Virtually Lost

Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I also hope that they will thoroughly enjoy this story, and recommend it to others.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next »

Cheater

I blacked out. I seemed to be doing a lot. Hopefully that was the last time. Again I woke up standing. This time there was an all-out battle raging around me. I remembered everyone who was in the group with Player Zero. We were all there, and we were winning. I knew I had to find them and get out of there. I saw a hill not too far away that would be the strongest strategical point.
As I was running, some sort of invisible force knocked me to the center of the battleground. Out of dumb luck, that's for Player Zero was. she was surrounded by any players. I fired and sent four players flying in all directions. The people near them turned around just in time to meet my laser.
Thanks to my help, she finished off the last six, no problem. I was glad that she was on my side.
"What's going on?"I asked as I sent few more lasers through the air.
"We were ambushed. I'm glad you could finally make it." She said as she literally disarmed her opponent.
"Someone hacked the Game. Somehow they found a way to pick players from separate points in the Game, and trapped them for a slaughter." There was a giant explosion off in the distance.
"I don't think that that force field is our biggest problem." Suddenly a mob of players rushed us from behind. Before I time to do anything, they were blown to dust. Player Zero deactivated her weapons.
"Nice shot." She complemented. There weren't very many people still left in the bubble. The rest of the battle would be a cake. Then something hit me.
"That wasn't me." Right on cue a big hunk of metal ripped to the smoke, and was heading right for us. We both barrel rolled out of the way. As it passed, I got a slightly better look at it. We got up and dusted ourselves off.
"What kind of suit was that?" I asked. Player Zero reactivated her weapons.
"It wasn't."
"Then what was it?"
"The lead hunter, a car with weapons. Whoever made the trap must've thought he might as well get himself a few upgrades while he was at it."
"Well, how do we destroy it?" She started walking forward.
"Let's go find out." She picked up into a run, and chased after the car. Reluctantly, I followed. Pretty soon we arrived at large, flat, metal square towards the edge of the bubble. The car was still destroying other players. Player zero begin to charge. To her, this was just a fun challenge. She carefully picked her moment to strike. When the car stopped to fire the main cannon, she jumped on the roof, and begin disabling anything and everything it had.
At about that time, the rest of the group caught up with us. I did a quick headcount. Not a single casualty. That was good, because I had a feeling that we are going to need all the help we could get. One of the players in a red suit walked up from behind me, and clapped me on the shoulder.
"That's Player Zero for you, always taking things head on." Whatever weapons weren't completely cut off, the rest were frozen solid. All that was left was to destroy the suit itself. The car was speeding toward her. Just as it was about to hit her, she sidestepped, and swung at the car. Everyone cheered, but our celebration the short lived. The sword glanced off the car, not even leaving the scratch. Whoever made the suit, made it nearly indestructible. Player Zero ran past us.
"Give it all you got!" She yelled.
As she commanded, everyone launched every weapon thinkable at it. Grenades zoomed, lasers bounced, rockets exploded, pulse cannons boomed, and every melee weapon was flung. We waited for the smoke to clear. At first there was complete silence, but then the violent screeching of tires filled everyone's ears. Again there wasn't even a scratch, but I had an idea.
"Hit it with a pulse blast on the left side!" I commanded. Just as the blast hit, I shot a well-placed grenade into the thin gap between the car and the ground. The car flew through the air, and landed upside down. Everyone looked around to observe my handiwork.
The car rocked from side to side, spinning its wheels, trying everything it could to move, but it was no use. It was stuck. As it finally came to this realization, it stopped. Slowly it began to sink into the metal, until the ground gobbled it up. In a few moments, there is no more sign of it. Around us we saw the bubble dissolve into the air. We were free again.
Everyone shifted their eyes to me, and I just shrugged and said the first thing on my mind.
"What's next?"

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

None0 said...
Here's my impression from the first 5 or so chapters.   Your plot moves way too fast. You need to slow down a bit and take the time to show your reader the details instead of just telling them to us. For example, in the first chapter, you tell everyone that the main character is the laughing stock of the school. Instead, how about backtracking a few days and writing a scene with the main character at school, and reflect a little on his thoughts there. This does take a lot of work, b... (more »)

Mrs. Hamers said...
This is phenomenal! The suspense is almost too much! Keep it up Eric M. :)

Liz F. said...

This is my first visit to Teen Ink as I was introduced to it by a young man who authored "Virtually Lost".

I very much enjoyed "Virtually Lost" and look forward to reading more from him.