My Caution Tape Angel

Author's note: My Creative Writing teacher from a year ago inspired me to try to express my creative mind in the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My Creative Writing teacher from a year ago inspired me to try to express my creative mind in the form of a book. I hope that everyone who reads this will feel the same way i did when writing it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7

My Angles

All the pieces had clicked. The gloves always in his pocket, the small folded ‘laundry bag’ in his coat, and the wonderful job as a pastor as an alibi. He was the perfect suspect that was never suspected! But his reason… why would he pick MY FAMILY of everyone in Bogart? Well, I guess that hasn’t mattered until now, but I didn’t know it was his entire fault. As we pulled into the parking lot of the funeral home, my mind was scouring through what might have happened. What did he do this? Out of all people why my family? What did we ever do to them? Everything just didn’t make sense. I couldn’t figure out why this had happened to my family. To me! What did my family or I ever do to make the pastor of our church want to kill the closest people to me? I surly remember not doing anything to upset him. Or maybe…maybe the reason he did this to my family was because he wanted the peach farm. I remember now. My mother always talked about the farm and how when Gamma would die the farm would be hers. She always talked about moving to the farm because people would always ask how Gamma is. (Everyone knew Gamma, she was the sweetest person to everyone and she always made people smile.) She talked about how Gamma was getting better and how she would take her to a senior center, since Grandpa barely stayed home. She was getting lonely and the senior center would be a nice place for her to stay, as Momma always said. Gamma was always so cheerful and happy when Momma talked about going to a senior center. She didn’t want to go but you could see she was smiling because she knew Momma wanted the best for her. But was that really what she wanted? * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Pastor Mitchel had this weird smile on his face, telling me that I might be in danger. Slowly I backed out of the limo, and pushed my back against a tall brick pole. He followed me, still smirking, raising his hand he waved towards me. “Lilly, its best that you don’t tell anyone what you know. At least until I change my family’s name and we move again.” He whispered as he came closer to me. A small white cloth and a teal bottle were pulled from his deep, never-ending pocket. My head flashed from side to side as I struggled to get away from him and his “Forgetful” rags. Just as his hand was about to grab me by the neck, those lifesaving blue and red lights came flashing into sight, and a reassuring voice rang over the speaker, “Freeze Mitchel… You are under arrest for the murder of Nancy Grimmer and her mother. You have said your last prayer, and you can learn how to say more behind the cold metal bars of jail.” The whole scene was crazy. At a funeral for my grandmother and mother, was where there killer was found. I don’t think I will ever forget the dreaded day that this all happened… Or the family either. Besides, they are the family who took care of me after it all happened. Liam and Mackenzie were kinda like my siblings, yet we weren’t related. And that’s ok, because they were angels, my caution tape angels.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7