My Caution Tape Angel

Author's note: My Creative Writing teacher from a year ago inspired me to try to express my creative mind in the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My Creative Writing teacher from a year ago inspired me to try to express my creative mind in the form of a book. I hope that everyone who reads this will feel the same way i did when writing it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

The Truth Comes Out

My 15th birthday was coming up in 3 short days. The only thing I really wanted was to know who had killed my mother and grandmother. Liam took me to the mall and bought me a really pretty heart shaped necklace. All the while my mind was off in a dream kind of land. It had only been this morning that Pastor Mitchel had told me that the funeral will be on my birthday and that he would be preforming the ceremony. He also told me that I would be preforming my song that I wrote about how family was everything to me. It was pretty much a prayer of safety to the rest of us Grimmer’s. Every night I have had a dream that an angel came to me in the field and told me who had wronged us, but before I could hear the name, I would wake up. Maybe it was just the cool breeze of the outside world that was getting to my head, but maybe it was a sign from momma and gamma. That’s what I’m hoping at least.
The 3 days went by in what seemed like a few hours… But when the day came that the funeral would happen, something happened. Right as I was walking out the door I saw two familiar faces. Mike and Liam were standing by the side of a white stretch limousine. “Lilly, come on the Funeral starts in 30 minutes, and we have to drive all the way to the main town.” Walking down the stairs of the front porch in my cowgirl boots was really hard when you could barely see where you are going because of the tears welling in my eyes. All I wanted was to turn invisible, I couldn’t stand to see all my family and friends there in there black clothes to grieve over my family. Even if it was what you are supposed to do, I didn’t want to see it today. After all, it wasn’t just the funeral, it was my birthday too. The sky was a grayish black and it smelled like rain. Driving out there was hard, and long. Sitting in the back of the long limo, with Liam, mike, grandpappy and the other Mcmanns was something the exact opposite of where I thought I would figure it all out, figure out who had flipped my world to the far other side of perfect. Just sitting, listening to small talk and thinking it all over. Liam was the first to see my eyes get big and my face turn to a sickly white color, “Lilly. What’s wrong? You look like you have seen a ghost.” He says and looks around hoping to have someone agree with him. But before I even opened my mouth, Pastor Michal butted in and started to fill the car with silly stalling things like ‘happy birthday’ and ‘wow look at you too love birds’ but I wasn’t going to have it. All of the pieces were starting to click in my head and I wasn’t about to let that get away from me. “Why pastor Mitchel? Why?” Is all I could squeeze into his rambling. He just stopped, and looked around, hoping that no one else knew what I did. I knew he was the BB killer, I knew his true identity.