What Lies Beneath | Teen Ink

What Lies Beneath

April 16, 2013
By AshleyMarie95, North Baltimore, Ohio
More by this author
AshleyMarie95, North Baltimore, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

(Ava)
When the final bell rang that day, I nearly leaped out of my seat. I may have been a little too excited about spending time with someone that I had just met a few hours ago, but I couldn't help myself. My inner little kid was coming out because of all the excitement I was feeling. The butterflies in my stomach felt like they were going to fly right out of me. I couldn’t tell you the last time that had happened.
Even though eating pizza and walking around town was all Mason and I did, it was the most fun I had had in a long time. I mean sure, I have fun hanging out with my other friends, but none of them made me feel as special as Mason did. I had only known him for a day, but after that night, it felt like we had known each other for nearly a lifetime.
After that night, Mason and I began spending a lot more time together. We always had a blast and it seemed like we were smiling nonstop. My smile would continue even after I got home, and was all alone. I could feel myself starting to fall for this guy, and I was hoping he was going to be there to catch me. This was a feeling I had never experienced before, and I hoped it would only grow stronger. I have never wanted anything more in my life. I couldn’t stop thinking about him, even if I tried. I had always wished that my real life would be just like a fairy tale. With the way things were going with Mason, there was a chance that I would get the happily ever after I had been searching for.



By the time senior year was over, Mason and I were an extremely happy couple, and very much in love with each other. I had never imagined that my life would be this way by the time that I graduated high school. I finally found someone that I was able to trust with my whole heart. I was even able to tell him about my parents’ divorce and the toile it took on me. I have never been around a stable relationship, so I thought it was inevitable for them to end badly. I figured that if all relationships came to an end, why should I waste my time on one? That was until I met Mason. He changed everything, but he still needed to know about this because in the back of my mind I was still worried that it would happen to Mason and me. He was very understanding when I told him all of this. He never ceases to amaze me with the words he says to me. I will never forget what he said after I told him.
“I know we’re still young, but if this relationship lasts for a long time, which I am hoping that it does, I will not let that happen to us. I will work for this, no matter what it takes. I really like you, and that will not go away, no matter what. Your past doesn’t define who you are. Everyone has one; you just have to be strong enough to move past it. You’re from a broken family, but you’ve survived, unlike most people. I know it’s not easy for you, but you will make it through this, I promise. I will be there for you whenever you need me. Always remember that,” promised Mason.
Knowing that he felt this way made me fall even more for him. Hearing those words gave me hope that my relationship wouldn't end up like my parents, and that there was a chance for a relationship to last forever. I would do whatever it took to keep my relationship strong because I cared so much about Mason and I don't ever want to lose him. He was my rock, the person I could go to with anything and he would always have the perfect thing to say. In that moment, I realized that I was beginning to fall in love with Mason. Just knowing that he was going to be there for me, whenever I needed him meant the world to me. I was on cloud nine, with no intentions of coming down.



Every morning I would send a text message to Mason as soon as I woke up. It had become a daily routine of ours.
“Good morning babe, I love you,” it would usually say. These text messages were always a great way to start my day. I knew that I would get one back from Mason shortly after I sent mine. Even though I knew what his would say, I still smiled every time I read them. The little things like this were the most important to me, because it shows that we think about each other when we wake up each morning. They make me fall even more in love with Mason, even though I didn't think that was possible. I was waiting for the response from him, but it never came. I figured he was still sleeping, so I decided to take a shower and wait for him to wake up.
When I was finished, I immediately checked my phone. Still no answer. I had no idea why he wasn't responding to me. He was always awake by now, and it never took him more than five minutes to respond to my messages, unless he was busy. Even then he would let me know. I knew he was home because I dropped him off after we hung out last night. He always let’s me know what he’s doing, so I wondered why he didn’t this time. Great. I lost him. He's going to break up with me for some other girl that he would rather be with. I wouldn't blame him if he did. I mean, why would anyone want to be with me? I over think everything, and I’m sure I can get annoying sometimes. Ugh! Why was I so stupid to think that someone like Mason Young would want to be with me forever?
I tried to call him, because I thought that I at least deserved an explanation. Ring, ring, ring, ring. No answer. The only thought in my mind was that we were going to be over soon, and I really didn’t want that to happen. Maybe I should go to his house. No, then he would think I was clingy. I tried to call his home phone. Maybe he lost his cell phone, and that’s why he wasn’t answering my calls or texts.
Ring, ring, “Hello,” answered Mason's mom, Karen.
“Hi, this is Ava. Is Mason there?” I asked.
“No, he didn't come home last night. I was just getting ready to call you because he won't answer my calls or texts. I figured he was with you,” responded Karen
“He was last night, but I dropped him off at your house at 11:00p.m.” I told her.
*Click* She hung up on me, awesome.
Where was Mason? I had to find him, so I decided to drive by his house just to make sure his mom wasn't lying to me. When I pulled my car in front of his house, I saw something shining behind the tree in his front yard. Out of curiosity I walked over to see what it was. I bent down to look at it, and realized that it was Mason's cell phone.

