The Key of Youth | Teen Ink

The Key of Youth

By TigerPrincess, Roy, Utah
TigerPrincess, Roy, Utah

I walked in the front door of my house and went to the kitchen and grabbed one of my mother’s home made chocolate chip cookies and started eating. I was about to go to my room when I remembered I had some homework today from school and should go do it.

I decided I would go to my favorite place so I could concentrate. I walked out the back door of my house which was right on the edge of the woods and walked for about a mile to my spot. It was a gorgeous spot, near the river, the trees were full of moss and stood tall and brave. They always felt like protection to me, after growing up here. My spot was on a giant hollow log lying on the forest floor, it was the perfect seat and I came here so often I could find my way back home with my eyes closed.

I sat down and started doing my homework. My parents wouldn't be home for another few hours and my older sister, Elise was at her friend’s house until tomorrow so I could stay here as long as I wanted.
I loved coming out here and enjoying the beautiful forest. My best friend and I always played in the woods when we were little. We would camp out here at night and play games and tell scary stories. Ever since then I have loved coming in the woods, it always brings back memories. We still come out here and hang out all the time and especially for camping. We used to get lost sometimes, because we always got curious what was out there so we would go as far as we could. But our parents taught us how to find our way back, so we only had the police searching for us once.
For my homework I had a couple worksheets from English about nouns and verbs and adjectives and things like that. They were very easy. Then I had a page of math with about 20 problems which were just as easy but took lots of time to get through. I was a freshman in high school and was not finding the amounts of homework to be easy. Elementary was such a piece of cake I now realized.

Once I finished my homework I guessed I had been out for maybe an hour and decided I better head back home. On my way back I looked at the sky and predicted it would rain soon. The air was starting to feel very chilly and the wind had kicked in a bit more.

A few minutes of walking I saw something move out of the corner of my eye and whipped my head to the side to look. I didn't see anything when I looked over. “It was probably a deer,” I thought to myself and shook the thought off. But then something sparkled on the ground a few yards away and I walked over to see what it was.

Lying in the dirt was a key. This was no ordinary house key. In fact it was a beautiful key, probably the prettiest I had ever seen. It was gold and had all sorts of gems on it and had beautiful designs and in the middle was something I couldn't see. I picked it up, surprised at how clean it was. It couldn't have been on the ground for more than a few days or it would be muddy from the rain.

I looked at the design in the middle and saw a picture of 2 children running and smiling. It was very small and hard to see. It was the strangest key I had ever seen, I definitely had to keep it. I slipped it in the pockets of my pants and headed home.

The next day at school I took the key with me to show my best friend Kate. We were on the bus to go home when I pulled it out of my bag and showed the key to her. She held her hand out and I dropped it in her hand. She looked at it closely with a puzzled expression. She handed it back to me and said, “That’s an interesting key. I wonder if it used to be on some girl’s necklace or something. Where did you find it again?”

“Not very far from my house. I was on my way back home from the spot by the river and I saw this sparkle on the ground,” I said to Kate. Then I remembered the figure I had seen move out of the corner of my eye and wondered if it really was a deer. The key had to come from somebody, which means somebody was in the woods behind my house. Maybe I did see a person. I wonder who it was. People walked out in the woods from time to time, Kate and I were not the only teenagers who hung out in the woods. But I still wondered.

As we turned down the road the houses started getting bigger as we neared closer to my neighborhood. When the bus stopped and I climbed out I said my goodbyes to Kate as she headed the opposite way to her house.

When I was only about 5 houses away from my own house I saw something move in somebody’s backyard and looked to the side. In the forest I saw a woman probably in her 50’s. She was stunning for her age and had beautiful dark brown hair down to about the middle of her back and even from here I could tell her eyes were as dark as night. She had a very unfriendly look to her and I immediately wanted to stay away from her with the way she glared. I knew for a fact that she did not live at the house she was standing behind. I had never seen this woman before.

