The Devil's Pawn

Author's note: I finished this for a friend. I wrote it for anyone who has a soft spot for Mystery/Thrillers.
Author's note: I finished this for a friend. I wrote it for anyone who has a soft spot for Mystery/Thrillers.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next »

Broken Promise

She had broken her promise because she was meant to do just that, break things as well as destroy them. She had killed out of fear; fear for her own life, fear for those closest to her, and a fear that he wouldn’t forgive her for abandoning him, and didn’t love her for doing just that.
She wanted to remain in his favor not destroy it, but he would send her over the edge. She killed to live and killed for him.
She heard footsteps in the distance but didn’t turn around as she stared into the lake water what was once one face became two.
“I knew you’d come,” she said and without looking him in the face she got to the point. “I’ve been waiting for you. What is it you want?” I asked, finally looking at him.
“A favor,” he smiled showing his venomous teeth only to her because she was the only human he trusted.
“What do I get for this favor?” I asked, wrapping my arms around Eric.
“Your life, my grace the bite; Do you want the bite?” he asked her.
Her hand flew to her neck tracing the mark from teeth, His teeth?
She couldn’t quite remember what happened.
She gasped. “That’s impossible,” she shivered. “You can’t be_” She broke off.
“But I am,” he told her, moving toward her. “I’m not who you think I am.”
Her eyes were wide with fear, now. Another body fell to the ground, dead only to reveal his true identity his red eyes.
She already knew what he was, the teeth gave it away; but her boyfriend Eric, never would’ve hurt her.
She screamed it was her boyfriend Eric who lay there.
She collapsed as her feet gave out from under her, and cried.
She whispered sweet, reassuring things like, “Oh Eric, not you too,” she looked at him angrily as he approached her.
She got up quickly from the ground and advanced toward him and shouted at him,” Why are you doing this?”
He answered her. “I need blood to survive that all it is; besides that boy was no good for you, my Daughter,” he smiled and it was venomous. “Bad luck will always follow you. I will always find you.” he told her. I don’t think your mother will give you up, willingly.”
She shivered at the thought of him showing up everywhere she’d ever been. But otherwise, she ignored it.
“I know what I want,” she concluded.
“And what’s that?” he asked.
“I want you to change him,” she told him.
“You make a hard bargain. I can’t do that,” he informed her.
“And why is that?” she asked.
“He’s dead with no breath left in him. I would do anything for you, my child if only you would come with me. But I can’t save him,” he said.
“You’re a monster, a vampire not to be trusted,” she told him.
He was not too far behind her, now. He spoke: “Tell me, why is it you fear me. Is it because you fear you’ll have the same fate as poor Eric?” he asked, closing his hand around her wrist, before she could pull it away.
“We could share him, you know,” he told her.
“I was born, not bit,” she pointed out.
“That can be arranged,” he told her, brushing his cool fingers across her throat.
“You’re sick,” she told him through clenched teeth.
“You know you want to. Don’t fight it,” she closed her eyes for a moment.
When he didn’t release her wrist, she swung and hitting him in the gut, he finally released her and she had run.
“I’ll never be a vampire, she told him from afar, “but whatever you want, I’m sure it can be arranged,” she told him.
“If only you knew, my dearest and only daughter,” he thought to himself he smiled.
She ran to her front window where she climbed through it. Her house key slid from her pants pocket and onto a pile of grass.
She paid no mind to him now that she was safe inside the walls of her bedroom.
He smiled as he spotted the key, his cool fingers closed around it. A way to get in for him; but no way for her to get out.