The Amulet Necklace

Chapters:   1 2 Next »

The Discovery

I can’t sleep so I’m sitting here in my dark room with nothing to do. I’m waiting until my mom and stepdad turn the lights out in their bedroom so that maybe I can sneak out and get some fresh air. I knew that my little brother, Vlad, and my little sister, Selena, would be sleeping by now. Also, I am waiting for my older brother, Victor, to turn off the lights and go to sleep. I am planning to sneak out when everyone has fallen asleep. I have no idea when that will be.
I stood up from my bed. I went over to the mirror over my dresser to look at myself. I checked if I wasn’t too pale because I tend to worry about that. I checked my black hair. When I had fixed everything that needed fixing, I went over to my window to climb out of the house. Maybe some fresh air would help me sleep better. Just as I was climbing out, my mom came into my room.
“Where do you think you’re going, Daniella?” my mother asked sternly, turning on the light.
“Uh, I couldn’t sleep so I just wanted to get some fresh air,” I said.
“Mmhmm,” my mom said not buying it.
“Tell me where you’re going,” she demanded. “I’m not leaving this room until you tell me.”
I grunted.
“Fine, I’m going to a party with Shayna,” I lied. I wanted to go to the party, but I just wasn’t feeling in the party mood tonight.
“No. I won’t let you. It’s eleven. It’s late. Plus, it’s past your curfew.”
Angrily, I stomped back to my bed.
“But Mom—,” I whined.
“No Buts. Now, go to bed,” she said strictly. I crawled back into bed as my mom turned off the lights. I waited what seemed to be forever. Not meaning to, I fell asleep.
---------------------------------
I was standing outside a mansion. It was dark out. The mansion seemed to be white, though, I couldn’t tell in the dark. Green vines wrapped the mansion, making it look ancient. The mansion seemed ancient, but, also, a little mysterious. Weeping Willows were planted throughout the land around the mansion. A concrete pathway led to a staircase, which led to the entrance of the mansion. The entrance of the mansion was an arched doorway. Light shone from the entrance. People were coming inside the mansion for some kind of ball. Women were wearing ball gowns and men were wearing tuxedos. Men and women were passing by me on both sides. I noticed women were bowing their heads to the usher who was standing outside the doorway.
I noticed I was wearing also wearing a ball gown. I was wearing a black corset. My skirt for the gown was red and covered with black lace. My hair was up in a braid. I could tell I was wearing high heels because my feet were starting to hurt. I started walking before people started talking, or asking questions. I bowed my head to the usher as I saw other women do.
Once I came inside, I saw a staircase that led to an upstairs. I followed the other men and women into the ballroom. Some men and women were waltzing, others were standing by the wall and chatting. A man and woman in the corner seemed to catch my eye. They seemed isolated from the other people. I had a feeling they were up to something. They were chatting about something.
The man seemed to be in his early twenties. He had pale skin and dark brown hair. He had a straight nose. He had a dapper look to him. Like other men, he also wore a tuxedo. Meanwhile, the woman seemed to be in her late forties. She had a mystical beauty to her. Her black hair was curled. She had thick black mascara on. She had olive toned skin. Like the man, she has a straight nose. Her lips were marked with dark blood red lipstick. She had a sophisticated look to her. She had a belittling look to her also. She seemed unpleased about something. She was wearing a black gown. She also had a black corset on. Her skirt glittered with sparkles.
I wanted to join them when a man tapped me on the shoulder.
“Hello, miss,” he said as smiled. He was a middle-aged man I guessed to be in his late forties. He had splotches of gray beginning to show in his dark brown hair. He was wearing a grey business suit with a white shirt underneath. He was wearing some black fancy shoes.
“Hello,” I said as I smiled.
“Let me introduce myself, I am Senior Kiasea,” he introduced.
“Would you like to dance?” he asked as he held out his hand.
“Yes,” I replied as I took his hand.
“What’s your name?” he asked.
“My name is Daniella Brochuete,” I replied.
“Well, it’s nice to meet you, Ms. Brochuete,” he said.
“It’s nice to meet you too, Mr. Kiasea,” I said as I smiled.
I waltzed around with Mr. Kiasea. While Mr. Kiasea spoke with me, I kept an eye on the man and the woman.
