Maybe

Author's note: What inspired me to write this story was that some children are not treated like children and...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: What inspired me to write this story was that some children are not treated like children and they can be neglected by their own parents. I wanted to tell teens everywhere that no matter what, your talent will be discovered by someone, and you will be free.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Chapter 4 I am hunted down for my invention

The next morning, I got up and got dressed for school. I was so tired from not getting any sleep; I almost rolled down the stairs. But before I did, my bodyguard quickly caught me from taking one more step to my doom. I quickly opened my eyes and realized I was still alive.
“T-thanks for the save.” I said.
“Maybe I should have let you fall.” I almost fell asleep again, ignoring his words that were either true or false.
“Then do it.” I said in a trance, closing my eyes, and sleeping into his arms. He snorted.
“Soon, but not now. “ He said shaking me to wake up, but my eyes remained shut. “Now, let’s get you to school so that I can have some peace and quiet.” He placed me over his shoulders, grabbed my bag, and climbed down the stairs.
He placed me flat in the car and drove me to school. He thought it would be funny to put on the music loud and drive fast, and knocked me out of my seat.
“Ugh!” I moaned. I could see him smiling from the rear mirror. I quickly got up and sat up in my seat, and strapped on my seatbelt. Why? Is the question I always asked myself in the morning. Why do these things always happen to me? Will I have to live like this forever? I slouched in my seat. Well, if I do have to live like this for the rest of my life, I know my best friends will always be there for me.
The car stopped a few minute later. I got out of the car and started walking up to my school.
“Don’t do anything stupid.” My bodyguard explained.
“Yeah, yeah.” I mumbled.
“What?”
“Nothing.”
“Nathan!” I turned around, and he threw my bag in my chest.
“Nice throw.” He smiled.
“Maybe I should have thrown it harder.” I rolled my eyes, and left. I met with Zaire and Sequoya by the main door.
“OMG, it’s a ghost!” Zaire shouted. I stared at him like what the heck was he talking about. He started hitting my head with his bag. “Die again, stupid ghost!”
“Dude, cut it out!” He stopped hitting me.
“Oh, it’s you, Nathan. I thought you were a ghost.” I rolled my eyes. I saw my bodyguard out of the car, and almost came forward. I held up my hand to stop him, and gestured him to leave. He hesitated, but left. Zaire flushed. “Oh forgot about that big guy.”
“Who could, and what up with the ghost thing?”
“Look at you!” I looked down. I was wearing a white button down shirt, white pants, and a black tie. What was wrong?
“What?” I demanded. He rolled his eyes.
“You look like a freakin’ ghost! Since when do you wear so much white, and why’s your face all palish?” I shrugged, and walked inside to my locker. I quickly opened my locker and looked for my books. Sequoya and Zaire followed me. “Sequoya told me about the intruders, you all right?”
“I’m fine.” I said.
“Yeah Zaire, he said he was fine, now leave him alone, you’re so nosy!”
“Say’s the girl who wouldn’t stop talking to me all night if Nathan was alright.” I could feel my face burning up. When Zaire left, Sequoya shifted her feet uncomfortably.
“So, um…where do you want to go tonight?” I smiled.
“Wanna go to a movie theater?”
“Sure.” She responded. We both smiled and walked to our class together, with our shoulders touching.
The rest of my day went fine, well almost fine. Mr.Luisen wouldn’t stop staring at me, and always called on me for the answer. Zaire leaned close to me.
“Isn’t he freaking you out?” He hissed.
“A little.” I whispered back.
When school was over, I walked home with Zaire and Sequoya. My bodyguard wasn’t here to pick me up from school, so I had to walk home. I thought it was weird; he’d never let me walk home alone, especially with what happened yesterday. Zaire was talking to his parents on the phone.
“Yeah Dad, I know, okay, bye!” He said, slamming his phone close and grounding.
“Ooh, somebody’s got daddy issues.” Sequoya and I laughed. He punched me in the arm.
“Shut up. My parents have been all over me since they left for their new movie in England. Remember to do your homework, remember to me good, blah, blah, blah!”
“Zaire, they just care about you.” Sequoya explained.
“Yeah.” I said. At least Zaire’s parents loved him for real. At least he didn’t have to be hurt, at least Zaire’s parents loved him when he was born, and didn’t regret having him.
“What?” Sequoya said to me.
“What?”
“What were you mumbling?” Oh shoot, I was talking out loud?
“N-nothing.” I saw my house. “I’ll see you tonight.” I whispered to her, and ran to my house. By the gate, there weren’t any guards standing there. Weird. I took out my keys, and opened the gate by myself, and walked up the door.
