Red Rain, Glass Dogs and Rats

Author's note: I wrote these for three of my best friends (I won't post their names up here) and they're...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote these for three of my best friends (I won't post their names up here) and they're dedicated to them.
Happy Halloween, all year round, when you read these creepy stories!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

Red Rain

Aunt Jane had found Quinn outside of a barbershop, standing in the pouring rain on a story day. Stormy days were great for shopping, so Aunt Jane had been walking along the street when she saw the girl. She was what people would call “abnormal” and in the town of Twelker, anything abnormal was hated and feared. Quinn was small, with emerald green eyes and bright red hair like copper on fire. She was wearing a gray dress that had been badly sewn and had crossed stitches in black thread across one side. She had black laced up shoes and a necklace with a topaz jewel on the end of it.
Aunt Jane had just left the SuperBuy, a huge shopping mall in the center of town, when she noticed Quinn standing on the rainy street. At first Aunt Jane had thought her eyes were glowing, but it was just the light of a passing car.
“Where are your mother and father, dear?” Aunt Jane had asked. Had they left her there in the rain, or was she lost?
“They sent me here in case anything bad happened.” Quinn replied. “They said they’d come back for me someday.” Aunt Jane realized that the girl was an orphan, and that her parents had obviously lied to her.
“Why don’t you come with me, and I’ll try to find your parents?” Aunt Jane offered. “What’s your name?”
The girl thought for a moment, trying to remember. “Most people call me Quinn.” She answered finally, following Aunt Jane back home. Aunt Jane secretly hoped the girl would stay with her. It was very boring and dull in Twelker, and maybe having a kid would be fun.
Three years later, Quinn still lived with Aunt Jane. Since the day she had been found, Aunt Jane had paid to have a room added to the house, and had bought her all sorts of new toys and books. She bought Quinn a china doll with curly blonde hair and a blue dress with fluffy white trim on the edges, and a blanket with pictures of animals on it. She decorated Quinn’s walls with glow in the dark stars and posters of ponies and The Powerpuff Girls and she bought her all sorts of new dresses. She signed Quinn up for piano lessons and sent her to school. Everything was perfect.
Then a few days before Christmas break, it started.
“Alright children, I want you all to line up. I’m going to give you your parts for the Christmas musical this year.” Quinn’s teacher Ms. Carrie announced. Quinn eagerly lined up with her classmates, hoping to get the part of the candy cane fairy, the part she’d been practicing for since Halloween.
Hannah Miles pushed past her, smiling at Ms. Carrie and straightening her green velvet hair bow. “I’ve been practicing for ages, Ms. Carrie.” Hannah gushed.
“Oh, very nice, Hannah. Okay students, this year Santa will be played by Stephen LeVeck.” Ms. Carrie called out. Stephen clapped his hands in delight and took the script from Ms. Carrie.
“Rudolph the red nosed reindeer will be played by Lizzie Atron!” She called out cheerfully. Lizzie smiled as the rest of the roles were given out, one by one, until all that was left was the role of the candy cane fairy.“This is so exciting!” Hannah beamed, holding up her plastic hand mirror to admire her long golden hair. Quinn tried to ignore her, her attention returning to Ms. Carrie.
“And this year, the role of Santa’s daughter, the candy cane fairy, goes to… Hannah Miles!” Ms. Carrie declared. Hannah stepped up to the front of the room, taking a fake bow and smiling sweetly. Quinn stared wide eyed in disbelief.
“What part will Quinn play, Ms. Carrie?” Seth Rogers the kid who was playing a teddy bear asked.
“She… oh dear, there aren’t any more parts! How about you be the curtain puller? When a new act comes up, you pull the curtain!” Ms. Carrie suggested, nervously brushing a strand of her long black hair out of her face.
That evening, Quinn watched out the window of her room, her eyes glinting madly. She turned off her light, so the glow in the dark stars were the only things visible, neon green in the vast black space.
