The Devil's Pawn

Author's note: I finished this for a friend. I wrote it for anyone who has a soft spot for Mystery/Thrillers.
Author's note: I finished this for a friend. I wrote it for anyone who has a soft spot for Mystery/Thrillers.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Next »

Final Encounter

Chandra’s husband Jim was working late the night it happened. Ally, Chandra’s daughter was in a deep sleep again as usual so she probably wouldn’t hear a thing of what he said.
Her Mother had left the window open to let in some cool air. She was reading one of her cheesy romance novels in the light of her bedside lamp; when she finished and found a stopping place in her book, she turned off her bedside lamp and hit the hay. She didn’t notice him come in until she heard heavy boots move across the hardwood floor of her bedroom.
At first she was happy because she thought her husband was home for the night and didn’t have to go back to his dreadful job as a bartender at Eternal Night where he’d even seen a few fight break out, with many of them ending in death. He hated his job, but it was the only work they would hire a vampire for.
She said the first thing that came to her mind. “Hey baby, I’m so happy you’re home from your job at Eternal Night,” she exclaimed happily. But her stomach clenched and unclenched when there was no answer.
After a while there were still no words exchanged from either of them.
“Baby?” she asked, her question hanging in the air.
When there was still no answer for the thousandth time, she began to make her way toward her night stand to switch on her bedside lamp, when she did his face was right up in hers. “You lied to me.” he yelled at her sternly.
“No-I didn’t,” she began to deny his words.
“Yes, you did, he insisted, “I trusted you to tell the truth to her. But you kept it all to yourself.” He told her.
“My husband doesn’t know about the dead girl, I swear!” she pleaded, when he closed the space between them.
“No, this doesn’t have anything to do with your husband. Tell me, how do you know our daughter didn’t murder that girl? She got in with that bad boy, Eric, her boyfriend whom you tried to keep her away from.” He informed her. “Why keep us a secret?” he wondered aloud.
“I have to,” she told him, “or my marriage will be over.”
“He may not know about us, but he knows something. The way he looks at her, the way he pushes her away.” He reasoned with her. “he knows she’s not his kid,” he concluded.
“I saw her on the trail, she dropped this,” he held the key out to her, before pocketing it again. “Enough talk,” and he tore off down the hallway toward his sleeping daughter’s room.
She could hear her daughter’s screams as she was finally torn from her deep sleep. “Let me go!” she yelled.
Chandra could hear her pleas and hated to see her dragged in the middle of something like this.
She tore off down the hallway after him. When she reached him, he already had his knife held to her throat.
“Mom, what’s going on?” Ally asked her.
“Be quiet a minute,” she warned her daughter. “Alright you got my attention, now what is it you want?”
“Her, I want her.” He told her as a car pulled in the driveway he pushed his daughter toward her Mother and left out the window, but he didn’t go far…
She didn’t bother to close the window and was still looking out it. When her husband entered, she collapsed onto the bed and cried as all of her secrets came crashing down around her.
“What’s going on, Chandra? Are you okay?” she asked wrapping his arms around her.