My Caution Tape Angel

Author's note: My Creative Writing teacher from a year ago inspired me to try to express my creative mind in the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My Creative Writing teacher from a year ago inspired me to try to express my creative mind in the form of a book. I hope that everyone who reads this will feel the same way i did when writing it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

I just dont know

I put the phone back on the wall and yell up the stairs to everyone that we need to go to the rock, with no time to waste. Then I realize, I haven’t heard from Gamma in a while. She went up to her bedroom about an hour ago for a nap and I haven’t heard from her since! As Liam comes down the stairs I hear her door creek open and her feet shuffle down the long hallway. Thank goodness she is okay. I think to myself. “Gamma? Come on down the police are coming back to the house… They want us outside!” Right before she walks down the stairs to me and Liam, two gloved hands reach out, grabbing her from where she stood. “Gamma!” I shriek, “No!” I lunge toward the stairs but before I could go any further, Liam grabs my shoulder and pulls me out to the rock. My eyes are full of tears, and I feel like another part of me died inside. First my mother, and now my grandma? Why did this person want to ruin my life? “Liam why did you pull me away? I was about to see who had done this to my family and you took that opportunity from me.” I cry into his shoulder, my face burning with tears. I couldn’t make out any other words to say but gone. My mother was gone. My step father, gone. Now my grandmother, gone. Who else in my life would be gone? My heart was almost dead; the only person left to help me was Liam, and he doesn’t even help much. My life had totally switched from a fantastic day with the McManns, to a terrible day of loss.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I didn’t want to be in the yellow house anymore. There was too much pain there. My room was blocked off by yellow tape and body lines. Georgia weather in the summer wasn’t terribly bad, so I decided to sleep on the hammock by the river. Being the farthest thing from the house. Between my grandma and my mom, being the closest family to me, my grandfather was the only family I really had left. Ever since Daddy left when I was a baby, Momma, Gamma, and I have been closer than ever since then the three wise men following baby Jesus’ star. For the first time since the murders, I felt relaxed and safe. Swinging on my new bed, in my new room. The outside always made me calm. Cool peachy breezes whipping through my brown hair, laying in the bug plush green field. How can life go on? How can there be happiness around me? Life as I knew it was crumbling around me, losing all purpose. Liam came by later with a new pillow and blanket for me, from their family. We sat there under the stars for about an hour, listening to the crickets chirp and the river flow. I break the silence and say “Liam, do you think that whoever did this is sorry? Do you think the regret it?” he just sighed and said “Lilly… I don’t know. I just don’t know.