The Sins of a Politician

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

The Lunatic

Chapter V:

The Lunatic

“Governor Pierce, you are under arrest for the murder of local doctor Albert Watkins,” said Patrick in a very formal and stern tone, as though he had never met Jameson before.

“Patrick, what are you-” Jameson began but he could not finish before Jameson interrupted him.

“You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney. Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?”

“What are you talking about, Patrick?” asked a bewildered Jameson.

“First of all, you will address me by using the word ‘officer’,” said Patrick refusing to look at Jameson. “You, Governor Pierce, were seen at exactly 2:30 last night manhandling local doctor Albert Watkins. His body was found at exactly 7:35 this morning lying on the sidewalk next to his office this morning with a slash through his neck. He had been dead for four hours. He bled to death in the night.”

“I assure you I have nothing to do with this,” said Jameson.

“Mr. Pierce, I have the orders to arrest you now,” said Patrick softly. “And I mean to do just that. If you resist, I can put up more charges on you. Right now, you are going to be charged with first degree murder.”

“On what? The fact that I was lying on my sofa at 2:30 last night?”

At this point, Patrick finally looked up at Jameson and talked as though he had been his friend before, but with a tone of disappointment. “Jameson, someone showed me video evidence, and I have to take you in. I didn’t want to believe it myself, but the evidence forced me to do my duty. I hope you will eventually forgive me for that.”

Jameson stood there for a second, not sure of what to think, and then let Patrick put him in the police cruiser without any argument. He knew that, presented with the evidence, Patrick had no choice. If he was the officer on duty, then he was just doing his job. Jameson knew that he would be in jail until a proper trial was held, and that Lieutenant Governor Jane Greebes would then take over as governor. He didn’t know what kind of evidence there was against him, but he didn’t think it had anything to do with the death of Charlie Baker.

The two of them didn’t talk for mostly the entire time, and it seemed very awkward to Jameson. He wasn’t sure if it was the end of his friendship with Patrick, but the arrest certainly didn’t help matters at all. He looked at his hands, which he had willfully let Patrick handcuff, and remembered that he had not told Julie or Anthony that he was going to be gone to prison. He was sure, however, that Lieutenant Governor Jane Greebes and her jealous husband knew and were ready to pounce on the job.

When he got to the jail, he saw that there were storm clouds coming and it was about to rain, which meant that he would be confined to his cell block with whomever he was sharing with. “Here we are, Jameson,” said Patrick. “One of the officers will take you from here.”

“Thanks, friend,” Jameson said in a sarcastic tone. Then Patrick turned around right as he was about to get in his police cruiser and had one last thing to say.

“Listen, Governor, you have my prayers and blessing in the hopes that all of this turns out to be nothing but a political scare,” he said. “I, however, do have a job to do, and I mean to do it.”

Then he left, and though Jameson was hurt by the fact that his own best friend arrested him, he would later thank him for it. A guard came out to get Jameson and take him inside to put him in the jail. He knew who the warden was, and hoped that because he was governor, the warden would go easy on him. However, that was not to be the case.

As soon as he got inside, Jameson was met with ten guards and the big and tough warden. “Governor, I am glad to see you,” said the warden tauntingly. Jameson was being taken to the warden’s office. “I am going to tell you now that I always thought your policies dealing with police officers were crap, Pierce, and now you will get to see why. We have the lowest budget for law enforcement in the country, and you will experience that.”

“I didn’t do anything,” growled Jameson as the guard that took him inside sat him in the chair.

The warden then looked around at the surrounding officers, and then back at Jameson. “Officers, if you could excuse us for a moment,” said the warden. The officers then proceeded to leave the office in a straight line with the last one shutting the door behind him. “Pierce, I hope you know that I have been looking forward to this for a long time.” He then walloped Jameson in the face with an extraordinary force.

“I thought I outlawed torture,” said Jameson as he regained his composure.

“You aren’t governor anymore, though,” snarled the warden. He then began to beat Jameson with an incredible amount of force that eventually led to Jameson lying on the ground, bruised and bleeding. “I hope you realize that you are no stronger than your son is when being beaten.”

