New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Virtually Lost

Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I also hope that they will thoroughly enjoy this story, and recommend it to others.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Next »

Amnesia

“That’s me! I’m Matthew Andrews!” I yelled. He didn’t seem too convinced.
“Prove it!” He yelled. “What’s your birthday?” He nudged the sword closer to my neck.
“April 16th 2032.”
“Anyone could know that.” He snapped back. “What did you help design?”
“The Gamecorp Photosphere 1100, but I also make my own video games from time to time.” He paused for a moment. Maybe he was finally believing my story, or he was just deciding what to do with my soon to be severed head.
“One final question.” He said with cunning in his voice. “What’s my name?”
How could I possibly know that? I barely remembered who I was, much less who those people were. I searched my brain for answers. Then I remembered something. All it was, was a name, but that's all I needed.
"Player Zero." After saying it I prepared for the worst. The chances were that that sword was about to cut through me like a hot knife through butter. So much for trying to stay alive. That would be a new record for me. A game over in less than a minute. Then something different happened. I heard a girl's voice.
"Weapons down." The plasma sword transformed itself back into an arm. My attacker backed off, and offered his hand. Then he took off his helmet. He was actually a she.
She looked around sixteen. Her red hair flowed down her shoulders like a waterfall of flames. Her face was pretty, but pale. She wore a cold expression, which matched her icy blue eyes.
"Well?" She asked. "Aren't you going to take off your helmet?"
"Sure... how exactly do I do that?"
"Here, let me help you." She laughed. She slowly walked over to me. "There's a button right underneath the chin." She pressed it for me, and the helmet popped free from the suit. Carefully, I pulled it off.
"Hmm, not bad." I'm pretty sure that she was complementing me on my face, which was a first. At school, all of the girls looked disgusted whenever I was around.
"Now that you're here, we should be able to win this easily in a matter of hours. Come on, we need to get moving." She turned around, put on her helmet, and started off. Her gang followed, and I did the same. I ran up to the front to get a few words in with her.
"So what do we do now?" I asked.
"You tell me. What kind of terrain are we looking at? Are there any surprises we should know about?"
"No, you tell me. You're obviously the leader here. So tell me, what's going on?" I stepped in front of her, and took off my helmet again. I did my best to look her in the eye through the dark visor. She took off hers as well, and took a moment to study my face. Then a scowl fell across her ice cold face.
"You really can't remember, can you?"
"Does it look like I'm kidding?"
She breathed a deep sigh, and sat down. I couldn't make out what exactly she was sitting on. It looked like a slab of metal that randomly decided to burst out of the scarred earth around it.
"Just let me think." She said as she rested her face into her hands. "What's the last thing you remember?"
"I went to bed, and when I woke up I was here." She stood up.
"If you can't remember on your own, maybe I can refresh your memory." Her arms transformed back into weapons, and she raced at me full speed. I turned and ran, but it was no use. All of a sudden, my right leg locked up, and I tumbled to the ground. Once again her sword was above my neck.
"You know every move in the Game! You created it!" She yelled. "Why won't you fight back?" She was furious, but I didn't care about that.
"This is all just a game?" I said with relief.
"Yes, and it's your worst nightmare." She said coldly. "We're all stuck here, unless you can win. Remember! Just remember!" Her anger almost shook the ground. After a moment which seemed like an eternity, I finally replied.
"I can't."

None0 said...
Jun. 1, 2013 at 11:55 pm:
Here's my impression from the first 5 or so chapters.   Your plot moves way too fast. You need to slow down a bit and take the time to show your reader the details instead of just telling them to us. For example, in the first chapter, you tell everyone that the main character is the laughing stock of the school. Instead, how about backtracking a few days and writing a scene with the main character at school, and reflect a little on his thoughts there. This does take a lot of work, b... (more »)

Mrs. Hamers said...
This is phenomenal! The suspense is almost too much! Keep it up Eric M. :)

Liz F. said...
Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm:

This is my first visit to Teen Ink as I was introduced to it by a young man who authored "Virtually Lost".

I very much enjoyed "Virtually Lost" and look forward to reading more from him.