Destroy what Destroys you

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Next »

Chapter 5-Camille's POV

“We’re here,” I said nudging Mace’s arm. His eyes groggily fluttered open.
“This is it? In the middle of nowhere?”
“Yeah,” I replied.
We both looked at the large cement building with broken windows from kids playing baseball and vandalism. Weeds overgrew all over the year that was once filled with strolling mental patients. Vines took a tight grip on the building and tried to crumble it to the floor. The doors had been flown open from the high winds that also blew wheelchairs and rolling beds around.
Mace and I closed the car doors and opened the trunk to pick up some guns. We grabbed some ammo to refill our guns just in case there was an emergency, which I hoped to God there wasn’t.
Mace pushed his way through the tall grass, tossing rocks and items that were once used in the asylum, aside. I followed behind Mace keeping a close eye on my surroundings.
The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as we entered the crazy hospital. The madhouse was older and dirtier than when I had left it last a couple years ago.
When we walked in, there were some chairs and cushions torn out. There was a front desk that a small proportion had been eaten away from termites. Mace cleared the walkway of dolls with eyes that had been torn out from patients while I brushed the cobwebs away. We finally made our way to the main desk where there was an old rotary phone and a book with all the patients’ names.
I picked up the book, dusted it off and opened it. Mace and I looked through it until we came to the last name: Michael Greene. There was a piece of paper next to the name with my name on it. The paper looked like all the letters I had burned from the Chain Killer. This was going to be the first one I opened from him.
Camille,
Sorry I didn’t clean up the place. It was, you can say, unexpected.
Love,
Michael Greene
I crumpled up the letter and chucked it across the room.
“Do you want to go home?” Mace asked. “The door is – closed.”
The door had been shut behind us without us knowing. We ran to it both ramming our shoulders into the door. It didn’t budge.
“We can try a window,” I suggested.
“They all have bars in the front,”
“What the hell is going on?” I asked pacing back and forth thoroughly brushing my hair with my hands. “This is all a little game to him.”
“We can’t call anyone. There’s no signal in here,” Mace said. “We’re going to win this game, I promise,”
“Promises are made to be broken. Look at what my father promised. That fell through didn’t it?”
“Are you blaming your father for you mother’s death? Just because he promised to keep your family safe and failed to do so, doesn’t mean he broke it. There was nothing he could do,”
I shut my eyes tightly remembering every detail that was important in the twenty-four years of my life. A flashback of memories flooded my head; some sending chills down my spine and some making me sick to my stomach.
I needed to tell my father where I was. I couldn’t make the same mistake my mother made of telling no one of her surroundings. I didn’t want to die here and have no one know where my lifeless body was. That was not going to happen.
I walked to a window and shoved my elbow causing the glass to shatter into a million pieces on the floor. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and put it out the window. I had a couple bars. I called my father.
“Hey Cam,” My father answered through the speaker. He didn’t slur so I knew he, for once, was sober.
“Dad,” I sighed relieved that he answered. “Mom’s killer escaped. Mace and I are trying to him,”
“Were you and your partner assigned to this?”
“Uh, no.” I said lowering my voice.
“Camille where are you? The service is terrible,”
“The old asylum. Dad, don’t come looking for me,”
“Get out of there. I don’t want you to end up like your mother,”
“I’m trying to serve justice here. I’m not leaving.”
“Camille Anne Caputo, get your ass out of there right now. Screw it, I’m coming to get you,”
“No!” I yelled. “I don’t want you getting killed! Leigh-Anne needs you more than she needs me. Look, if I don’t give you a call in an hour or two, call the cops and tell them where I’m at. Okay?” No one answered. “Dad?” I pulled my phone in and sighed. I had lost signal.
“There has to be another way out. Lets go check it out,” Mace said.
“Mace, whatever happens, I want you to know you were a great partner. I don’t think I could go this far without you. Thanks,” I said my hands shaking.
“We’re not going to be separated,” Mace said smiling.
I saw something white behind him and screamed. It came closer to him and I could hear the rattling noise of the chainsaw. He turned and was bashed against the head hard enough to crack his skull. I searched the room looking for where the man was. The chainsaw noise kept ringing my ears, so I knew he was still in here somewhere. I found out where he was just in time to turn around and get smacked in the head.