The Key

Chapters:   1 2 Next »

A Prophecy

I walked into class feeling good with my I-POD blasting music in my ears, my hoodie hung over my head obscuring my head phones from the teachers view. “Natasha!” the computer teacher Mr. Kennedy yelled at me. I scoffed. “What now!”. He gestured at my head. “No hoodies Natasha” I slid down my hoodie yanking off my headphones as I did so. “Give me the I-POD” he said.

“You can have it back afterschool” He said making me furious. I shoved out my I-POD and wrapped the headphones around it and handed it over.

“Thank you Natasha for being so cooperative” he said. I gave him the look and he shut up and left me alone.

“Ok class” he said as I sat down. “Turn on your computers” he ordered. Before I could even touch it, as soon as my hand got near it sparks flew and the screen went white and the computer was fried.

“Natasha what are you doing to that computer!” Mr. Kennedy yelled at me.

“Nothing I didn’t even touch it!”. Which was true I didn’t even touch the danm confound thing.

“Yes you did you liar” “Yeah we saw you messing with the wires” the two girls Roxy and Shakira who on a regular basis bullied me both convicted me of something I didn’t do.

They were the two nastiest meanest girls in school.
“I didn’t you stupid cow!” I told Shakira, the fat one of the duo.

“Natasha get your bag and go to the Deans office!” the teacher yelled at me.

And so I did. I grabbed my backpack slung it over my shoulder and stalked out of class with a note the teacher wrote in scribbled angry handwriting saying: Natasha has been engaging in destruction of property please call her parents and have her sit with the principal.

Stupid teacher. I didn’t do that. I don’t know what happened but that couldn’t have been me I didn’t even touch the danm thing.
I walked into the Deans office and was met by a blast of cold air.

“Hi, do you have a note?” the cheery front office lady asked.
“Yeah” I said and handed her the note.

“Oh dear” was all she said and told me to follow her. I followed her into the indoor suspension room. Basically all of them were weird looking Goth’s and jersey shore doppelgangers.

Only one girl seemed pretty normal. She had sandy hazel blonde hair and emerald green eyes a thin nose and pink lips that blended in with her pallid white skin. She looked average. I pulled my hoodie on and sat in the empty seat next to her.

“Hey” she whispered.
“Hey” I whispered back.
“I’m Sarah” she whispered.
“Natasha” I whispered and took her outstretched hand and shook it.
“So what brings you to suspension?” she asked.

“Destruction of property, I didn’t even touch anything and that’s what they’re blaming me for” I whispered to her. “And you?” I asked.

The usual, I wouldn’t listen to a teacher, Latisha’s busting me out though”
“Do you want in?” Sarah asked me.
“Sure”

The next thing I knew Sarah tapped my shoulder and was standing like she had flashed there suddenly. A girl with latte dark skin and a braid running down her back and brown hazel eyes stood next to her. Where had she come from? What had happened? Almost as if reading my mind Sarah answered my question.

“She’s a half demon and that’s her power, time”
What? Were these people crazy? Talking about half demons and time.

“If you don’t believe us then check this out. She pointed at a fly suspended in air. How?
“If not just look at the rest of the class” I looked at a girl with her mouth open chewing gum. I looked at the teacher with a magazine and the page flipped but suspended in the air right in the middle.

They were for real.

“But how…” “We’ll explain it on the way” the girl I’m assuming was Latisha “on the way to where?” I asked. “Your new foster home” she said.

“You mean you guys are the new foster parents my foster mom was talking about?”

“Yeah, Rachel made us look older so we could get you”
“Who’s Rachel, and what do you want with me?”
“We’ll explain it all on the way”, Latisha said her nose bleeding.
“Are you ok?” I asked her in shock. “No I can’t hold them much longer” she said. “well then come on” Sarah said and led us out of the classroom. Outside everything was normal people were moving and time kept its pace.

“No time to explain we need to move” Sarah said.

I followed her and Latisha outside and they led me over to a black jeep.
“Nice ride” I said and jumped into the back seat. Latisha drove wildly running red lights and stop signs I’m surprised we didn’t get stopped by police.

“So what do you want to know?” Sarah asked me.
“Wait I already know what you want to know” she told me. “you want to know how I know what you’re thinking. That’s because I’m a half demon and my power is telepathy” she said.

“ok then what do you want with me?” I asked her.
“we want you to join the rebellion” she told me. “rebellion against what?”
“the core” she said bluntly. Latisha turned in front of a metal bar with a no crossing sign plastered on it.

She got off and opened it and got back in and drove through then got off and closed it behind us.

“What’s that?” I asked her. “The demon world, sometimes they escape from there and have children on this earth, me and Latisha are the result of a human and a demon inter breeding.”