Jameson looked up with his face bleeding and bruised. “What do you mean?” he snarled, wiping blood from his lips.

“I arranged for the kidnapping of your boy,” he snickered and continued to bruise and beat Jameson. “You are a prisoner now, Pierce, and I am going to enjoy having you here.”

A guard then came into the room and hoisted Jameson off of the ground and dragged him out of the room. Once out of the room, Jameson stood up and let the guard take him to his cell, which would hopefully be empty. He was afraid that if he had a cellmate that he would not last long in the prison, and he had never been in a spot where he had to physically defend himself. However, the guard came to the end of the hallway of cells, and stopped right in front of one that had no barred windows or even a simple barred door, but rather completely shut out from the rest of the world. This was solitary confinement, and Jameson was terrified as the guard opened the door.

“Solitary confinement?” Jameson said nervously.

“Yep,” said the guard, opening the iron door, and revealing that there was a man inside there

already. “You have company, Billy.”

The man was sitting in a corner, and didn’t turn around after the guard spoke to him. The guard threw Jameson to the ground in the cell, and shut the door before he could do anything. Billy didn’t do anything when the guard shut the door, and he had made no acknowledgement that Jameson was even present. For the time being, Jameson was alright with that, but it was kind of eery. He wasn’t going to make conversation until the opportunity presented itself.

Jameson walked over to the opposite corner from Billy’s and sat down staring away from the wall, looking at the ground. He never even got his one phone call that all prisoners were supposed to be allowed. He guessed that whoever this Billy guy was didn’t get it either, and that he should have fired the warden years before. He looked over at the cot and realized it was only one, and that one of them would have to sleep on the ground. It was still mid-morning, and Jameson had not had anything to eat all day, and figured he probably wouldn’t get much the entire day. For that, he decided to make conversation with Billy, or at least try. Billy actually spoke first, but continued to face the corner making it impossible for Jameson to see his face.

“Governor Pierce, right?” he said in a scratchy voice, with a somewhat grim tone in it. “Well, just letting you know, the food here is the worst thing you will ever eat.”

“Why did the warden beat me up so much?”

“The same reason he does that to everyone,” said Billy in a mystic tone, and still with a very scratchy voice. “He hates people, and he finds that being the warden in a prison is very convenient for being able to take that hatred out.”

“He arranged for the kidnapping of my son yesterday!” said Jameson, who was raising his voice and getting angrier while forgetting his own pain.

“It wouldn’t be the first time I’m sure that he kidnapped someone,” said Billy. “He is an infamous child abuser, and he has been able to get away with it by bribes for decades.”

“Well, as soon as my innocence is proven I am firing him and putting him in prison!”

“You assume that your innocence will be proven. This law enforcement system is corrupt, and there are many innocent prisoners in this prison, but none of them are ever proven innocent.”

“What about you?” asked Jameson, who was actually getting interested in Billy’s life.

“I’m guilty, and one of the few who are,” answered Billy. “I murdered a man five years ago in cold blood because I caught him having an affair with my wife. What did you do?”

“Well, Billy, I did nothing,” replied Jameson. “My former friend Patrick, who is a police officer came to my door early this morning and told me that he had video evidence that I killed some doctor last night that I had never even heard of.”

“Why don’t you tell me what has happened in your words over the past two days,” said Billy. “It might help to get it off your chest, and we literally have nothing better to do.”

“Well, you’re right about that,” said Jameson, and he figured that it might help just to discuss it with someone. “Well, it started on Wednesday. I had won the gubernatorial election by a landslide, but our family was arguing a over the discussion of politics at the breakfast table. My wife stormed out of the kitchen and into her room. Then my son Anthony and I had a more thoughtful discussion, in which he did have a point. However, at the time I was too mad at my family so I stormed out to have a meeting with the people involved in my reelection campaign.

“Well, the people there were saying how glad they were that I won, and then said how I should make a presidential run in four years. I already had told my family and a few friends earlier in the morning that I was going to run for president in four years, so we started plotting out how I was going to go about doing that. We mainly agreed on the fact that we were going to run a strictly positive campaign that wasn’t tearing down the other guy.

