The House Still Standing

Author's note: This story came to me when my teacher gave us open writing. He said we could write what ever we...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This story came to me when my teacher gave us open writing. He said we could write what ever we wanted to. Every week, I would get a new idea. Then all of a sudden, The House Still Standing came to me.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

The move

7 years ago
I took a moment to take everything in. Today I was starting fourth grade at my new school. My mother and I had to move from England all the way down to Chicago, Illinois. My mother was offered a better job, so she took it. I would have stayed with my father but he died two weeks ago from a bad car accident. He was driving back from his job when a drunk driver ran into his car. My dad was killed within a minute. Ever since that day, my family was tearing apart by the minute. Every hour was horrible and every minute was worse.
I shook my head while wanting this day to be over. Don’t get me wrong, i’m good at school but I tend to be very shy was it comes to meeting new people. In my mind, I was debating if I should go inside or just run away. My mother was late for work, so she made me walk. Even though she knew I didn’t know where to go. Since I was so confused, I ended up being 2 hours late. I sighed and opened the door. As the door opened, I saw a girl walking to her class, so I decided to ask her for help.
“Hey. Umm… I’m new here. And I was wondering if you can tell me where to go?” I said.
“What’s your name?” The girl said.
“Kayla, Kayla Lopez,” I said.
“What grade are you in?” She said.
“Fourth,” I said.
“You know you’re two hours late,” She said.
“I’m new here to Chicago. Can’t you tell by my accent?” I said.
“To me you are a normal person. Can’t you tell my Mexican accent?” she said. She had an accent? I could barely tell when she talked.
She sighed and continued. “Since you’re in 4th you will be in room 26. Mr. Smiles class.”
“Let me guess, he smiles too much,” I said.
“Just take the stairs and it will be on your right,” she said. She walked to her class and looked at me one more time until she rolled her eyes and entered. I did as she instructed and find my class in no time. Once my foot stepped into the door, every pair eyes were set on me.
“Hello there. You must be Kayla Lopez right?” Mr. Smiles said. I nodded my head while he continued.
“Hi, I’m Mr. Smiles,” he said while smiling. Wow, he takes his last name serious.
“You can sit right next to Alyssa. Alyssa raises your hand.” Mr. Smiles said. Alyssa raised her hand right in the back pointing into the empty chair. I walked slowly while still noticing every eye still on me.
“Hi I’m Alyssa. What’s your name?” Alyssa said.
“Kayla,” I said.
“Nice to meet you Kayla,” Alyssa said.
“Oh stop sucking up Alyssa!” a boy with dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes said.
“Stop it Justin! I’m just trying to be nice!” Alyssa said.
“Can we get back to what we were talking about?” another boy said.
“Yes Zach! I heard Mr. Rodgers is putting the house for sale. I wouldn’t risk my life moving into that house,” Justin said with a worry look on his face.
“That house must be at least a thousand years old to the max!” Zach.
“I heard that this one guy named Pop Snap tired to take down the house. Like ripped the house shred by shred but to only die,” a girl said.
“Really Katie! Pop Snap. That sounds like a name of a soda,” Alyssa said while bursting out laughing with the others.
“Kayla. Where do you live?” Justin said.
“We don’t know yet,” I said.
“We? Who are we Kayla?” Justin said confused. It was like he thought I was moving in the house they were talking about.
“My mother and I. Look Justin, we are not moving into that house! I mean I barely know a thing about that house,” I said knowing where he was going.
“Look Kayla. You better check yourself. You move here today so that means you are a newbie. So stay out of my way and you will be good,” Justin said.
“Give her a break Justin!” Alyssa said.
“Yeah dude! Chill,” Zach said.
“Whatever,” Justin said. He got up and stormed out of the room. I got up and decided to follow him. Eventually, I found him outside on top of a hill. He looked like he was mad and I couldn’t blame him. For what happened in class, I owed him an apology. I walked up that steep hill and sat down next to him.
“You really want to know about the house,” he said looking down. I looked at him and nodded. He sighed and began.
“Well there is this house two blocks away from school. This house is no usual house. It was there when the civil war began and there when George Washington was president. People say that it is haunted because of how old it is. In 1989, there was this police report coming from this house. It was a girl who kept repeating three and hanged up. When police came, there was nothing there. I mean nothing. The only thing left was blood stains. It was completely gone. The police searched the files that this girl name Isabel Lopez was healthy and living there. The last time people saw her was two hours before the phone call. She was never found again.” Justin said.
“Isabel Lopez? She was my aunt and she vanished. My family hasn’t heard of her since four years ago,” I said shocked with the history of the house.
“That is why I was asking you where you live?” Justin said.
“Thanks… We better get going,” I said while getting up. I vowed that day I would never move into that house.
7 years later, I totally forgot about that house. I’m very close to Zach, Alyssa, Katie and even Justin. My mother met a guy and 2 years later they had a baby. Cole (My stepdad) wasn’t the best dad in the world. He never was home and barley talked to Stephanie (My sister). Cole and I don’t get along because of that. My mom still thinks Cole is the one. Today my family and I were moving into a new house. But the house we are moving to was……… The house we talked about 7 years ago on my first day of school………. The house I vowed I would never move into. I’m moving into the house still standing.
Now
I regret not telling my mom about what happened at the old creepy house. I should have told her that I knew about what happened to Aunt Isabel. I just couldn’t find the right time. School has driven me over the wall since I’m a senior in high school now. To make matters even worse, I have to take care of Stephanie. My mom and Cole are never home and that disgusts me. I didn’t care that they forgot about me but to forget about your five year old daughter is horrible. Next year when I’m able to buy a house, I’m taking my sister with me.

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

ItbealiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:27 am:
Is my story good?