What A Doll

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

2006

Nine year old Sally stepped out of her parent’s car with a small cardboard box filled with her Family Classics dolls. They’re almost like American Girl, but you can design your own to match your family. Today she wore her white and maroon floral dress and shiny black Mary-Jane shoes, and walked up to the big evergreen door and twisted the smooth bronze doorknob. The door slid open. She took a long glance at the winding staircase of her big, new house through the doorway before she decided to sprint upstairs to pick out her new bedroom. She chose the smallest room; not only because it has pastel pink walls and white lace curtains, but because there sat the largest dollhouse she had ever saw in the far left corner of the room. She decided to dump her dolls out of the cardboard box right away onto the floor next to the gorgeous four story dollhouse. It looked quite old and worn down but she didn’t care, she fell in love with it. She suddenly got a feeling of bother, not having a clue why. She shrugged it off and placed the dolls into the dollhouse. Sudden relief and power shot through her and she fell backwards.
She got back up on her feet. There was a faded voice coming from downstairs so she swung her bedroom door open and found her dad calling her to the kitchen. She trotted downstairs into the kitchen as her father, Jackson, was unpacking the last few things into the cupboards. She took a seat onto a stool by the breakfast bar as he began to cook one of her favorite breakfast platters. He placed the strawberry and cottage cheese crapes onto the breakfast bar where Sally was seated. She seemed frazzled and slowly lifted the fork to her mouth and took a bite. Jackson felt uneasy, because it wasn’t normal for her to appear that way about one of her favorite meals. “I mean that is her favorite, isn’t it? Well of course, what am I thinking? She’s probably just tired from the car ride.” He thought as he stepped back to lean on the counter across from Sally. As she took her first bite she began to smirk, and the smirk quickly switched to a look of disgust. “What the hell is this?! It tastes like you put ash into my food! Are you trying to poison me? This is the worst thing I’ve ever tasted!” He had no idea why she was yelling or why she began to swear. She’s never acted like this before; she was crying and screaming for a good five minutes before she stomped loudly to her room and slammed the door so hard the house shook. Jackson just stayed there sitting in awe. He waited for Sally to cool down before he went upstairs to see what was wrong with her and ate what was left of her meal to pass the time. It tasted fine to him. She had been playing with her dolls when he walked up to her room and he noticed one of the dolls left leg seemed to have been twisted clean off of the dolls body. That doll was Pat, her aunt who lives down the road from them in a ranch house that they had designed a few years back. He brushed it off, assuming she had thrown the doll out of anger. He began to apologize, “I’m not sure what was wrong with the food, but I’m sorry you didn’t like it, Sally. Are you feeling okay?” Jackson asked with hesitation. She just stared blankly at him for a moment, nodded slowly, and went back to playing with her dolls. Jackson was worried, but decided to forget about it and went downstairs to help his wife, Tess, unpack the living area and dinette and told her nothing about what had happened.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »