Beast of the Red Sky

Author's note: My first short story, I want readers to take away the joy of mystery.
Author's note: My first short story, I want readers to take away the joy of mystery.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

The Crash

Seat 24A. Window. The plane was packed to a claustrophobic level. Everyone was rushing around to get their colorful vacation carry-ons stored in the overhead compartments, making sure their children and travel partners were all set, or just making themselves look busy. I simply made my way to my seat and sat there. I looked out the window with a thousand yard stare. Soon enough the plane rolled to position on the runway. Seconds later we were climbing through the air in hundred foot leaps. The guy
-Lucy
next to me was leaning to get a look out the window. He was a handsome devil, but he was in my personal space. I looked at him as if to say an annoyed “Excuse me?”
He looked me straight in the eyes and said “May I help you?”
“You're in my space...” I said rudely, I did not feel in a friend-making mood.
“Oh! I'm so sorry!” he said, barely moving an inch away and putting out his hand “I'm Jason, nice to meet you, um...?”
“Lucy.” I said in an offhand manner.
“Well. Lucy, what a pretty name for such a pretty girl!” he sighed smiling, totally unaffected by my shortness. I didn't answer him and I turned back toward the window. He kept leaning over me to see out the window, so I shut it in an annoyed, fluid movement. He shrunk back into his seat and looked at me like I was just being silly. I raised one eyebrow at him and hurriedly shut my eyes in false sleep before he could crack another charming smirk.
We suddenly hit an unusually rough patch in the air. Three beeps signaled the captain's panicked voice on the intercom, “We are experiencing some turbulence, remain calm and in your seats with your seat belts fastened.”
I knew somehow that this was not just any turbulence. I've flown many times before to archery competitions around the world. So needless to say, I've experienced a fair amount of varying degrees of turbulence. I threw the window shade open and watched our elevation dive. I watched the land and water get closer and, unnervingly, closer until the front of the plane crashed and crumbled. The metal skeleton of the plane crunched with sickening sounds. Everything went black.
I woke up on a beach with forests to my left, water to my right, and blackened bits of plane and people all around. Some of the people lay wholly lifeless, others lay dead with their assorted body parts yards away. There were a handful of surviving people strewn about tending to the dead and searching for survivors. Jason was sitting on a flat tree stump brooding but living. I got up and walked over to him. I put my hand on his shoulder, shocking myself in doing so. I squeezed his muscular shoulder assuring him that everything was going to be okay.
“NO! Nothing is Okay!” he shouted at me, “People are dead, people are dying. These people probably all had families and friends who care about them and have no idea they are dead! No one knows what just happened! We are all alone!” I did not expect this previously cheery guy to be so flip.
“Calm down, Jason, we'll get out of here, we'll find everyone's families and tell them. Don't worry. You and I, we will do it, we'll get off this island together alright?” I said, the words flowing from my mouth which, at the moment, had a mind of its own. The words shocked me, and more so that they were coming from my mouth.