A few hours after I got home I was fixing dinner, because it was my turn for the week and I was wearing my new key around my neck on a thin gold chain. I was going to set it down somewhere in my room to keep it but I felt odd parting with it so I decided I would wear it instead.

After dinner was done I called everyone to the kitchen to get themselves some pasta. Elise, my 16 year old sister walked in blabbering on her cell phone. She couldn't be apart from her friends for any amount of time and it was annoying. When she wasn't with them she was yapping on her phone or texting them. She never did anything with me anymore. My dad told her she better turn off her dang phone or he was going chuck it in the trash. That got her attention and she said into her phone, “I have to go, Jared.” And she shoved her phone in her pocket.

“You sure talk to him an awful lot for not liking him,” I said to her with a smug look on my face, remembering our conversation about him a few days ago.

“I never said I don’t like him but I don’t like him like that,” Elise replied, giving me a look to shut up.

“Well,” Dad said, “if Vivian thinks you like a boy I think I have reason to be concerned.” Elise glared at me with a look that said, “now look what you have done.” I smiled back innocently.

“Dad,” Elise argued, “I don’t like anybody and even if I did it’s not your business or Mom’s or Vivian’s business. So please lay off and don’t embarrass me like you did with Jack.”

“I didn't like the way that Jack boy looked at you, and I still don’t like him,” Dad said, looking slightly disgusted.
“Dad. He was gay,” Elise said smugly.
I snickered quietly. Mom, who had been conveniently quiet this whole conversation laughed loudly then covered her mouth. Dad gave us a look and we both silenced, trying not to smile.

After we finished with dinner Mom and Dad left to go to their friends’ house for an adult night out and Elise and I were left alone in the house. Elise was going to take off and do something with her friends but I pointed out that our parents wouldn't be very happy with that considering she just spent 3 days at her friend’s house.

“I don’t care. I am old enough to decide when I can be in or out of the house,” Elise said with an attitude.

“You go ahead and tell yourself that. You’re only a junior in high school. They would whoop your butt and you know it.” I didn't admit that I just wanted her to hang out with me instead of her friends for a change. I didn't want to be the whiny little sister begging for attention.

Elise sighed, “I guess I have stuff to do here tomorrow, anyway. I might as well stay home.”

I had a little moment of silent victory and said, “Well then how about we do something tonight, we haven’t done anything together in a while.”

“OK. But I’m a bit tired so let’s just go down to the theater room and watch some movies. I’ll meet you down there, I’m gonna go get some blankets and my pillow.”

We both went to our rooms and grabbed some of our pillows and blankets and then we tried to choose a movie to start with down in our theater room. It was a fancy room with a projector on one wall and raised floors on the other side with the comfiest of couches and chairs. The walls were a dark brown as was the soft fluffy carpet covering the floors. There were lights along the walls just like in a real theater that could be dim or bright. There were even lights on the edges of the raised platforms so you wouldn't trip over them in the dark.

I called dibs on my favorite chair in the middle of the back row, it was huge and comfy and had a foot rest which popped out. Elise dumped all of her things on the couch next to it and went to pick a movie. I decided some popcorn would be nice so I went over to our little snack bar and got the popcorn machine started. I also grabbed some chocolate covered pretzels.

A few minutes later we were both in our seats, in our cozy pajamas with our snacks, ready to watch some old classic Disney movies. We started with Beauty and the Beast. But we didn't watch much instead we stayed up and talked. She talked about her time at her friend’s house and after I pushed enough I finally got her to admit her little crush on Jared. Then she asked me if I had anyone special and I laughed, “No! To be honest I really don’t like anybody and I haven’t since that Shawn guy last year. Once I found out what a pervert he was I kind of decided to swear off guys for a bit.”

“Oh come on,” Elise said. “They are not all like that! Jared isn't.” When she said his name she couldn't even keep the smile off her face. She had it bad. I was glad that we were talking like this again. We hadn't done this since last year probably. I felt so happy being able to have fun with my sister again. Since summer started she was gone all the time on road trips or whatever with her friends that I honestly didn't like very much. She had finally gotten her drivers’ license last summer which I had thought would mean she would be able to take me places so I wouldn't have to have my parents go with me everywhere and so we could go places together without our parents. But instead she started visiting her friends more.