“They’re goal” Latisha said. “Is
to over-ride this earth and kill all humans”
“It’s genocide and we won’t accept that” Sarah said.
“So why do you need me?” I asked.
“Believe it or not you have a power, you just haven’t recognized it yet, but with our help you will”

“I do?”
“Yeah I’ve been watching people in the school to scan them for powers and you were it, you proved it today, you’re either a techno path or a telekinetic or maybe even both.”

“you mean that was me with the computer today”

“Yeah” she said. No way but I didn’t even touch it.
“That may be one of your powers doing afflicting objects with your mind”

“And you’ll help me with it, so I don’t do that again” I said.
“Yeah that’s what friends do right”

“Thank you” I thanked.
We reached a house in a clearing.
It had a wraparound porch and a roof deck and on the roof a widows walk. The roof was an indigo blue and the house was painted white.
“That’s my new foster home?” I asked excitedly.

“It’s beautiful” I said.
“Thank you” Latisha and Sarah both said in unison.

We parked the car inside the garage and I saw the floor plan. They had two floors the first one held Larfor and Jaypes’s room whoever that was. It also held the kitchen and the training room. And there was a wall that separated the stairs to go upstairs from the rest of the house. How did they get upstairs?

“There’s a portal on the wall” Sarah said matter-of-factly as if that should explain everything . “It lets you go through the wall. It keeps the intruders from going upstairs, and that’s if they get past Jaypes and Larfor. Whose Larfor and Jaypes?
“They’re twins and they’re werewolves” Sarah said.
“Larfor, he’s the kind one but he’s playful just like his brother Jaypes who by the way hates new comers but once he gets used to you he just teases you” Sarah said.

“Oh joy” as if I didn’t get made fun of enough at school.
“Just give him a chance”
“Besides you are the youngest here we know better” Latisha said.
“Everybody in this house is either seventeen or fifteen” Sarah Informed.
“The twins are fifteen, me and Sarah are seventeen”

“You guys are seniors, I’m only in eight grade and I’m fourteen!” I said.

“That’s why we said you’re the
youngest so just listen to us” Latisha snapped.

I scoffed. “Whatever” I said.
They led me through the Garage door into the kitchen.

“This is the kitchen” Sarah said. and when we exited there was a door that I began to head to “that’s Larfor’s room” she said. Almost as if hearing her he came out. He was tall and lanky with a slim build, he had auburn red hair and brown eyes and a serious expression on his face.
“Hey Jaypes fresh meat he yelled to the right of him to the other room , and smiled a lazy smile at me.

“For real, again!” someone yelled
back to Larfor.

“What?” I spat out with venom.
He blushed and Sarah whispered to me.
“You’re his type”
“She is not!” Jaypes yelled.
I noticed he had ruffled auburn hair and a toned slim body and he wore a cross around his neck. He had chestnut brown eyes exactly like his brothers, the only thing different was they’re hair color. Jaypes’s was redder than Larfor’s and that Jaypes had adorable freckles. I felt like slapping myself for noticing his adorable freckles.
“What do you want, do you want to tell me to get lost?” I asked. “Well get in line because there’s a whole other lot of people who tell me the same thing”
He scowled and I stood my ground firm and scowled back.
He walked away angrily muttering to himself.
“wow I’ve never seen anyone stand their ground like that to my brother before” Larfor said.
I turned to face him.
He was inches away from my face. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end and I got goose bumps. I doubled back. “Oh I think I found you’re weak point , you don’t like close proximity’s” he said and strode over to my side so close our hips touched.
“Larfor leave the girl alone, she has enough to deal with” Latisha said.
“Alright” he said in his jazz singer voice. “But I’ll get you later, so what’s your name” he asked me.
“Natasha” I answered as he walked away and turned around to face me.
“The girl with light green eyes, I won’t forget your name” he said and winked at me then fled into his room.
“What was that all about?”
“It’s his way of being friendly” Latisha said and walked out continuing with Sarah on the house tour.

I slid my hoodie on for safety. The smell of sage over flooded my nose. I always felt safer with my hoodie on. My Mother had given it to me when she died. And it forever smelled like sage.

“The room next to Larfor’s is Jaypes’s”
Sarah said. “And in front of his room is the living room” Latisha said.

They led me into another room filled with exercise equipment, swords, stuffed dummies, and fighting sticks.

“This is the training room, until you figure out you’re power you’ll be training here with Jaypes in self-defense” Sarah said. “but…” “No buts your training” she said.

“Fine” I groaned.

Sarah touched the wall directly in front of us and it rippled. Latisha passed through a wall. This was the portal she was talking about. Sarah grabbed my hand jumped through and pulled me through. I shrieked. And wrangled out of her grasp, when I reached the other side I was breathing hard in fear, my heart going a thousand miles per hour.

“You’ll get used to it” Latisha assured. I shook my head weakly and clutched at my jackets hem holding it tight. I didn’t let it go and followed Sarah and Latisha up the stairs. The stars creaked and resounded throughout the staircase like a gunshot with every step.