“Well, once the meeting was over I went straight home to greet my family and apologize for how I had acted earlier in the morning. When I got home, however, what I saw was my wife in a state of hysteria I have not seen since my mom watched my dad die, and my son was missing. I had to act as a comfort to her, even though I was just as worried as she was. We made some phone calls and then waited for what seemed like days, but was really only a few hours until Patrick brought Anthony home.

“I didn’t get a chance to relish in the fact that my missing son had been found, though, because Patrick had a little discussion with me first. He told me that I was a suspect in the murder of my opponent Charlie Baker. Now, I had not heard until then that he was murdered, and he told me not to tell my wife about it, so I didn’t.

“This all left me with a restless sleep that night. I remember a vivid nightmare that night though. I dreamed that I got up in the middle of the night and went to check on Anthony in his room, but he was not there. I then, in the dream, proceeded to walk down to the basement and see if he was maybe in the kitchen, he was not, and I started to panic. Then I saw a figure that appeared to be my son outside, so I let him in. When in there, I saw that it definitely looked like Anthony, but he was more monstrous looking. His skin was almost scaly, and his fingernails looked like talons. His ears were pointed, and his teeth were more like fangs. His eyes terrified me the most, which looked at me with a red glow, and I passed out in my dream. The next morning, I woke up peacefully in my bed by my wife, but I felt very weakened.”

“Wait, stop right there,” said Billy, then he stood up. Jameson looked up at Billy, and he saw a man with his face almost mutilated from scars and bruises, and his hair was mostly gone in the front. He walked towards Jameson with a limp on his left leg, and Jameson noticed that one of his arms was missing.

“What happened to you?” asked Jameson.

“The warden happened,” replied Billy. “But that’s not why I stood up. When you described your son in your nightmare, I remembered a similar occurrence in my past, only it wasn’t a dream. It was real, and I didn’t pass out, but rather ran to the church.”

“What are you saying?” asked Jameson.

“You were not dreaming, Pierce, and your son’s appearance was real. You are dealing with something beyond your control, and I have a feeling that I don’t want to be around you tonight.”

“It’s not like we can do anything about it,” replied Jameson, confused as to what Billy was implying.

“You said you felt weak last night, right?” said Billy. “Well, continue the retelling for yesterday.”

Jameson took a deep breath, and then began again. “Well, not much happened that day. I went over to the Lieutenant Governor’s office to go over any evidence that we thought anyone had obtained in framing me for the murder of Charlie Baker. Well, it turns out there was evidence and it was likely that I was going to be arrested, so I stormed out of there quickly to run home and tell my wife, who was already distressed with Anthony’s kidnapping and sickness. She was furious when I told her what me and Patrick had discussed and went to bed right after checking on Anthony. I slept on the sofa that night, and went to bed soon after her. I checked on Anthony before I went to bed, and he looked very sick. I worried about him all night.

“I had another very restless sleep last night. It was another nightmare, almost more terrifying though. I dreamt that I got up and went outside, downtown I guessed. I dreamt that I saw my opponent Charlie Baker, and he had his head seemingly sewn back on his neck, but in the dream for some reason I was not afraid. I also remember someone coming up to me, though I don’t remember who, and we began to fight. I forget what exactly happened, but I woke up soon after that, and then I saw Patrick at my door.”

Billy stood there for a moment without speaking, and bent down to look at Jameson’s neck, then stood back up and spoke again. “Jameson, I think we need to find a way to get out of here now.”

“That would be wonderful if it were possible,” said Jameson. “These walls are made of stone, and the door is made of cast iron.”

“The walls aren’t the sturdiest in the world,” replied Billy. “Because you cut funding to the renovation of prisons, it was never done.”

“It will still take days to dig out from this prison.”

Billy went over to the far wall, and looked on the ground for something to dig with. “It better not, because I think we will both die come nightfall, and you will kill me the same way you killed Dr. Watkins, as a vampire.”