Virtually Lost

Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I also hope that they will thoroughly enjoy this story, and recommend it to others.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »

The Chase

"Matthew, you're going to be late for school!"
"Mom, can I just finish my game?"
"Matthew Andrews!" She warned.
"Fine!" I told the console to shut off, and after it told me to have a nice day, it obeyed my command. I'm glad I designed that part. My dad worked for the company that made it, and he got them to use my idea for voice-controlled power. That means that you can tell the system to turn on and off.
I hated school. I was the class laughing stock. You'd think that all of those hardcore gamers would be my friends, because of my dad. Wrong. They denounced me like everyone else the moment I beat them in one game fifty to zero. To everyone else, I was the nerdy kid who was the perfect target to pick on.
That was all about to change. It all started when Dad burst into English class. "Dad?! What are you doing?"
"Get your stuff, we need to go. Now." He commanded.
One minute I was in class, the next minute I was on the other side of the city. Dad was dodging traffic left and right, racing down the street at double the speed limit. He kept on looking over his shoulder like someone was following us. I didn't think anyone would be able to follow us, considering the way he was driving, so I highly doubted this.
I thought that then would be as good a time to ask as any. "Dad, what's going on? Who's following us?" He let out a deep sigh.
"The CIA."
"What! What's going on? What did you do?!"
"Matt, I can explain." He swerved past a few more cars. "I've been working on a new technology. It is sort of like virtual reality, but you don't need a controller. The Game sets up a connection between the console and the player, but something went wrong. The system had a few bugs, and got confused. Instead of simply connecting with the brain, the Game uploads all the information that was stored."
We were getting close to Dad's building. Pretty soon we were going to have to run. "Can't you just upload the information back into the brain?"
"It's not that simple. The technology is still only in the testing phase. To break the connection you either have to win, or get a game over."
"Well that shouldn't be too hard. All you need to do is lose."
"That's the problem. If you lose, the system doesn't know what to do with the information, so it just deletes the it, and breaks the connection. Then the player's heart stops beating, and dies within minutes."

None0 said...
Jun. 1, 2013 at 11:55 pm:
Here's my impression from the first 5 or so chapters.   Your plot moves way too fast. You need to slow down a bit and take the time to show your reader the details instead of just telling them to us. For example, in the first chapter, you tell everyone that the main character is the laughing stock of the school. Instead, how about backtracking a few days and writing a scene with the main character at school, and reflect a little on his thoughts there. This does take a lot of work, b... (more »)

Mrs. Hamers said...
This is phenomenal! The suspense is almost too much! Keep it up Eric M. :)

Liz F. said...
Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm:

This is my first visit to Teen Ink as I was introduced to it by a young man who authored "Virtually Lost".

I very much enjoyed "Virtually Lost" and look forward to reading more from him.