When we reached the top we entered a hallway and turned and was met by another hallway, directly in front of us a door.

“That’s the meeting room” Sarah said.

“It’s where we decide on important
matters”

“If you’re a techno path you could help us create weapons to defeat the core” Sarah said with a grim face. You could tell she was absolutely serious about the rebellion.

Right behind this room is Rachel’s magic room. If you care about your life don’t go in there, it’s her private sanctuary” “whose Rachel” I asked.

“She’s a witch” Latisha said.
“She’s Larfor and Jaypes older sister” Sarah said. “They came all the way from Russia”

“Hello” said a crystal clear voice. I turned the corner of the hallway to see a beautiful girl with long flowing black hair, porcelain skin and violet eyes. Violet eyes how cool is that!
“Hi” I said awe struck by her beauty.

“Rachel this is Natasha, she’s a local” Sarah said putting a hand on my shoulder.

“Rodilsya na Rozhdestvo” she said in a language I recognized as Russian. “The girl born on Christmas day” she said. “That’s what your name means”.

“Glad I could talk to you” she said and fled into a room. There were only three doors along this hall. So where was my room?

“Your room is in the attic, it’s all set up with scrap metal and spare auto pats and a laptop and auto books you can try to practice there with our supervision ok” Sarah said. well show me! I wanted to say giddily

Sarah kicked the wall next to her and a ladder un-folded down from a flap in the roof.
“Were waiting for you” I ran up the stairs precariously because there was no handrail.

I entered a room with a twin size bed set against the wall under a round window the beams of the attic hung low so I could grab onto them I had a staircase leading up to the widows walk and a desk attached to the wall that ran along its full length. Shelved above to carry books and some auto books were already set there a bean bag chair in the corner. This was something I couldn’t even dream of, I had my own room.

I whipped around and hugged Sarah then Latisha. Tears swelling in my eyes.

Awe she’s so adorable I heard Latisha’s voice say.
“Did you just call me adorable?” I asked her. “No but I thought it” I could have sworn I heard her say something but it kind of echoed.
“It echoed?” Sarah asked. “Yeah she said something and it sounded like an echo”.

“Hold onto my hand” she ordered. I followed instructions.
“What do you hear?” she asked me.
I hear music.

“That’s because Larfor’s listening to music downstairs”.

“What else do you hear?’ she asked me.

“I hear chanting” I told her
“That’s Rachel, I hear her too” She said.

“How is this happening I thought you said I was either a techno path or a telekinetic not a telepath!” I yelled

“I think you’re a power mimic”
“But no one was there with supernatural powers in the lab this morning!” I told her.
“There’s a chance you may be both a mimic and a techno path or both a mimic and a telekinetic, most mimics have more than just that power” Sarah said
“There’s only one way to find out” Latisha said and took my hand.

“You see that clock on the wall” she pointed at a clock on the wall, “I want you to concentrate on stopping the hands on that clock”

“Ok” I said and clasped her hand tight.

I looked at the hand and it stopped. Everything stopped. Latisha was frozen in place and so was Sarah. I let go of Latisha’s hand and waved a hand in front of her eyes, they were un-blinking.
I tapped they’re shoulders and they came back to motion.

“Yeah your definitely a mimic” Sarah said. Latisha snapped her fingers and time began to move again.

“Let’s try for three shall we” Sarah said.
“Sarah you know that’s impossible the only way she could have three powers is if she were the…”

Sarah gave her a look that stopped her.

“I know what having the power of three means, I know the prophecy as well as you do” she said and recited something in ancient Latin.

“Tertio potestatem, facultatem omnem virtutem hodie vim pede” .

“The power of three, the power of all, the power of today, the power of feet” Latisha translated.

“Quod est key liberare nos omnes” Sarah ended it

“That is the key to free us all” Latisha translated.

“What does that have to do with me?” I asked

“It doesn’t yet” Latisha said.
“But it might, and we need to find out now, it can’t wait” Sarah rushed. She took my hand and I could hear her thoughts.

She might be the key to save us all.

She led me to the open computer and instructed me.

“Place your hand on the computer and think of what you want to search”.

I followed her instructions but as soon as I touched it the screen went white and I felt something inside me unsettle.

“That’s normal just think”

I thought of my mother’s name and whatever had unsettled let loose and the name was instantly typed into the computer on the white screen. A bunch of sites opened showing her name, articles of the car crash, and her death. It was too much for me to bear. I whimpered and a lamp crashed into the opposite wall and startled me so much that I let out a yelp and from the computer sparks flew and fell on my hand burning me, the screen went dead.

“She has the power of today, of technology”

“And she has the power of feet, of movement”

“She’s the key” Sarah said in realization.
Chapters:   1 2 Next »