“How dare Hannah get the part? I had been practicing three whole months to play the candy cane fairy!” Quinn thought angrily.
All of a sudden, the doll she had on her floor flew up into the air, and then landed again. Quinn couldn’t believe it! Was it magic? Then her new clown doll fell from the shelf above her pony poster, but before it hit the ground, it flew back up again, twirling in circles. Quinn was doing magic, real magic!
“I should be the candy cane fairy! Hannah doesn’t deserve the part! I’ll bet she can’t do magic!” Quinn thought to herself. “I can move things with my mind and she can’t!”
The next day, Quinn woke up to the sound of Aunt Jane screaming in fright.
“The snow is red, like blood! In our yard, it’s all red! Is this some kind of sick prank?” Aunt Jane wailed. Quinn sat up, looked out the window, and saw that it was true. The snow outside all the other houses on the street was white, but the snow on Quinn’s house’s lawn was bright red, like blood.
“Quinn, don’t be scared. Some teenagers must have played a joke on us or something, okay?” Aunt Jane exclaimed, running into Quinn’s room. Then the phone rang.
“Ms. Carrie, hello… what? A freak accident? Hannah Miles is dead? Okay, I’ll tell Quinn. Bye.” Aunt Jane muttered.
“Aunt Jane, who was that?” Quinn asked.
“That was Ms. Carrie, Quinn. Hannah Miles fell out of her bedroom window somehow last night. Come on, we have to go shopping for your candy cane fairy costume.” Aunt Jane replied, eyeing Quinn warily as she smiled. Quinn put on her yellow rain slicker and headed out to the car with Aunt Jane, watching out the window.
“Quinn, do you remember anything about your parents?” Aunt Jane Asked suddenly. “Where did they live, and where did they work?”
“They worked at a chemical company, but they’re gone, so what does it matter?” Quinn told her.
“It doesn’t matter, I just wanted to know.” Aunt Jane sighed. Who was Quinn? What was Quinn?
She pulled the car up to the fabric store, where she always got Quinn’s clothes. Quinn looked around excitedly, trying to find the right fabric.
Then she saw it, the soft glittery white roll of fleece with red and green stripes and gold trim. It gleamed in the fluorescent ceiling lights. Quinn read the label, written in black marker. “Angel dust.” She whispered. “Aunt Jane, look at this!”
“Quinn, that’s way too expensive. How about this type?” Aunt Jane asked, holding up a roll of red plaid cotton. “It’s called Rocking Horse, and it’s very pretty.”
Quinn stared at it in anger. It was really pretty, but where was the glitter, or the gold trim? It just wouldn’t be the same!
“NO, I WANT THIS TYPE! NOW!!!” Quinn screamed. Before anyone could say another word, every window in the store shattered into millions of tiny glass pieces. Aunt Jane yelped and dropped the roll of fabric as the store clerk backed away fearfully.
“I don’t know what happened, sir!” Aunt Jane gasped, staring in terror at Quinn.
“Look, take your fabric for free, and take your monster child and go!” He shrieked. Quinn grabbed the “Angel Dust” fabric and followed Aunt Jane to the car.
“What are you? Why can you do these things?” Aunt Jane screamed. Quinn stared back innocently as drenching ice cold rain fell to the ground. Then Aunt Jane’s cell phone rang.
“Hello, Jane Erlenmeyer speaking. What? She’s dead, too? Oh no, I’ll… I’ll tell Quinn. Yes, goodbye.” Aunt Jane muttered.
“Well, what were you going to say?” Quinn demanded as Aunt Jane hung up the phone.
“That was the school principle. Ms. Carrie was getting some chemicals ready for the grade 9 science lab, and then all the doors and windows locked by themselves, and the chemicals spilled over by themselves, and they made this gas, and now she’s dead! Quinn, what are you?” Aunt Jane yelled.
Then a black car pulled up, the only other car in the parking lot, and a tall woman with frizzy red hair and safety goggles got out of the car.
“You escaped again, experiment Quinn112?” The woman scolded, grabbing her hand and pulling her into the car. The car sped away, and Aunt Jane looked up, a shocked expression on her face. It was still raining, but now the rain was turning red.
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »