Virtually Lost

Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I also hope that they will thoroughly enjoy this story, and recommend it to others.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Next »

Suit Up

The first thing I remember is being woken up by a booming robotic voice. "Please select a suit."
Suddenly a spotlight came on in the center of the room, and a dark green suit of armor swung underneath it. It looked futuristic, and high tech. Then the suit transformed. The right arm, from the elbow down, was replaced by a red-hot glowing sword. The left arm turned into what looked like a club, but it was blue, and vapor fell off of it. A blue glow emanated from around the whole suit.
Then off to the side a large screen flickered to life. As I started reading the text, I was disappointed to discover that it only gave specifications on the suit.
What was the point of this? What was going on? I figured that I might as well play along until I could find out what was going on. The screen called the sword a “plasma sword”, and that it could cut through other suits. The club on the left arm was a “cryogenic club” that could freeze the joints on the other suits when hit. The blue aura around the suit was a light force field. Near the top, the monitor identified the whole thing as being only having light armor and light weapons.
I needed to play this the way I did video games. That was my best chance of finding out what was going on. If I was right, then it was also my best chance of survival. I looked down in front of me, and found what looked like a control panel. On it were three buttons. The outer two were red, and labeled left and right. The center button was green and labeled select.
I pushed the right button. The screen momentarily went dark, and a new suit swung into place underneath the spotlight. This one was light armor, medium weapons. That suit looked more like something that I would pick, but not quite. I had to cycle through all of the suits to make sure I found which one I liked best.
Pretty soon I found the one. It was medium armor, medium weapons, and middle ranged combat. You may be wondering why I chose an all medium suit. I chose it because it has a little advantage over everything. My armor was stronger than light, but not too heavy. I didn’t have to be too close to an enemy, but didn’t have to be extremely far away. My weapons could fire faster than heavy ones, but had more stopping power than light.
The right arm was a laser. For some reason I like the concept of cutting through my opponents from a distance. The left arm was a grenade launcher. Finally a weapon I was familiar with. On top of all that, the suit was blue, my favorite color. It was almost like this suit was made for me.
I was pretty confident with my choice. Very slowly, and cautiously pushed the select button. Then the room went dark, and I slipped out of consciousness.
I woke up standing, but only got one or two seconds to take in my surroundings. Then someone in a dark green suit tackled me to the ground, and held their plasma sword up to my neck. We were immediately surrounded by other players, and for a moment I thought I was saved. Then they all turned their guns and other various weapons on me. Then the leader asked me one of the most surprising questions I’ve ever heard.
“Where’s Matthew Andrews?”

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

None0 said...
Here's my impression from the first 5 or so chapters.   Your plot moves way too fast. You need to slow down a bit and take the time to show your reader the details instead of just telling them to us. For example, in the first chapter, you tell everyone that the main character is the laughing stock of the school. Instead, how about backtracking a few days and writing a scene with the main character at school, and reflect a little on his thoughts there. This does take a lot of work, b... (more »)

Mrs. Hamers said...
This is phenomenal! The suspense is almost too much! Keep it up Eric M. :)

Liz F. said...

This is my first visit to Teen Ink as I was introduced to it by a young man who authored "Virtually Lost".

I very much enjoyed "Virtually Lost" and look forward to reading more from him.