The Devil's Pawn

Author's note: I finished this for a friend. I wrote it for anyone who has a soft spot for Mystery/Thrillers.
Author's note: I finished this for a friend. I wrote it for anyone who has a soft spot for Mystery/Thrillers.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »

The Forbidden Truth

Two things he said ran through her mind: One of your family members will pay. You think I care about you? You are human, so you are nothing! Don’t cross me,” and last but not least, the disgusted look he gave her.
She never thought a human could be so hostile toward another and yet here she was getting ready to go see him.
She twirled around in the mirror to look at herself from all angles in her long, black silk dress. She also had on her favorite black heels and her face was
Still a work in progress..
made up.
She informed my Step Father that she was going out but she didn’t say where she was going ‘’cause where she was going, she was forbidden to go.
He didn’t ask where she was headed ‘’cause he didn’t care as long as she stayed away from a night club called Eternal Night, where he worked and was once bitten and spared by a vampire. That’s another story for another day.
She would meet him there where she would remember him and learn to hate everything about him.
Chandra travelled in the cold darkening night until she came to a bar called Eternal Night.
She threw open the door hoping for a minute she’d get lost in the music and crowd.
Maybe they’d go on an actual date, though she hadn’t been on one since him. She didn’t know his face, his face was a blur and his name she didn’t know either. She was drunk by the time he entered her bed and forgetful by the time he left it.
She went home not too long after and a few months later, her small stomach took the place of a round one. Any normal husband would’ve taken notice of the change but as normal, caring husbands went Jim wasn’t the kind.
When I was born, my Father took one long look at me, and said, “She’s not mine. She can’t be mine. She’s too pale to be mine,” he had told her.
“She’s not, I adopted her,” she reassures him.
So my Father eventually became my Step Father. I knew she only made the adoption story up to cover up her slip.
He slipped after my birth and went out for drinks so often that it didn’t surprise my Mother much when he came home late.
One night when my Step Father went out for drinks he was offered the bite, by the same person whom I would fall in love with. But right now his name’s not known all I know is, I would love him. How do I know so much about him, you ask? I was there at Eternal Night. I wasn’t supposed to be there, but I was.
I ran up to the vampire. “Daddy, no,” I had yelled, he didn’t look at me, but said,” What are you doing here, Ally go home,” he shooed her away.
But I was persistent. “Daddy, why are you doing this? Don’t play his game. Don’t be his pawn. Please look at me, Daddy am I that much of a burden on you?” I had asked him.
He didn’t answer me anymore.
I had run out of there as soon as I saw the vampire push my Step Dad away after he’d drunk his fill.
I put my face in my hands, confused and alone as I felt I cried. I didn’t look where I was going, and ran right into an Ever Night bus boy the one who was known as Eric. That is how I met Eric and that is why he died. He died because he’d known me and my Father my real Father not my Step Father had no mercy toward humans.
He didn’t think any human was good enough for me, his only immortal daughter.
“Miss, Miss you look terribly distraught. May I buy you a drink?” he had kind eyes, unlike those of my Step dad who only seemed to push me away instead of holding me closer. If only this boy knew what he was talking to?
“Miss,” his voice called me back to reality. I finally answered him. “Yes, that would be nice,” and he led me away by the arm. Anyway, enough of that let’s get back to my Mother Chandra’s problem.
She looked around for the man she’d only briefly met just the other night. She didn’t want to be here but her fear for her family kept her searching for him.
Finally, she found them. Them, She thought, whatever happened to just the two of them?
She began to walk toward them but they both headed toward the nearest exit. Stupidly, she followed them.
“Hey you,” What is your name I demand to know, now! And whatever happened to it being just the two of us? What’s he doing here? What ever happened to making up, pretending nothing happened?” all her questions came out fast.
He didn’t answer them, just stared at her.
“Come here,” he ordered her, “so you can see my face as I speak to you!” he yelled.
She stood there for a moment, not moving from that spot. Then she felt herself move toward him. When she was just inches from his face, he spoke,” Leaving her in that Ward wasn’t the best thing for her. That Eric boy that she fell in love with _” he shook his head disapprovingly. “Has more Secrets than any one vampire I know,” he reassured her. “Not to worry though, I took care of him,” he told her, followed him one night, found him said he was going to see her. Then I killed him, drained his blood.”
“Who are you?” she stammered in disbelief.
“Her Father; How else do you think I know so much about her life?” he asked her.
“But you can’t be, I didn’t_” she tried to find the words and couldn’t.
“Expect me to be a vampire?” he finished for her. “Yeah, I get that a lot. Listen to me, I want you to stop lying to her and tell her the truth. She hates you, you know always has,” he told her.
“I was trying to protect her,” she objected.
“You can’t protect her from this,” he informed her. “She is already in more trouble than she can afford to be in.” he told her.
Soon after he said this, both of them had her cornered against the wall the worst place to be at a time like this.
“You weren’t supposed to be here. Human’s and their vulnerability,” he laughed.
“I told you I wasn’t going to tell anyone-“she broke off when she felt his cold hands around her neck.
“That’s just it. She needs to know who she really is,” he told her.
“No, I can’t,” she told him.
“If she doesn’t learn my ways from me, there will always be others like me who can teach her. If you don’t tell her, I will,” he said. “And it will be a lot worse for you. Maybe I didn’t actually take care of Eric, maybe he’s wandering around these woods right now trying to find his way back to her. Maybe that was some other dead boy. She belongs in our world, not yours,” he pointed out.
She shivered at his words.
He turned toward the boy and said, “Thorne, remember what we’re doing. There’s no backing out now. When I took you in I gave you a home, now you must repay that hospitality by achieving your first kill.”
“But- But- that wasn’t the plan,” he replied nervously.
“It is now. You’ve lasted this long, why disappoint me now?” he pointed out.
He was ignoring Thorne now, and ignoring her now too but he hadn’t forgotten her presence. But she broke into a run trying her luck.
Unfortunately, she was stopped dead when his hand grabbed her throat, without fail. She tried to take a breath, but couldn’t until he let go of her.
Then he struck her hard in the face.
“You want to compromise for what you saw, don’t you?” he asked her.
“I would rather die, than make up with you,” she said, sounding bitter. And she spit on his face. This action made him angry so he yanked her up from the ground by her hair.
He then almost tenderly put her hair behind her shoulders. Then there was that knife again and all the tenderness in his touch was gone. “I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!” she yelled.
“I’m not.”
I changed not because of the full moon but because of the anger I fet toward the man.
I scratched my tormentors face with my wolf claws.
I pounced on him, sticking him with a claw in his gut as a warning I said,” The only reason I haven’t killed you is you have a daughter and your blood is not worth dirtying my hands with.”
She then ran in the opposite direction toward her house realizing she made a mistake… not only had she spit on him, she had scratched his face and insulted his blood. No human or any creature for that matter would’ve said those words to him, the most respected vampire that existed especially if they wanted to stay in his good graces… she had had her fair warning.
To be continued…