(Mason)
“Where am I?” I thought to myself, as I scanned the room. My eyes traveled across the walls trying to see if there was anything recognizable here. Nothing here seemed familiar. The air was cool, and I could tell that I was in trouble, but I wasn't quite sure why. How did I even get here in the first place?
“Is anyone there?” I asked. I could only make out a few shadows, and one of them looked like it might be a person. The shadow began walking closer towards me. My heart felt like it was going to pound right out of my chest. I tried to get away, but I was stuck. My hands and legs were tied together to a bolted down chair that felt cold as stone. I have never been so scared in my life, and all I could think was I’m going to die. Whoever brought me here is going to kill me, and I’m never going to see my family or my girlfriend every again. I had no idea why this happened to me. I haven’t done anything wrong, at least nothing that would cause this.
I wish I could just pinch myself and wake up in my bed, and everything would go back to normal. Unfortunately, this was not a dream. Hearing all these stories about kidnappings, I never thought this would happen to me, ever. Going through life you try not to think about the negative things that could happen. If I did that where would I be? Probably stuck in my room all alone. When the mysterious figure got closer to me, I froze. I could finally see his face and all I could think of was why? Why him?

(Ava)
I picked up Mason's cell phone to see if there was anything on it that would give me a clue to where he was. I searched and searched, but was unable to find anything that would help me. The messages I sent him this morning had not been opened yet, which means that he either lost or dropped his phone beforehand. All of my thoughts were negative. I had no idea where my boyfriend was, and I was worried that something bad happened. Mason would not just leave me without any explanation. And he definitely wouldn't have left his phone behind. As I was trying to figure out what happened to my boyfriend, I realized that I was still standing outside his house. His mom saw me standing there, with Mason's cell phone, and hurried outside to question me.
“What are you doing here?” asked Karen. “And why do you have my son’s cell phone?”
“Well, I found it laying by the tree when I was coming up to look for Mason,” I replied.
“I already told you he wasn't here,” she said, sounding slightly angry.
“Aren't you at least somewhat concerned to know where he is?” I asked.
“He's probably just out with friends or something. You need to stop being so clingy. I’m sure he'll be home soon,” she explained rudely.
“Why would he leave without his phone?” I wondered.
“Probably so he could get away from you,” exclaimed Karen.
I could feel the puddles forming in my eyes. I had to get out of there, and fast. She wasn't the least bit worried about her own son, and on top of it all, she had to make that comment. Now I had no idea what to believe. I thought something bad happened to Mason, but now, I wasn't so sure. Had he really left so he could get away from me? Was I that bad of a girlfriend? No! That can't be true. He wouldn't do that, at least I hope he wouldn’t. Something had to be wrong, because if he didn’t want to be with me he would have told me, not run away without any explanation. I had to figure out exactly what was going on here. If didn’t, I’m not so sure anyone else would.