After watching Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella (even though we hardly watched them at all) it was about 1 in the morning and we had turned off the TV and Elise was sound asleep but I was up thinking still. I was thinking about my key that I reluctantly left upstairs in my bedroom, hidden in one of my dresser drawers. I wanted to go get it but I didn't know why it was so important to me. It was just a stupid key I found in the forest. It’s not like it would actually unlock a treasure or anything. That would be cool though, to find a map that led to a treasure somewhere in the woods that my new key would unlock. That would be so fun!

I finally started to drift off when I heard light footsteps on the main floor above us and I was going to ignore it, thinking it was just my parents returning home, although very late. The footsteps walked up the stairs to the 3rd floor and it became much more difficult to hear them anymore. Then I heard the noisy, undeniable sound of my closet doors opening in my bedroom. “What are they doing snooping in my room?” I asked myself out loud.

I decided I would sneak up the stairs and watch them to see if I could find out what they were doing in my room before I confronted them. As I reached the top of the stairs I was on tiptoes and walking silently against the wall where the floor was less likely to creak. I slowly, cautiously peaked my head around the wall into my room and almost gasped when I didn't see my father or mother but instead long dark brown hair falling down a woman’s back, which was turned to me. She turned slightly to the side and I recognized her. It was the woman I had seen in the woods earlier. She was now rummaging through my dresser, trying hard to stay quiet and keep things the way they were. I pulled my head quickly back so she wouldn't see me and my heart started pounding in my chest so hard I swear she could hear it. I snuck back down the stairs quickly. Once I was at the bottom I ran to the theater room to alert Elise.

Somebody was in my house. It was only a middle aged woman but I didn't get a friendly vibe from her earlier and friendly or not she was in my house when the doors had been carefully locked along with the windows. She was snooping in my bedroom, and had somehow snuck into my house to do it. That is not my opinion of friendly.

I had gotten to the theater room and was about to wake Elise when I heard the footsteps again on the main floor. They were heading towards the back door. I never heard the door close so I ran as quietly as I could to the kitchen. The back door was closed so I walked closer to the glass doors and peaked through the blinds and saw a dark figure moving through the cold night air. It was raining the softest of showers on the woman’s head as she ran off deeper in the woods, until eventually she was out of sight.

I ran upstairs to my room and went to the dresser first since that was what I had seen her digging through earlier. I searched my drawers and didn't notice anything missing until I looked in the drawer I had specifically put my key in and found it missing.

I woke up early the next morning, Elise was still sleeping and I had hardly slept a wink last night. I grabbed my pillow and blankets and walked back to my bedroom, which gave me the chills after having a robber in it last night.

Once in my room I set my things on my bed and walked over to my dresser, missing my key and wanting it back so badly. I should have been grateful that something more important wasn’t stolen. That key wasn’t valuable to me at all, or it shouldn’t have been. I should have been glad that she hadn’t had something worse than stealing on her mind. She may have been older but I had no idea what she was capable of. Although I did know I wasn’t capable of much when it came to self defense.

I dragged my feet to the bathroom, feeling tired from my lack of sleep the night before. After I had gone to the bathroom and washed my hands I grabbed my hair brush and was about to work through my tangled hair when I looked in the mirror for the first time that morning. I wanted to scream but I couldn’t. Then I started thinking about what on earth could have happened to me. Then I thought I was crazy and I started pacing the bathroom, not having a clue if I was crazy or if something really weird was going on. I walked back to the mirror and stared at myself in horror. I looked like a 50 year old version of myself.
*****

About 20 minutes after pacing the bathroom I had decided I needed to leave the house before Elise found me like this. I had left a note saying I was going into the big city with some of my friends with their older sister driving us and I begged her to cover for me. I hoped it would work with her since I had done the same thing for her one time when she took off to the city to party for a few nights.

