My Caution Tape Angel

Author's note: My Creative Writing teacher from a year ago inspired me to try to express my creative mind in the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My Creative Writing teacher from a year ago inspired me to try to express my creative mind in the form of a book. I hope that everyone who reads this will feel the same way i did when writing it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Secrets

In the car on the way to grand pappys, I got a text message from a number I have never seen before… 404-927-8872. It said “Hey Lilly, you’re really pretty. I am so happy to have met you. Want to grab a lunch one day? –SA” SA? Who was SA? How had they gotten my number?
So many questions were floating in my crowded mind. Finally, my shaking fingers managed to type out “Who is this, do I even know you?” My freshly painted nails hover the send key until it hit its button hitting fate. As I waited for ‘SA’ to answer my text, I put my headphones in and sweet sounds of ‘Mercy Me’ flew into my ears. Suddenly, the alert of a text rang in my ears. I think I jumped in my seat a little and my heart raced while I opened the message. “It’s Liam. Liam Mcmann? ‘SA’ stood for secret admirer, but it’s not a secret anymore!” My heart leaped. The pastor’s super cute son liked me, and even better, I liked him.
Grand pappys house was on a small peach farm just outside of town. Before I was born they got an award for having the farm in the family name for over 250 years! So I’ve been going there my entire life. The whole house smells like pine trees and vanilla pie (they love that vanilla pie.) “Grandma! Grand-pappy! We’re here!” I yell up the old rickety stairs. Moments later an old prune like person in a yellow dress and curlers walked down the stairs. The fuzzy pink slippers I got her for Christmas were all tattered up on the toes and the sole seemed to be coming undone like they’d been worn on several occasions.
“Oh, Lilly I am so happy you could come, the neighbors will be joining us at supper tonight, is that okay?” she asked reaching the bottom of the stairs. A small groan left my mouth. I hated the neighbors. They always had a small hint of whiskey under their breath and always looked like rag dolls. “Grandma, I don’t like the Hills, they are so weird” I say even though I know it won’t help. “Oh dear, no not them, they moved out a while ago! A new family lives there now. The Mcmanns, they are very nice people.” Had grandma just said that? Is the awesome family from the church really coming to the big yellow house?!? The whole world seemed to fall into a silent heap. The old doorbell rang at last, and I fixed my hair for the 1,00oth time. Liam Mcmann and his family seemed to waltz into the room.