(Carson)
I don't know why I did it. I couldn't help myself. Jealousy? Anger? Madness? Probably a combination of all three, but what's done is done. I can't turn back now.
I watched him as he sat there, struggling. Good. He deserved to. I figured that the only way he was going to know why he was here, was to reveal myself, even though watching him squirm around in that chair was entertaining. As I inched my way towards him, I could tell he was becoming very nervous. Beads of sweat were showing up on his forehead, and slowly slid their way down his face. When I was finally in full view of him, a look of confusion appeared on his face. He was clueless as to why he was here.
“I'm sure you're wondering why I brought you here,” I said, remaining calm.
“Umm, yes please. Why am I all tied up? And where are we?” Mason asked.
“You took her from me, so I had to remove you from her life. It was the only way,” I told him.
“Took who from you? Ava? Why would you want me out of her life?” asked Mason. All of his words were slurring together, out of extreme nervousness. Hearing him like this made me happy because I knew that I had complete control over him. It was only a matter of time before I was in his head.
“Of course Ava. Who else would I be talking about? She is the love of my life, and you just came on in and swooped her away,” I exclaimed.
“She told me you were just friends. If you had a problem with her and I together, why didn't you just talk to me about it before we started dating? I would have backed off if I knew you guys were a thing.”
“I didn't know what to do. I wanted to be with her, but I couldn't risk losing her friendship. Even though I lost it anyway when you two began dating. She never wanted to hang out with me anymore, and I couldn’t handle only seeing her a few times at school, so I did what I had to do. Now that you're out of the picture Ava will finally be mine. She will think that you just left her with no explanation, and there I'll be, with open arms. If she won't be with me, at least she won’t' be with you anymore. I can't handle seeing her with you anymore. Mason, Mason, Mason. That's all she talks about. I'm sick of it!” I shouted. My anger was taking me over and I couldn't control myself.
“If you care about her as much as you say you do, then wouldn't you want her to be happy? I know she's truly happy with me, so why are you trying to ruin that? If she wanted to be with you, I'm sure she would have been by now. You've known each other since kindergarten, so clearly I think all she wants is to be your friend, and nothing more. The girl isn’t stupid, so I’m sure that she knows that you like her. She just probably never said anything because all she will ever be to you is your friend. That will end though when she finds out what you did!” exclaimed Mason. Clearly all of his nervousness was all gone. I don’t know where this confidence came from, but I think he may have forgotten that he was the one tied up to a chair!
Next thing I knew, there was a hard stone, the size of my fist in my hand. Hearing those words from Mason pushed me over the edge. I thought I could control myself earlier, well, all of my control was completely gone now.

(Ava)
I wasn't sure what to do, so I called Carson. Maybe he would know something. Ring, ring, ring, ring...nothing. He always answers my phone calls. Did I do something? It seemed like no one wanted to speak to me today. Then, without thinking I went straight to the police station. I wasn't sure if Mason was in trouble or not, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
When I arrived at the police station, I saw Mason's mom sitting down talking to one of the officers, with a tear streaming down her face. Why was she here if she didn't think Mason was missing? Once she saw that I was there, she pointed right at me as the tears continued rolling from her eyes. Two police officers came rushing towards me and put me in handcuffs.
“What's going on? Why are you doing this to me?” I asked very frightened.
“You're a suspect in the missing case of Mason Young,” said one of the police officers.
“What?! Why would I do anything to him? He's my boyfriend! I came here to report him as missing!” I shouted, as tears began to roll down my cheek. Was someone framing me? Why was Karen the one telling them it was me? She knew I was looking for him, and acted like nothing was wrong when I saw her earlier today. I had no idea how I was going to get out of this, but I knew I had to think of something if I wanted to find out what really happened to Mason. Maybe his mom was somehow involved, and decided to pin it on me so she wouldn’t get in trouble. Why would she do something to her own son?
So many thoughts flooded into my mind at one time, and it was nearly impossible to process them all. I wanted to run, and never stop. This was too much for me to handle at one time, but I couldn't leave.
Out of the all the confusion my brain was putting me through, I heard the police officer to my right say to me, “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you?”
“I understand,” was all I said. I tried to remain calm, at least on the outside. I knew that if I said anything right now I could get myself in more trouble and I did not need that. I have never been so angry and scared at the same time.
The next thing I knew, I was being taken to a courtroom for my trial. As the judge walked in, everyone stood. My hands were trembling, and my knees were so weak I was afraid I was going to faint. I had no idea what was about to happen. I had never been to court before, so I was unsure of what to expect. When the judge told everyone that we could be seated, I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. This was really happening and there was no way to go back in time, no matter how badly I wanted to.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.