I had grabbed a few things necessary for staying in the woods, which I knew of well because my dad had told me over and over in case any kind of emergency ever happened where we needed to live in the woods for a while.

I thought about what had happened to me as I walked and came to the conclusion that this had something to do with that woman in my house the other night. She was strange, that I could tell from the moment I saw her. There was something about her that creeped me out from the beginning. I needed to find her and make her tell me what she did. Even though it scared the crap out of me.

This time I had gone much farther into the woods than I ever went except for on a few occasions I had come out this far. I knew there wouldn’t be any civilization for a very long time.
At what I would have guessed to be around 4 in the afternoon based on the sun I found a small little village which surprised me very much. I had never heard of this place and there wasn’t supposed to be anything here according to the internet and maps. It wasn’t a city at all from the size there were only about 40 small houses and a few very small buildings. They all appeared to be very old. I decided I should ask somebody here for help. I walked up to a random little house and knocked on the door, my hand shaking from nerves.

The door opened and a woman about the age of 20 opened the door. She had long dark hair, almost black, and bright blue eyes which seemed to draw me in. She got a look of fear on her face when she saw me and she just stared at me for a moment, looking over every inch of me. After inspecting me she hurried me inside, still looking very afraid, which confused me because she was inviting me inside her house.

“Who are you and why have you brought yourself here? Do you realize how dangerous it is here?” The woman asked me, looking afraid I realized not for her but for me. Or maybe both of us.

“No I don’t know how dangerous it is here but right now I have nowhere else to go. I am looking for somebody who I think did something to me and I need her to fix it,” I said to her, hoping she would be able to help me.

“Who are you looking for?” She asked me. She motioned to a chair sitting across from a couch that she walked over to and sat on. I sat down uncomfortably on the chair and looked around the living room. It was much different from the outside of the of the house, which was small, old and rotting away. The inside however was very large and very modern. I could see part of a loft sitting above a hallway that led down to what looked like the kitchen from here. It was a very nice house inside.

“I’m not entirely sure all I can do is tell you what she looks like.” I described the robber to this woman and I could tell she was going into thought thinking about if she knew this person or not. Her blue eyes stared into space as she thought and I wondered who she was. “What is your name?” I asked her.

“My name is Saria. This woman you speak of sounds familiar. I think she may have lived here in this village once. May I ask what is it she did to you? I may be able to help you more if you tell me.”

I studied Saria’s face, searching it for honesty. I just met this woman but I was desperate for help and she looked very kind and empathetic. I could not stay like this forever. Nobody would know who I was and I would have to figure out adult life real quick with no help from anybody. “I think she stole my youth from me.”

Recognition appeared on Saria’s face. “I may be able to help you. Would you be kind enough to tell me your name and your true age?”

“My name is Vivian and I am 14 years old. Please tell me what has happened to me,” I pleaded.

Saria let out a sigh, and looked at me, now she was wondering if she could trust me. After a moment of thought she said, “We are witches. I don’t know if you will believe me because I know that you are a human and humans rarely find out about us. But at this point I would imagine it wouldn’t be too much of a shock after literally losing your youth overnight.”

I nodded. It was true. It was shocking and I still had a hard time believing any of it and wondered if the both of us were crazy people who belonged in a mental hospital. But I decided I would listen to her and motioned for her to go on.

“Warlocks do not treat witches well and look at us as an object. We are only here to bare them children, and be their maids and clean for them. We are of no further meaning to them. So once we have passed our time of beauty and become old they kill us. They would rather have a beautiful wife to bare them children and we cannot clean or cook or watch after their children as well in our old age. So they kill us as soon as we reach the age of 35. Which is why you should not be here, you are old and you are human. Warlocks would not like you being here. This woman who stole your youth was a witch who lived here about 20 years ago and she ran off when she neared the age of 35, as many witches do, to try to find somebody to steal youth from. But the problem is, much of a witch’s power is taken away from her at birth by warlocks so we cannot overpower them, so it is difficult to take away somebody’s youth and many witches grow old and die alone trying.” She paused. “I believe this woman you speak of stole your youth from you like these witches.”