“Hello?” I said. Nobody responded. This was very strange. I walked up to my room, and closed the door. First, I looked out the window. Okay, nobody was there. Phew! I opened the safe and took out my infiniter, and opened the screen. It was still loading and would take a few more hours. I placed it away and walked over to my laptop. I hadn’t been studying a lot for my medical test, and it was in a few days. I filled my brain with all the information I could fill it with. Who says becoming a doctor is easy?
A few hours later, I closed the laptop. My brain throbbed in pain, and my stomach rumbled for food. I walked down the stairs and heard a noise. BANG, BANG, BANG! I took a few silent steps. Was it Mom, Dad, or the guards? Was it Marina? No, these footsteps sounded like they were heavier, and there were a few of them. I saw two men walk from the front door .They smiled at me.
“Ah, there he is.” They announced. I took a few steps up, but then I felt a hand on my neck. I turned around and saw another man.
“Hello.” I ran down the stairs, and started running for the kitchen, but then, two more men came out of the kitchen. All the men, 5 is total surrounded me, and I was in the center of them. They all took out guns from their jacket pockets and smiled at me.
“Don’t make this harder for you, Nathan.” One said. How did he know my name? A woman walked from the crowd and in front of me.
“Hmm?” She wondered. “Don’t hurt him. If he doesn’t come easily, then you can knock him out.” She said. I quickly ran and the men followed. One of them was really fast and hit the butt of the gun on my head, and I fell down hard.
“I did it!” He yelled, but I wasn’t giving up that easily. I quickly got up again and ran to the nearest phone, which was the kitchen.
“Ugh!” They said and started chasing me again. Another man hit me with a chair, and knocked me on the floor.
“I think I got him!” He did hit me hard, but I still couldn’t stop fighting. I crawled over to my stomach, and tried to get up with all 4.
“He’s still not down, can I just shoot him?”
“No, we have specific orders from the bosses.” Who were their bosses? But right now, I couldn’t think about that. All I could think about was if I’d live. The woman handed the man on the floor something. It was a towel.
“Here, try this.” He turned me around, and pressed the towel on my mouth with one hand. It was making my mind swirl, but I tried my best to fight conscious and tried to kick and scream my way free. The towel smelled faintly of chloroform, which could put a person to sleep, but I tried to be strong.
“He’s still not out!” The man yelled. The woman took another towel, and a bottle filled with brown stuff. She dumped half the bottle of liquid on the towel.
“Try this, he’s a tough one.” The man took the towel away from my face, and I gasped for air. He then took the other towel, and pressed it against my mouth with all his might. I grabbed the man’s arm to stop him, but the chloroform was too much. I could feel my head spinning and my vision turned blurry. The man smiled, and took the towel away from my mouth.
“Nighty night Nathan.” I wanted to run away, now was my chance, but the chloroform took over my body, and I fell unconscious.
When my brain started to work again, all I could feel was my head throbbing like crazy. I opened my eyes but all I saw was black. I wanted to yell and scream for help, but felt something over my mouth. I shook my head, maybe I was still dreaming, but why could I hear voices?
“Take his blindfold off, I think he’s awake.” I felt my vision clear up, but blinked a couple of times. The light was really bright, and hurting my eyes. I was in my living room, and I saw a woman in front of me, and the men were covering the perimeter of the room. The woman smiled at me.
“Well, Nathan, you’re a tough one.” I moaned. What was it now! Couldn’t my life be like any normal 14 year old? But no, I always had to suffer. I tried to talk, but a gag was over my mouth.
“Take his gag out. Let’s see what he has to say.” My gag was taken off, and I coughed a few times to get that chloroform taste out of my mouth.
“Ugh! I hate the taste of chloroform!” I confessed. She smiled.
“Well, we wouldn’t have had to give it to you if you just stayed down.” I rolled my eyes.
“Nobody’s that stupid to listen to criminals, missy.”
“Ooh, this one’s got an attitude. Would you like one of my men to show you what they’ll do if you don’t listen to what I have to say? Show him boys.” They all took their guns out, and aimed it at me. I gulped.
“But you need me; you can’t just kill me without even telling me what you need.” She patted my checks.
“I like you Nathan, so please, don’t do anything stupid.”
“I’ll try my best.” I said sarcastically. She smiled, and walked over to the table, and sat down on it.
“Careful that was sent all the way from Paris. It’s a gift to my Mom.”
“Nathan, I know you really don’t care about that.” I smiled.
“Smart woman.”
