The Devil's Pawn

Author's note: I finished this for a friend. I wrote it for anyone who has a soft spot for Mystery/Thrillers.
Author's note: I finished this for a friend. I wrote it for anyone who has a soft spot for Mystery/Thrillers.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 10 Next »

Unknown Shadow

For a minute none of them knew what to say.
“Well?” her husband demanded.
“I didn’t want you to see me fall apart.” She stammered.
“I don’t care. You can fall apart in my arms and I’ll just hold you. I love you no matter what mistakes you’ve made.” He promised.
He turned to his step daughter and spoke. “Ally, do you have anything to say?” he asked.
Her Mother was looking at her intensely, begging her not to say anything about her close encounter with death.
She didn’t know what would happen if she didn’t; the walls were closing in and her time window to clear her name was small and it was risky.
She began to stammer, “Uh-uh_” was all she could manage to say.
“Spit it out.” He pressed her.
“I-“she stopped as she saw a shadow cross to the outside window. He wasn’t peering in but he was listening.
“I was threatened with a knife. She saved me.” she told her stepfather.
She couldn’t stop looking out the window and wondering about the life that would await her outside. He was here, to talk to her alone.
“What are you looking at?” her stepfather asked her.
“It’s nothing.” She replied, hoping she sounded unconcerned. She sighed, ready to spill the beans.
“You’re not my real Father, dad. I’m half immortal. Mom was having an affair when she got pregnant with me. In The Ward: I met with Eric where he freed me from that dreadful place; hired me to kill the blonde haired and blue eyed girl for him, but also for myself ‘’cause it was the only way he’d let me live. As for how he got inside tonight, I planted my key on the grass where my Father picked it up and had a copy of it made for Eric. You were the target, though, not Mom. The way you look at me; the way you push me away when all I want is your love. It doesn’t matter whose child I am! If he came back for me, I’d go with him. I hate you! I have power when I’m with Eric, and I love him.” She declared.
Come to me, love,” a masculine voice whispered through her mind.
“Now if you’ll excuse me-“she left silent once more and headed in the direction of her room. She didn’t know they’d both be waiting for her.