“How did she do it?” I asked Saria.

“As I understand, most witches use a trick that is very old and common for those who run away from murder. They use one of the few spells that they can, which is creating a key of youth. This key is made so that whoever touches it will be able to lock their youth away and keep it for as long as they want, but their youth can also be stolen if somebody takes the key from its owner. Whoever takes the key with the intention of stealing away your youth will then earn the youth of the key’s owner. In this case that is you. She made this key hoping to attract you to it so your youth would become vulnerable and then she could steal your youth. I think I may be able to help, but there will be consequences.”

“What would they be?” I asked.

“I am not sure. I do not have enough power to help you with my own powers but I can ask the spirits of deceased witches to help you, who will need to give you a consequence for using their power. It is not their choice. Once witches have passed they earn their powers back completely but do not like to use them on the living for it has consequences.”

“Well I don’t have much of a choice I guess. So let’s do it.”
*****

A while later we were in a cave with candles all over the cave floor. Saria had lit them when we came in with her magic. In the far side of the cave there was a small pool of water which glowed faintly, I assumed from magic. Saria sat in the middle of a circle of candles and whispered quietly in a language I did not understand or recognize. After about 5 minutes of waiting for Saria to finish her conversation with the dead the pool in the corner started splashing on its own until eventually a woman of about 30 years of age floated above the pool, she was slightly transparent and looked like Saria. They both had dark hair, even darker than my thief’s. Saria’s was very long but this woman’s hair was about to her shoulders. They both had stunning blue eyes and creamy white skin, like silk. She looked at me first and studied me with confusion then turned her attention to Saria and said, “What have you called me here for daughter?”

“This woman standing between us is not really a woman. She is only a girl and her youth has been stolen by a witch who ran away from the village many years ago. I ask for your help mother, she does not deserve this. It is not fair for a young one to sacrifice her youth for an old woman who was too afraid of death. You know that which is why you did not run, you faced death bravely and I will do the same. Please help us mother,” Saria begged her mother.

“I will be able to help her but there will be a consequence for her. But this consequence may be able to save the witches of this time, and the witches of the future from having to experience an early death as I and many other witches have,” said the spirit of Saria’s mother.

“Tell me, what is the consequence she must face?” Saria asked.

“She must become a witch. But because she is not a witch infant the warlocks will not have a chance to steal her powers. She may be able to save our community and witches may have rights again, for the first time in centuries.”

Saria looked at me sympathetically, obviously not wanting me to suffer like she has all her life because of being a witch. I had known this woman for a few hours and she had shown me such kindness I had to return the favor. Without her, I may have never been able to get my youth back at all or worse, if she had turned me away when I knocked on her door, a warlock could have seen me. And they would for sure kill me. I had to show Saria how grateful I was for her kindness. I needed to save the witches. It would be a hard task because I would have no more power than a warlock but with a little help and planning I could defeat the warlocks. Then witches and warlocks would be equals.

I stepped forward as bravely as I could towards Saria’s mother and said, “I accept these consequences and I promise I will try my hardest to fight for fairness among witches and warlocks.”

Saria’s mother smiled at me with gratitude and said, “Then please come closer.”

15 years later, Vivian lived a happy life as a witch in their community after successfully winning fairness among warlocks and witches. It was a very hard task and took a lot of convincing, she did not want to kill anybody in the process so it took a long time, though she was successful. She now lives as the leader of their community and many of the other witch communities in the world, although she still has a few to win over. But she lives happily with her husband (who treats her 100% fairly), a warlock who fell in love with her after she proved that witches were just as important as warlocks, and she has 1 little witch daughter who thanks to Vivian was able to keep all of her powers at birth. Vivian also has 2 warlock sons. The witch community has reached the height of happiness, thanks to Vivian’s braveness.