“Smart boy. Now Nathan do you know what this is?” She said holding a bag.
“It’s a bag.” She sighed and opened the bag, and inside, was my infiniter. I gulped.
“A laptop.” She snickered.
“This isn’t just any laptop, is it Nathan?” I held my breath. “This is your invention, what do you call it, an infiniter?” I gave a big laugh.
“I built that invention? Ha-ha, that’s very funny. A 14 year old boy knows how to make a…an infiniter, what the heck is that?”
“It’s your invention, and stop playing dumb with us.” She flipped it over, and on a white label, it said, Inventor by Nathan Jamie. I sighed, stupid labels. “So, whose name is this, hmm, I think it’s yours. Nathan Jamie.”
“How do you know my name?”
“I have my resources. Now, how do you open it?”
“My voice command.”
“Only with your voice?” I nodded.
“Well than, use your voice to open it then?” I thought of something tricky, and risky.
“But…it also needs my finger print and all that stuff. But if I do open it, what would you want to do with it?”
“What do you kids say these days, duh? This invention could make us millions, or even billions! An invention like this has a huge price value.” I looked around. All the men were sitting down, watching TV, and eating cashews that were on the table.
“Seems like you’re the only one who cares about this.” She sighed.
“The pretty ones are always the smart ones.” I looked her over. She had black hair and her red lipstick might have been a little too much. She wore a beige overcoat, which wasn’t necessary, because it was only the middle of October. I looked at me. I was tied to a chair. My hands behind the chair, and my feet on the legs of the chair.
“So?” She sighed.
“Okay, but no funny business.”
“I’ve been living with parents who are very cruel to me, and I haven’t had the guts to escape yet. What do you think?” She smiled, and cut my feet and hands free.
“Just get to work.” I climbed out of the chair, and the woman sat on the couch, while I sat on my knees in front of my infiniter. I held my hands on it.
“Open, infiniter.” The screen opened up.
“Amazing.” The woman gasped.
“Welcome, Nathan Jamie, how are you?” I rolled my eyes.
“Don’t even ask. How many more minutes till all the data is done, infiniter?” I heard its motor running fast.
“Exactly 15 minutes, Nathan Jamie.” I waited. The woman laid back on the couch.
“Hope you didn’t have plan’s Nathan, you’re gonna be here for a while.”
“Aw man, I have a date tonight in a few minutes, couldn’t this have happened tomorrow?” She patted my head.
“Sorry hon.” I watched the screen as the infiniter loaded. The men were laughing it up watching SpongeBob, and the woman just stared at my invention in awe. My heart started beating faster. I needed to get out of here, and everybody was distracted. I had a 50-50 chance of making it out of here. It was risky, but what else had I got to lose. I watched the clock, and waited exactly two minutes. When the second hand pointed at the 12, I grabbed my infiniter and started running out of there.
“Men, catch him! Catch him!” But I was pretty fast. I ran out of the living room, and I heard the men started shooting. A few of the bullets hit the wall and our furniture’s. I hugged my invention and hoped I could make it out alive. A few bullets hit my back, but I didn’t feel the pain yet, because the chloroform had made my body go numb, but when I could feel pain, it would not be pleasant. A bullet hit my leg. My leg sank down on the ground. They were getting closer, and closer, and soon, I would be caught.
No! I thought. I quickly got up, and limped to the gate door, and outside. They fired a few more times as I was out on the sidewalk, heading for Sequoya’s house. A bullet hit my shoulder and my arm. I wanted to cry, but kept on running.
“Men, evacuate! Let’s go!” The woman yelled. I kept on limping to my friend’s house. Just a few more steps, come on Nathan, I thought. You can do it! I coughed up blood on the way to Sequoya’s house. My whole shirt was covered in blood, and it was spreading, fast!
Finally, I reached her house. I quickly ran her doorbell, because they could be coming for me, and I was running out my oxygen. Sequoya was talking to someone when she answered the door.
“I got it Mom!” She said, smiling. “Hi Nathan. NATHAN!” She yelled when she saw me. I kept my balance with the help of the door.
“S-Sequoya, I-I need you’re…” I couldn’t speak anymore, because blood was blocking my windpipe. Sequoya grabbed my shoulders.
“Nathan, what happened?!” I sank to the floor, but she quickly caught me. “Nathan, Nathan, Nathan!” She said, slapping my face. I could see her crying, but that was the last image I had of her before my eyes rolled over my head, and I fell out of consciousness.

Born2Love97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this. It's really good and you're one of those few people with the gift too! Happy Writing!! :)

Nimra replied...
Sept. 16, 2012 at 9:52 pm :
Your too kind!

Nimra said...
So frightening!