“I see you’re interested in my son over there,” he said suddenly.
“Oh, he’s your son? I’m not—,” I started to say, embarrassed.
“Really?” he asked, not buying it. “Why do you keep glancing over at him then?”
“He just seems…,” I said.
“Seems what?” he asked.
“He seems suspicious,” I said.
“Why is that?” he asked.
“I don’t know…just something about him that I can’t quite put my finger on,” I replied.
Mr. Kiasea looked over at his son again, then at me. He had a surprised look formed on his face.
“What?” I asked. I looked back at his son.
“Do you know what year this is?” he asked.
“Yes, it is 2012,” I replied.
“Yes, of course,” he answered. I could tell that wasn’t the truth.
“What year is it really?” I asked, detecting his lie.
“1836,” he replied.
“What?’’ I asked.
“What am I doing in 1836?” I asked.
“I don’t know. I was just wondering the same question,” he commented as his eyes lingered at mine.
He looked at me, then his son again.
“What?” I asked again, looking back at his son. Now, I saw his son and the woman were gone.
“I’m sorry. I have to go,” I told Mr. Kiasea as I started to walk away from him. I rushed out of the room. I needed to follow his son and that woman. I needed to find out what they’re up to. I ran out of the ballroom and into the adjoining hallway. I saw them turn the corner at the end of the hallway.
Mr. Kiasea rushed after me. He took my arm.
“Don’t follow them,” he warned.
“Why not?” I asked.
“You shouldn’t be snooping on other people’s conversations.”
“I know, but I suspect they’re up to something suspicious,” I said before I ran off after them. I ran until I heard their voices.
I ran until I reached a third hallway. That’s when I heard their voices. I knew it was them because everyone else was in the ballroom.

I heard the woman threaten, “TELL ME WHERE SHE IS, OR I’LL FIND HER MYSELF.”
“What do you want with her, anyway?” the man asked curiously.
“That is only for me to know,” she said slyly.
“I don’t know of your schemes so I have no reason to tell you,” the man implied.
“Tell me, or I’ll tell the rest of them what you have done,” she threatened.
“What exactly did I do?” the man tested her. The woman didn’t know what to say.
“SEE,” the man pointed out. “I have done nothing wrong. You cannot accuse me if I have done nothing wrong.”
As she pointed an accusing finger at him, the woman said, “I know you are hiding your relationship with some human.” She said the word with disgust.
“What proof do you have of that?” he asked.
“None so far.”
“Exactly, you have no proof that I am hiding anything,” he said clearly.
“NOW, GET OUT. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU!” the man screamed at her.
“When I find my evidence, you and your precious human will be overthrown!”
“I told you that I am not hiding humans! You have no proof of that!” he yelled.
“When I find her, I’ll destroy her!”
“GUARDS!” the man yelled.
Some knights came running down the hallway and charged in. The woman was escorted out of the room.
Mr. Kiasea’s son came out into the hallway. The man looked over in my direction.
I wondered if the woman saw me when she was escorted out. I didn’t think she did. She didn’t take any notice of me. He ran over to me.
I noticed that his eyes were blue. We looked into each other’s eyes.
“Hello,” the man said.
“Hello,” I replied.
“Do you mind walking with me down to a more private place?” he asked with a grin on his face.
“Of course not,” I replied flirtatiously.
He took my hand and led me down the corridor. We came to a room that I guessed was his bedroom.
“What are we doing down here?” I asked.
“I think you know why,” he replied, “We have some matters to discuss.”
“I don’t know what matters you are talking about,” I replied, confused.
“Don’t play dumb with me,” he commented.
“I’m not,” I said honestly, looking at him. I tilted my head and looked at him.
“Why have you come, Veronica?” he asked.
I frowned.
That was when I was thrust back into reality. I wondered how that dream came to me. How did that man know my mother’s name? Was it just a coincidence? Then, I remembered I planned to go outside. I checked the clock in my bedroom. It said: 12:00 am. Midnight.
I decided to try to go back to sleep. Slowly, I drifted to sleep. In this dream, I was at a graveyard. My mother had told me that my biological father had died. Maybe that’s why I’m here.
I tried to get my mom to speak about my dad, but she never told me anything about him. The only thing she had told me: his name was Daniel, or Danny. She named me after him.
I was standing outside the gate of the graveyard. The gate was closed so I climbed over it. The moon shone bright over the headstones making gloomy shadows of the headstones.
I stepped past spider webs and other tombstones to the tombstone where my father was. I was about to start talking when I heard a noise. It was a rustling noise. The moon shone clearly down on his tombstone.
I need to get out of here, I thought to myself.
“Oh, dad, I wish you were here with us—," I started to say when I noticed the shadow of a looming figure in the shadows. Then, I thought it might just be my imagination since this was just a dream.
I continued.
“Mother is very unhappy without you. She says she’s happy and she loves our stepdad, but I see it in her eyes. She doesn’t love him, she loves love you—,” I said again, but stopped.
Then, I noticed that the name on the headstone was different. It wasn’t Michael, it was Frank. I decided I would ask my mother about this later when I was awake. My dreams always sent some kind of message whether it was true, or not.
I decided I was at the wrong tombstone. I looked through all the names that started with D I could find. There was no Daniel, or Danny. I thought this was strange. I started to think: could my father possibly be alive?
I should go home, I thought to myself.
As I was about to leave, I noticed the looming figure again, but he was in a different place. Bravely, I started walking towards it.
DON’T STEP ANY CLOSER, the shadow threatened.
I dared to step closer. I wanted to know what the gloomy shadow really was. I wanted to know if the shadow was really my father watching over me.
Out of nowhere, a hand grabbed my mouth. I wanted to scream.
“Shhh,” the voice said.
I turned around to look back to see who it is, but the person covered my eyes before I could get in a good glance. The person took their hand off my mouth. The person took their hands off me.
“Don’t turn around,” the person warned.
“Why not?” I asked.
“You’ll be surprised to see who you see.”
I turned around. That’s when the person hugged me. I could tell the person was a man from how muscular their body was.
I knew if it’s a man that it had to be my father. The person felt cold though. Their body was solid, not translucent like a ghost’s.
The person let go of me. With the blink of an eye, he was zooming away. I didn’t get to see how he looked like.
“Wait!” I yelled after him.
I noticed he zoomed.
“Wait! I have to ask you something!”
In less than a second, he was in the shadows again.
“Are you my father?” I asked.
Before he answered and I could take a look at him, he zoomed off.
“Wait!” I yelled and wanted to start running after him. Before I could run, I woke up.
It was turning light out when I awoke. Strangely, I woke up lying next to my father’s tombstone at the graveyard. I didn’t remember going to the graveyard; just dreaming about it. Or did I go there? Was what I had just witnessed been real, but I fell asleep at the graveyard? I wasn’t sure.
I looked at my father’s gravestone. I checked to make sure that it said, Daniel, unlike my dream. Just as my dream, the gravestone said: Frank, not Daniel. Suddenly, everything had become real. If my father isn’t dead, then where is he? What happened to him? Had what I just dreamed been real?
I realized this was something my mom may have been hiding about my dad. What if there are other things she hadn’t told us about him? All these years she had kept the secret that our father is alive from me and my siblings. Something must be going on that we didn’t know about for her to keep a secret this large.
Knowing I couldn’t figure out anything without asking my mom, I got up and went home.
When I got home, Victor was still awake for some reason. He was playing some game on his phone. He looked up at me. I went to the front porch.
“Daniella, where have you been?” Victor worried.
“Nowhere,” I lied.
“Did you go to a party?” he asked.
“No.”
“Then, where? I know you went somewhere. You couldn’t have walked from out there if you were inside,” he pointed out.
“Fine, I went to the graveyard,” I said.
“Why, the graveyard?” Victor asked curiously.
“I don’t know how I got there. I was just there.”
“What do you mean: you don’t know how you got there?”
“Well, I was having this weird dream where I was at a graveyard and, then, this man showed up. When I woke up, I was at the graveyard.”
“This man?”
“Yeah, he had dark brown hair and pale skin.”
“Weird.”
“Yeah.”
“Well, we better get inside before Mom wakes up.”
“Yeah, I wouldn’t want to get in trouble.”
With that, we headed inside.
Chapters:   1 2 Next »