and made a shushing sound. “He will hurt. Don’t upset him even more Mathew.” Zayla went over to him and covered his mouth again.

A few days had passed and Zayla had more marks on her arms than ever. Every time she would hurt Mathew she would hurt herself. She knew Gina would be here tonight she could feel it. It was about 9 at night when Mathew had gotten free from the cuffs. He tried to be silent as he could. When he turned around their standing right in front of him was Zayla with the sharp knife in the moonlight. Mathew took a run for it down the pathway since he knew at the end there would be an exit.

Gina got out of the taxi at the address that she had traced the phone. Before she entered the house she dialed 911 telling them what was going on and that she needed someone there in 10 minutes. When she shut her phone she slowly walked to the bottom apartment. She slowly turned the knob hoping that she wasn’t waiting for her. When Gina opened the door it was silent and empty. She slowly walked in watching everywhere making sure Zayla wouldn’t jump out in front of her. Gina searched ever room looking for her and Mathew. When she found the door that lead to the room. She fallowed to where Mathew had been tied up. She looked around and saw all the dead body’s that Zayla had killed over in the years. In a soft whisper to herself she said, “Zayla how could you do this. How could you kill all these people who did nothing to you?”

Gina saw the table and the blood that was on the ground where Zayla would have cut herself. She looked around looking for any clues. When she hit a corner with her eyes she saw the way that they would have went. She slowly walked down the long path fallowing the blood that could be from Mathew or Zayla. As she reached the end of the hallway she saw a figure at the end with a knife in her hand. She quietly called out to the figure. She then stood at the entryway and say Mathew lying dead, his eyes still open, looking at her. Gina cried in horror to her dead twin brother. Zayla slowed turned around and saw the knife that was covered in her brothers’ blood. “Zayla you need to stop this at once.” Gina looked horrified at her brother dead body. She kept seeing the blood dripping off the knife. Gina went right up next to her brother. Feeling his cold hands that once were full of warmth. Gina laid a hand on his cheek and looking in his lifeless eyes. She got up and looked at Zayla. In a calm voice Zayla finally responed.
“I can’t Gina. You know I can’t.” Zayla said as she slowly walked towards Gina.
“Kill her Zayla. She knows everything. Kill her now!” Tony yelled in Zayla’s ear as loud as he could. Zayla nodded her head in agreement on killing her. Gina saw the kill in Zayla’s eyes as she kept getting closer and closer to her. Gina turned around and took off down the pathway hoping that Zayla wouldn’t get close to her. When Gina turned around Zayla was nowhere to be seen. This made Gina’s heart pound so much she could hear it in her ears. When she hit the living room she crashed into a hard figure. She started to scream as if this figure was Zayla. When the figure grabbed Gina by the arm she would a deep voice say, “It’s alright Miss. We have your friend in custody.”

Gina looked up and she saw a guy in a police uniform holding onto her. She looked behind him and saw that Zayla was in custody. When Gina walked outside she went over to Zayla to say her last goodbyes. Zayla looked into Gina’s eyes and with an evil smile her hands were free. In that moment Gina saw another man with deep, dark, and lifeless eyes looking at her. Tony smiled as well as if he was the one who set Zayla free. With horror in her eyes as she Zayla whip out the knife she couldn’t believe what happened next. It all seemed as everything went in slow motion. The cops yelling for Gina to get back away from Zayla. She saw with her own eyes her best friend take the same knife that she killed everyone with go right up next to her. Zayla turned the knife around and slowly slid the knife across her throat so deep that her blood started to poor out. Tony launched out to stop from Zayla falling. When Zayla hit the ground she was motionless. She wasn’t breathing, she wasn’t even blinking. Tony looked at her. “Zayla you can’t go. You must finish the work that I have for you.”
Gina looked down at her friend who was now dead. Gina slowly turned to the officers with Zayla blood on her and fell down to her knees crying for she had lost two people that she had loved dearly. Gina looked up at Tony and saw the anger in his eyes. With one quick movement he disappeared.

A few weeks had passed and it was now Zayla’s funeral. Gina was the only there who stood at the grave side where Zayla’s coffin was. She could feel her and her twin brother standing right next to her holding hands as if nothing would have happened they could have been together. Before Zayla left the grave yard she pulled something out of her coat and got down on her knees. With the cool air blowing on her she buried the same knife that Zayla had used to kill everyone. In a soft whisper Gina said as if her best friend was listening, “I know you’re going to need this in the afterlife my dear friend.”

Gina slowly got up and walked away from the grave yard. As she got into the car to leave the sate she knew she what she leaving behind. As the taxi started to move forward she thought to herself, “Goodbye Zayla. I know you were a monster the day that I met you. I knew the day you would of gotten caught you were going to kill you self. My dear friend I’ll never forget you along with you my dear brother.” Gina looked back at the grave yard as she said her last goodbyes in her head. She turned to the cab driver and with her surprise she saw Tony there driving her away. Gina tried to look away from the review mirror where she saw the deep dark blue eyes. Within one slow motion Gina felt a gust of wind fly back at her. When she looked at the driver she saw that Tony wasn’t there anymore. With her reflection in the mirror you could see the dark deep blue eyes looking at the cab driver. An evil smile came across her face and they drove off.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.